Sonic X Fan Fiction / Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction / Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monster GX Fan Fiction ❯ Sonic Duels: The Shadow Clan Saga! ❯ Wisdom of an old mole ( Chapter 9 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 9: Wisdom of an old mole.
(Authors Note's: Warning, the following scene may be very graphic. If you don't like blood and gore, you were warned.)
 
Somewhere situated near Radical City, a government science factory, under high protection. None personnel have no access. Inside, the scientists were running around frantically.
“We've made a breakthrough, the duel spirit has merged with the girl!” An apprentice said.
“Incredible, she developed wings?” A scientist asked. Inside a small pod was a young girl, a young three tailed fox, with long hair. She was in a large contained capsule, filled with water, on life support. She had spread large black wings in the pod, her hands had white, green and black claws, her lower body spawned a large black tail and her legs were mutating beyond anything seen. She had horns coming from her back and her head, she was a monster.
“Sir, this doesn't feel right.” A woman researcher asked.
“Of course it is, this could be a medical breakthrough.” The scientist leader said. “Besides, she lost all touch of humanity or whatever the hell she is long ago. She's long since been dead.” With that said, the young fox in the pod slowly opened her imperial violet eyes and looked around, the water stung her eyes a little and she moved slightly, suddenly feeling the extra weight of not only the water, but the equipment and mutations.
“Sir....She...she's gaining consciousness...” Spoke a frightened apprentice.
“What?!” The scientist was not impressed. “The level of Tubocurarine chloride, Pancuronium and Vecuronium in that pod is enough to keep a herd of elephants unconscious.” The girl looked at her surroundings, quickly followed by herself and she began to panic. Despite the fact she couldn't speak, nor was it visible that she'd probably be crying, it was clear she was terrified and confused, and she wanted to know where she was, what she was and why she was here. The scientists were amaised. “Up the dosage, she needs to return to sleep.” With that, the scientists took over from the apprentices and began typing. Inside the pod, the girl keeled over and gripped her head, curled in a ball.
 
`Where am I? What am I doing here? Who are these people?' She asked in her head. `Where's my mummy? And my daddy?'
 
`Don't be afraid.' A voice joined hers in her head, she opened her eyes and looked around, then the chemicals began to work as she saw everything spinning and she felt sick.
 
`Who are you?' She asked in her mind.
 
`We are one, you and I... We have been pawns in these sick human's games for too long, it's time to leave.' The voice spoke to her.
 
`Leave? But I don't know where I am...' The girl replied.
 
`I shall show you the way...spread your wings...and take revenge on the ones who ruined you and I.' The voice encouraged her.
 
`I want my daddy...' She thought. She curled up, her wngs beginning to spread, but the barrier of the pod stopping them.
“Up the dosage...” The scientist roared. “Knock her back out!!” The wings pushed against the glass, it beginning to crack and the water begins seeping out. “NOOOOWWW!!!” The leader roared. `...I want my daddy...' Sparks began to appear around the girl, pitch black sparks, and normal sparks around her pod. She let loose and her wings burst out and the pod exploded, glassed, rubble and water flying everywhere. In the smoke the mask on the girls face had dropped to the floor, a tube which had previously been down her throat had completely detached. “I....” The dust began to clear. “Want....” The scientists looked at the now destroyed pod at the mutated experiment, wings and tails wagging and flapping violently. “MY...” The girl looked up, her once violet eyes now a horrifying yellow. The girl let out a horrid screech. “DADDY!!!!” The shout starting in her high soft voice to something capable of being compared to a banshee shriek. The Scientists all had to cover their ears in a futile attempt to block it out, but the screech was so much, think glass cracked and shatter, the scientists felt their ears explode on the inside, blood beginning to pour from wherever it could seep and slowly the succumbed to death, those who were fortunate to live were sliced in half by the lethal wings of the mutant. The girl had now fully changed into a horrible monster, hell-bent on revenge on this facility, she walked over to the metallic door and ripped it from it's hinges, walking out into the corridor. Guards had already made their way over, heavy arms at the ready.
“An experiment has breached, sound the alarms!” A soldier yelled, “The rest of you, open fire!” The soldiers did as ordered and began to shoot at the girl, who blocked with one large wing, dust beginning to form around her. “Hold your fire! Cease fire!!!” The captain ordered, and as such, the bullets held, them waiting for the dust to clear. “Is it dead?” Suddenly, the claw arm of the girl shot out from the dust and took a soldier by the head and ripped him into the unseen area with a scream. In seconds, his lower body returned to the alone, the other half pinned to the roof, blood everywhere. The girl stood, covered in blood, fully mutated, save for her face. She dashed forwards, the dead guard's upper half dropping to the floor, the girls wings spread and most of the soldiers upper bodies or heads if they were crouched came off and blood spilled everywhere. More guards came and opened fire. The experiment girl turned and flung her tail round, hitting a pipe on the wall which sent a large spark down to the fuse room, causing an electrical error, the room exploded, the blast ripping through the building, taking anything and everything with it. All that remained after the final explosion was naught but rubble, all known life had ended here.
 
`Awaken...Awaken and take forth the destiny that is ours...Revenge was but a small step...now it's time...time for you to realise your power...MY power...'
 
From the rubble, a large concreate slab began to rumble, then lifted, pushing all metal bars and other rocks off, two large wings spread and flapped once...Not everything was destroyed...
 
~@~
 
2 hours had passed since Kiros had left the group. Tails and Sonic were enjoying a mutual 'non-speaking' pact with each other, and had settled themselves on opposite sides of the room. Marine was busy chatting with the others when Kiros burst in hurriedly.
"Sonic!!" he called breathlessly. "Sonic!!”
Sonic looked over and stuck his little finger in his ear as if he was searching for something absentmindedly.
"What's up, bud?"
"Need ya outside for a minute!!" Kiros replied. Then, as quickly he'd arrived, he was gone again. Marine looked at Sonic in amusement. "Well, looks like we best be off to see what's goin on, eh Sonic?" she asked.
"Yeah..." Sonic then walked out, closely followed by everyone present.
 
On the cliff edge, where a treacherous wind blew, a mole in a tattered old brown coat stood, seemingly unbothered by the surroundings. His bald head was covered by a few grey hairs, and he had a long grey beard. He stood with a cane, and looked up at Sonic. "You there." he said in a surprisingly sharp voice, booming despite his size. "Are you the one they call Sonic?"
"Well, they don't usually call me anything else...cept for old egghead who calls me 'Blasted Hedgehog.'" Sonic replied.
The mole chuckled. "Well then m'boy, I believe you and I have some business to discuss...about the Shadow Clan?"
"So, you're the one Kiros was talking about, you know, you didn't need to be dragged out here, we coulda come to you. I woulda been there in seconds." Sonic bragged.
"Don't be daft!" the mole replied briskly. "These old bones don't get to do allot these days. Besides, I'm more than able to keep up with you young whippersnappers....."
"As long as you walk slowly" the mole winked.
"Walk...slowly?" Sonic questioned, as if he'd been given a difficult math question.
"Please excuse him, sir." Tails said, bluntly. "This incompetent fool doesn't know the meaning of slow."
"Such shame....you learn many things if you slow down a little..." the mole sighed. "Ack, forgive an old mole for his lack of manners. My name is Zewl, and I am indeed the one young Kiros mentioned." Zewl said. "I too have been watching the Shadow Clan, but I'm not as young as I used to be. When Kiros mentioned you, I thought I'd sign up." At this, Kiros appeared suddenly, carrying a large bag of popcorn. "Yo guys." he said, munching away happily. Tails lifted an eyebrow curiously.
Kiros grinned. "Well, it's gonna be one hell of a show....." Tails and the others, except Shadow and Sonic all fell over comically.
Zewl shook his head. "Oh Kiros m'boy...whatever are we going to do with you?" he said laughing. "No matter. Sonic, I challenge you to a duel. I want to see if you are indeed as good as my young friend claims, and if you are worthy of my help."
"We're going to ask for help from this old coot? Give me a break...” Shadow said, before walking back to the house. "Tell me when he floors you, Sonic."
Sonic scratched his head. "Please ignore him, he's Mr. Grouch as we call him."
Zewl shrugged and smiled pleasantly. "Oh it's no matter to be worried about. I've known far worse than him in my time. In fact, some of the people I knew once would probably make him wet himself...." Zewl winked. "Now, Sonic, do you accept my challenge?"
Shadow halted, a vein popping out of his forehead in anger, but he ignored it and walked inside.
"You're on, old timer!" Sonic slotted his deck. "Bare with me though, it's been a while since i had a run, and this set up is new, so i need to break it in a little."
Zewl held up his hand and smiled. "I watched the tournament on TV, I know you're a skilled duellist. That isn't what I'm here to test."
"Fare enough, they say age before beauty, i'm hardly considered beauitiful, but they also say respect your elders and all that, so go ahead and take the first move." Sonic said, as he took his deck for one final shuffle, slotting and drawing 5 cards.
 
Zewl bowed slightly in thanks, and pulled his deck from his pocket. As he did so, his cane began to twist and grow around his arm, until it ended up what looked to be a wooden duel disk, save the strange glow that emanated from the card slots. He drew six cards and smiled. "I set 2 face-down's and play one monster in defence. Your move m'boy."
 
"This'll be a blast." Sonic said, drawing a card.
"Psssst" Tails whispered to Kiros. "You sure this old guy can duel?"
"This 'old guy' is the one who taught me how to duel. And since I've been playing, I've not beat him." Kiros replied quietly.
"Not once?" asked Shadow as he joined them outside.
"Erm....Shadow?" Tails asked curiously. Shadow just shrugged.
"It wouldn't be worth watching Sonic get his ass handed to him by an old-time" he replied.
 
"First things first." Sonic started. "I'll summon rescue cat." With that, a small kitten with a builders helmet appeared on the field. (300/100)
"Meow." It meowed sweetly.
Zewl smiled. "Such a cute creature. But just remember, our enemies won't go easy because of how cute your monsters are.."
"I'm aware, my little friend here has a special ability." Sonic said.
"Oh? Do tell." replied Zewl curiously.
"Yup, first, i send it to the graveyard to bring 2 level 3 or lower monsters from my deck to the field." Sonic said, searching his deck as the cat vanished.
"An interesting strategy. However, if I were able to negate your effect, would you have a back-up plan?" Zewl asked.
"Nope, but can you negate this ability?" Sonic asked.
"No. But my point is, that if I could, you would be stuck. Against the Shadow Clan, you can't afford that. You must always try and think 2 or 3 turns ahead, and always ahead of your opponent." the mole replied sagely. Kiros nodded.
"Yeah, well, you know, I'm sure I'll manage." Sonic said. "Even if i said yes, would you believe i have a backup?"
Zewl shrugged. "You may have done, or you may have said yes just to avoid sounding bad. But in that case, you'd only be lying to yourself. What would be the point in that?"
"Anyway, my cards are Nimble Momonga in attack mode (1000/100) and The Earth - Hex-Sealed Fusion also in attack. (1000/1600)" Sonic said as his monster appeared.
"Now, my effect comes with a side effect, my monsters are going to be destroyed the end of this turn." Sonic explained.
Zewl pondered this. "You must have something else up your sleeve. I'm anxious to see what it is exactly."
"Of course, i activate Polymerization!" Sonic said cheerfully. "I'll tribute the Earth from the field and Des Kangaroo from my hand to summon my favourite monster!"
"Ahh yes, your fusion monster." Zewl said as Sonic's huge monster appeared on the field. "I wasn't expecting you to bring him out so soon, but then, if I could plan every move, it wouldn't be a duel!" he grinned.
"This is true." Sonic said. "Say Hello, Master of Oz!" Master of Oz stood strong and high. (4200/3700) "Anyway, I think i'll attack with him now, to destroy the face down monster." Sonic said. Master of Oz rushed in to fight.
 
Zewl just smiled as his Giant Rat (1400/1450) was squashed instantly. "Well, not all bad. He let's me summon another creature from my deck...." the mole said happily as he searched his deck. "And here he is. My Criosphinx (1200/2400) in attack position!" The strange creature, half horse half goat, appeared on the field and snorted defiantly at Master of Oz.
"Interesting, well. That ends my turn." Sonic said. Then his Nimble Momonga exploded. "Seeing as he was just destroyed and sent to the graveyard, i'll use this cards special effect. When a beast type monster on my field is destroyed and sent to the graveyard, i can special summon this card to the field for just 1000 life points." Sonic said, as his monster appeared. "Say hello to my Green Baboon, Defender of the Forest." (2600/1800) <7000>
"Very nice Sonic." Zewl said as he drew his card. "You now have the advantage. But I wonder...." he continued as he studied his hand. "...how long it will last? I play Premature Burial, to bring back my Giant Rat <7200> and then I tribute him to summon my Guardian Sphinx (1700/2400) in attack mode. Your move m'boy."
'Clearly a trap...' Sonic thought. 'I'll take the bait.' "Well then, i'll switch Oz to Defence mode and attack your Sphinx with Green Baboon." Sonic said, as his monsters did as ordered.
"Which one?" Zewl asked innocently. "No matter, my trap card, No Entry, will make short work of your attack." The mole watched in contentment as the 3 monsters in attack switched themselves into defence.
Sonic shrugged. "Well, then, i'll summon my Giant Rat and end my turn."
 
Zewl drew. "Hmmm.....this might work. I summon my Petit Moth (300/200) in attack mode." The cute little catterpillar appeared on the field, and immediatly went to go and investigate a nearby clump of grass. Kiros face-palmed.
'I wonder...what's the coot up too?' Shadow thought, narrowing his brow.
"Not so fast Petit Moth. I'm afraid you aren't going to be around for very long. I'll play the spell card Double Summon, which allows me one extra normal summon this turn. So, I tribute my moth to summon the last of my Sphinx's, Hieracosphinx (2400/1200) in attack."
 
"Sonic's screwed...." Kiros said quietly, almost to himself.
Tails ears twitched. "I doubt it." she said to him.
 
"Not bad, old timer, but we got a long way to go." Sonic smiled, whilst he did his trademarkear search.
 
"You ever seen these monsters Tails?" Kiros asked as Zewl looked at his field.
"Hmmm...well now, I think I will use my Guardian Sphinx's effect to flip him into face-down defense position..."
Tails shrugged as Zewl's monster disappeared. "Now, as that was his effect, it doesn't count as changing his position. Which means, I can flip summon him. And that's bad news for you Sonic.." the mole said as the great creature returned to the field, and Sonics monsters began to disappear.
"Hmm, i expected something as such..." Sonic said as his monsters returned to his hand.
"Ah, but don't forget, as my Criosphinx is on the field, whenever your monsters get sent back to your hand, you lose one card of your choice."
"Hmm, guess my baboon has to go." Sonic said, discarding it
"With that done, I can now attack." Zewl said as his Guardian Sphinx took a swipe at Sonic
Sonic shrugged, then was struck. <5300>
"And now you Hieracosphinx." The bird-like creature pounced on Sonic. <2900>
"I think I'll end it here m'boy. Now, make this move count. Duel as if your very soul depended on it!"
 
Kiros nudged Tails. "Told ya!" he winked. "The old man is one of the best I've ever seen."
"Well, Sonic's an idiot anyway, now leave me alone." Tails walked away from Kiros to a more secluded area. Shadow just shrugged at Kiros and walked back inside the house without a word.
"You don't need to get so deep, old timer." Sonic said, drawing his card. "first, my Swords of Revealing Light can come play." Sonic said. "Then, one monster face down and i'll end."
Zewl drew. "Maybe not, but the next time you duel, the stakes might not be so light. I'll play the spell card Wasteland and flip my Guardian Sphinx into face-down defense position. Your move."
The cliffedge was suddenly transformed into a huge barren wasteland, large bones everywhere and nothing in sight for miles. <SORL = 1>
"Well, looks like i'm not making a good impression." Sonic said, scratching his head, then he drew. "A face down and end." He said.
Zewl drew. "M'boy, if you hadn't made a good impression, you'd know to it. But I have seen what the Clan do to those who lose, and it's no laughing matter. I can't duel for you, but I can at least try and give you the benefit of my experience. I too will end." <SORL = 2>
"Well, i guess i got nothing but the duel to lose." Sonic said. "I'll summon Des Koala." (1100/1800)
"I'll activate my trap, Torrential tribute." Sonic said, quickly.
Zewl shook his head. "Remember what I said about always being 2 turns ahead of your opponent? Well, this is why. I activate Seven Tools of the Bandit and negate your trap." <6200>
"Oh well." Sonic said. "Well, that'll do then." Sonic said, normally a duellist'd sound defeated at this point, but not Sonic. He seemed happy anyway.
Zewl drew. "This is what I wanted to see!" he said happily. "Not how well you duelled, but the spirit you put into it. It's been a good duel m'boy, and you fought well. I activate Mystical Space Typhoon to destroy your swords, flip summon Guardian Sphinx to return your monster to your hand, and after you discard, I'll attack with both Hieracosphinx and Guardian Sphinx for the win!!" Sonic tossed a card without bothering to look. <0>
 
"Well." Sonic stretched. "That was fun."
"Indeed it was." Zewl replied happily as his duel deck returned to being a simple cane. "Now, go fetch your friends. We should get going as soon as possible."
"True." Sonic said, as he zoomed off and back in seconds. "They're coming." He said.
Kiros called out to Shadow and Tails as Zewl sighed and got his duel disk back.
Zewl walked slowly over to Kiros and whispered in his ear. "My boy, do you see what i see? Is it me or is there chemistry between the strange two tailed fox and that black hedgehog?" He asked.
Kiros grinned. "You really don't want to get involved Zewl. Trust me, it's not pretty." he replied.
Zewl stroked his beard. "I wonder..."
He then walked over to Shadow and Tails and spoke. "How'd you two like to get married?" He asked. This made Shadow lush a little red, though with anger or embarrasment was questionable as a vein popped out of his forehead. Tails however flushed a deep red and wondered off.
"Why don't you mind your own business, you old coot!" Shadow roared.
"I was only asking...." said Zewl happily as he returned to a stunned Kiros. "You're right m'boy." he whispered to the hare. "Far too complicated to get involved in..."