Sports Fan Fiction ❯ Punishment ❯ Heartbreak ( Chapter 8 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Twelve deep lacerations. Twenty-eight minor lacerations. Two broken bones. A bevy of bruises.

Casey listened as the doctor continued to speak of him as though he were not there. He found that it didn't bother him. He wanted nothing more than to be truly invisible

He had always been quiet, introspective. The kind of man that kept to himself, especially in times of trauma. He had always felt the need to figure things out on his own. This situation was no different. He wanted time to think. To pore over all that had occurred and try to find himself again.

"Casey, honey," Jamie's voice was small next to his ear, so small that he barely recognized it.

Slowly, he turned his head and gazed into a pair of eyes that had once been so full of life. What he now saw was pain, anguish, and guilt. He tried his best not to be glad of the guilt, but a part of him was. Though he tried mightily not to, a part of him blamed Jamie for the response of his own body.

He loved Jamie, of that he was certain. Loved him completely. There was virtually nothing in the world he could think of that he wouldn't do for Jamie. But the pain in his eyes, the heartache in his voice, those were things he knew he could not fix. Their pain was separate from one another and would have to be fixed in that same way. Away from one another.

His heart ached as he tried to find the words he would need to break his lover's heart.

"Jamie," he winced slight on an intake of breath, the pain still fresh, "I-I want to go home."

"Oh, oh sweetheart, of course. Just let me get the nurse, or doctor, or whoever I need to see. I'll get you home, I promise," though not brilliant, light shone in Jamie's eyes again for an instant. Casey felt sick.

"No, Jamie. No. I want to go home----Alone," he stared at his hands, unable to watch Jamie's world crumble.

The sound of Jamie questioningly murmuring his name filled his ears, but he did not lift his head. If he had, he was certain he would change his mind. He would desperately want to make the world right for Jamie. And that was something he couldn't do. He had been violated, nearly destroyed. He had his own world to fix.

"I'm s-sorry, J-jamie. I just have to be alone right n-now. I have to f-fix me before I can even t-think about f-fixing us," he stammered.

He listened as Jamie's breathing turned labored. The tears that had surely started as a trickle, now became torrents. Coming down with enough ferocity to cause sniffling and gasping. He had caused Jamie more pain that he had ever hoped to in that single moment, but he knew it was best. For both of them.

He sighed softly as Jamie's lips gently brushed his. His own tears began to fall as he heard the retreat of footsteps from the room. As the door shut, he realized he was truly alone for the first time in his life. And he was glad of it.

"I love you, Jamie," he whispered to the air of finality that suddenly surrounded him.