Star Wars - Series Fan Fiction / Halo - Series Fan Fiction ❯ Master Chief vs. General Grievous ❯ One on One ( Chapter 9 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

 
Chapter 9:
 
One on One
 
 
`Jemomee flared his mandibles at the intruder and raised his plasma rifle, but one of Grievous's light sabers sliced through the air with a whiz and sliced the weapon in half. The Elite stumbled back in surprise by the attack.
 
“No my friend…he is mine.” Grievous growled as he and the Master Chief readied for their third battle. He smiled under his mask. “You know Master Chief…not many of my enemies escape so many times like you.” John forced a chuckle.
 
“I didn't `run away' last time Grievous, I won.” The cyborg's golden eyes glared and he leaped through the, spinning head over toe, until he landed with a thud in front of the Spartan. Hoping to get him by surprise, Grievous simply swiped a light saber through the air, only to have it blocked by the Master Chief's weapon. A little shocked by the very good block and timing, Grievous shuddered, but quickly regained his terrifying glare.
 
“Hmm…I do admire your skill with weapons you do not know of, and your determination to fight me, and not run away.” He chuckled. “You knew I would find you, then kill you.”
 
“No…I just wanted to finish…” He grunted as he readied an attack, still in his blocking formation. “THIS!” He boomed and threw his light saber out, causing Grievous to be shot back by the blow. His clawed feet skidding across the tile, the Covenant general slowly came to a halt.
 
“Soldiers, what are you waiting for? Aid the general!” `Jemomee barked at the Grunts, Jackals, Brutes, and fellow Elites in the room.
 
The Master Chief actually felt nervous when he witnessed as dozens of Grunts and Jackals, as well as a handful of Elites and Brutes, raise their weapons at him.
 
“NO!” Grievous boomed, his metallic voice echoing off the walls of the Covenant base. His spread his two arms out, a light saber in each one. “He is mine, and mine alone.” And with that, the cyborg lunged forward with amazing speed, almost being s blur, and with his sabers, formed an `X' shape, but was blocked by the Master Chief. Blue and green sparks flew all about from the strike, and the two great fighters struggled in an attempt to bring the other down.
 
The Spartan jumped away, and in a twirl, tried a swinging slice at the general, but with the hum of one of his light sabers, Grievous blocked the attack.
 
“I shall kill you…and take my time with it…” He muttered.
 
“Stop talking about it…and do it.” The Master Chief growled back. Grievous's gold eyes narrowed as he jumped into the air and latched onto a large crack in the wall with his feet. His held his precious trophies up and turned them off, then putting them back into his cape.
 
“Grievous what are you doing?” `Jemomee muttered from the crowd. The cyborg slowly slipped his cloak off and landed onto the ground, gently placing the cape on the ground, before standing to his full height, revealing his frightening figure once more. The Master Chief stayed in a fighting stance with his light saber.
 
“How would you like to make things a little more…interesting?” Grievous asked. John's head raised a bit, intrigued. “How about a little hand-to-hand battle” He made a sinister chuckle. “My speed, versus your strength?”
 
“What are you trying…?” The Master Chief started.
 
“I'm not trying anything. I'm just want my victory to be all the sweeter.”
 
“Man this guy's conceited.” Cortana replied in John's helmet. The cyborg held his hands out, his robotic, skinny fingers extended and grabbing thin air.
 
“What do you say…old friend?”
 
“Don't do it.” Cortana warned. The Master Chief, however, did believe in Grievous's words, as in he wouldn't use any weapons, just speed and agility, and he turned off the light saber.
 
“Now, put it on the floor. I can't trust you in case you pull it out during our battle.” Grievous said. John sighed, and dropped the tube onto the floor, which landed with a clink of metal. The Spartan raised his fists in another fighting stance. The general reflected off of the Master Chief's golden visor and the Spartan reflected off of Grievous's burning eyes. Tilting his head, Grievous held his hand out toward the Master Chief and curled them in. “You are as good as mine!” He snarled before jumping onto the wall, and much like a swift spider, crawling up the wall and glaring down on the Master Chief.
 
“Chief, try to shake him down. Otherwise he'll probably jump down on us.” Cortana said. The Master Chief nodded, ran to the wall, and with all the strength his could muster in his hand, punched the concrete, cracking it. He looked up and saw Grievous wasn't affected in the least, but he was interested.
 
“Hmm…this may be much more interesting than I had hoped.” He said. The cyborg smiled behind his mask as his arms separated.
 
“Move!” Cortana ordered. Running backwards, the Master Chief stopped when he thought he was safe from Grievous's pounce attack. He however, was mistaken, for the general bounded from the wall and came straight for the Spartan. Lower arms extended for the powerful blow while his upper arms were ready to pummel and attack. He however, was also in for a surprise, for as he came within range, he fell prey to the Master Chief's awesomely quickly reflexes and witnessed as his opponent's armored hands grabbed his wrist, and swung him around. Crashing through Covenant spectators who didn't dare interrupt this spectacular fight, Grievous's vision was blurry as all he heard were surprised shouts and howls from Jackals, Grunts and Elites.
 
Without so much as a grunt, the Master Chief released Grievous's wrist and hurled the cyborg toward the wall he cracked with his fist. Cracking the wall even more, as well as the top of his skull helmet, Grievous felt pure pain for the first time in his confrontations with the Master Chief. Letting out a howl of agony and pain, Grievous pushed himself up against the wall and stumbled several times and regaining his blurry vision until he came back into full focus.
 
“Wow…good shot.” Cortana said. Reaching up and touching the crack in his helmet and quite sure his brain was visible now, Grievous shot the Master Chief not an angry glare, nor a look that told him that he would kill him for what he did, instead, it was a look of mere shock, surprise, and respect. No human the general had ever faced him in such a manner with such honor, determination, and skill. A human with a blaster stood no chance against him, few could hold a fight in a light saber battle, but the idea of hand-to-hand battles with a human, when he himself is a cyborg whose skill cannot be matched by others, simply astonished General Grievous, and deep down, somewhere in the black hole he called a heart, he felt a deep respect for him. With respect, came the desire to conquer him, which he was too sure he could do.
 
 
“Here Sir, rest.” `Letomee said as he motioned `Hetamee to the bed in his cabin. “You need it.” `Hetamee, too confused with his images of himself as the Arbiter and the Master Chief, didn't reply except for an aggressive shake of the head. Suddenly the sliding door opened, with two grey-armored Elites, followed by Tartarus. `Letomee and `Hetamee spun on their hoofed feet to face them. “What is the meaning of this Tartarus?” `Letomee asked.
 
“There's the traitor. Take him.” Tartarus ordered. The two Elites seized `Hetamee and walked him outside, leaving the Brute and Elite.
 
“What is the meaning of this?!” `Letomee asked again. The Brute grunted.
 
“'Hetamee has committed the crime of assault on another Covenant, and for his failures on Halo 04.”
 
“Failures?! `Hetamee didn't even take a step on Halo 04 soil!” `Letomee exclaimed. Tartarus chuckled to himself and crossed his arms.
 
“Yes, but the Prophets do not know this do they?” He unfolded his arms and walked out of the exit, pausing at the middle of the door. He turned, revealing a plasma pistol and shoving it into the Elite's face. “And you aren't going to tell the Prophets, are you?” Wanting to kill the Brute right then and there, `Letomee's eyes narrowed and his mandibles closed tightly, keeping in his desire to shout at him.
 
“No.” Tartarus grinned.
 
“Good Elite.” He growled, placed the plasma pistol back onto his belt and leaving the scarlet-armored Elite alone in the room.
 
 
Throwing a punch at the Master Chief, Grievous also didn't know of the Spartan's agility in the armor, and missed. As his head turned to his opponent on his long neck, Grievous was given a mighty blow by the Master Chief, straight in the forehead. Stumbling back, the cyborg lost balance and cried out when he landed on the floor with a boom.
 
“Okay…so hand-to-hand might've not been the best choice.” He looked up as the Master Chief hovered over him.
 
“Now this will end.” He growled from behind his emotionless helmet. Thinking quickly, Grievous swung his clawed foot around and threw the Master Chief's feet from out from under him. Jumping to his feet, General Grievous acted quickly as he rammed his clawed foot into the Master Chief's body while he was down and sent the Spartan flying through the air until he smashed into the wall. Covenant cheered and applauded the general as he stood a little higher, proud of his quick strike.
 
“Will it?” The cyborg asked amusingly. The Master Chief quickly pounced to his feet to face Grievous again, when a scarlet-armored Elite dashed in, breaking up the fight by running up to Grievous and talking to him. The Master Chief was surprised when he heard the Elite speak English.
 
“General Grievous, `Hetamee has been arrested by Tartarus's forces.” `Letomee said.
 
“Come on, we can handle him another time.” Cortana said. The Master Chief nodded, despite his lust to destroy Grievous, and made a run for the way he entered Grievous's turf. Grievous, now distracted by `Letomee's new, felt his eyes grow wide with shock.
 
“What? When did this happen? And why?” The cyborg asked. Just as `Letomee opened his mandibles to explain, a plasma grenade flew through the air and attached itself to the Elite's back. “'LETOMEE!” Grievous boomed as he turned the Elite around and tried to pull the grenade off his friend's back, but to no avail. `Jemomee turned and witnessed a Brute assassin disappear into the shadows.
 
“Traitor!” He cried and unsheathed his plasma sword. With massive strides, the Elite dashed up the stairs, taking three to four stairs at a time, and chasing down the Brute assassin who ensured `Letomee's death.
 
“Grievous, wait…” `Letomee started when the plasma grenade ignited and the two were blown in separated directions. Grievous was thrown into the wall again, hit in the head again, much more painful this time, and `Letomee, who lay dead on the ground, Covenant troops surrounding his smoldering body. The general acted quickly to jump to his feet and make his way as quickly as he could to his fallen comrade, a limp in his right leg now. Covenant made room for the general to go through, and Grievous stared down on `Letomee, his yellow eyes still open and showed with pain, his mandibles were still open as well, revealing his mouth, and the skin and armor around the grenade explosion were black and smoldering. Grievous sighed, and waved to a pair of Elites.
 
“Take his body, let him rest.” His head hung, Grievous hated to see comrades go, as well as friends, and he looked up. “Master Chief, don't think that the death of a friend will slow me down…” He said, turned, and made his way for the exit that the Spartan took to escape. Grievous knew the Master Chief would return to his ship, and escape, but he wasn't going to let this happen…not at all…