Soul Eater Fan Fiction ❯ Soul Eater Chronicles: Return of the Witch ❯ The Mystery Girl ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Episode 2: The mystery girl
Back at the buffet table, the “Battle of the Human Garbage Cans” finally ends with a tie after the two competitors ate themselves to sleep. Soul was leaning back with his mouth wide open making a waterfall, while Black Star was face down on the table making a lake. Tsubaki was trying to wake them but to no avail. Patti couldn't help laugh her head off, while Liz was just keeping it cool with some punch. Crona and Maka were enjoying themselves, when the latter noticed someone missing.
“Where's Kid? He should be enjoying the party with us.”
Liz sipped her drink and shook her head, “Nope, he's probably with that girl right now. She said she was a secret admirer of his.”
“Kid has a secret admirer?”
“Yeah, it's really nothing to worry about. He usually gets at least two or three love confessions a year, but after the Kishin's defeat, the rate went up at to a confession per month.”
“WHAT! Kid's that popular?” exclaimed Soul. Having overheard the conversation, he suddenly sprang back to life together with Black Star.
“No one outshines the Great One!” They searched the room but couldn't locate him. On the dance floor was Sid-sama who was either doing some sort of dance or having convulsions. The other part of the room was a heated debate turned to a fist fight between Ox and some other students. Lastly on the balcony, a small crowd of girls were watching Spirit and Stein muscle it out.
One look and Black Star felt woozy, “Ugh, there's nothing here but man on man action.” Desperate, Soul turned to Maka's Soul Perception to find him.
Speaking of the devil, Kid was at one of the top floors of the main building in search of his admirer. Normally, he wouldn't go to such lengths for the sake of a girl but what drove him was the three-eyed symbol of the Kishin drawn at the back. Following the directions of a piece of paper, he made his way to the central spire of the building where Black Star usually stood as he proclaimed his own greatness to the world. However, another person was now there instead. She was wearing a black dress that had small bat-like wings. Her outfit almost made her invisible in the moonless night had it not been for her long red hair that flowed freely with the wind. She was staring off into the distance so Kid called out to her.
“What are you doing? Get down from there! It's dangerous.” Amidst the howling wind, he managed to catch her attention. She turned around and looked at him straight in the eyes. Kid was startled. Before him was an extremely beautiful person. Basing from her looks, she was probably about the same age as he was. But what really caught his attention was the fact that this person had glowing yellow eyes. Her lips curled up into a smile as she approached him.
“Who are you?” he asked.
“I'm your secret admirer, Kid-kun,” she giggled. The winds began to die down as she stepped closer into the light. Observing her with great detail, Kid was even more surprised to discover how perfectly symmetric she was from the left side to the right side of her face and body that it made him smile.
“What's the meaning of this,” he asked, showing him the Kishin's symbol.
“Oh nothing, I just had to think of something that may grab your attention,” she said and turned back towards the tip of the spire.
“Wait, that's dangerous. Get down from there!” he called out.
“Aren't you forgetting something?” she asked playfully, presenting him with what appeared to be a ring. He immediately recognized it. His hands started to shake as he looked down and discovered it missing from his right hand. “This is sick!” His stomach turned, a major migraine hit him and he swore his hair was turning white. Kid nearly lost consciousness but managed to hold it together.
“P-please, please give it back,” he begged for dear life.
“Why don't you come and get it?” she giggled not knowing the gravity of the situation, the importance of that object and how it could mean the difference between life and death. Having no other choice, Kid slowly stepped unto the spire. His vision blurred after one step so he got on all fours. His hands and legs were shaking, but he was able to make it towards the girl.
“I admire your resolve, Kid,” she crouched down and handed him the ring. Overjoyed, he quickly put it on. All was right in the world again.
“But now, you're mine,” she lifted his chin with her finger. He saw a strange look in her eyes. It was malicious intent. He was unsure, but he felt charmed by this lady. When she got up, he did too. He felt a streak of pink across his face as they were face-to-face now. He couldn't resist at all when she moved in for a kiss. It was simply magical. Of course, this wasn't because of the correct timing of fireworks in the background due to the occasion or the fact that when viewed from the front of the school, their position was in perfect symmetry.
“Oh come on! That's not fair!” Soul and Black Star cried out in astonishment. They were standing a few meters away when the moment happened.
“What?” Kid was startled, he looked back, “W-what are you guys doing here?” At that fatal moment of distraction, a wicked grin formed across the girl's face. She whispered, “Soul Release”
Back at the party, several students dropped what they were doing, literally. Plates, cups, and even dance partners hit the floor. Even the Shinigami was stopped in his tracks.
“A witch! No way,” Maka was shocked. It was only three months since they defeated the Kishin, Arachnophobia and Medusa. The fact that a witch's soul entered Shibusen, Death City no less, was absurd. But it happened. Stein quickly alerted Spirit and the rest of the students to what had happened. Sid and the rest of the faculty were now in charge of the safety of the students while the witch was handled by Stein, Spirit, Crona, Tsubaki, Liz, and Patti with Maka leading the charge.
Back at the spire, “Let go off me!” demanded Kid as the witch had wrapped her arms around him from behind. As Soul and Black Star rushed to his aid, the witch leaned back and fell, taking their friend along with her.
“No!” they cried out, helpless as Kid disappeared into the darkness below. By that time, the clouds parted ways while Maka and the others arrived.
“Where's Kid?” asked Liz. Black Star answered, “He's gone…Kid is-”
“No, he's not,” interrupted Stein. He pointed towards the sky. The moon revealed a large pair of dark wings moving away at an amazing speed. Using her Soul Perception, Maka saw Kid's soul underneath a witch's soul with protruding wings. Stein continued, “Whoever took him is pretty bold. She anticipated we'd drop our guard after the Kishin incident.”
“What's going to happen to Kid-kun?” asked Patti.