Spyro Fan Fiction ❯ A Turbulent Life ❯ The Sorcerer Returns ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Recap: After resting from the events that happened at Times Square and the shoreline of Stone Hill, Red and Spyro went out for some much-needed and long-expected father/son time.  They both really enjoyed the time they spent together because they both had a lot of fun.  But fun usually comes at a price.  After Hunter and Gildas returned from hunting, a fierce storm began ravaging the landscape.  To take shelter from the storm, Spyro, Red, Bianca, Hunter, and Gildas went to the castle.  The castle held firm as the storm kept intensifying.  But then, a freak tornado made its way into the castle, sucking up Spyro.  Red got in front of it before teleporting inside it.  But it seemed hopeless as the winds were taking their toll on him.  Suddenly, his amulet glowed brightly again, allowing him to not only get to Spyro, but also destroy the freak tornado.  Then the weather gradually returned to normal.
/ is Cosma mental talk
// is Red mental talk
\ is anyone else who comes in contact with the amulet mental talk (for this chapter only)
' is thoughts






     &n bsp;                                   Chapter 4: The Sorcerer Returns

Everything was peaceful and calm.  It was now early evening.  The sun had set, letting the moon and stars light up the dark sky.  Spyro was currently looking out of one of the castle towers' windows, enjoying the peace that had returned again after it was crashed earlier.

After the situations at Town Square and the beach area of Stone Hill, peace had returned.  After having a good nap, he wanted to have some quality time with his father.  Red happily agreed  to that and took him flying, doing aerodynamics as well.  They headed to Sunny Flight a half hour later because Spyro wanted to fly on his own.  They had flown around for a little over an hour, taking out the trains, planes, chests and arches along the way.  Then they returned to Stone Hill to recuperate.  Only half an hour later, things took a bad turn.  The weather that was sunny and bright suddenly became very stormy.  For Red, it was all too clear that Misteria was behind the sudden storm.

Red, Gildas, Bianca, Hunter and Spyro headed towards the castle to take refuge from the storm.  They almost made it before a big wind gust blew Spyro away.  Red instantly went after him.  Getting to Spyro was the easy part because he actually flew with the wind.  Getting back to the castle was the tricky part because he flew against the wind.

He made it though.  For about two hours, the stormonly intensified.  The castle though was very well built because it held solid as a rock.  Totally angry at seeing that the castle would not fall, Misteria pulled off a sneaky move.  She created tornadoes and sent them through the castle windows.  Once inside the castle, the tornadoes merged into one.  

Spyro immediately began to get sucked into the unnatural twister.  Gildas tried to help but was blown against the wall.  It looked hopeless as Spyro was sucked into the twister.  Before the twister could make it through the window though, Red got in front ot it to the shock and horror of Bianca, Gildas and Hunter. 

Then Red had actually teleported inside the tornado and immediately felt the winds trying ot send him out.  He struggled to get to Spyro through the intensifying winds inside the center of the twister.  He was seriously losing the battle but he refused to give up.  It seemed hopeless again when his amulet suddenly glowed again.  The amulet's light both restored his energy and gave him protection against the tornado's winds.  He took advantage of the amulet's help by successfully getting to Spyro.  Then the amulet dissipated the tornado.  Not too long afterwards, the storm itself had died down.
     
"Enjoying the night?" a voice asked.
      
Spyro turned around and saw Bianca standing there.  "Yeah," he responded.  "After a storm like the one Misteria created, it makes nights like this a lot better."  Because his back was now facing the window, he was unaware that Red now hovered just outside it.

"It does.  That was one heck of a storm.  None of the storms I've been through have come close to the one today," Bianca said.  Since she was facing the window, she saw Red there.  She saw him wink at her and knew that he wanted to see Spyro's reaction to suddenly seeing him there.  'I want to see how Spyro reacts myself,' she thought.

Spyro looked back out the window.  "Aaaahhhh!" he screamed, jumping backwards.  He went back to the window to see Red hovering just outside it.

Red and Bianca had their hands over their mouths, trying hard not to laugh.  It was in vain because they first started chuckling.  Then they burst out laughing at the same time.  Red laughed so hard that he had a little trouble staying aloft.  Bianca on the other hand was laughing so hard that she was doubled over.  She also had tears coming from her eyes.

"The...look on...your face...Spyro.  It...was...priceless," Red said through laughs.

Spyro had to laugh as well.  "You got me good dad.  I wasn't expecting to see you," he said.

"That's what...I was...hoping for," Red said.

"Hey, what's so funny?" Hunter asked.  He heard Spyro scream.  He was worried until he heard Red and Biana laughing pretty hard.  Wanting to know what was going on, he went up to them and saw Red just outside the window.

"Red...scared Spyro," Bianca said through laughs.  She recovered long enough to tell Hunter what happened before laughing again.

Hunter started laughing himself.  "You're right.  That is funny," he said before going back down.

Red came back inside the castle and closed the door.  He couldn't help the chuckles that came out.  Bianca came down and they gave each other a high-five.

"Thanks for not telling him I was there," Red said.

"I wanted to see his reaction as much as you did," Bianca said.

"Well I think that we should get some sleep.  It's been quite a day for all of us," Gildas said.

"All right," Bianca said.  "Come on down Spyro.  It's time to go to bed!" she called out.

"Here I come!" Spyro called back down.  He ran down the tower stairs.  He found out the hard way that he shouldn't have run down then.

The stairs were pretty steep.  Spyro tripped over himself and began tumbling down the stairs.  He hit an arrow-like step and went flying towards the wall like an arrow being shot at a target.  He closed his eyes, anticipating the very painful impact.  Fortunately, it never came.  Spyro opened his eyes to see that he was suspended in midair.  He shifted and felt strong arms shift with him.  He looked up and into his father's worried gaze.

"Are you all right?" Red asked.  He heard the sound of running and very literally flew up the stairs because he knew that Spyro would end up tumbling down them.  He knew about the awkward step and positioned himself halfway between that step and the wall to make the critical catch.

"I am now," Spyro responded.

Red landed and placed Spyro down.

"What were you thinking Spyro?" Gildas asked.

"I wasn't thinking.  I forgot how steep these stairs are," Spyro responded.

"Make sure to remember that these stairs are steep.  You might not be so lucky next time," Gildas said.

"I will," Spyro said.  He then got on one of the pillows before curling up and going to sleep.

Bianca brought one of the blankets over and covered Spyro with it.  The others were about to settle down to sleep as well.  Hunter happened to be looking out a window when he saw a little yellow ball of light coming through.  The yellow ball of light turned out to be Sparx.

"I was wondering where you guys were.  I leave for twenty minutes and come back to seee that you've left," Sparx said.

"Shh!  Spyro's asleep," Gildas said quietly.

Sparx looked around Gilda to see that Spyro was indeed asleep.  Bianca lifted the blanket enough for Sparx to be able to slide upder.  Sparx did just that and fell asleep.  Then Bianca and the others took the four remaining pillows and blankets and got settled in before falling asleep as well.

Meanwhile, the Sorcerer began his journey to the Dragon World.  "The time for revenge draws closer.  If all goes according to plan, I won't have to be involved that much.  Red won't be able to do anything to stop me because he'll be the one who terminates Spyro.  It shouldn't be hard to have him under my power again," he said snickering.  'What a perfect revenge it wold be to have Red responsible for his own son's death,' he thought smirking.

Other than the Sorcerer on the move, the night was fairly peaceful.  The next morning, Spyro awakened first.  He saw his little friend Sparx sleeping next to him.  Upon no longer feeling the blanket, Sparx awoke as well.  He saw Spryo and smiled.

"Morning Spyro," Sparx said yawning.

"Morning," Spyro said.

"So what do you want to do?" Sparx asked.

"Let's just go for a walk," Spyro responded.  He made sure not to make too much noise because he didn't want to disturb the others.  He carefully walked up the stairs and glided out of the second-story window.  When on the ground, he and Sparx went on a stroll.  Along the way, Spyro told Sparx all that happened yesterday.
      
Sparx had to laugh when he heard how Red scared Spyro.

"I was hoping I'd find you here Spyro," a familiar voice said an hour later.

Spyro turned his attention towards the voice and saw Astor up ahead.  He smiled and walked over towards Astor.  "How are you today?" he asked.

"I'm just fine," Astor responded.  "Are you fairing up all right?" he added.

"Besides having Misteria and now Ineptune after me, I've been holding up pretty good," Spyro responded.

"So, where are Red and your friends Bianca and Hunter?" Astor asked.

"Oh, they're back at the castle with uncle Gildas.  I wanted to just go for a stroll this morning but I didn't want to wake them up," Spyro responded.

"Happy stroll then," Astor said before flying off.

Spyro and Sparx continued their stroll.  Meanwhile back at the castle, Red and the others had awakened to find Spyro and Sparx gone.

"How did Spyro get out?" Hunter asked.

"He glided out a window," Red responded simply.

"Should we look for him?" Bianca asked.

"Not yet," Gildas responded.

Red had silently opened the door and quietly snuck out.  'I'm sorry Gildas.  It's just that I have a bad feeling,' he thought before taking to the air to search for Spyro and Sparx.

Half an hour, Spyro and Sparx were on their way back to the castle.  They had run into Lindar and Carvin during the stroll as well and had a friendly little chat for several moments.  What Spyro and Sparx didn't know was that the Sorcerer was following them.  The Sorcerer waited until he was sure that any other dragons weren't around.  Then he appeared right in front of Spyro.

"I thought I defeated you," Spyro said.

"You did.  After my embarrassing loss to you, I went into hiding.  I spent the time enhancing my powers.  I am a lot stronger than when you faced me last time.  And it appears that unlike me, you let your magic fade away.  I can sense that you have only a tiny amount of magic left in you.  You wouldn't stand a chance against me now," the Sorcerer said smirking, the smirk not able to be seen because of the mask.  Then he knocked Spyro out with a sleeping spell.  He was about to pick up Spyro and disappear when an ice beam cam in between him and Spyro.

"Stay away from him Sorcerer," Red said upon landing in front of Spyro, staff at the ready.

"Well, the father has arrived.  This is going better than I hoped," the Sorcerer said smirking.

"I won't let you take him," Red said.

"But you won't have a choice in the matter," the Sorcerer said before knocking Red out with the same sleeping spelll.  He then disappeared with both Red and Spyro.

"Red!  Spyro!" Sparx cried.  He then flew for the castle as fast as his wings would allow.

Meanwhile, the Sorcerer had reappeared in his chamber.  Then he created a dark energy cage and put Spyro in it.  Then he used his powers to levitate it and hang it from the ceiling.  He then levitated Red onto a table and put dark energy bonds around his wrists and feet.  Then the Sorcerer snapped his fingers, undoing the sleeping spell.

Spyro awakened to find himself in a cage.  "What's going on?" he asked.  He tried to flame his way out, but the bars absorbed his flame.

"You won't be able to get out of there so don't even try," the Sorcerer said.

Red soon awakened.  He found himself unable to move much.  He struggled against his bonds but it proved futile.  He then turned his attention back to the Sorcerer.  "What do you want?" he asked dryly.

"You're in no position to make demands.  You won't be once you're under my power once again," the Sorcerer said.

"I will never work for you again," Red retorted.

"You won't be able to stop me Red.  I'll have the satisfaction of watching you kill your own son," the Sorcerer said before staring the spell.  'And even though Spyro is pretty high up, I've made it so that he can see and hear everything that's happening down here,' he secretly added.

Red tried to fight off the spell.  'I won't let him get away with this. I won't allow him to make me kill Spyro,' he thought.  He fought a losing battle however.

The spell proved to be a very strong one.  It powered through the mental defenses he built around his mind.  Although high up, Spyro could hear everything the Sorcerer said and saw sweat rolling down Red's face, a clear sign of struggling against the spell.  He watched helplessly as the sweat on Red's face began to dry up, meaning that the spell was taking effect.

'I wish that there was a way to help dad,' Spyro thought helplessly.l

"I won't let you win Sorcerer," Red said.

"The spell is taking affect.  It won't be much longer until you're under my power once again," the Sorcerer said.

/Not if I can help it/

Red heard the voice in his head.  'There's that voice again,' he thought.

Suddenly, the amulet around Red's neck glowed brightly.  Red closed his eyes from the amulet's brightness.  The Sorcerer also had to sheild his eyes.

"What's this?" the Sorcerer asked.

'What's going on?' Red wondered.  He soon had his answer.

The bonds holding Red to the table disappeared, and he quickly got off.  He also no longer felt the Sorcerer's spell in his mind.  Just as the spell was about to take full effect, the amulet's power greatly overpowered and destroyed the spell.  Red quickly used the Banish spell to send the Sorcerer flying into a wall, knocking the Sorcerer unconscious as well.  His staff suddenly appeared in his hand and he used it to create ice bonds, chaining the Sorcerer to the wall.

'That should hold him for a while,' Red thought before his staff disappeared.  He then looked up and saw the bottom of a cage that was dangling from the ceiling.  He flew up towards the cage, amulet still glowing.  He was soon in front of Spyro.  Spyro looked at his father in awe.  The amulet shone like the moon.

"It's all right Spyro.  The amulet's power freed me from the Sorcerer's spell," Red said before opening his arms out.

Spyro nodded in relief.  Then the amulet glowed a little brighter.  Spyro saw several of the cage bars dissipate.  He jumped out of the cage and into his father's waiting arms.  The amulet then fired a beam at the wall, creating a big hole before going neutral again.  Red flew out of the hole before teleporting back to Stone Hill.  He reappeared over the castle and landed at the door.  Sparx just happened to be outside when he saw them land.

"Spyro!  Red!  You're all right!" Sparx shouted in relief.

"We wouldn't have been if not for the power of dad's amulet," Spyro said.

"The others are inside.  I'll tell them to open the door," Sparx said.

"No need.  I'll teleport inside," Red said.

Sparx nodded and flew inside through a window.  Red appeared inside the castle and put Spyro down.  Hunter, Bianca and Gildas were overjoyed and relieved upon seeing Red and Spyro.

"Thank goodness you two are all right," Bianca said.

"Sparx told us what happened," Hunter said.

"Yes.  The Sorcerer has returned," Red said before he and Spyro took turns explaining what happened after they were captured.

"It's for certain now.  The amulet obviously wants to help us," Hunter said.

"I've realized that too," Red said.  "Sparx, do you know if Sensei is still here?" he added.

"Yes he is.  I saw him on my way here," Sparx responded.

"Can you take me to him?" Red asked.

"Sure.  Follow me," Sparx responded before flying off.  'I just hope that he's still where I saw him,' he thought.

"May I tag along?" Spyro asked.

"I don't see why not," Red responded, not yet knowing that decision would be a good thing.  He picked up Spyro and flew off after Sparx.  'Maybe Sensei can help me link to the amulet,' he thought.

They arrived at the area ten minutes later.  To Sparx's relief, Ragnar was still there.  Ragnar was meditating.  Sensing that he had company, he came out of meditation in time to see Red and Sparx land before Red put Spyro down.  The look on Red's face told him that something was up.

"What happened?" Ragnar asked.

Red told him what happened.  Ragnar was very disturbed to say the least.  He feared that the Sorcerer would return.  Now he learned that his fear came true.

"I see.  Having to deal with Misteria and Ineptune is bad enough.  Now we have the Sorcerer to deal with as well.  This is very bad news indeed," Ragnar said.  "But it's clear that you need to link with your amulet," he added.

"That's why I came Sensei.  I was hoping that you could help me," Red said.

"I'll do the best I can," Ragnar said.  He then touched the amulet before closing his eyes in concentration.

/Hello Wise One/ the voice said.

\Hello.  May I ask who you are?\

/You may indeed.  I am Cosma.  When I was alive, I was the most powerful fairy in existence/

\So you're really dead so to speak\ Ragnar said.

/Only my body is dead.  As you're hearing, my soul is still very much alive/

\How did your soul become in this amulet?\ Ragnar asked.

/I sealed my soul into this amulet.  I wanted to continue to help others.  Before my body died, I cast a spell on the amulet that would allow my soul to dwell in it, even though my soul would forever remain in the amulet because the spell is permanent/

\Although I have a hunch about my next question, I'll ask anyway.  How come you didn't help Red until recently?\

/It was because Red had hardened his heart and became evil.  When Misteria killed his wife, I decided to give him a hand.  But I sensed the growing darkness in his heart, which was the beginning of him becoming evil.  I remained dormant because the forces of evil and I don't mix.  In fact, I was evil's worst nightmare when I was completely alive/

Ragnar took his hand off the jewel.

"I heard everything she said," Red said.

"You don't have to just hear.  You can communicate with her as well.  Just clear your mind of all thoughts and focus on getting through to her.  That's why you haven't been able to communicate with her yet," Ragnar said.

Red closed his eyes.  He cleared his mind of all thoughts before opening his eyes again.  //Can you hear me?//

/Yes I can, well done/

//How are we able to do this though?//

/I honestly don't know/

//How can I fully link to you?//

/That's fairly simple.  All you need to do is fully open your mind to me.  I can complete the link from there/

Red did as Cosma told him.  In just several seconds, he began to slowly feel the amulet's power flowing into him and mingling with the power he already had.  The process took only an hour.  After the link was fully established, Red opened his eyes again.

"How do you feel?" Ragnar asked.

"I feel stronger Sensei.  Stronger that I have ever felt before," Red responded.

Ragnar nodded.  "And I know that you will put your increased power to good use," he said.

"Yes I will," Red said.  Then he picked up Spyro and flew back to the castle.

Sparx soon caught up and flew alongside Red.  They arrived at the castle ten minutes later to find the door busted open.  They landed, and Red put Spyro down.  Spyro rushed inside with Red and Sparx close behind.  They saw Bianca, Hunter and Gildas trapped in a shadow cage.  The Sorcerer was standing nearby.

"I knew that you would return so I decided to wait," the Sorcerer said.  "Plus I want some payback for your icy stunt Red," he added.

"Let them go," Red said.

"Hand over Spyro, and I will let them go," the Sorcerer said.

"Don't do it Spyro," Bianca said.

Spyro looked on with indecision.  'I don't want to be at the Sorcerer's mercy, but I don't want him to hurt my friends and uncle either.  I don't know what to do,' he thought.

/One of your new powers is invisibility.  You can use it to get past the Sorcerer and free the others/

//Thank you Cosma// He saw that the Sorcerer wasn't paying any attention to him.  Quickly taking advantage, he concentrated and became invisible.  He easily got past the Sorcerer and stood next to the cage.  'It's a good thing that Spyro was with me or the Sorcerer would've already had him,' he suddenly thought.

A purple aura engulfed Red, and he touched two of the cage's bars.  The bars disappeared.  Hunter, Gildas and Bianca were amazed upon seeing the two cage bars suddenly disappear.  Their amazement grew as two more bars disappeared.  Deciding to ask later, they quietly stepped out of the cage.  Spyro had seen what happened.

'How did those bars suddenly disappear?  I know the Sorcerer didn't do it.  But the important thing is that my friends and uncle are free,' he thought.  He looked around and didn't see Red anywhere.  'That's strange.  Where did dad go?'

"I'm being more patient than I usually am.  What is your decision?" the Sorcerer said.

"I won't go with you," Spyro said.

"Then your friends will forever be my prisoners," the Sorcerer said.

"You may want to look again," a familiar deep voice said.

The Sorcerer looked back and saw that his hostages were now free.  "How did you get out?" he asked astonished.

"I helped them get out," the voice responded. 

This time, the voice seemed to come from every direction.  Everyone looked around, but there appeared to be no one.

"Is that you Red?" Bianca asked.

"Yes Bianca," the voice responded.

"But where are you?" Sparx asked.

Sparx, Spyro, Hunter, Bianca and Gildas were so focused on knowing where Red was, that they didn't see the Sorcerer approaching Spyro from behind.  A scream turned their attention.  They saw a large hole in the left wall.

"I wouldn't try that again if I were you," Red said in the direction o fthe hole.  When he saw the Sorcerer's intentions, he quickly used the Banish spell.  'My powers really are stronger.  I didn't think that the Sorcerer would actually go flying through the wall.  The strange thing is that I think I only used a very small amount of power to do that,' he secretly added.  He was right.  He blasted the Sorcerer through the wall without even being close to breaking a sweat.

"Try what again?" Spyro asked.

"The Sorcerer attempted to take you from behind," Red responded.

'How did Red get so powerful so quickly?  He was nowhere near as powerful as I was earlier,' the Sorcerer thought before getting back up.  He ended up not only going clean through the wall but also fifty yards away from it.  He reappeared inside the castle.  "You won today Red.  But you won't be so lucky next time," he said before disappearing.

It was only then that Red came out of his invisibility.  He was still next to the cage that now disappeared as well.  He saw the shocked expressions on the others faces.  "Are you guys all right?" he asked.

"Yes we are.  Thanks to you," Gildas responded.

"How did you do that though?" Hunter asked, still very amazed.

"I was able to link with the amulet.  That enhanced my powers, as well as giving me new powers and abilities.  As you just witnessed, invisibility is one of my many new powers," Red responded.

"I'll say.  He blasted the Sorcerer right through the wall," Sparx said.

"It's a good thing that Spryo went with you Red.  Otherwise, the Sorcerer would've had him by now," Hunter said.

"I know," Red said.

"So what happens now?" Gildas asked.

"The others and I will have to go someplace else.  I really don't want you to be involved in this uncle," Spyro responded.

Gildas nodded in understanding.  "Well, I guess I can get to work on repairing my house," he said.

"So, where are we going to go?" Hunter asked.

"I have a place in mind.  I can sense that Misteria is close by so I won't say where the place is.  Spyro, Sparx, you'll know the place when we arrive," Red responded.

The others nodded.  Spyro used his tail to touch Red's leg.  Sparx landed on Spyro's head.  Bianca held Red's hand while Hunter held her free hand.

"Is everyone ready?" Red asked.

The others nodded before Red teleported.  When they appeared at the destination, Spyro and Sparx smiled.  This was their second favorite place in the Dragon World next to Dragon Shores.  Hunter and Bianca looked around in awe.

"This place is beautiful," Bianca said.

"Yeah, but what is this place?" Hunter asked.

"We're in Lofty Castle.  This is one of my and Sparx's favorite places.  When the Gnorcs left, it returned to one of the most peaceful places you can go to in the Dragon World," Spyro responded.

"It is indeed a very peaceful place," an approaching voice said.

Spyro turned to see Mudada coming, the others also turning toward Mudada.  He smiled and said, "Hi there."

"Hi there yourself," Mudada said smiling.  Then he gasped in shock upon seeing Red.  "Is that you cousin?" he asked.

Red smiled and said, "Yes Mudada, it's me."

Mudada came up to and hugged Red.  "When you turned evil, I was afraid that I would never see you again," he said.

Red returned the hug.  "I will never be that way again.  Spyro helped me realize just how foolish I was," he said.

"Don't forget about us cousin Red," two voices said.

Red and Mudada parted.  Red turned to see Useni and Baruti approaching.

"We've also hoped for the best," Useni said.

"Our wish has apparently come true," Baruti added before he and Useni did a group hug with Red.

"It looks like our trip here is turning into a bit of a family reunion," Bianca said smiling.

"It sure is," Sparx said smiling.

"I honestly didn't think that we'd run into you guys so soon," Red said, parting from the group hug.

"Well surprise then," Mudada said.

"And who might these two be?" Baruti said upon seeing Hunter and Bianca.

"Useni, Baruti, Mudada, these are our friends Hunter and Bianca.  Hunter is the cheetah, and Bianca is the rabbit," Spyro responded.

"Well then, we'll show them around," Useni said.

"That will be great.  I can't wait to see the ins and outs of this place," Bianca said.



And that's the end of this chapter.  Remember what happened with Red's amulet in chapters 1 and 3?  Well now you know the reason why it reacted.  Now that the new ally has been revealed, and that she and Red are now completely linked to one another, things are slowly starting to look up for our heroes.  Moving right along, preview for Chapter 5: Confrontations:  Spyro, Red and friends are spending the day in the beautiful Lofty Castle.  Elsewhere, a battle for supremacy rages as the Sorcerer and Misteria fight to prove who is the strongest.  Who will win this battle?  And will there be something else here?  Stay tuned to find out.


Well, I've been working for three weeks now.  I'm a Temp employee with Volt in Downtown LA.  My hours are from 9am-5:30pm M-F, and I don't get home until about 6-6:30.  I go to bed at 10pm Sunday truough Thursday because I want to have a really good night's sleep before heading out to work at about 8am because it can take at least half an hour for me to get there.  With those three things, I really want to just relax when I get home.  I have still worked on my stories in my spare time.  I actually have this story completely finished.  Hopefully, I'll have this next chapter up by tomorrow or Sunday.