StarFox Fan Fiction ❯ Fire and Ice ❯ Chapter VI: A Fresh Start ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
"It's been a long time, Panther," the silver dragoness mumured, taking a sip from her mug. It wasn't normal Cornerian coffee, of that Panther was certain as he also took a drink from his own glass.
"Yes it has," he replied. "This time, perhaps would you be so kind as to provide me with a name with which I can properly address you?"
"Y'irel Adhoní would be just fine," she said with a smirk, "but if you must know my name, I am called Arellinn," the dragoness finished, placing her hands behind her back and leaning back in her chair.
"Very well. Arellinn," Panther murmured. "I must apologize. Fay and Miyu have--escaped my grasp, and now are under the care of the mercenary team Starfox."
Arellinn frowned. "This could be problematic--" she murmured. "How much does this Starfox team know about psions and elementals?"
Panther shrugged. "I have absolutely no idea. My relations with the team had been strictly limited to the encounter in the courtroom with Fox's father, James. He didn't give any indication that he knew the girls were elementals."
"Well, if they truly know nothng of the legend, then they will not give the girls any added protection. It should be a simple matter to snatch them out from under their noses." Arellinn's eyes suddenly acquired a strange glow. "I have been defeated once. I will not be vanquished again!" she growled softly. "This time, bring the girls directly to me. I see now that the only way to properly deal with this matter is to--dispose of them." She laughed, then turned to face Panther. "Soon, all of Lylat will be under my rule!" Arellinn suddenly became very quiet and smiled gently at Panther. "And, we can finally have peace."
Panther frowned. He was with Arellinn on this, he wanted to get paid. But it couldn't be clearer that the dragoness was unstable. Now, he'd have to be doubly on his guard if he wanted to make it out of this alive. "May I take my leave of you, ma'am?" Panther asked.
Arellinn nodded, airily waving her hand. "Oh. Yes. You may go."
Panther bowed, mumbled a thank you, then scuttled out of the room. As if on cue, a small device he had had in his pocket began to beep. He waited until he was sure he was out of earshot of the dragoness before opening it. "What do you want?" he demanded tersely. "I told you that I would call you! You almost got me caught!"
"S-s-sorry--sir," a distinctly reptilian voice replied from the speaker of the communicator. "I just wanted to say that everything is going according to plan....please don't hurt me, sir...."
Panther smirked. "You've done well, Sllith. When the great Lord Andross returns, I'm sure he will...reward you."
Panther could almost feel the excitement in the lizard's voice. "Oh, thank you, sir! Thank you!"
Panther clicked off the communicator, chuckling to himself. "Such a simpleton," he said. He walked through the corridors of Arellinn's ship to the hangar, then climbed into his fighter, and jetted out of the hangar bay, returning to his own cruiser, several light-years away. 'Arellinn wants these two girls destroyed, but I think, after seeing their powers firsthand,' Panther thought, rubbing his cheek absently, 'I think that the great Lord Andross may have a use for them.'
________________________________________________________________ _______

Fox walked out of the interview room, whistling a tune to himself. 'I think that these girls will make a nice addition to the team,' Fox thought. 'They're skilled pilots, and seem to have a strong team dynamic. Even with what happened to them, they're not letting that get them down.'
As Fox stepped into the lounge, Falco cornered him, asking him how the interviews went. "Who did you pick?" he asked.
"Easy, Falco, easy," Fox laughed, holding up his hands.
"I just want to know if you've picked anyone that I would know," Falco continued.
Slippy laughed. "You mean like--Katt Monroe?" he prodded.
"Watch it, Slip-up," Falco warned.
"Now, boys--" Peppy admonished, chuckling to himself.
Fox laughed. It was good to be back to a little normalcy after a long day of interviews. "To answer your question, Falco, no, I don't think these two are anyone you know," Fox said.
Falco tilted his head. "Well, then, Foxie, don't rush to tell us, or anything," he chided.
Fox grinned. "Their names are Fay Spaniel and Miyu Lynx."
Peppy nearly choked on his coffee, his face paling. "What?" he spluttered.
Fox raised an eyebrow. "You seemed to be all right with the fact that I might be considering hiring them a few days ago when I ran over the list with you," he said.
Peppy sighed, taking off his glasses and rubbing his eyes. "It's not that I disapprove of them, Fox, it's just...we don't really know what happened to those girls a decade ago. Your father knew something was fishy in the judgment call of O'Hara, that's about it. Isn't there anybody else?"
Fox shook his head. "Everybody else either was practically drooling about being able to be two meters away from me, or were soley concerned about what they would get out of the deal. Fay and Miyu seem to have a really strong team dynamic--don't say it, Falco--" Fox warned as Falco opened his beak, then shut it with a surprised snap.
"I wasn't going to say anything," Falco pouted, crossing his arms and looking away.
"Anyway," Fox continued, "I've reviewed their profiles, and they honestly look like the best candidates for the job."
Peppy gave another long sigh, then looked at Fox. "I trust your judgement, Fox, but if we do decide to take these two girls onto the team, you know that we'll be in for a lot of heat from a lot of fronts. Pepper and the media will give us no quarter."
Fox frowned, his brows furrowing. "What's Pepper's problem with Fay and Miyu, anyway? I've never pegged him as sexist."
Peppy shook his head. "He's not. That's one thing I know for sure."
Falco tapped Fox on the shoulder. "Would someone mind filling me and Slip in? We're totally lost right now," the blue bird said.
Fox smiled. "Sorry, guys, I forgot that you hadn't joined the team when all of this was going on. About ten years ago, these two girls, Miyu and Fay, had been accused of the attempted murder of businessman Panther Caluroso of Zoness. Somehow, Panther's face had been brutally scorched, and that was where the charges came in. Miyu claimed it was self-defense for the attacks and the attempted rape of her and Fay," Fox said, and Falco gave a slight shudder. "The judge, however, simply dismissed all of that. Dad tried to get him to see sense, but got thrown out. All of that was really odd, because Matthew, the judge, and Dad were good friends up until Dad was killed. Matthew ruled that the two girls should be placed in foster care until they hit 18, then they'd be legal adults and free to do as they wished."
Falco frowned, deep in thought, something that was somewhat of a rarity for him. "You're right, Fox. I wasn't there, but I can tell. Something just doesn't add up."
Slippy nodded. "I agree."
"Now on to the main point of me finding all of you," Fox said. "I may be captain of this team, but that doesn't mean I act autonomously..." Falco raised a hand, and Fox laughed. "Look it up later, Fal," he said, then continued. "I want to know if you approve of my choice." He pulled the folder from under his arm and set it on a table, beckoning his teammates to come around the table. He opened the folder, showing the Academy files of the two girls.
Peppy hummed thoughtfully, then nodded. "Their marks seem to be quite good, even among this year's class."
Slippy looked over at Peppy. "Yeah, I noticed the same thing."
"Do we get to see any pictures before we hire these two?" Falco asked, a smirk on his face.
Fox lowered his head slightly and looked at Falco with a raised eyebrow and a slight smirk. "Now, Falco, we're not hiring these two just because of looks....Besides...what would Katt think?"
Falco turned bright red and began spluttering. "I--uh...I mean...well she..."
Fox laughed. "Easy, birdie. I'm just givin' you crap." He looked up, so he could see all three of his team. "So the consensus is that these two join the team?" Fox looked around and watched with a smile as Peppy nodded, Slippy grinned, and Falco flashed his characteristic thumbs-up. Fox grinned. Things were working out just fine.