Sorcerer Hunters Fan Fiction ❯ A Brother's Love ❯ 09 - Sole Determination ( Chapter 9 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

~Chapter 9~
 
 
 
The atmosphere in Eden had been stormy ever since the Sorcerer Hunters had returned; soon after they group had left the scene of the battle, Big Mama and Dota had appeared in front of the Sorcerer Hunters, recommending that they quickly returned to Eden; they quietly did so, and once there, Milphey had quietly left the others to tell Big Mama of what they'd found at the Salt household. Hazelnut, having accompanied the Sorcerer Hunters for that time, decided to leave back to Marata; Celery and Radish were still alive, but he trusted the Sorcerer Hunters to dispatch of them eventually. He had Walnut Brazil's magic at long last, and that was the most important thing. He left the rest in Big Mama's hands.
 
Big Mama sighed sadly as she took in what Milphey had just told her.
 
"And there seemed to be nothing you could do to bring him back?"
 
Milphey shook his head, "I think everyone was too shaken to do anything. Of course, it'd have helped if Radish and Celery hadn't been around; I don't think they'd let us get close to Marron... but on the other hand, the magic seems... linked, somehow. I don't know, it was just something that I felt, but..."
 
Big Mama nodded, "Yes, I know... the others... they've gone to their rooms, I assume?"
 
"Yes, I think so. Mama... Mama, before, you didn't transport Marron here because you couldn't. Theoretically, now that the barrier is gone from their household, can't you bring him back?"
 
"The matter is no longer just one of bringing him back, Mille Feuille. I could bring him back, but what would that do to him? He's plainly... different as to what he was before... you said yourself that you felt the magic was linked; those three, Celery, Radish, Marron... they're linked. Celery's magic is linked to Radish and his magic, which is in turn linked to Marron and, we assume, his current mind state. If we were to bring Marron here, the resulting shock of the change in the situation... I can't say what it'd do to him."
 
"I... see... can you think of any way of bringing him back, then?"
 
"Either Radish and Celery lift the spell they have on Marron, or they die, and the spell is automatically lifted. Those are the only ways that I can see."
 
Milphey nodded, folding his arms, tapping one foot almost nervously.
 
"I see. Either they give up, or they die. Both seem hard... not impossible, but... Mamu-sama, wouldn't both of those outcomes... have any kind of... lasting effect?"
 
Big Mama sounded as if she knew what Milphey was talking about, but wanted him to say what he meant for himself.
 
"What do you mean?"
 
Milphey sighed, "Well... perhaps I'm wrong in my assumption, but either way, they've done something to Marron, something powerful enough to alter his mindstate. Even if they were to peacefully bring him out of whatever trance he's in, might that not... affect him? At the very least, it'd be several months of his life gone with little to no recollection... that could be disconcerting. But what if they've destroyed something deeper? What if... they lifted their spell, and he remembered nothing at all?"
 
Big Mama glanced to the side, "That's a possibility. However... you told me about how Marron seemed to have some kind of seizure while the battle went on; a seizure in which he called out Carrot's name..."
 
"He couldn't stop..."
 
"Indeed. If he truly couldn't remember, he wouldn't be recalling Carrot's name or title to be calling it out, would he?"
 
"No, I suppose not. I don't think Radish and Celery are going to voluntarily give up their hold on Marron, though. Radish calmed Marron down by kissing him, by telling him that he loved him... and Marron seemed to respond in kind. Mamu-sama, you know Marron, he's somebody that anybody would be lucky to have... and it seems as if Radish has taken Marron for himself. He wouldn't want to give that up, never. So the only opportunity left is... to kill them, isn't it?"
 
A nod confirmed Milphey's thoughts. He sighed shortly.
 
"It makes me uneasy. I assume that the Hunters were too preoccupied with Marron at the time, but... even Marron's a powerful fighter. Getting anywhere near them to kill them will be... difficult."
 
"Something else worries you, doesn't it?"
 
Milphey glanced at Big Mama for a moment; she didn't miss anything... he sighed again, nodding.
 
"If we killed those two Sorcerers, then the magic might be lifted, and Marron would be back with us, however that worked. However... what if their magic is... more permanent than that? What if killing them didn't remove their power at all?"
 
Big Mama shook her head, a thin smile alighting on her face.
 
"That couldn't be so, Mille Feuille."
 
"Mamu-sama? Is there something that you know?"
 
She nodded, "The last place that the Salt brothers raided was Qeran, was it not? They raided it for the magic there, which was sealed away by Walnut Brazil some time ago. The Farra Kinju is, of course, forbidden magic. Sealed away for everybody's good. Mille Feuille, do you know how the Sorcerer Aboros died?"
 
"Aboros? Aboros... he made the Farra Kinju, didn't he? Didn't he die from some kind of disease? Or of old age, something like that...?"
 
"It could be called disease, I suppose. That is most likely what was told to the Parsoners, but... Aboros created the Farra Kinju to control and dominate the Parsoners around him. That control didn't come without price, though; every waking moment of each Parsoner took power from him, and while he slept, his power was lessened so much... he couldn't keep conscious control of the Parsoners while he slept, after all. Aboros was powerful, and ruled Qeran for a great many years, but more through possession than will to rule. In the end, the Farra Kinju was what took his life. It exhausted him, it brought around massive fatigue, and the exhaustion killed him, in the end."
 
She added in a quieter tone, "Some even say that he was psychologically scarred towards the end, though whether that was caused by the magic or some other root problem, it cannot be said. The latching power of the magic could suggest that it was, though."
 
"That... may be so, but... how does that relate to Marron's situation?"
 
"Aboros couldn't control the Parsoners while he slept, or at least, his control was weakened so much... the magic buildup around Qerada and Ehret would say that there is some kind of magic there constantly in use, constantly fuelling from the atmosphere; given the facts, that Radish and Celery raided Qeran prior to this incident, and that Marron is now under their control, I think we can say with a certainty that Marron is being controlled by the Farra Kinju; he's being controlled, but he is powerful. His seizure during the battle was probably related to his power managing to surface against those two Sorcerers. Perhaps they have control over him, but they can't have total control. The Farra Kinju is channelled through the atmosphere and through the magic user, but Aboros didn't have the capability or the knowledge to make the magic permanent. If Radish and Celery are destroyed... then the magic would be alongside them. I assume the result for Marron might be akin to waking up after a long rest, though I cannot be sure... but I am sure that those Sorcerers don't control Marron fully; they cannot. The magic fools the mind, but it cannot wholly control it, or change it."
 
Milphey looked seriously thoughtful for a few moments as he took this in.
 
"They... also spoke of nightmares Marron has. Nightmares that, Radish said, Carrot caused..."
 
Big Mama nodded, some point being proved to her.
 
"Exactly. Radish cannot control Marron while he himself sleeps, and even while awake, Radish cannot help or control Marron's dreams... as you say, there may some confusion, but... their power stems from the Farra Kinju, which is destructive in itself; if only we could kill them, then the effects of their magic should soon cease... but dispatching of them might be a problem in itself."
 
Milphey spoke quietly, "Would you say it was a... mission for the Haz Knights?"
 
Big Mama blinked soberly at Milphey, then shook her head.
 
"For the Haz Knights, I daresay it'd be an easy victory. However... events have a habit of working themselves out eventually, sometimes. I say we should leave this to Carrot, though if you want to accompany them, then I won't stop you. You will be my eyes and ears amongst them, Mille Feuille."
 
Milphey bowed, feeling, not for the first time, that Big Mama knew more than she was letting on.
 
"Yes. Thankyou, Mamu-sama."
 
After he stood up again, Big Mama just looked Milphey in the eye, "So what are your plans for the moment?"
 
"I want to check on the Sorcerer Hunters, and see how they are, see if they have any plans at all. I suppose we'll remain here until we think of something..."
 
"I see. For the time being, I can think of nothing better for those children to occupy their time with; perhaps if anger takes hold, their rage against the Salt brothers might be that bit more powerful. Anger can be harmful, but in the right situations, it can sometimes be beneficial... find those children, Milphey. Try and comfort them in this trying time."
 
Milphey was stepping back towards one of the doors, bowing again as he did so.
 
Elsewhere in Eden, the Sorcerer Hunters had gathered in Carrot and Marron's bedroom, joined by Eclair, who'd followed Gateau after he returned.
 
Carrot was leant back on his bed, staring up at the ceiling. Chocolat, Tira and Eclair sat on Marron's bed, and Gateau leant against one of the walls of the room.
 
For the moment, they were silent, thinking over things quietly. Eventually, Gateau sighed loudly.
 
"... We thought Marron was dead... what if he thought we were dead too?"
 
Chocolat glanced up, "Gateau?"
 
"Well, we thought he was dead, we didn't see how he could have survived, though he was obviously saved by those Sorcerers, for whatever reason... Big Mama saved us, but Marron might not have known that, right?"
 
"I guess, but..."
 
"Chocolat, think about it. If he thought we were dead, okay, but... if he thought Carrot was dead..."
 
Carrot was still staring up at the ceiling, "Now he doesn't even recognize who I am."
 
Eclair was stomach-down on the bed, kicking her legs back and forth in the air.
 
"If he thought Carrot was dead, he'd be pretty pissed off. But like that, wouldn't he have wanted to get rid of Radish and Celery as quickly as possible?"
 
"Maybe they didn't let him."
 
There was a silence, then the sound of Carrot hitting his hand down against the bed.
 
"I just don't get why the hell they want him! Why do they wanna keep him with them like that?!"
 
Gateau glared quietly at Carrot, "You saw how Radish kissed him, Carrot. He's obviously..."
 
He trailed off, unable to bring himself to say what Radish obviously was. Carrot nodded, sighing.
 
"Y-yeah... he's obviously, alright. Obviously done something to Marron, I mean... Marron totally didn't mind when Radish kissed him... Gateau, if you randomly kissed Marron, what do you think he'd do?"
 
Gateau blinked, "If I kissed him?"
 
"Yeah."
 
He looked down slightly, "I don't know... sometimes he's been angry with me just for flirting with him, I don't know what he'd do if I actually kissed him, or whatever..."
 
"Mmn, exactly. He's not someone who'd be kissed easily, if you see what I mean... but he seemed... I don't know, once he stopped yelling like all of that, he just... it's like he didn't even notice the rest of us, just noticed that Radish was there..."
 
"He's changed, Carrot."
 
Carrot looked up at hearing the new voice; he frowned slightly, "Milphey, when did you get here?!"
 
"Just now. You're right, though. Marron didn't notice the rest of us; perhaps he was too thrown by what happened to him, but afterward... whatever kind of enchantment Radish and Celery have over him must rendered him incapable of noticing us."
 
"Their magic... what kind of magic would it be that-"
 
"It's the Farra Kinju, Carrot. The magic they stole from Qeran that time ago."
 
Carrot glanced up at Milphey, then fell against the bed again.
 
"I see. So I guess whatever they did to him, it's gotta be something to do with that magic, right?"
 
"Yes..."
 
"Dammit, but Marron's powerful! How could he have let them do something like that to him?! What did they do to get him like that?!"
 
Milphey folded his arms, "I don't know, Carrot. None of those three would be too eager to tell us, I suppose. We have to assume it was something powerful, simply because Marron himself isn't exactly incapable... he's powerful, and he's determined. I can't believe that it was simply a matter of 'oh, let's make you go evil' followed by a zap followed by Marron suddenly being their new houseguest... it has to have been something more than that, and that... makes me uneasy."
 
Carrot pulled himself up so he was sitting up against the headboard of the bed, able to focus on Milphey with more ease.
 
"Just uneasy? Makes me feel more than that... but... damn, what must they have done to him? I don't even wanna think about it but I can't help it... I mean... I'm so glad he's not dead, when I thought he was dead that was the worst, but... it's even more frustrating, knowing that he's there, like that... and I can't help him... I want to be able to help him, guys..."
 
Chocolat looked at Carrot sadly, kindly.
 
"We all do..."
 
Carrot idly wrapped his arms around himself, "I know, I know... but... he just acted so uncaring, saying so easily that he doesn't have a brother, that he never had a brother, all of that... but then when he had that weird... thing going on there... he cried out so painfully... my title... that word... does it really bring him... that much pain?"
 
There was a silence in the room for a few moments as the group thought about that point.
 
Gateau spoke quietly, "I just don't like the idea of Marron in the grip of those Sorcerers. Or Marron in the arms of Radish..."
 
His last sentence was said with a little more malice. Carrot nodded his agreement.
 
"That's for damn sure..."
 
"Do you think that they've... I mean... if Marron's under their spell and all..."
 
Gateau didn't need to say what he meant for the group to know what he was referring to. The resulting silence was uncomfortable; Carrot shifted on his bed, glancing down at his feet.
 
"I don't know, I don't know... but if Radish has done something like that to my little brother... fuck... I'll never ever forgive him! I mean, jeez, you weren't even listening to that Celery bastard in that battle before, he was telling me about how much he loooved it when his brother fucked him, and... j-jeez, it was just..."
 
Gateau dropped his gaze to the other end of Carrot's bed, remembering that battle, and the images that Celery had brought up in his mind...
 
"U-un..."
 
He shook those thoughts away, looking back up at the others, primarily at Carrot.
 
"But Celery was almost so nice that time when we met him in Qeran..."
 
Tira glanced up, "He was worried about his brother..."
 
"Yeah..."
 
Chocolat rolled onto her back, "He was nice until he led us into an inferno, Gateau."
 
"I know, I know... I guess that's... do you think he meant for that to happen, though? I mean, he didn't seem to know where Radish was or anything like that..."
 
Chocolat shrugged, "I don't know, and I don't think we ever will... I guess it's just one of those things that happened... it all is, and I wish it hadn't! If only we could just get Marron back with us now, or something!"
 
She glanced up at Milphey, "Can't Big Mama bring him back, or something? That's how we knew he wasn't with us in the first place, after all..."
 
Milphey just closed his eyes, "Perhaps she could do, but she won't. We can't know what doing something like that would do to him, Chocolat. Not in his current state of mind. He might be confused, he might lash out at us all, he might... well, we can't know what he'd do. Before we make any steps to bring him back, we need to wait until we know the circumstance of Marron's change of heart..."
 
Carrot scowled, "And how are we gonna know that? We shouldn'ta come back from Qerada so quickly. We shoulda stayed there and... I... I dunno, we shoulda done something..."
 
"And what do you suggest we might have done?"
 
Milphey's level glare cut into Carrot's thoughts, he looked away.
 
"I... I don't know. Just something."
 
Milphey nodded, his point proved somewhat.
 
"We need to wait until we have a plan of some kind before we act in any way. It's a hard situation, but... we need to overcome it. We just have to be careful in how we handle it."
 
Eclair looked thoughtful, "Why doesn't Big Mama just send out the Haz Knights to get rid of those two? I'm sure they'd be powerful enough..."
 
Milphey glanced at Eclair, "There isn't any doubt of that... however, she seems to have her own agenda when it comes to this matter... I can't pretend to understand her reasoning, but... whatever her plans happen to be, I don't doubt that she has reasons behind what she does."
 
"She's so mysterious..."
 
Carrot nodded, "That's for sure. Well, that's Big Mama for ya. Milphey, you're all on about planning everything out and stuff, but... do you know what it is we're even supposed to be planning? You're making it sound harder than just us going in, kicking ass, then coming out again, Marron with us..."
 
"It'd be nice if it was that simple, but did you manage to defeat them in the past? Did we manage to defeat them at Qerada? We didn't. It'll be difficult."
 
"I guess... but what about getting Marron back? What about that too? I mean, well, that is the most important thing, right?"
 
Milphey paused, thinking over what he could say to Carrot.
 
"Carrot... the way the Farra Kinju works... the only ways we can get Marron back are either if Radish and Celery gladly let up their hold over his mind - which I can't see them agreeing to easily - or if Radish and Celery die. There are no other choices; Marron's under their spell, and they have sole power."
 
"If we just kill them... I guess... that's the only thing we can do..."
 
A nod, "I'm told that if Radish and Celery die, then the magic will be lifted. Killing them would be our best bet... though I'm not sure how we'd go about that. It'll be difficult..."
 
Carrot smiled slightly, "Yeah, well, we've had difficult battles before, haven't we? Stuff we've thought we wouldn't be able to get past, but we've managed to get through in the end anyway! I guess Mama had her reasons for calling us back here so soon, but I wish we could be back at Qerada now... just so that... well, I dunno..."
 
Milphey smiled sympathetically, "You want to know that Marron-chan's safe, don't you?"
 
"Y-yeah..."
 
He stretched, letting out a noise of exertion as he did so. "Well, I don't think we need to worry about him being safe as such... if he has got a relationship going on with Radish, then at least we can say that those Sorcerers won't want to hurt him. It's not pleasant to think about Marron being with Radish, but... at least Radish seems protective of Marron, if nothing else."
 
Eclair glanced at her brother, who was staring quietly at the floor as Milphey spoke. She sighed slightly, wondering how he was reacting to this whole situation. She remembered how upset he'd been when they'd thought Marron dead, but now they knew he wasn't... of course, that was a reason to be happy, but the fact that Marron was alive, but with someone else... thinking about all the time her oniichan had spent talking about his thoughts of Marron, Eclair couldn't help but wonder what he'd be like once they got back to their bedroom. She mentally prepared herself to comfort Gateau again; she couldn't wait for Marron to return to Eden, even if it did sound difficult. At least once he returned, Gateau might return to normal once more...
 
Chocolat sighed loudly, her action earning the attention of the others.
 
"Soooo... what do you think we do now?"
 
Tira glanced at Chocolat, "Oneesama?"
 
"Well... Mama called us back so quickly from Qerada... do you think that maybe she's got some more missions or something lined up for us?"
 
"I'm not sure... perhaps..."
 
Chocolat stood up from the bed, "I hope not, anyway... I don't know if I could concentrate on a mission, but I guess if she sends us on one, then we gotta go on it... oh well. I'm kinda tired now... Tira, what about you? I think I'll go to bed now."
 
Chocolat made her way from the room, "Night, guys."
 
She was soon followed by Tira, who nodded at the others to signify her goodnight.
 
Gateau pushed himself away from the wall, "She's got a point. I think I'll go get some sleep too... best to get some rest and all..."
 
He sounded slightly distant as he spoke, and Eclair picked up on this; Gateau left the room, she made to follow after him, but turned and smiled at Milphey and Carrot before she left.
 
"I should go make sure he's okay..."
 
"Sure. Night, Eclair."
 
"G'night, Carrot, Milphey."
 
Carrot kicked off his boots, alone in the room with Milphey. Milphey just watched Carrot for a few moments, "Will you be going to sleep now, Carrot?"
 
"I guess. Nothing else to do, is there?"
 
Milphey wandered over to the window in the room, looking out at the night sky.
 
"I suppose not."
 
He turned around, "I suppose it must be quiet in here without Marron-chan, right?"
 
Silence for a few moments, then Carrot's quiet admittal.
 
"Yeah, I guess it is. It's not like he made much noise anyway, but..."
 
"Not quiet, more lonely?"
 
"... y-yeah."
 
Milphey smirked, "I could stay with you if you were feeling lonely..."
 
"Milphey, please! I'm not in the mood."
 
Slightly more serious, Milphey continued.
 
"No, but if you were missing Marron or anything, I wouldn't mind staying here if you wanted me to. Not to try and hit on you or anything... though if you wanted me to I wouldn't mind doing that either... but, you know. If you just wanted someone to talk to or anything..."
 
Carrot looked up at Milphey, and realised that he was being serious. Milphey stared back at him for a few moments before Carrot glanced away.
 
"I know, I know. I'll be okay, Milphey."
 
"You sure?"
 
Carrot nodded, "I'm sure. I mean, okay, so the situation's kinda bad and everything, but... we will be able to get Marron back, won't we?"
 
"Undoubtedly."
 
Carrot smiled, slightly sadly.
 
"Exactly. So, because of that... I don't have to worry, do I? Even though I still do, I just can't believe that he totally won't come back to us, or anything... so... it might get lonely in here, but that doesn't matter, because... well... yeah..."
 
Milphey was walking towards the door.
 
"I see, I see... well then, goodnight..."
 
"Yeah... night..."
 
Milphey was just about to shut the door before Carrot stopped him.
 
"H-hey, Milphey?"
 
The door opened again, "Yes?"
 
Carrot looked deep in thought, something that caught Milphey's attention. Carrot was silent for a few moments more, causing Milphey to prompt him.
 
"What is it, Carrot?"
 
"What if... what if... I wanted to go to Qerada?"
 
"Carrot?"
 
"Y'know... go there... try n' get Marron back and everything... I can't help but remember his cry, how he was calling my name... it just makes me wanna go there and get him right now whenever I think about it..."
 
Milphey spoke seriously, "You mean to go to Qerada and fight those Sorcerers?"
 
"Go to Qerada and get Marron back."
 
"The two are the same, Carrot. You wouldn't be able to get Marron back without fighting Radish and Celery. If that's what you really want to do then I can't stop you, but... I'd recommend thinking about it first, Carrot. Those Sorcerers are powerful, and there's safety in numbers. Keep that in mind."
 
Carrot was silent for a moment as he thought about what Milphey said; he looked up as he heard the door close, and he realised that he was alone in the room. He looked across to Marron's bed, it was a little untidy from where the girls had been leaning on it. Carrot got off his bed, and walked over to Marron's bed, sorting out the sheeting and pillows a little.
 
Once it was back to it's usual tidiness, Carrot sighed, launching himself onto the bed. He remained face-down for a few moments, attempting to breathe deeply, but hindered by the material on the bed. He supposed that the bed was just a bed after all; if it was warm, it'd only be the warmth that the Misu sisters and Eclair had left behind. After all, Marron hadn't slept in the bed for a good number of weeks now...
 
Even so, it felt comforting to lie on the bed and think of Marron. Not the Marron they'd seen previously, but the Marron who usually always was... the Marron who was his brother, and who didn't fight that fact, who would never even question that relation. Marron... the Marron who smiled warmly for him and him alone... the Marron who said 'niisan' and didn't scream it like the very thought brought him unimaginable pain... the Marron who he'd grown up with, whose memories and experiences he didn't question, because there was no question, they just were...
 
Those Sorcerers had been talking rubbish, Carrot decided. Saying it was all a lie... that was stupid. No way.
He remembered when he'd first seen Marron, seen that contrary triangle on his head... that had been strange. How could Marron have one of those marks on his head? He wasn't a Sorcerer, and only Sorcerers carried those marks...
 
Carrot hugged the pillow to himself, wondering if that had been Marron after all. Sure, he looked like Marron, he sounded like Marron, he walked and talked and breathed like Marron, he called Carrot's name like how Marron did, but... maybe it wasn't Marron... the way he behaved was strange, and the way Marron had attacked him like that... on the way back from Qerada, Carrot'd let himself be healed by Tira, so it wasn't that he hurt anymore from the attack, but that wasn't the point. What Chocolat had said, that time with the crystal Sorcerers, when Marron'd said he'd rather die than even risk hurting Carrot... that sounded about right, that was the sort of thing Marron'd do or say. Carrot felt bad while thinking about it, how he might have just killed Marron, being under the spell of a Sorcerer... much like Marron was now... the attack from before didn't hurt physically, Tira's magic meant that the physical pain was long gone, but it was the mental pain that remained. Marron had attacked him... Marron had attacked him. Carrot remembered how shocked everyone had seemed, how shocked even Celery and Radish had seemed... they were obviously expecting the attack as much as everyone else had been. No, but... that person seemed like Marron, but was it really Marron? Maybe it was just a clone, or an illusion, or... something.
 
It was night outside, but Carrot didn't quite feel like sleeping just yet. He couldn't sleep, not while Marron was still in the grip of those Sorcerers, not while he was helpless, unable to do anything... he couldn't sleep, not while Marron might still need him.
 
He remembered battling Celery while they'd been on the way to the Salt brothers' house... when Celery had been all on about how Marron wanted him in such a disgusting way, those images Celery had put into his mind, all of that... they had to be making that up, they just had to be. Marron wouldn't have thoughts like that, not really!
 
Carrot sighed as he stared at the lightly patterned headboard, wondering why anyone would want to make something like that up in the first place. Just to piss him off, Carrot supposed.
 
Either they were making it up, or it was the truth... and Carrot didn't like to think about that. Not just because of how weird it was, but... he'd never even thought about that before, but if Marron really did feel like that, then didn't that mean that he'd been hiding something like that from Carrot for however long he'd felt it for? He knew Marron could be quiet, but if something was bothering him, really bothering him, then he'd tell Carrot about it, wouldn't he?
 
Another sigh.
 
If it really was something like that, Carrot wasn't sure if Marron would say anything. He himself had yelled at Celery about it, he thought it was weird... and if Marron really felt like that, then wouldn't he have those same feelings, but much worse for feeling them for himself?
 
Carrot threw his head into his hands, growling slightly. Why was he even sitting there like that? Sitting there on Marron's bed, wondering if his loyal, devoted little brother really harboured sexual desire for him... no, that was stupid. He wouldn't. He wouldn't! It'd just been something twisted that the Salt brothers had made up to piss him off. They probably didn't even think of it now. So why was he?
 
Carrot sat up slightly, "If Marron did have feelings like that for me..."
 
He tried to think of that thought without having those images Celery had conjured up leaping into his mind; it was hard, but he tried to remember Marron just... how he always was. When he was quiet, when he'd fight in battle, how he'd walk when they were on a mission, how he'd lie quietly in bed, how peaceful he looked when he slept... all of that, all of how Marron usually was... while all of that happened... was he really thinking about how he wanted his older brother to tackle him on his bed, wrestle him to the floor and, pressing him down without choice to escape, take him suddenly with passionate abandon? Carrot paused momentarily. Did Marron think like that?
 
He glared at the distant wall of the room, as if it was somehow the wall's fault that he was thinking like that. He was supposed to be planning how to get Marron back, not sitting there speculating on his little brother's sexuality! Even so, it was an involving train of thought, if not a particularly productive one. Carrot put his fingers to his temples, trying to press some kind of sense back into them.
 
"Okay, okay... so... if I wanted to go to Qerada, get Marron back... Milphey's probably right, I'd haveta get rid of those brothers before I could get Marron back... it might be hard... but, they did seem unwilling to want to attack me with magic, 'cause then I'd get at their precious pretty house... heh, I guess I can use that to my advantage... if I turned beast form I could probably kick their asses, but the Misu sisters wouldn't be there to whip me down, and I don't know if Marron'd know to turn me back just then... so I guess I gotta just get them with my sword... and hope Marron doesn't attack me again... maybe I should be sneaky and kill 'em while they sleep... yeah! Maybe I should do that! No-one says I have to attack while they're awake, do they? Yeah! I'll do that! I'll attack them while they sleep and rescue Marron. All right! A plan! Now I just gotta figure out how to get outta here before anyone notices..."
 
Carrot looked up at the window again. It was still night-time.
 
"Maybe Mama does have some missions for us... and I guess she'd be angry if I went off without telling anyone... but I can't just sit by and let my little brother get manipulated like that! Even if he does want into my trousers, that's his problem, and it doesn't matter anyway, I just wanna get him back first. I can worry about that later, I suppose..."
 
Carrot fell into silence again, wondering why he was talking to the empty room. Still, the empty room didn't offer any kind of argument in return.
 
"... Marron wouldn't really think like that..."
 
He lay there for a few moments, before sitting up again, letting his legs hang off the end of the bed. He glanced down at his boots; if he was going to leave for Qerada, then why not as soon as possible?
 
"... besides... if Mama really needs me for something, I guess she can just transport me back or something, it's not like she can't or anything. Okay! I'll sneak out before anyone can notice!"
 
Feeling energized and raring to go, Carrot shuffled to the edge of the bed, reached for his boots, and proceeded to put them on. His mind ran through a million scenarios at once, how he would vanquish the Salt brothers with bravery, courage and power... how he'd heroically rescue Marron, and for once, he'd have put life and limb at risk for his little brother, he'd go to the fight without holding back, and he'd come out victorious, and maybe he could tease Marron a little about how this time it'd been him being rescued rather than the rescuer, but Marron'd smile because he'd know Carrot was only teasing, and they'd both know that they both loved it really no matter who was doing what, because they could rely on each other, and they'd never have to worry about anything as long as they were together, and...
 
Carrot's frenzied thought process dropped to a sudden stop as he opened the door into the outer corridor, and noticed a figure standing there. He blinked.
 
"Mi-Milphey!"
 
Milphey didn't look up when Carrot spoke. He stood with his back against the wall, his arms folded, his eyes closed... he looked so serious. Carrot frowned slightly, Milphey seemed so different these days, not just because he was serious about things, but... memories of Qerada ran through Carrot's mind... Milphey was a Haz Knight... it was just strange, after all. After all that time, to suddenly find out... still, it meant that if Milphey was around they had that extra protection, and that was always worthwhile. At the moment he was just serious, though. He spoke quietly, but the corridor was silent, and Carrot had no problems in hearing Milphey's voice.
 
"You waste no time, do you, Carrot?"
 
"Huh?"
 
"You mean to go to Qerada... and you mean to go now... don't you?"
 
At that point, Milphey looked up. Eden was dark, and the moon shone in from a window behind Milphey, but somehow his eyes seemed to shine in the darkness... it was a little un-nerving, but Carrot tried not to show that nervousness.
 
"Uh, well, that is..."
 
"It's alright if you do, Carrot. However... the way to Qerada... it's a long way, there's no pretending that it isn't. Is your self-righteous fury going to carry you along that distance?"
 
"... uh..."
 
Milphey's look softened slightly, "I'm not trying to reprimand you, Carrot. I'm here to help you... if you want to go to Qerada, then there are quicker methods of getting there."
 
"Oh yeah? Like what? Big Mama's hardly gonna wanna fly me there, she normally makes us walk everywhere 'cause it's 'good for us' and 'builds stamina' and all of that... I swear, she's only been throwin' us back and forth from Eden to Qerada 'cause those Sorcerers are bastards and it'd be better to get them wiped out quickly... but I guess now there's nothing she thinks we can do, she's got other missions lined up for us, right? To 'take our mind off it' and everything."
 
Milphey gazed at Carrot with slight amusement, "I wouldn't go putting words in Mamu-sama's mouth, she might not like it. However, she's not quite as authoritarian as you might think... as well as I am, she's here to help you. She knows that you want to go to Qerada... she suspected it ever since you returned to Eden."
 
Carrot frowned, confused.
 
"R... ight..."
 
"She's willing to send you to Qerada, if you're sure you really want to go."
 
Carrot brightened, throwing one hand to his swordhandle, "Of COURSE I really wanna go! I wanna go and rescue that troublesome brother of mine, a-"
 
"Carrot, don't go making yourself look almighty while spiting others. Would you really call Marron troublesome?"
 
"... Okay, he's not troublesome."
 
Milphey started walking down the corridor, Carrot wondered if Milphey wanted him to follow; after a few moments he stopped and turned to face Carrot, waiting for him; Carrot shut the door to his bedroom, glanced at it for a few moments, then ran to catch up with Milphey.
 
"He's not troublesome, but I really wanna rescue him. I mean... it's gotta be a bad situation if even he can't get out of it, y'know?"
 
Milphey nodded, and watched Carrot carefully as his volume dropped.
 
"I don't know what I can do, really... but... still, I wanna do it. I'll figure it out as I go along. I mean... we've got through bigger things than this, right? So... yeah."
 
"I could come with you, if you wanted me to... Mamu-sama told me to guide you through this mission, and-"
 
"Is everything because of Mamu-sama Mamu-sama Mamu-sama?"
 
The sudden slight bitterness in Carrot's voice caught Milphey by surprise. He turned around, looking at Carrot while he walked.
 
"Carrot?"
 
"Well... I know you're a Haz Knight and all, but... are you only like... helping me because she wants you to and stuff? If she didn't say anything or if she said not to, you wouldn't be here right now, would you?"
 
Milphey paused for a few moments, thinking of what to say.
 
"She's the most important person, Carrot. My life is dedicated to serving her, it'd be more than my life's worth to disobey her..."
 
"Do you love her?"
 
Milphey froze, at that point. Carrot noticed the reaction, and stopped too. He turned around, facing Milphey... Carrot was surprised to notice that Milphey looked... almost shocked... then his look faded to a kindly one.
 
"Love her? ... Of course I do, Carrot. Don't you love her?"
 
Carrot blinked, wondering where the conversation was going. Big Mama was Big Mama and she was a bit scary, but overall, she did care for her Sorcerer Hunters, even if she did work them hard... Carrot glanced at the floor, "I, I guess... I mean, not like... uh... um... yeah, but..."
 
Milphey's amusement increased, "There are many kinds of love, Carrot. When you ask me if I love her, I don't doubt you mean in the sexual way..."
 
Milphey'd hit the nail on the head. Carrot looked up, blushing slightly.
 
"Well, uh..."
 
"She's too much to love like that, Carrot. She's like a goddess, and she's too special to my heart to desire like that. If you think about it... isn't that kind of love... a shallow kind of love, Carrot?"
 
A slight laugh, "I know that might be questioning your entire raison d'etre, but just think about it."
 
"A shallow kind of love?"
 
"To love somebody only for that one thing. To lust after them, to want them so deeply... it might be a deep feeling... it is a deep feeling, but what are the causes for that feeling? The physical longing to have somebody in that way... that longing might be the deepest, but if it's only that physical longing, then what about afterward? If you have that person in that way, after that desire has culminated into mutual want, mutual need, what then?"
 
Carrot felt a headache brewing. This was getting a little too philosophical for him.
 
"Uh... I... dunno..."
 
Milphey blinked, then realised that he might have been a little confusing. He smiled again.
 
"Nevermind, nevermind. What I'm trying to say... perhaps in the past, it might have been possible. Mamu-sama has not always been like she is now, after all. In the past, she..." Milphey shook his head, "It's almost harsh to say..."
 
".. Go on..."
 
Milphey looked up at the ceiling, "In the past, she was a woman who existed for herself, and so could perhaps afford those kinds of needs. Now, she's... she's more than she was, and that kind of desire cannot figure into her plans. She carries such responsibility, Carrot... she's the head of the Stella Church, that which brings hope to those who have none, of which there are so many while evil still plagues this land... perhaps one day we'll have a land without that plague, but I'm not sure if I can see the circumstance in which it'd come about..." A strange little smirk, "Though perhaps it might have something to do with you."
 
"Me?"
 
"Yes, you. You're special, are you not? Carrying Hakaishin within you..."
 
"Ugh, don't remind me."
 
Milphey folded his arms again, "Sacher is not the only one to desire such power. He desired your power, he almost managed to unleash it, but he failed to tame it. There are... more powerful people than Sacher in this world, Carrot. Perhaps one day that power might be tamed... who can say? But... until that day, Big Mama carries the responsibility and the needs of this world. Compared to that need, wouldn't you say that physical need is insignificant?"
 
"I guess... but... why wouldn't she have, uh, needs too? She's a woman, isn't she? I know she's a goddess type person and all, but c'mon, wouldn't even she get horny sometimes?"
 
Milphey blushed, waving one hand nervously.
 
"My my, I wonder what she'd think to hear of you talking of her like that? Ha ha ha. Well, I don't know. Her Haz Knights... we serve her as best we can, we obey her every need, but... when it comes to that, I don't think... well, she doesn't call upon us for that need. She's been alive for a lot longer than, say, you, Carrot. Perhaps after so long, her mindframe has altered to that where she doesn't need that kind of desire. As I said, she's more than she was, and so different."
 
"Becoming all-powerful means she loses her sex drive? Damn, that's harsh. Hey, but you've been around for ages like her and stuff, does that mean you don't need that either?"
 
Milphey smirked and threw an arm around Carrot's shoulders, "Probably don't need it but it doesn't stop me wanting it or anything."
 
Carrot didn't move from under Milphey's arm, which Milphey noticed. He quietly slipped his arm away, "Yes, well... that said... maybe I'm a little strange. The other Haz Knights, do you see them acting like I do?"
 
"Well, no... still, Cinnamon's cool, she hangs around and has a laugh and stuff more than those other guys do..."
 
A slight laugh, "Shiffon and Kahlua, Carrot. 'Those Other Guys', as you put it, probably have a stronger sense of duty than Cinnamon or I... or at least, more restraint. Those two seemed old when I was a child, they'd already been serving the Stella household for... I don't know, probably for most of their lives... whatever desires they had they probably worked out of their system when they were younger."
 
Carrot let out a long sigh, "So you're saying that the older ya get, with more responsibility and stuff, means that you end up not getting any? Damn, I don't wanna get much older in that case. I mean... damn, half the time it's the only thing I can think about! And those guys don't think of it at all?"
 
Milphey shrugged, "I'm not saying that, Carrot. I'm sure they could act like that if they wanted to, it's just that they don't want to, that's all. To you, who's still young, that kind of thing is important; to people it varies I suppose, but... while that is important, it's not the most important. Even without sex, life goes on, doesn't it?"
 
"Ah-ah, but if people didn't have sex there wouldn't be life 'cause people having sex equals babies, right?"
 
Milphey's laughter was slightly louder, "Touché, Carrot. However, to those who are immortal, who watch the cycle of life over and over, who survive without wanting to, perhaps... can't you see how that might become less important?"
 
"Well... not really, but I guess... hey, but you're a hypocrite 'cause you're as horny as anything!"
 
"I wouldn't say that, Carrot. I just know how to have a good time, that's all. However, would you see me acting so flirty when I'm a Haz Knight?"
 
"I guess not..."
 
Milphey skipped until he was standing in front of Carrot.
 
"As I am now... this is how I live, Carrot. My duty to Mamu-sama is so important, it's more important than my own life, and any one of her Haz Knights would give their lives for her in an instant without hesitation. She is important, and we are important alongside her. However, how would you feel if you had to be a Sorcerer Hunter all the time without break or relief? Wouldn't you want to be able to live a different life some of the time?"
 
"I, I guess..."
 
"Well, exactly. It's more relaxing to be able to be like this. Also, if I was so serious all the time, I wouldn't be able to relate to cute cute people like you, would I? It's easier to help you if I'm more accessible, if you see what I mean. Also, if I was always so serious, maybe it'd get boring... I don't want to slam Shiffon or Kahlua who are obviously happy with how they are, but I'm just not a serious person, not at heart. Well... no, maybe that's not what I'm trying to say. I can be serious, you know I can be serious, but I like fun things too, and I like to enjoyyy myself... I suppose those people have satisfaction in what they do, but... as I said to Shiffon, I bet he's not discovered the joy of women's underwear."
 
Carrot's eyebrow twitched, "Too much information, Milphey. Too much information."
 
"Ha ha, sorry. You don't wanna see my panties, then?"
 
"NO!"
 
The two continued to walk through Eden's dark corridors as Milphey laughed, "You see? It's fun to tease people like you, and I bet you wouldn't be so easily teased if it was coming from a serious person, right? Being so serious, it'd be hard to tease, and when you get so flustered you're so cuuute! Ha~"
 
Carrot just carried on walking, wondering if he'd ever be able to understand Milphey... he doubted it.
 
The conversation died down a little, Carrot quietly thinking about what Milphey'd spoken about, and then Milphey spoke again.
 
"But as I mentioned, Carrot... sex is important, but, in some ways, not the most important. There are other things in life, you understand?"
 
"Yeah?"
 
"Some people might have lost sight of that fact. Why do you suppose Radish has your brother kidnapped at this moment?"
 
Carrot paused, a light seeming to shine through Milphey's mysterious words.
 
"A-ah... yeah..."
 
"Radish has obviously cast some kind of spell on Marron, because Marron cast some kind on him, if you see what I mean. Perhaps to Radish, that feeling seemed the most important... but that kind of intensity can fade, and even if it took a long time, there's a chance that Radish might not... well, we just have to get Marron-chan back as quickly as possible. I don't doubt that Radish thinks he's feeling the deepest and most important things in the world for Marron, but will he still feel that in a year, two years?"
 
Carrot paused, "Marron's... well, you know how Marron is..."
 
"I know, but to Radish, who couldn't have known Marron beforehand... we know him, we're his friends, his family, the important people to him... we know him, we're friends with him, we're deeper than that. However, Radish's feelings cannot be that deep for the pure reason that they just don't know each other. And given how Radish is, being such a destructive Sorcerer, is Marron, who's heart beats so hard for justice, likely to even give him a chance? Perhaps Radish could be a nice person, but when that's compared to his death count, that's hardly forgivable."
 
Carrot wasn't sure what Milphey was trying to say anymore, so he just quietly listened, and when Milphey finished, he allowed a short silence before he tried to divert the conversation slightly.
 
"So... Big Mama'll let me go to Qerada?"
 
Milphey nodded, "Yes."
 
"Weird... I didn't think she'd be so willing to let me go, y'know, on my own and all... unless we get there and all the others are waiting for me 'cause they'd been secretly plotting behind my back or something like that..."
 
"Big Mama often works to her own tune without telling anybody else what she has planned. She often knows an event's outcome before it's outset... I trust her totally, Carrot. Whatever she lets you do or doesn't let you do, she'll have reasons for it all."
 
"Y-yeah..."
 
At that point, the two reached the dark main hall, where Big Mama's outline was visible in the room. When the two entered, she shifted, the noise seeming loud in the silent hall.
 
"Ah, you two. I've been expecting you."
 
Carrot laughed, feeling a little nervous despite himself, "So I hear..."
 
"Carrot. You wish to go to Qerada to find Marron, do you not?"
 
"Yeah, I do. I wanna get him back."
 
A slight pause, "I see."
 
Big Mama moved, and there was suddenly a light in the room; one of the glowing orbs that Dota used so often showed (what Carrot presumed was) Qerada's night forests. Carrot pointed at the orb.
 
"Now there isn't any kind of shield up around their house, could you like, take me right there? I wanna try and get 'em while they sleep 'cause they probably wouldn't be expecting that, so...?"
 
Big Mama shook her head.
 
"No, Carrot... I see your reasoning, but I have my own reasons; someone is waiting for you in Qerada."
 
"I know, Marron's waiting for me, so I gotta see him quickly!"
 
Big Mama stared at Carrot with an indescribable look; it didn't exactly set Carrot at any ease, and she wasn't explaining her actions any time quickly... she moved again, standing in front of Carrot.
 
"... I will set you some distance away from the Salt household. Do what you will, Carrot; you will be watched while you remain there. Once your business is finished, I shall bring you back."
 
"Hey, me and Marron, don't forget! I'm gonna bring him back, no question about it!"
 
Big Mama said nothing, and Milphey remained silent as a red sparkling light surrounded Carrot, and then... he was gone.
 
Milphey stared at the space where Carrot used to be. Big Mama noticed his stare, "You think you should have gone with him?"
 
"Those Sorcerers are powerful... I can't help but worry about him."
 
She just smiled, "You don't need to worry, Milphey... Carrot will encounter confrontation, but..."
 
Milphey looked up at Big Mama, requesting that she continue; she shook her head, turning her back.
 
"Sleep, Milphey. The others will need comfort once they wake up and realise that Carrot has gone."
 
"Will you let them know where he is?"
 
Big Mama glanced over her shoulder, "No... you will."
 
"... I will, Mamu-sama?"
 
A nod, "You will. In such a situation, is it not obvious that Carrot will have gone in pursuit of Marron? If they do not already realise that, you will tell them."
 
"Ye... yes, Mamu-sama. However... once they realise Carrot is gone... might they not want to follow him?"
 
"Undoubtedly so... but this is something Carrot must do for himself. They will stay in Eden for the time being."
 
"I... see."
 
Milphey glanced up, and could no longer see Big Mama's outline in the darkened room. He sighed, supposing that she'd already left the room, and decided to go and sleep himself; the morning could be coped with once he reached it, but for now, sleep was the best option.
 
****
 
Not for the first time, Marron had been returned to his bed, where, for the resulting nervewracking couple of days, Radish had remained by his bedside, and Celery had watched distantly, bringing whatever Radish quietly requested. Or didn't request. Radish was much too preoccupied with Marron to think about much else, and probably wouldn't have thought even to eat had Celery not constantly come upstairs with refreshment for his brother.
 
Both Salt brothers complained of a constant fatigue; Radish complained vocally, and Celery remained quiet, because he knew that he felt it too, but... he felt his brother wouldn't want to hear of his complaints, he probably considered them unimportant when compared to Radish's main worry, that was... Marron. Of course. As always.
 
After the Sorcerer Hunters had left, Radish had held Marron for as long as he felt he needed to. The dreams, the nightmares, the visions, none were mentioned; Marron just quietly clung to Radish, seeming to feel some kind of comfort from that contact. Or some kind of mental anaesthesia he couldn't have realised from Radish's magic taking it's toll once more. Then he'd said, as the sun fell in the sky and the two still remained sat on the lawn, that he felt tired, and Radish had helped him into his bed. There he'd remained, sleeping quietly, appearing peaceful, but... Radish worried, Radish worried even more these days. He never said anything, but Celery couldn't help but wonder if Radish was feeling even more regret for what'd happened prior to the meeting with the Sorcerer Hunters. Celery hoped so. A little regret for his actions might do Radish good, he thought.
 
The sun was rising to a day that, Celery thought, would probably be similar to yesterday. And the day before that. And maybe, indeed, the day before that also. The sun shone brightly into the room, but the scene in the room didn't reflect the feeling of the morning.
 
Celery held a bowl of food in one hand and a cup of some kind of drink in the other, nudging the door open a little further; the door creaked, this attracted Radish's attention. He looked up with wide eyes, wide eyes that seemed troubled... troubled and tired, if the bags underneath Radish's eyes were anything to go by.
Celery quietly walked forward, "Good morning, otouto. I'd ask if you slept well, but... I suspect you didn't sleep at all... again..."
 
Radish shook his head as Celery placed the food down on the bedside cabinet next to Marron.
 
"Celeoniisama's right... again..."
 
"If you feel tired, then you should sleep."
 
"I can't sleep when Marron might wake up and need me... I can't sleep while he might wake up!"
 
Celery folded his arms, "It hurts you more and more with each passing day... you need to sleep, you need to recover your strength!"
 
"Hey, I don't need to recover anything, I'm as strong as I need to be!... I just wish I knew what made him sleep for so long, though... I mean... he seemed pretty gone during that battle... that's enough to make him sleep this much?"
 
Celery carefully sat himself on the corner of Marron's bed.
 
"I don't know... whatever we've done to his mind... whatever his dreams and visions do to his mind... I don't know. Maybe it's not something we can understand..."
 
"I just wanna know when he's gonna wake up!"
 
"I know, I know... if I knew when he'd wake up, I'd tell you, otouto. Not knowing what's happening inside his mind... I'm as curious as you. Have you tried... looking?"
 
Radish sighed, "I tried a little, just to see what I could see... it was totally darkness, though. That makes me even more worried, I mean, should anyone have just DARKNESS inside them? That's... that can't be good, can it? Oniisama... I wanna know what's happening... just if he opened his eyes it'd be okay, because then I'd know he was alright... oniisama, to see his eyes again, to see his smile... why can't we... why won't he wake up? I'm worried..."
 
Celery watched Marron with half-lidded eyes.
 
As usual, the young mage was beautiful, even while he slept. His body rose and fell with regularity, his hair was gently strewn about him, Radish had obviously brushed it from Marron's face... Celery noticed that Marron's contrary triangle was gone. He frowned.
 
"Radish, what happened to his..." Celery motioned to his own forehead.
 
Radish looked up, it took a few moments for what Celery was indicating to to click in his mind, then he realised, looking back down at Marron.
 
"His triangle? I figured it didn't matter if I stopped for the time being. We're the only ones who're gonna see him and it's not like he's gonna look in any mirrors while he's gone like this. Even if it's only until he wakes up, it's a little more magic I don't haveta use up just yet, and... well, you know."
 
"Yes..."
 
Celery sounded deeply concerned, "Radish, if it's hurting you just to stay awake, then sleep. You have to-"
 
"Oniisama - if he wakes up, and I'm asleep, then... the magic I've got over him... well, I'll be asleep, right? It'll be like his dreams, I won't be able to control him..."
 
"I've slept already, otouto. While you slept, I could control him..."
 
Radish shook his head, "No, it's okay... I gotta be strong, right?"
 
Celery's look changed to one of subtle anger, "Why?"
 
"Huh?"
 
"Why have you got to be strong? Who are you trying to prove yourself for? For Marron? He's asleep, and even if he wasn't asleep, he can't realise what it is you're doing to him. I highly doubt you'd be trying to prove yourself to me, and... to prove to yourself... what are you trying to prove? Radish, I don't want you becoming ill over this... do you even remember how long it's been since you last slept?"
 
Radish just quietly shook his head. "Night comes and goes and it's dark, but... I don't think I sleep..."
 
"It's been several days that Marron's been like this. Does that really mean that you haven't slept for those several days?!"
 
A sulky shrug.
 
"Radish... you can't exhaust yourself like this..."
 
"Oniisama, make him wake up."
 
"Radish?"
 
"I can't sleep until I know he's okay. So make him wake up so I know he's okay."
 
Radish's look darkened slightly, "You've always been better at makin' him wake up than me."
 
Celery couldn't help but detect a note of bitterness there... he chose to ignore it, "Do you think it'd even work if I tried?"
 
A shrug, "I dunno. Can't you at least try, though? I mean..." Radish's look changed subtly, looking a little more persuasive. "... You do want me to sleep, right, oniisama? If Marron wakes up, he'll probably fall asleep when it's night-time, and I can sleep then... right?"
 
Celery sounded harried, "You're a persuasive little bastard, aren't you, otouto?"
 
"Yep. So, you gonna wake him up or what?"
 
Celery sighed, rolling his eyes slightly.
 
"Alright, alright..."
 
Radish stepped to the side as Celery moved closer to the bed, as he slipped his shoes off and leant over Marron, taking hold of his quiet sleeping face in his two hands. He glanced again at Radish, who just nodded, then turned back to face Marron... who still slept. Celery leant down, closing his eyes, concentrating his power.
 
The first thing he felt, that he saw in his mind's eye, as Radish had mentioned, was darkness. For a few moments, though it might have been longer, nothing else. Just a blank darkness... the moments dragged on, and Celery became a little concerned. Was Marron's mind really... so blank, like that? Had the encounter earlier on in the week done something to wipe his mind totally? Had seeing Carrot again under such circumstances turned his mind into committing some kind of mental suicide? Celery reached out with trepidation, "... Marron? Marron, are you there at all?"
 
Again, silence for a few moments. Perhaps Celery's worry became apparent to Marron's mind, because Celery was suddenly aware of... something... someone speaking? Quietly, but even so.
 
"... in my body..."
 
"Marron?"
 
"... in my soul..."
 
"Marron, is that you?"
 
Suddenly, Celery's view seemed to change; things became hazy, but lighter, more visible. As if trapped amongst purple clouds... Celery had to admit that the view inside Marron's mind was quite pretty if nothing else, even if it did suggest such mental turmoil.
 
Suddenly, Celery found himself facing somebody; a light suddenly shone, and all Celery could see was... the wings? The huge angelic wings. Marron himself eventually became visible, looking... self-confident. Smug, almost. Naked but not caring. Arms folded. Smirking.
 
"Marron!"
 
"That's true, I am. However... I am not the one you want, am I?"
 
"What do you mean?"
 
Celery remembered the mental images he'd seen during the earlier battle, Carrot with angel wings, Marron with demon wings... he wondered if this was anything to do with that...
 
The Marron in front of him waved one arm to the side, and some of the clouds parted; somewhere up ahead, a figure lay on whatever passed for the ground inside Marron's mind; the figured looked broken.
 
"That's..."
 
Marron flittered to the side, still smirking.
 
"You can go and see him if you want to."
 
Celery quietly made his was forward, the angelic Marron parting clouds for him as they went. Celery supposed that this was perhaps like going through the different layers of Marron's mind, but... he wasn't sure. Eventually they reached the figure.
 
Celery wasn't entirely surprised to realise that the broken figure was, again, Marron. He lay on his front, his eyes closed, his head leant on his half-folded arms. Demon wings hung over him like a blanket, limp and unmoving.
 
"That's the person you want."
 
"That is-...?"
 
The angelic Marron just shook his head, "Trust me, it is."
 
"... Who are you, then? If that's Marron..."
 
Marron watched Celery for a moment, as if contemplating. He shrugged lightly, "Maybe you should already know. Perhaps I am Marron's true self? Maybe that one there is his true self. Maybe I'm part of his conscience that wouldn't die. Perhaps I'm just some demon apparition created by you and your brother via the Farra Kinju... who can say, Celery?"
 
"... I... see..."
 
He didn't, but he couldn't think of anything else to say.
 
Marron leant down and kicked the other Marron on the shoulder, quite a savage kick. The Marron who'd been kicked moaned in pain, rearing up a little, then falling back into his previous position.
 
"... Wake up, Marron. Somebody's here to see you."
 
"... ni... niisan..."
 
"No, not him. Somebody else."
 
"... niisan..."
 
Celery just blinked. Angelic Marron sighed, "He gets like this sometimes. Maybe if you reached out for him... I don't think he's got the spirit left to listen to me at the moment. Just keeps mumbling 'niisan, niisan!'... I don't know if he's expecting Carrot to appear suddenly or what, but... no, I don't know. I'm sure you're somebody who's kinder, though. Reach for him."
 
Celery did so, "Marron... Marron, wake up..."
 
"... niisan..."
 
"I'm not Carrot, I'm not your niisan, but... please, just for my brother's sake... wake up... please?"
 
His eyes opened slowly, looking up at Celery. Celery noted how tearstained they seemed...
 
"Marron?"
 
"Ce... Celery..."
 
Celery nodded, "I'm glad. So... do you want to wake up for me?"
"... wake up..."
 
Celery nodded again, "Yes. Physically open your eyes, come back with me... would you do that for me, please?"
 
A hand reached up at Celery, he took it, holding it as warmly as he could manage. Marron's eyes seemed to pierce something within him, there just seemed to be so much hurt in those eyes... Celery tried to look back with kindness, and Marron seemed to pick up on this.
 
"... Alright..."
 
Celery helped Marron into standing up, and as he glanced around, he realised that the other Marron, who or whatever he'd been, seemed to be gone... he still wondered who that had been, but realised that he probably wouldn't find out too soon. He sighed, gently leading Marron back into the world of wakefulness.
 
Celery eventually pulled back, his eyes opening slowly; he noted that Marron had his contrary triangle back... he glanced at Radish, "He should wake up soon..."
 
"Did you manage to... to see anything?"
 
"He's still alive in there, if that's what you mean."
 
Radish nodded, looking somewhat relieved. "Ah... that's good..."
 
At that point, Marron made a slight noise, his eyes twitching slightly. Radish almost shoved Celery off the bed in his enthusiastic effort to get to Marron.
 
"Marron, Marron! Marron?"
 
Celery carefully climbed from the bed with as much dignity as he could muster. He stood to the side, watching slightly sadly. Radish was so excited...
 
Marron just looked distant for a few moments, "... Hn...?"
 
"Marron, you're awake!"
 
He sat up, rubbing his head.
 
"It'd seem so. My head... I have such a headache all of a sudden..."
 
Radish was swooping around Marron, trying to be everywhere at once.
 
"A headache? Um, ah, er... umn... I don't know, is there anything I can do to help? Anything you want? Um, there's food here... are you hungry? If you're hungry you can have this, it's fresh. There's a drink here too if you want it! Are you hungry or thirsty at all? Maybe you want to go and sit outside? It's a lovely day. Sun's shining, I'm sure it'll make the river look all sparkly and pretty and stuff... maybe you wanna swim in the river? I've heard that swimming in rivers is good for you, it might help... also, I think the source of the river is some mountains a little way off, so, the river'd be all cold and stuff, and it's all hot and stuff outside, so, you know, if you were too hot we could maybe go swim in the river, or if you didn't want to at all, then that's okay, but-"
 
Celery interjected, "Otouto, you're getting excited. Remain quiet for a few moments, let Marron think about what he wants to do."
 
Radish looked up at Celery, then back at Marron.
 
"Oh, uh... um... ye-yeah. Sorry. Um... Marron, what do you want to do?"
 
Marron thought for a few moments.
 
"I don't know... anything relaxing would be pleasant, though... my body... I feel like I hurt all over... just sitting somewhere comfortable would be alright with me."
 
Radish sounded concerned, "You... hurt all over?"
 
"Yes... my arms and shoulders, my body... I feel like... I don't know..."
 
Marron brought one arm up from underneath the bedsheets, pulling back the sleeve of his nightshirt and wincing as he did so.
 
"These marks... it feels as if some kind of animal attacked me, almost... where would these marks have come from?"
 
Both Radish and Celery paused. The mental effects of what Radish did had been diffused quickly, but when it came to the physical... the physical scars would fade, but for the moment they still remained.
 
Celery turned slightly to look at Radish, who was looking at him also. Radish attempted a smile, "Ahaha... don't worry about that. I expect it's just damage you took during the battle, right?"
 
"The battle..."
 
"Mmn, the one we had a coupla days ago."
 
"Against... against the Sorcerer Hunters..."
 
"Yeah."
 
There was a vaguely uncomfortable silence as the group remembered the battle... or at least, as Marron remembered the battle, and Radish and Celery wondered just what it was he was thinking about...
 
Nobody said anything about the battle. Radish broke into a wide smile, hiding what he felt, trying to find out what Marron wanted.
 
"But hey, that doesn't matter, that's over now, done and dusted. Now it's time to relax, okay? So, we could go outside, we could go to the river..."
 
"We didn't kill them, did we?"
 
"Huh?"
 
"Those Sorcerer Hunters. We didn't kill them."
 
Radish paused, "N... o, we didn't..."
 
His smile returned, "... but that doesn't matter! They've left us alone, right? They probably won't be coming back any time soon, we don't need to worry about them. So, what do ya wanna do?"
 
Marron glanced in the direction of the window, looking at the bright sunlight.
 
"... I just want to relax until this pain leaves me..."
 
Radish nodded, "I see, I see. In bed, or in the garden, or...?"
 
Something occurred to Celery, "Or maybe in the upstairs...?"
 
"Oniisama?"
 
A slight shrug, "People often take hot baths to relax, don't you think that that might help?"
 
Radish's face brightened, "Aaah! Oniisama, that's a GREAT idea! Yeah! Hey Marron, what about spendin' some time in the hot tub? I'm definitely definitely sure it'd help. And I think oniisama has some of those... nice-smellin' soap salt... things... relaxey stuff, y'know. Yeaah!!"
 
Marron just blinked, "If you think it'll help, then I don't mind."
 
Radish leapt up, tugging at Marron's hand. "I'm sure it'll help! And even if it doesn't, a nice hot bath is always nice, right?"
 
Marron gently let himself be pulled from the bed, standing up, following Radish as he beckoned. The two of them rushed from the room... Celery debated following for a few moments, but then thought that Radish would probably prefer time alone with Marron. He had been waiting for him to wake up for quite some time, after all.
 
In the first bathroom, Radish was eagerly going through cupboards and cabinets for soaps and other things. He had a small armful of items to take into the bath; Marron just watched with slight amusement, "Are you sure we're going to need all of that?"
 
"Well, hey, doesn't hurt to be prepared or anything. C'monn, let's go!"
 
Radish certainly seemed happy to have Marron back, Marron just watched that enthusiasm with calm amusement... Radish thundered up the stairs to where the bath was, and set about starting it up. Marron stood near to the door while the bath filled up, and while Radish threw whatever soaps he wanted to use into the water.
 
Radish turned to look at Marron, "You can get undressed, unless you wanted to have a bath with yer nightshirt on. Hey, I'll join you in the bath."
 
Radish stood up, and proceeded to slip his shoes off, quickly take his shirt off... he smiled at Marron.
 
"Right?"
 
Marron just blinked, "If you want to", taking off his own nightshirt. He dropped it to the side, and looked over his body; Radish couldn't help but notice too. The marks on his arms, on his chest, on his hips... Radish felt a kind of awe, almost. Memory told him that he was the one to cause such things, but he could hardly remember at all... he supposed that was from the rage he'd felt, the rage, the anger and the lust... he looked back to the filling bathtub, feeling quietly guilty. Marron wouldn't remember what really gave him those marks, not if Celery'd done his job properly, and Radish at least trusted Celery for that. He sighed slightly. He thought about what his brother'd said, when he himself had wanted his mind wiped... when he'd felt such anguish, such sudden regret for what he'd done... feelings like those sprung up within him again as he swept his arm through the water to check the temperature. He hadn't even been able to stop himself... he hadn't been able to stop himself, he'd never been able to. He'd never been able to stop himself when it came to blowing up towns and villages in sudden anger... that'd never... of course, people would have died then, but it was never something he'd really regretted, not as such... thinking of events that bore more similarity to what happened with Marron... Celery's image appeared in Radish's mind. The anger, the passionate anger, the intense feelings... the power... overpowering someone, being able to do what you wanted with them, knowing they'd always forgive... knowing that their feelings were twisted enough for them to not mind that which happened... knowing that their feelings were twisted enough for them to even secretly await such events... Radish doubted that Celery would purposefully piss him off or anything, often he inflicted himself upon his brother without any reason at all, but... he never said 'no'... when he cried for Radish to stop it, even if he cried it so passionately, Radish would look Celery in the eyes, 'Do you really want me to stop?', and Celery would never say 'Yes'... Radish wondered what kind of person his brother was to act like that. He wondered what kind of person he was himself, for the same reasons... okay, so his brother was weird for liking that kind of thing, but wasn't he weird too for doing that kind of thing in the first place?
 
Radish wondered, quietly, when it'd all started. Much too long ago for him to remember. Childhood? Obviously the sexual trysts couldn't have started then, but did the feelings? He couldn't even remember. He remembered promises made, once their parents had dropped out of the picture, that they'd protect each other forever, the kind of brotherly thing that was natural in such a circumstance...
 
The bath was filling to a level where it was in peril of overflowing; Marron noticed this, stepping forward.
 
"Radish, the bath... Radish?"
 
Radish snapped out of his little mental backtracking, realising the situation, and controlling the water to stop. He let a little of it drain away, so the displacement caused by his and Marron's bodies wouldn't cause too much overflow. The staircase leading to the lower bathroom became quite dangerous when it was slippery.
 
Radish glanced up at Marron, feeling caught out, smiling slightly nervously.
 
"Sorry, I don't know what happened there... I must have drifted away."
 
"I see... I wondered if I should have said anything, but I thought that you probably knew what you were doing."
 
Radish laughed softly, "I totally zoned out. Anyway, it should be ready now, you can get in if you want."
 
Marron nodded, sitting on the side, letting his legs hang in the water for a little while before he launched himself into the water, enjoying the hot feeling spreading over his body. He shivered in delight, holding himself still up to the neck in the water for a few moments, closing his eyes as a blissful sigh escaped his lips.
 
Radish watched appreciatively, slightly distantly. Sometimes there was just nothing like a hot bath.
 
Letting Marron adjust to the feeling for a few moments, Radish carefully entered the bath himself, feeling a similar shudder rip involuntarily through his body, not that he minded. Such a feeling... Radish turned around, leaning his back against the edge of the tub, smiling happily at Marron.
 
"Seems it's too late not to get my hair wet."
 
"Same here... but perhaps it could do with washing. That battle seems so long ago, but I expect it wasn't long at all. I don't remember much, just feeling so tired... I suppose I slept through the night?"
 
"Through the night, through the days... I don't know how long it was, but it's gotta have been at least like, four days or something..."
 
Marron looked genuinely shocked, "Four days? I slept for that long?"
 
"Ye-yeah..."
 
Marron gazed at a point in the middle of the bath, looking and sounding disbelieving.
 
"... for that long... what can have happened to make me sleep that long? I can remember something like... a dream, a vision... something like that... but what of... I can barely remember..."
 
Marron frowned, Radish quietly watched him as something occurred to him.
 
"... maybe there is something I remember..."
 
"Hmn?"
 
"... I don't know... it seems so distant now, but... somehow... it was as if there were two people, and... I-I don't know. The two people were... they were similar, perhaps even the same... no, but they were different. I can't remember who those people were, though... what they looked like..."
 
He sighed with a smile.
 
"It all seems so distant and confusing now."
 
Radish reached out for a blue face flannel he'd brought up, which sat in his pile of bath supplies near the edge of the bath. He dipped it into the water then wrung it out, reaching out to brush it over Marron's forehead.
 
"Don't get worked up about it, it's probably nothing important. Dreams are just dreams, after all."
 
"I... I suppose."
 
Radish retracted his hand, staring at Marron, who stared back for a few moments before looking back down at the water. Radish found himself blushing, and he wasn't entirely sure why... it didn't matter, did it? Just because they were sharing a bath like that... Marron had wanted to relax, so that was what he was doing. Radish was determined to fight down the feelings of angry passion he'd felt in the past, such passion which had brought such regret that one time... no, but the feelings he felt currently... that was also a kind of passion, wasn't it? Looking at Marron, how he sat in the water... it was a passion, but without anger...
 
He was beautiful, though. Marron was leant against the side of the tub, his hair all about him, clinging to his body in places, sweeping out against the water in others... the water shifted with gentle neverending movement, lapping gently against his smooth body, just below his shoulders. The way his shoulders were, the slight echo in the water that was visible, Radish could just tell that Marron had his arms folded.
 
His body like that, with those marks that'd been left hard enough to remain on his body for a few days... bruises, Radish supposed... his body like that, his arms folded, his unsure stare into the dark part of the water... he seemed so guarded.
 
Radish looked across at one of his hands, where it leant against the floor next to the bath. Those hands, those fingers, they'd been enough to bruise Marron like that, hurt him like that... the hand he looked at clenched lightly. He didn't want to cause Marron pain, he didn't want to cause such physical branding... he looked back at Marron, who still stared at the middle of the water. Radish didn't want to hurt him. He didn't know what he wanted to do, but he was sure that he didn't want to hurt him. Even if Radish's anger was such that it just couldn't be tamed or controlled... at least until the next time, he wanted to protect Marron, keep him safe... no! Not even until the next time! Radish didn't want there to be a next time. Somebody so kind like that didn't deserve to be abused and betrayed like that by someone they trusted...
 
Again, Radish's mind drifted to thoughts of Celery.
 
Didn't his oniisama have that same kind of beauty? Nobody else could be as beautiful as Marron, but Celery certainly wasn't unattractive in his own right, he was quite beautiful himself. And he was so trusting, so kind and trusting that it worked against him in the end; Radish had taken advantage of that trusting kind nature, for so long he'd taken advantage of that personality, so much so, he didn't even regret the things he did, and he was never given cause to regret, because Celery never seemed to mind...
 
Radish just frowned at the water. What kind of relationship was that? True, Celery would do anything for him, and if anyone threatened Celery or put him into any kind of real danger, Radish knew he wouldn't hesitate to protect his oniisama...
 
... but who was there to protect Celery from Radish himself?
 
It was an uncomfortable thought, one that Radish knew the answer to, and it unsettled him, having never really questioned such things before... who was there to protect Celery? ... No-one, really. The two brothers were all either had ever had, up until so recently, when they'd been joined by Marron... and that was just Radish's own choice. He supposed that his decision to take Marron under his wing hurt Celery, but... Celery would always be there, wouldn't he? They were brothers, and that bond was always there, Radish supposed... whatever that bond was...
 
Celery had certainly become a little quieter recently, retreating back into his books, his studies... Radish supposed that Celery just felt he had to leave Radish alone... then there were other times, times like that time when Celery'd come into Radish's room, when he'd wanted so badly for Radish to take him, and he'd refused... Radish had actually, for once, refused sex. Sex was sex, wasn't it? With Celery, with Marron, with whoever, it didn't really matter, did it? But even so...
 
Radish looked up when he realised that Marron was staring at him. Feeling idly self-conscious, he glanced back, "... what?"
 
Marron just shook his head, smiling lightly.
 
"I'm just not used to seeing you so quiet like this."
 
"Huh?"
 
"You're sitting there so quietly... normally you're so loud and excitable, but it's an interesting change."
 
Radish just smiled, "I can be quiet too. You just make me excitable, I guess."
 
"I... see..."
 
"You don't... remember much from the battle or anything, do you? The battle, the fight, anything that happened then... do you?"
 
Marron shook his head, "Not really... I know that we faced the Sorcerer Hunters, I remember that, but as to what actually happened when we did so... no, I don't remember. I can't even remember what those Sorcerer Hunters look like, even..."
 
He thought about it for a few moments, just to make sure.
 
"... no, I don't remember."
 
"I suppose it's for the best. Still... before that... before the battle, I said I loved you... maybe you don't remember that, but, well, it's still true."
 
Radish reached out for a white bar of soap, dipping it and the flannel into the water, then working the soap against the towelled surface, then shifted in the water until he was standing in front of Marron. He gently pressed the flannel to Marron's left shoulder, working it against his skin.
 
"I just wanna make sure you're okay. The person who caused these bruises can't be forgiven... but I'd at least like to look after you."
 
Marron put his hand over Radish's hand which was still over the towel, "I'm sure my body can heal itself, Radish. I don't especially need to be looked after..."
 
Radish abruptly leant forward, silencing Marron with a kiss. He couldn't resist. The way he was naked in the water like that, the calm way in which he spoke, his deep, gentle voice, just everything about him...
 
The towel dropped into the water, bobbing slightly as it floated. Radish's hand held against Marron's shoulder still, the soap from before making it that bit more slick. That hand slipped around Marron's neck while his other found it's way around Marron's waist, drawing him nearer, pressing him closer. Marron'd been surprised, but he didn't object to Radish's kiss.
 
Radish drew back, feeling confused emotions pounding through his body.
 
"... even if you don't need to be looked after, I wanna look after you. I, I don't know why, I just wanna... you... don't mind, do you? I guess I just wanna protect you, but... I don't know..."
 
Marron smiled, "You seem so nervous all of a sudden."
 
"D-do I? I'm sorry..."
 
"No, it's alright..."
 
Radish felt the water lapping around his body... he felt suddenly so hot, was that from the water alone?... No, no it wasn't. He was sure. Marron was in front of him like that... he'd wrecked it the last time, but Marron didn't remember that last time, that last time where he'd cried 'niisan' continually... if Radish were to do anything again, might Marron call out the right name this time? Radish hoped so. Radish wanted to find out. Radish wanted to hear Marron's voice caught on the edge of unwavering passion, feel his body underneath him... his other hand went to Marron's other shoulder as his mindframe set itself firmly down that one track.
 
"... I suppose it still hurts here, right?"
 
Radish squeezed his hands against Marron's shoulders to punctuate his point.
 
"A little, but not if you don't press too hard..."
 
"Ah, I see, I see, sorry. Ah... what about down your arms...?"
 
"The same..."
 
Radish's hands moved to Marron's chest, "And there... I suppose it's the same again, isn't it?"
 
Marron nodded, "Mmn-"
 
Radish quietly occupied himself, catching the towel as it floated around, pressing it to his hand and washing it against Marron's body. He idly wondered what it felt like... he took special care to be gentle, two fingers underneath the towel stroking at Marron's nipple... Marron looked like he didn't know what to feel. Radish just gazed at him before ducking down, kissing down Marron's neck and shoulders, closing his eyes against the water as he submerged slightly to kiss against the nipple he wasn't brushing the towel against. He heard a slight gasp, "Ra-Radish... what are you...?"
 
Radish brought his head up, smiling, but with... almost a darker look in his eyes.
 
"... I want to look after you, Marron..."
 
He pressed his palm against Marron's upper stomach, "I suppose it might not hurt so much here," he dropped a little further, "... or here..."
 
Marron froze subtly as Radish's hand went further down than that, taking hold, stroking...
 
"... does it hurt there?"
 
Marron just blinked, "... not hurt, no..."
 
Silence in the room as Radish continued, "What does it feel like, then?"
 
"It feels... warm, somehow..."
 
Radish nodded, "I see..."
 
He leant forward to kiss Marron again, stroking until he felt the eventual hardness under his fingertips. He touched with slight pressure, letting his hand coax the water around Marron's erection into providing stimulus.
 
Marron shifted up in the water slightly, moving so his head could lean back against the edge of the bath.
 
"Aa... AH..."
 
Radish felt a different shiver shoot through his body at hearing that gasp. He moved to Marron's side, still moving his hand against Marron's body, leaning in to kiss Marron's neck instead of his lips. That, of course, left Marron's mouth free for expressing what he felt...
 
Marron's hands pressed against the underwater sides of the bath, but there was nothing to hold onto, just the smooth curve of the tub... almost without realising, he moved his hips in time with Radish's hand, small thrusts growing stronger, Radish's hand encouraging that movement. Radish smirked against the skin of Marron's neck, enjoying those gasps... he idly wondered what it'd be like for Marron to touch him, but... for the moment, this was enough. Radish was content for Marron to just sit back and take what Radish gave him, watching Marron brought him pleasure enough. The blush spread over Marron's cheeks,é the hazy look in his eyes... oh, but this was different to the time before. That time before, he'd looked and sounded just so lost, but he wasn't lost this time... or at least, if he was, he was lost somewhere different. Somewhere closer to where Radish was, somewhere Radish didn't mind losing Marron in.
 
Marron's pelvic thrusts increased with intensity, "Ra... Radish... this feeling..."
 
Radish just continued to nip and bite at Marron's neck, moving his hand a little faster, a little stronger... Marron's chest rose and fell continually, his gasps sounding a little more hoarse, a little more ragged... Radish couldn't resist a smirk. This was Marron's reaction to that... and what about to what would almost certainly come in the future? So much potential exploration, and Marron gasped so intently at just this touch...
 
"... Don't fight it, Marron... just... just let whatever happens, happen..."
 
"Ye-... yesss..."
 
Stronger now, more desperate. Marron's hands moved against the sides of the tub, trying to find something to hold onto there... hold onto, hold against... he seemed to be getting so close.
 
He almost cried out, "Ra-RADISH... Radish... it's... I... I can't stop it..."
 
Radish just whispered two words, "Then don't...", before Marron reached his climax, an elongated cry ripping itself from his body, his thrusts becoming stronger until he froze against Radish's hand, releasing himself, frozen there for a good few moments before falling back against the water.
 
Marron lay there for a short while, just recovering his breath.
 
"... Ra... dish..."
 
Radish just smiled, "You don't need to say anything, Marron. Only... did that help any?"
 
"... I feel like I could sleep again..."
 
"Well, don't do that."
 
"I feel so relaxed..."
 
Radish's smile deepened, "That's better."
 
His own arousal made his heart pound in his chest, but Marron did just look so relaxed, sleepy almost... Radish didn't want to ask Marron anything like that, not just yet. He just smiled despite his feelings, "The water'll be getting cold soon, maybe we should get out of the water?"
 
Marron's eyes were closed, he opened one eye and nodded, "Ye-yes..."
 
Radish helped Marron out of the water. Marron proceeded to head down the stairs, off to dry himself. Radish remained in the bath for a little while, wondering about perhaps touching himself, bringing himself to climax... he shook his head. It'd been a long time since he'd done that, he never really had cause to do that... because there was always someone else who was willing to... do that...
 
Radish paused as he thought about Celery. Again. Alright, so the brothers had been somewhat distant recently. They'd been distant, Radish had refused Celery when he'd asked him for his release earlier on, but... if Radish asked, Celery probably wouldn't say no, would he?
 
Radish trembled slightly as he stepped out of the bath and drained the water. He was a little unsure about asking something like that from his brother, but... it wasn't as if it was unusual for the two of them, at least.
 
Downstairs, he found the bathroom empty, a towel discarded to the side. Radish picked another and rubbed his body dry, loosely tying the towel around his waist, leaving the bathroom to find Celery.
 
Outside the bathroom, Radish met Marron.
 
"Radish! I was about to go into the garden. Care to join me?"
 
"Ah, in a little while, Marron... only... do you know where oniisama is?"
 
"Celery? Well, I haven't seen him... I imagine he's doing some of his magic studies..."
 
Radish headed down the stairs, "Thanks."
 
Celery was indeed busy at his desk underneath the staircase, he looked up as Radish thundered down the stairs.
 
"Otouto?"
 
Radish was followed by Marron, "I'll be waiting in the garden."
 
The two brothers nodded as Marron left the room.
 
Celery leant back on his chair, smirking lightly, looking at Radish over his reading glasses.
 
"You shouldn't walk around in just a towel, otouto. You'll catch cold."
 
"Hush, oniisama... in the bath, Marron, um... I..."
 
Radish made a hand gesture. Celery blinked, "You...?"
 
"Y-yeah. But I, uh..."
 
He flung the towel to the side unceremoniously, "I know you asked me and I pretty much said no and everything, but if I wanted you to, y'know... you wouldn't say no, would you?"
 
Celery stared fixatedly at Radish's arousal for a couple of seconds, "I'm not used to you being so shy about this, otouto..."
 
Celery was used to Radish demanding what he wanted in no flowery language at all. Again, Radish was demanding, but... usually such activities were without question, Radish wouldn't even have asked. Just demanded. Forced. Overpowered. That was how he always used to be.
 
Celery supposed that the change in his brother had been brought about by Marron, but he barely wanted to think about that. More important than idle thoughts was the fact that his brother was in front of him, wanting... that... what he'd always wanted in the past... what he'd always taken...
 
After that momentary pause, Celery set the book he'd been reading to the side and dropped to his knees from his chair, taking Radish's straining erection into his mouth without hesitation.
 
Radish gasped loudly at that feeling, but fought the urge to cry out, just talking hurriedly...
 
"Oniisama, oniisama... ah- ahnn... yess... d-don't do it for... for too long, though... don't want... don't want Marron to see..."
 
Celery thought to himself that Radish probably wouldn't be able to hold back for too long anyway, but kept to his brother's request. He moved his head with firm, deep strokes, pressing his tongue against his brother's hardness, moving purposefully, powerfully...
 
After a short while, too short for Celery's liking, this proved to be too much for Radish, who quickly grabbed hold of Celery's head, hunching himself against Celery, thrusting quickly into his brother's mouth, gasping with halting breaths as he reached his climax.
 
Celery let Radish hold himself there for as long as he needed, and remained still as his brother pulled back, quickly swallowing his brother's warm fluids, letting out a deep breath afterwards.
 
"So... it doesn't matter if it's you who need release, but if it's me..."
 
Radish was already heading upstairs again, this time to find some clothes. He just shook his head, "Don't talk about it, oniisama. I'm not in the mood. Will you be joining us outside?"
 
Celery tried to regain lost pride as he sat back up on his chair, adjusting his glasses. "Perhaps."
 
"Alright. I'll see you outside, then."
 
The sound of Radish thundering up the stairs, and then silence. Then Celery's deep sigh. He wondered if there was anything he could whisper with longing to the empty room, but everything he could think of seemed to be things he'd already thought and said many times before. It didn't matter. It never did, not really. Not to Radish.