Sonic Series Fan Fiction ❯ Sonic Adventures: "On the road" ❯ Homeland ( Chapter 30 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Chapter 30: Homeland

And so it was that after a great adventure on wheels, our team moved on in the RV, homeward. Sonic the Hedgehog drove through the night and they soon reached New York City. It was a beautiful night with a star speckled sky, bright city lights and a calm windy breeze in the air. The RV came to a stop in that place and they stepped outside. Scotty felt his heart lifted when he saw the skyscrapers of his homeland. He turned to his friends with his bright blue eyes shining.

"Thank you all so much." He said, smiling and grateful in his heart.

"No problem, Scott." Sonic said, standing in front of him. "I hope you enjoyed the ride."

"Oh, it was a total blast!" Scotty said with excitement still remaining in his voice.

"We'll miss you, Mister Scott." Tails said as he stood beside Sonic.

"There's no need," Scotty said, "I live nearby, but here in this place, this is where I belong. It's the place I call home." Scotty stretched out his hand toward the great City.

"I understand." Sonic said, nodding. He quietly sighed and Scotty sensed doubt in his friend's heart about the journey home. "Well, see you later, Scott." Sonic turned to leave, but then Scotty gripped his hand, gently and Sonic turned to face the crime fighter in the eyes.

"I know the road is long," Scotty whispered to him, "But where your home stands is your heart. Wherever you stay, you'll find the way. Run like the river, follow the sun, fly like an eagle to where you belong." He gripped his hand tighter and then Sonic felt good courage.

Speechless for a moment, Sonic nodded his head with understanding. "Thanks, Scott."

"You're welcome." Scotty said, winking his eye. "Now take them home where it's safe."

After they all said goodbye, the Sonic crew entered the RV and departed. As Sonic drove on and left the City, he felt that he was being watched and he was. Scotty stood silently on a skyscraper and watched them leave. He proudly saluted them before the RV disappeared into the night.

= = = = =

Later…

The RV soon arrived at the girls' place, their apartment building where they lived close to each other. While Tails stayed inside the RV with Freeway, Knuckles helped Rouge with her things to the door, Shadow helped Tikal, and Sonic, as he promised Tails before, he helped Amy with her suitcase to her door. It was no easy task for a hero like him, but he always kept his word.

"Whew! There you go, one heavy suitcase." Sonic breathed, standing in front of Amy's door.

"Oh, thank you, Sonic sweetie!" Amy chuckled cutely with a smile.

"I am not a sweetie." Sonic murmured, blushing red in his cheeks.

"I really had a great time with you in the RV, Sonic." Amy told him, happily.

"Yeah, well…" Sonic cleared his throat, lost for words. "It was okay." He finally finished.

"It was wonderful." Amy shyly added, "I hope it will happen again." She smiled.

"Hey, with a hero hedgehog like me around, expect the unexpected." Sonic grinned. He swallowed hard when he saw Amy run her fingers through her banged hair, straitening it. "Well, goodnight and sleep tight, Amy." Then Sonic turned around to leave.

"Wait, Sonic!" Amy called and Sonic even surprised himself when he turned back.

"What do you want?" Sonic asked her with his arms crossed and his foot tapping.

"Aren't you gonna kiss me goodnight?" Amy asked him, sweetly.

"I…" Sonic could only say that and then he gulped, trembling in his legs until he fell down backward to the ground. Blushing, he quickly stood up and ran. "Sayonara! I'm gone!"

Amy shrugged as she watched the blue blur vanish. But she smiled as she closed her door. Meanwhile, we find Knuckles reaching Rouge's door and he brought the four suitcases to her, two at a time. He somehow did not mind. He even set them in front of the door before Rouge reached it with her key. She was surprised that he brought them over so quickly.

"Hey, what took you so fast?" She teased, smiling at the echidna.

"It's a secret." Knuckles teased her back, grinning. He brushed the dust off his arms.

"Well, thank you for carrying them over here." Rouge said and then she opened her door slightly. She turned back to the echidna. "It was a good time to be traveling with you." She said.

"I'll say. I like the new challenges and the treasure hunting." Knuckles added.

"There's always tomorrow." Rouge whispered and before Knuckles could understand what she meant, his eyes closed as he accepted her goodnight kiss. "Goodnight, treasure hunter." Rouge whispered and then she closed her door, leaving one shocked echidna outside.

"Wha…" His mouth dropped open, surprised and he turned back to the RV, weak in his legs.

And then, Tikal found her door upstairs and Shadow quietly let the suitcase down. Now Shadow was no fool. He knew there was a time to retreat and that time was right then.

"Goodnight, goodbye." He said and turned back, leaving the female echidna.

Tikal smiled, knowing he was just shy. "Goodnight." She said, quietly and closed her door. The RV drove again, moving on to the next stop, which was at Shadow's place.

= = = = =

Soon the RV came to the next stop and Shadow stepped outside with his suitcase, feeling great to be home again, a relief and thankfulness to be back safely. The others came out with him. It was still dark outside with beautiful bright stars above them. They said goodnight and farewell.

"It's been great, Shadow. But you better get some rest in a real bed." Sonic grinned.

"Goodnight, Shadow." Tails said, and he waved his hand with a smile.

"Bye." Shadow said quietly, and then he turned, leaving.

"See you again soon." Knuckles said, and then he asked, "You need any help with that?"

"No." Shadow answered, simply and then he continued his way toward the door.

Sonic silently turned back to the RV and the others followed him, leaving Shadow at his home. The blue hedgehog turned to look at his friend once more before turning the key, and that is when he saw Shadow having a little trouble with the suitcase. It was heavy for him.

"Poor old guy." Sonic whispered, after a sigh and then he stepped out again. "Shadow, wait!" Sonic called and he ran to him, standing near the door now. Shadow stopped, waiting.

"Why did you bother to come back?" Shadow asked him, quietly.

"I want to help you with that. Please let me." Sonic pointed to the suitcase.

"No, I can handle it myself, as always." Shadow told him.

"Not always. I can tell you're tired, Shadow. So, just let me help, okay?" Sonic asked.

"Fine." Shadow sighed; giving up and he hid a smile. "Just grab the other end." He said.

"Great, let's go." Sonic smiled and he gripped the other handle, carrying it. It was not very heavy, but Sonic thought for a moment what it would be like to be older. They made it to the door with no trouble and the hedgehogs let the suitcase down. "There you go." Sonic said.

"Thanks." Shadow was quiet in his voice. They stood without words for a moment.

"You're not angry, are you?" Sonic asked, breaking the silence.

"No. Why do you asked?" Shadow wondered.

"You're so quiet, more than usual I mean. Is something wrong?" Sonic asked him.

"No, it's just…" He sighed and looked at the RV once more. "I guess I'll miss it."

"What? But you won't miss me?" Sonic asked, joking and let out a laugh.

Shadow just lifted an eyebrow, giving him a confused look. Even though that speedy blue hedgehog was a pest at times, Shadow knew he would miss him. He finally spoke. "It was quite a ride, one that will not be forgotten. Right now, I need my ultimate sleep."

"Understood, pal." Sonic nodded his head. They shook hands. "Goodnight, Shadow."

"Night." Shadow whispered, and then he closed the door, quietly. Sonic returned to the RV and drove on. Shadow watched them from a window. He opened his mouth slightly as if he was going to say something, but then he decided to think of it instead. So he did and kept it to himself. He truly did enjoy the journey, to be on the road with them in that RV… and the coffee was good.

Later, the RV reached the home of Knuckles and Sonic stopped for the red echidna. Sonic hopped outside from the driver's side door and came to his friend's side with Tails standing by.

"This is it, Knuckles. You're home." Sonic said, smiling.

"Sweet home." Knuckles sighed, looking toward it and then he faced the green eyes. "Thanks for the ride, blue blur." He said, "I've seen a lot of strange things, so many that it would be impossible to write about it!" He and his two friends laughed. They could hardly even think of it.

"Can you imagine, our adventure on wheels in that RV in print, in words? Ha!" Sonic laughed.

If they only knew… But anyway, they shook hands and said goodnight before leaving. Sonic and Tails helped Knuckles to the door, and then they departed, driving away in the RV. Sonic drove quietly and he noticed how empty and quiet the RV was now that only Tails and Freeway remained inside with him. He sighed heavily and Tails heard him. He did not ask why he sighed, because he knew already. But then Sonic smiled when he saw his home. It was sweet indeed.

"We're home, Sonic. I can see it from here." Tails pointed while sitting in the passenger seat.

"Yeah, finally." Sonic said, and he soon came to a stop, parking the RV. It seemed strange at first to be home again, but he pushed that feeling aside. He was glad to be there, at home again.

Tails carried the sleeping baby deer Freeway in a blanket and he watched as Sonic stood in front of the garage, looking at the faithful RV. "Will she ever see the road again?" Tails whispered.

Sonic was silent for a moment, and then he answered. "Tails, you never can tell. Someday, we may just find ourselves on the road again. This RV has adventures in its wheels." Then the garage door closed, leaving the RV to rest in the darkness of silence.

It was very late when Sonic and Tails returned home, so they both went to bed right after brushing their teeth. Freeway slept in a basket near them in the quiet bedroom. Sonic quietly removed his shoes and then he watched as Tails covered Freeway with a blanket.

"She'll be real surprised to find herself in a house tomorrow, instead of an RV." Tails said.

"Yeah, but for now, let's go to sleep." Sonic whispered, and then he yawned.

Tails climbed into his bed, sleepily. "Goodnight, Sonic, and thanks." He smiled.

"Goodnight, little buddy. See you in the morning." Sonic whispered, and then he turned off the lamp, allowing the bedroom to become dark and silent. He soon fell asleep, but even in his dreams, he was out there somewhere, having an adventure with his friends.

And that is how it came to pass that Sonic the Hedgehog and his crew had returned safely home, and they came to the end of their incredible journey. Sonic felt a change after the road trip, and it was good. It was a great memory to treasure and a journey to remember. And that is our story.

Sayonara, my adventurous readers.

= = = = =

End credits…

"I will always return." (Finale)

[Song by Bryan Adams from soundtrack CD Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron]

I hear the wind call my name

The sound that leads me home again

It sparks up the fire, a flame that still burns

To you I will always return

I know the road is long but where you are is home

Wherever you stay, I'll find the way

I'll run like the river, I'll follow the sun

I fly like an eagle to where I belong

I can't stand the distance, I can't dream alone

I can't wait to see you. Yes, I'm on my way home

And now I know it's true, my every road leads to you

And in the hour of darkness, your light gets me through

You run like the river, you shine like the sun

You fly like an eagle. Yeah, you are the one

I've seen every sunset, and with all that I've learned

Oh, it's to you, I will always return

= = = = =

Cast of star characters…

Sonic the Hedgehog --- SEGA

Shadow the Hedgehog --- SEGA

Miles Tails Prower --- SEGA

Knuckles the Echidna --- SEGA

Amy Rose --- SEGA

Rouge the Bat --- SEGA

Tikal the echidna --- SEGA

Omochao --- SEGA

Dr. Eggman Robotnik --- SEGA

Metal Sonic --- SEGA

Chaos Zero --- SEGA

Special guest stars…

Mario and Luigi "Super Mario Brothers" --- Nintendo

Freeway the Deer --- C. E. Rodriguez [author]

Spider Man --- Marvel Comics

Ecco the Dolphin --- SEGA

Scotty the Crime Fighter --- C. E. Rodriguez [author]

Elk [myself, the author]

Summer the Hedgehog --- C. E. Nett

Special thanks to…

My sisters: Monique, Bijou, Colette and Beau. My brothers: Lorran and Einnar. My parents.

And I thank all my readers, adventurous to read and travel along in my written work.

A new day brings a new adventure… but for now… Rest easy, heroes.