Starcraft Fan Fiction ❯ Interstellar Explorers ❯ Frευdiαη Sliρs vs Iητεητiσηαl Θηεs ( Chapter 4 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

My chapters seem to be getting slightly longer each time, and I guess that's okay... but I'm a little OCD about stuff like that! Le sigh.

~ Frευdiαη Sliρs vs Iητεητiσηαl Θηεs ~

The Education Dome was the second largest of the bubble segments on the Exodus CZ17. Inside it were multiple blocks in an open metropolis structure divided by the subjects taught in each of the classrooms. The teachers' private quarters were also located here, as well as offices and other facilities. Milo climbed the stairs of a red brick building and pushed open the door to his Sociology class. The teacher, Ms Emerson contentedly wrote on the display board while the class leaned against their desks and talked loudly. She had frizzy auburn hair and was almost in her forties, she was a good teacher but a little spacey. Milo watched the board auto-correct her messy writing into a clear format as he moved by and then past the rows of tables until he was near the back. Plopping his bag down he dropped onto the seat next to Amelia, a girl with short honey-brown hair that was tied up in a pony-tail today.

"Evidently by some implementation your mind has failed to dictate the necessity of an adequate retirement."

"What?"

"Or more probable a fiery fledgling resisted one of nature's most fundamental calls, to which I must pity it for being disposed to the whims of such a fastidious host."

"You may have noticed but I'm not in the mood to play this game right now. I got my ass handed to me in Combatives and my eyes are aching, I'm just going to get through this day then get some sleep. And I'm not a fledgling!"

"While engaging in conversations with your sleep-addled brain would surely facilitate studying your idiosyncratic responses by procuring a Freudian slip, likely in the form of a faux pas I will refrain from the temptation of studying you at such a vulnerable moment, if you wish."

"Errrrrrr" Milo leaned forward and gripped his head.

"Okay, I'm done. Let's here do study and stop smart talk. Or is cavemen the wrong colloquial? Would you rather I twirl my hair as I gossip about shoes and boys? That might be the vernacular you were looking for."

Milo stared up at her smug smile, blue eyes twinkling mischievously.

"Now that I'd pay to see. Although I should remind you knowing more words than most people doesn't make you smarter than them."

"I agree, being more intelligent than the common yeoman is what makes me more intelligent. Although it helps to know words and where to put them."

"What are we learning today?" Milo pulled out his workbook and started flicking through the pages.

"We are still focussing on our Philosophy module and today's lesson is studying reason, or so says the omniscient criteria guide."

Ms Emerson was floundering about, having seemingly misplaced something. It seemed they might have a few more minutes before the lesson actually starts.

"I only picked this class because it sounded like a bludge, and it pretty much is."

"I doubt you'd be succeeding without my wise council that you are so eager to depend on in times of need. It must be fulfilling to know you have a proficient friend in each of your subjects, allowing you to sail your way complacently through mediocre grades."

"I should warn you the set amount of time I put aside for dealing with snarky girls and their sarcastic bullshit is at an all-time low today."

"Duly noted. It seems my morning has been doomed to the company of sullen comrades who can't spare a moment of appreciation towards advanced wit."

"Who was sullen with you period one?"

"Lauren was, but after her fruitless endeavour of soliciting the affections of our cyborg affiliate it is understandable."

"You're speaking too fast for me right now." Milo responded while rubbing his eyes. "This has something to do with Juno?"

"Juno told Lauren she is not interested in women, in that respect."

"Wow poor Lauren can't catch a break. I mean, I can see why she'd think Juno was a lesbian like her, even given that we dated for years."

"An arbitrary assumption."

"Can you believe I didn't notice that Lauren and Paige dated for a bit?"

"Yes. You are remarkably unobservant."

"It happened right under my nose! Were they keeping it a secret or something?"

"No. Neither of them were very mushy. I hope the news didn't hit you too hard."

"Well, Paige told me she's not a lesbian so I still have a chance. She might be... bisexual then?"

"Conceivably. It's not my way to disclose information unless I'm sure it's open knowledge. That's why I'm so good at keeping secrets."

"Well that's why the only people who know I have a thing for Paige are Elliot and you."

"I know about your crush on Paige because unlike you I am observant, and you are a fascinating creature to analyse."

"Creepy."

"But returning to what I was saying," Amelia leaned back in her chair and rested her hands on the desk "Paige doesn't know how you feel about her, and you're not privy to how she feels about you."

"I'm pretty sure that even if she did want to date me or whatever you wouldn't make it easier by telling each of us? Even if it was in both of our best interests?"

"And there's the Freudian slip I was looking for."

"Huh?"

"How much of your interest in dating is due to your restrained sexual frustration?"

"Amelia. Just answer my question."

"I'm not a matchmaker." she closed her eyes briefly with a sigh "I'm a secret keeper. When you observe as much as I have there is little option other than to keep quiet to prevent the risk of upheaval in our group."

"Our group?" Milo asked. "I always got the feeling the six of you were only tolerating me all these years."

"I'm not sure if you're joking." she spoke with a smile.

Ms Emerson stepped forward to address the class, in her hand she held her missing textbook with a triumphant grin on her face.

"Alright class! Please take your seats!" the students made their way to their desks and sat down. "Before we begin I would like to say two things. Firstly, I have just finished marking the results for the latest exam done by my Neurology class and Amelia here has scored 98%! The highest result in that test ever scored by a student of the MCA! Well done!"

Amelia sat a little straighter in her chair and Milo couldn't help mumbling "You smug little show-off."

"Now today's lesson we will be studying reason. If you flick through your textbooks to page 89, you will find a quote from Socrates describing-"

"Ms Emerson!" A girl from the front row put her hand up. "You didn't tell us the second thing you would like to say to us."

Ms Emerson stared at the girl for a moment before realisation struck.

"Yes! That's right, I just needed to remind any of you that didn't already know: after first lunch there will be an assembly, so instead of going to Period 3 you will go straight to the quadrangle. Now as I was saying..." Ms Emerson began writing down information while Milo flicked over the pages of his textbook lazily. Most of the classes didn't use paper-based books anymore, but in keeping with the tradition of the ancient subject we were all handed out these books for the module. Sleep kept building in his eyes but Milo fought to maintain his attention.

"Reason is the birthright of every human being. It is the faculty of mind that is used to know what is true and right. There are various levels of reason, sometimes we use it for the good of ourselves, or our friends, or our society, even for all of humanity and the universe as well! Sometimes when we act without mindfulness it is because we are behaving through a persona of ideas that have been built through conditioning, we act this out and often respond to things emotionally as opposed to reasonably. The ultimate end of reason is unity between all peoples..." Milo looked around at the other students, all of them were writing notes down and Amelia beside him was no exception. Milo dragged his pen across the paper, he got half-way through his first sentence when the ink stopped. Why couldn't they use holo-pads like in every other class? Writing wasn't a skill anyone really needed anymore anyway.

Sighing he leaned forward and rubbed his temples. Milo was sure the assembly would have something to do with reaching their target multiple stellar system. It would be pretty cool to actually see a black hole with his own eyes. Maybe they were finally going to be assigned their crew lists. After a half-hearted attempt at writing down notes with Amelia's borrowed pen, Milo resigned himself to the fact he would need to rely on her 'wise council' and copy from her book during lunch. The class ended with a group discussion and the students filed out of the room, chatting again and anticipating lunch. Some thanked Ms Emerson on their way out and she smiled at them while gathering her things.

"I won't be eating with you guys this lunch." Milo reported to Amelia and they stopped outside the room. "I'm going to the robotics lab to watch Paige upgrade Juno's arm."

"The grizzly operations of our mechanic comrade do have their charm." Amelia held out her notebook "be sure to return this upon our next meet, fledgling."

His grateful smile came out as a grimace as he took the offering. She gave another smug grin and was off. Turning away Milo stashed the book in his bag and took the stairs closest to the exit tunnel. Two trolley trips and a short walk later and Milo was inside the Study Dome. Elliot was lounged on one of the sofas and Milo made his way towards him.

"Hey Elli,"

"Don't call me that."

"What about this assembly after lunch? I hope it doesn't get in the way of Period 4, I have Gadgetry with Paige. But if it's really important who knows how long it'll go for?"

Elliot sat forward, typically after showering he'd fixed his hair into ordered spikes. Milo noticed that he looked bothered by something.

"Did you..." he began slowly "tell anyone about my- interests?"

"What?"

"Have you told anyone I'm gay?"

"Ah," Milo blinked. "Well..." Elliot's expression darkened and it made him panic "I mentioned something to Paige!" Milo blurted. "It was only cause she likes talking about the people we know, and since I thought you were getting close to her and the two of you got along I thought she already knew, cause you probably told her or something. I didn't even say anything directly. I made one vague comment and she guessed it immediately so I thought you must have told her or-"

"Oh my god, dude. Shut up, it's okay." Elliot slapped a hand to his face. "It's just... I don't know why you had to tell Paige of all people."

"But... you like her don't you?"

"I do. It's just she tends to blab about things she shouldn't."

"No way!" Milo found righteous anger within. "I told Paige it was something you didn't want a lot of people knowing. There's no way she would have gone spreading it around!"

"It's not like I really care," Elliot retorted. "It's not like I'm going to lie if someone asks me, it's just that it's none of anyone's business. I don't give a shit what people think. But Nolan was following me around all day hitting on me, so I head-butted him in the face."

"Nolan?" Milo tried recalling the name for a bit. "The small gay kid? Elliot, he's crippled and sickly! He can't even walk down a school block without getting exhausted. I'm pretty sure he's late to all his classes!"

"Yeah, well he's becoming a pain in my ass. Oh look at that, speak of the devil."

Milo turned around expecting to see Nolan, instead Paige basically skipped over to them happily.

"Hello guys!" she stopped and Elliot got onto his feet. "Is Juno here yet?"

"Ah," Milo began awkwardly. "I don't think so."

"No," Elliot stated.

"Well I told her where to meet us, so we might as well head into the lab. I'll leave it unlocked."

"Did you tell anyone that I'm gay?" Elliot started. Paige looked at him in surprise and fixed her circular glasses. Then she thought.

"I told Sayuri you weren't interested in girls." she spoke matter-of-factly.

"Why?" Elliot asked with an intensity that was putting Milo on edge.

"She was developing a crush on you. It seemed like the right thing to do."

"What? Did she run out of boys in all her classes to mack on?"

"Good grief, Elliot. That was uncalled for." he crossed his arms as she continued "For someone who always puts on the persona of not giving a shit, you're awfully sensitive about this topic."

Milo quickly stepped in "Let's just forget about this and go get things ready for when Juno gets here." he offered carefully.

"An excellent suggestion, Milo." Paige turned towards the stairs at that moment and Milo looked at the hardness in Elliot's steel-coloured eyes that hadn't dissipated.

"Let's go," he grumbled and followed her. Milo moved after them both.

Yes, I knew each of the six girls before I even started writing! I'm choosing to reveal the characters slowly however so as not to create a complex clusterfuck.