Sonic Series Fan Fiction ❯ Sonic Riders: Urban Struggle ❯ Chapter 2: The Ex World Grand Prix ( Chapter 2 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Chapter 2: The EX World Grand Prix
At night, at the top of a building, a familiar trio walked along the edges of the structures. Sonic the Hedgehog, Tails Prower, and Knuckles the Echidna were trying to find a chaos emerald in which Tails' scanning device had picked up. Tails spoke out, "I think the signal's coming from around here." He held up the circular scanning device, with the words "Jamming Wave" displayed on its screen. "Hmm... that's really weird. It looks like something's jamming the radar signal." The kitsune said.
The sound of shattering glass pierced the air nearby as Sonic turns to the direction of the noise. Higher up on another building, three figures cloaked within the night's shadows broke through a couple of windows; all three of them were riding on Airboards. Knuckles points to them and shouted, "There! What's that?"
Suddenly, an icon on Tails' handheld device focuses around its digital representation of the three airborne figures. The yellow kitsune shouted, "Sonic!! The Emerald's over there!" The three riders land on the ground and rushed off down the close-by street using their airboards.
Sonic exclaimed with a grin, "All right! Now we're talkin'!" The blue hedgehog then jumps off the building he's on, spinning rapidly in the air during his descent. Six police units were giving chase to the three figures as they sailed through the highway at high speed. As Sonic lands on the ground in front of the individuals, he braces himself to stop the airboarders, but the one closest to him, green in color, merely swerves passed Sonic. While Sonic looks in surprise at the fleeing green rider, Knuckles drops down behind Sonic and punches one of the other two riders, a gray one, off his board and spiraling through the air. Tails looks at the insignia on the Airboard, which depicts a lamp. The last of the three riders, a purple one, picks her grey companion out of the air and continues moving on without so much as a pausing or breaking sequence.
Knuckles growled, watching his opponent go, "Shoot!"
Sonic then picks up the board dropped by the grey rider, then flinging it into the air, runs towards and flips himself onto it. Quickly making it into the tunnel where the action's taking place, Sonic weaves in and out of the cars, until he caught up with the green member of the trio. They exchange a few blows; seeing that it isn't working, Sonic swerves around the green rider, getting ahead of him.
The green rider comments, "Oh, not bad." Clearing the tunnel, Sonic looks back to his rival to see nothing behind him. His rival has disappeared.
"What the--?!" Sonic looks up to see the competitor throttle down from the sky, his speed generating an incredible amount of wind behind him. The pseudo-shockwave from his opponent's landing sends Sonic spiraling through the air, just like the grey rider who Knuckles punched before.
The green rider scoffed, "Hmph. So, you're supposed to be the fastest thing alive?" He then rides out of view, as the grey rider, still hanging on to the purple rider's board, grabs his board out of the air. Tails and Knuckles caught up to Sonic as he lifts himself off the ground. The blue hedgehog then smirked, "Oh, new competition!"

-------------
The next day, Eggman broadcasts himself onto a large, television monitor, which previously read "Air Board Festival". Eggman chuckled, "Oh, hohohohoho!"
Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles exclaimed, their eyes looking at the monitor, "Eggman!"
The evil dictator announced, "Ladies and gentleman! Welcome everyone! I hope you're all ready for a show; we've got an exciting event, just for you. Hohohohoho! Since you all seem so bored, I put together a little something extra to spice things up! I call it the "EX World Grand Prix"; a tournament to see who's the best of the best with Extreme Gear. Not just a race, but a special race, to see who's the fastest. And... these races are no-holds-barred! All contestants pay a simple entry fee of one Chaos Emerald, and the winner takes it all! So, let's see who among you dares to meet this challenge!"
The monitor then goes back to its previous Air Board advertisement. Sonic then shouted, "Eggman again! Just what is he up to this time?!"
Eggman reappears on the screen and said, "And there's more! Before I forget, I'll present the current contestants. These players, they're hot; the best racers I could find!" Three, familiar individuals appeared on the monitor, along with the statistics for their airboards; Storm the Albatross, Wave the Swallow, and Jet the Hawk. As Jet's information comes up on-screen, Sonic immediately recognizes him.
Sonic exclaimed, "Hey, that's...!" He thought about the tournament for a moment, "The EX World Grand Prix, huh? Let's do this!" Sonic, along with Tails and Knuckles, walked away. They were unaware of a familiar, small and white figure hiding behind the shadows of a building, her pink eyes spying them from afar before she pulled out a walkie-talkie and whispered, "Jet, they're entering the tournament, over."
A familiar voice answered from the walkie-talkie, "Roger, come back to base and we'll discuss our next move with the others." With that, the figure stepped out of the shadows, revealing to be Serenity as she spreaded her wings and soared towards the sky at full speed, ascending higher into the distance until she disappeared from view.

-------
Back in Jet's room, Serenity gave her report to Jet, who seemed satisfied. The green hawk then asked, "So, that hedgehog is entering the Grand Prix to settle a score with me, huh?" Serenity nodded.
"Well, that's a suprise. I expected nothing less from the speedster." Jet replied, "Okay, I need you to spy on Sonic again and collect only valuable information from him. Oh! If you see him again, tell him that I'm looking forward of racing him in the finals before you do your mission. That is, if he makes it. You got that?"
"Yes, sir!" Serenity responded, and, and with that, the white child raced out of the room, nearly bumping into her sister, Angel, who was called in by Jet.
The pink girl asked, "Why is my sister in a rush?"
"I just assigned her a mission to spy on the great hero on Earth." Jet replied, looking at his control box in his hand.
"You sent my sister to spy on Sonic?!" Angel asked with shock.
Jet replied, "Yeah, why not? She did a perfect job on her first mission. She might do the same on the next. Besides, she is one of the leaders of the Urban Freedom Fighters, after all."
"Is there a reason why called for me?" Angel asked, a bit furious about Jet sending her sister on a risky mission. Hearing footsteps from behind her, the pink girl glanced to her left to see Wave the Swallow walk up and stood beside her with a smile.
The green hawk replied, "I need you to go with Wave. She has a perfect scheme to terminate one of the blue hedgehog's friends during a race."
Angel echoed, not liking the sound of the word, "Terminate?...Okay..."
"Well, are you two going or what?" Jet questioned impatiently, "We haven't got all day."
Wave said, "Let's get going, cutie." She then turned around and started walking towards the door with Angel close behind. The pink girl gave Jet one last glare before she closed the doors behind her.