Spirited Away Fan Fiction ❯ Wishful Thinking ❯ One-Shot

[ A - All Readers ]

A/n: I know, I know. It’s very short. But hey this was just an idea, and it won’t move any further than it already has, so short or not, I’m still posting it. Hope you people like it though.

Oh, standard disclaimers and such apply, though I can never understand why this seems to be compulsory in fanfics…

Wishful Thinking

‘I am going to be 18 tomorrow, time flies so fast when you least expect it to.’ Chihiro reflected to herself. ‘It has been so long since I had first stepped into the spirit world and then left it. I wonder if the spirits still remember me, and if Kohaku will come and find me.’

Shifting away from the window she was leaning against, she turned her attention away from the outside world into the living room of the house which she had called home since her little misadventure in the spirit world. The living room was decorated in multicolored strings, ribbons and balloons, ready to host her birthday party tomorrow night where all her new friends would come and celebrate along with her and her parents.

‘My parents. They never regained the memories which they lost from our trip to the spirit world. Only I remember all that had happened then as if it was just yesterday. I wonder why…’ Pushing herself away from the windowsill, she walked towards the center of the living room, looking around.

‘How I have changed since that trip. I kept pushing myself to always do my best. Now, I am the top student in my class, have rank within all the societies that I have joined and have even made quite a few friends. And those friends are the ones who will be standing under this roof tomorrow night, though they are not the ones whom I fervently hope to see tomorrow. Oh, how I had wished and hoped, birthday after birthday, however that one wish was never granted even if that had been the only wish I had ever uttered after I left them. And this year… I will wish again.’

Lowering her head upon her interlocking fingers, she whispered “Please come, my friends from the spirit world, please visit me as I am unable to visit you though I’ve tried…†Oh how she had tried to return to the spirit world, if one thing or another doesn’t get in the way when she tried to get to the entrance to the spirit world, then when she reaches the entrance she is always denied entry. The one time she forced her way through the tunnel, the only thing she found on the other side was just a dry creek bed and an abandoned amusement park.

She nearly broke down with that in sight but instead she held her head high, straightens her shoulders and continued to stand tall, though a few tears made a clear path down her cheeks from the corner of her eyes, dripping to the ground at the end of her jaw lines silently. Ever since that one time she was denied entry, she refused to force her way in again. If she sees that desolation in the place where her friends were suppose to be again, it would break her heart.

‘Please, if to meet all of them is too much to ask, at least let me see Kohaku again. All these years, everything that I have done and achieved was with the goal to please them, to make those who have helped me in the spirit world proud of me. Oh, please, PLEASE let my wish be granted this year.’ Two teardrops slid past her closed eyelids as Chihiro fervently prayed, wishing as she does every year before and during her birthday, hoping against hope that this time her wish will be granted.

OWARI

My partner and I are trying to make a sequel and it will probably come out in a month or two. Please let me know if you want me to post the sequel as the next chapter or another fic entirely. I am working on an angsty ending while my partner is writing up a happy alternate ending. So please let us know how you want it.

This isn’t much of a fic is it? Oh well, all the same, REVIEWS are MUCH APPRECIATED!

*Blaze*