Spirited Away Fan Fiction ❯ Promises Never Kept ❯ Promises Never Kept ( One-Shot )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Disclaimer: I. Don't. Own. It. WOW!!!!

A/N: I was watching Spirited Away during Thanksgiving with my cousins (who kept on annoying me by jumping in front to block my view thoroughly) and was surprised at how much I enjoyed it. But it didn't resolve anything. But then.... that's what fanfiction is for, isn't it?

I know this'll never happen, but it's an interesting aspect. Forgive me if I get the lingo wrong. And I forgot Haku's real name, so.... *sheepish look*... it's remaining Haku.

Promises Never Kept

Chihiro looked out at the water, chocolate eyes softening. She gulped, then took off the shimmering band from her hair. She held it in her slender fingers, turning it over, and rolling it from side to side.

She suddenly spoke, the silence finally too much to bear. "Haku," she whispered softly into the breeze, addressing the water beneath her. She stayed silent for a while after that, not ready to deal with the harsh truth, the reality of it all.

She smiled bitterly. "You promised," she continued, feeling a sort of release from having the words bottled up in her for so long. "You promised me something, but you never kept it."

She looked up at the skies feeling the wind rustle her hair. Pressing her cheek against the cold metal of the railing, she felt the hot tears finally come.

"For years I spent all this time just waiting for you. I don't know what I was expecting- for you to just come out of the water, smite down all my little admirers and take me off to the sunset." She stopped speaking for a while, fingering the band still. The tears rolled off of her cheeks, some dripping into the water.

"I don't know when I finally realized it. The first few weeks, I just stood around the river, spending all of my free time there, waiting for you to be done with your business. The next few months, I decided that you might have some more detaining business. I kept on giving excuses for you."

She licked her lips, finally looking out into the horizon where the water seemed to meet the sky. "But you made a promise," she whispered, rubbing the band into her cheek. "You made a promise, and excuses can't get in the way."

She longingly looked down where the sun was striking the water, making it sparkle. Like Haku's eyes. "Mom and Dad thought it was just a phase so they left me alone. And that's what I wanted, until you would come. But you never did."

Chihiro fought to keep her face expressionless, but after a while, she just bit her lip, closing her eyes, and letting the tears leak through. "True love. Yeah right. They say true love is everything." Her eyelids fluttered open as a hardness descended upon them. A bitter smile curled around her pink lips. "But I proved it wrong," she whispered harshly. "After a few years, I got the point. So I got a boyfriend who was dumb, cute and utterly infatuated with me."

"Whenever we kissed, I tried to find the spark that I'd feel whenever you smiled at me. Whenever we were alone together, I tried to be satisfied with drowning my world with him."

Her head lolled to her other side as her eyes became glassy once more. "But it never worked," she whispered. "Whenever I close my eyes, I see you. Whenever I try to go off to sleep, all I do is hear your voice." She trailed off uncertainly, and was about to speak when she heard somebody approach.

Chihiro quickly wiped her tears off with the back of her hand, trying to act as if everything was going perfectly.

"By this river again?" An amused voice came in back of her before sitting behind her and delivering a kiss to the nape of her neck.

"Oh," she said, cautiously. "I just wanted to be by here before we take off for our honeymoon."

He wrapped his arms around her waist, drawing her closer to him and kissing the tears off of the sides of her cheeks. "What's the matter?" He asked concernedly as she turned her head to meet his gaze.

She smiled slightly. "Not much. Just some old ghosts I needed to take care of before we went. Can you go on for a bit? I'll catch up in a few seconds."

"All right," he grinned, capturing her lips with his for a few heart-wrenching moments before walking to the end of the bridge.

Chihiro looked back upon the shimmering water, eyes now clear and devoid of any emotion. She kissed the sparkling band tenderly, took a deep breath, and threw it into the water, as far as she could make it go.

She turned about, walking back toward her husband at the end of the bridge.

'My last connection-----

Maybe I'll be able

To live without you.

Maybe I'll forget,

Of all our moments.

And maybe I'll learn

To love another. '

Faire une fin