Sonic Series Fan Fiction ❯ The Second Emerald Master ❯ Chapter 3 - Death Always Seems To Be One Step Ahead ( Chapter 3 )

[ A - All Readers ]
Chapter 3 - Death Always Seems To Be One Step Ahead   Wednesday, June 13, 2010, 7:21 PM; Los Angeles, CA, LAX Main Terminal   The plane lands at Los Angeles International and pulls into the terminal. Andrew, Lindsay, and Dwayne are finishing up getting themselves ready for the funeral.   “You all set to go?” Dwayne asks them. “I’m ready,” Andrew replies, “But as for Lindsay...” “I’m coming, I’m coming!” she says, shouting to them, “Looking this good takes time.” “You look fine all the time... except for the 5 o’clock shadow you had that one morning, so let’s go!” Andrew demanded.   She manages to finish in the bathroom and then comes speed walking out of the bathroom and out of the plane into the terminal.   “About time...” “Hurry up!” she shouts, “If you move any slower, we’re gonna be late!”   Andrew and Dwayne stop and look at each other, surprised at what Lindsay said.   “Did she just...” “I’m not saying anything, Andrew,” Dwayne said, “Even though she’s the one who took the longest to get ready.” “What the- dude, you just- *sigh* never mind...” he says, as he makes his way out of the plane into the terminal.   “What did I do this time?” he asks himself as he walks into the terminal.   As they make their way to the front entrance of the terminal to their limo, they encounter several reporters looking to talk to them about Felicia’s death. They continue to push past the reporters, until they hit a wall of reporters they can't get past.   “Just a second, just a second,” Andrew says, as they all quiet down. “Now look, if any of you have anything to want me to say, go to the Staples Center downtown. You can get all of the information you need there.”   They all get into the limo and signal the driver to pull off onto the highway.   “What did you tell them?” Lindsay asked. “I just told them to go downtown to the Staples Center if they wanted to hear what we had to say about mom,” he said.   To be honest, I had no idea as to what I was going to say at the funeral. My mind was still flying around about what had happened to her. We don’t even know she died; it could’ve been by a gunshot wound, a stabbing, hit by a car; who knows, there’s about a thousand ways to die.   “Lindsay, do you know what you’re gonna say about your mom?” Dwayne asked. “I don’t know; probably reminisce through mom’s memories for a moment and then say my final goodbyes,” she replied.   Dwayne then looks both of them and then signals the driver to pull into a fast food drive-thru.   “You guys hungry?” he asked. “How about getting you something to eat?” “I guess,” Andrew says, unsure of himself, “We haven’t eaten since 11:00 this morning, so I guess some food wouldn’t hurt.”   The driver turns into the restaurant’s parking lot and stops.   “Here,” he says, giving Andrew and Lindsay $20 apiece, “Go get what you want and then come back.”   They say thanks and then get out of the limo to make their way into the restaurant. As they were walking, they hear something zooming through the air; and just as Dwayne started getting out, it turned out to be a small, short-range missile that explodes as soon it hits the limo. The impact of the missile causes Andrew and Lindsay to fall over; as they turn around and see the damage, they see Dwayne on the ground, unconscious.   “Oh, s***!” Andrew exclaimed, “Lindsay, call an ambulance!”   She pulls out her phone and calls the ambulance. Andrew constantly shakes Dwayne, seeing if he can wake him up.   “Dwayne, come on,” he said, frantically, “Wake up! DAMN IT, WAKE UP!” “Oh, Andrew?” he said, dazedly. “Just hang tight; the ambulance is on the way.”   Andrew turns around to Lindsay.   “Lindsay, help me move him away from the car.”   Andrew and Lindsay pick up Dwayne carefully and move him away from the flaming limo as the fire truck and ambulance pulls up to the scene. The firefighters put out the flaming car and the paramedics lift Dwayne into the ambulance and speed him off to the hospital.   Whoever that this guy is, he really wants us dead. Ever since mom was killed, our lives have been completely turned upside down. Lindsay and myself are going to have to watch our backs for here on out just to make sure that we aren’t attacked... or worse.   Meanwhile, outside the Staples Center, Cross is still waiting on Andrew, Lindsay, and Dwayne to get here, even though he doesn’t know what’s just happened.   “I wonder where they could be,” he said, “They should’ve been here a while ago.”   He continues to pace as his phone begins ringing and pulls it out to answer it.   “Hello? What?! Just now?! I’m on my way.”   He hangs up, hops in his car, and heads down to the FBI HQ downtown, where Andrew and Lindsay are waiting.   “Andrew, how did he find out we were in town?” Lindsay asked. “I don’t know, probably from someone’s TV or the radio,” he replied, “But it’s like we aren't safe anywhere anymore.” “If it was only possible to go somewhere where we couldn’t be found...”   Before anything else is said, Cross bursts in the door, exhausted from running.   “Andrew... Lindsay...,” Cross said while out of breath, “You... you need to see this...” “Okay,” Andrew said, “Just sit down and rest for a minute so you don’t pass out...”   Cross hands Andrew the note as he sits down.   “Lindsay, come check this out,” he says, as he begins reading the note, “It says, ‘It’s been about two weeks since I arrived here in Guadalajara, Mexico at the ancient Mayan temple. Everyone’s been working really hard. After being with one of the search parties, I managed to separate myself as I came across these glowing lights down another passage and walked towards it. After I got to the end, there were seven emeralds all arranged in a circle with one in the middle.’”   He stops reading the letter and then turns to Cross.   “Where did you find this?” he asked. “In a safe in the basement of your house,” Cross replied. “What were you doing in our house?” “Dwayne wanted me to check up on things there making sure everything was all right. We heard that someone was sneaking around your house earlier. Come on, I’ll take you to your house.”