Suikoden Fan Fiction ❯ Fate's Atonement ❯ The Letter ( Chapter 2 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Disclaimer: Suikoden and its characters belong to their respected companies (Konami and such) and no money was made in the production of this Fanfiction.

GENSO SUIKODEN: Fate's Atonements

By: Kouken_Sasarai

Editors: Meiko-chan and Firejdl

Chapter Two: The Letter

Coronet was a small quiet town by Dunan Lake. It was a fishing town. Nothing much really happened around these parts, since Scarlet was in its peaceful era. Akia had not slept all night as she felt anxiety building up inside of her. Lady Kaeri had left her daughter's well being in Akia's hands after all. And a woman of that caliber was someone Akia would never want to fail. She had always watched over the mother and daughter ever since Luca Blight had sent them from Kyaro. Before that, she had watched Kaeri's back the moment she had joined to help the Harmonian Army, just when the War of Chaos was about to end. Back then, the Highland had sent her and a fairly large army to support Holy Harmonia on their battle against the Country of Lorrianne. This, of course, strengthened the ties between Holy Harmonia and Highland since Highland was just a newly developed country that was once part of Harmonia. That tie only lasted after Highland fell about 2 years ago when a boy named Riou led an army of a few thousand men against it.

Akia sat silently by the window, watching the town's streets fill up with the townsfolk, carrying fishing gear and small baskets. It was too early for children to be up since the sun hadn't even risen. She had starting cleaning and packing their belongings since they plan to leave for Kuskus Town as soon as possible. She turned to look at the sleeping figure on one of the beds in the room. Sarasa had been a deep sleeper lately. Nothing could ever wake her. She usually woke up by herself within an hour or so, though she had an 'internal clock' that Lady Kaeri claimed she lacked. But Lady Kaeri claimed that she lacked a lot… a whole lot. She was a bit oblivious about things around her at times. It made everyone wonder how she was successful with helping Harmonia achieve victory in the War of Chaos.

"How long do you plan to stand there?" Akia asked in a hushed tone.

A figure wearing a black cloak emerged from the shadows at the corner of the room, turning towards Akia's direction. The stranger lowered the hood of their cloak, revealing their pale skin and white hair to the light. The stranger's eyes were blindfolded by a black cloth tied around over their young, feminine face and uncanny chin length of silver hair.

"For how long do you plan to follow us?"

The stranger did not answer, but merely faced her in silence. The stranger was in fact a woman. Even Sarasa had figured out that before Akia had and that girl was usually correct with her judgment on random and unimportant things, such as guessing a person's gender. The woman's name was Kagura. At least that's what she said when Akia refused to let her into Lady Kaeri's residence without introducing herself or stating her purpose. That was the first time and the last time this Kagura of the hidden ninja village of the Toran Republic had to say. Akia didn't feel any danger around Kagura. The stranger's presence made her relaxed. It disturbed Akia a lot. She couldn't risk putting her guard down at any moment, mostly when she was traveling in enemy lands with Lady Kaeri's daughter.

Sarasa stirred in her sleep and slowly sat up on her bed.

"W-Wha…" Sarasa mumbled while rubbing her eyes, "W-What's going on…?"

Akia quickly walked to the girl's side, stealing a glance at where Kagura was, but only to find her gone.

"It's nothing." Akia replied only to notice Sarasa looking at her wide awake.

"It's nothing." Akia repeated reassuringly, smiling slightly at her young mistress as she noticed the look of worry forming on the young girl's face, "You should get ready as soon as possible so you can get something to eat before we leave."

Akia walked back to the window and opened it completely, letting some of the cool breeze from the lake and pale morning light into the room. Sarasa threw the covers to the side and quickly stood up, placing her feet on the cold wooden floor.

"Did you get much sleep, Ms. Akia?" Sarasa asked as she stretched her arms into the air.

"… Yes." The older girl murmured as she continued to put away some of the belongings which Sarasa had forgotten to return to their packs last night.

***

The next boat to Kuskus town didn't arrive until a quarter past noon. The sun was starting to get intense, almost like how the weather was when they were in Muse, only about twice as worse. Sarasa had become quite dark, much different to her usual fair skin when they left Harmonia. Akia, of course, remained pale as ever. Sarasa assumes that it's the rune's doing as well. Akia also becomes rather irritable in sunny days. She says it bothers her a lot. It must be the result of staying indoors most of your life. Then again, this is the very same person who claims that "anything THAT happy does not deserve to live."

It took a bit of time to get to the other side of the lake and arrive at the port of Kuskus town. The wind was weak and it took them about 2 hours to get across. Akia stepped onto the deck, and then offered her hand to her young companion. Sarasa had been silent ever since they got out of the inn. It was bothering Akia a bit. Sarasa looked at her hand and took it almost reluctantly. The trip through the town was a silent one as well. Neither of them said a word, not even Sarasa's usual perkiness and curiosity getting the best of her was present.

Akia watched the girl at the corner of her eye in wonder. Sarasa was the one who suggested they take the scenic route on going to Kaiho Castle since it wasn't everyday that they were in the country of Scarlet. Akia turned to her companion suddenly, startling the girl in the process. She was about to speak and ask her what was wrong, but then changed her mind. Sadly, she already had a vague idea.

---

"Ms. Akia. May I have a word with you?" a familiar voice called from behind Akia as she was about to exit the temple.

She turned to the owner of the voice impatiently.

"What now…" she muttered abruptly.

To her surprise, she did not encounter Sasarai's usual greeting with that smile that bothered her. He was looking moderately serious.

"Concerning your departure tomorrow with Lady Sarasa…"

Akia turned to him completely. He knew already.

"I've already asked the High Bishop for permission and for Deios to take care of everything in my absence, if that's what you're talking about."

"No." he shook his head, "It concerns Sarasa. And I'd prefer that we talk in private"

He had won her attention completely. She nodded and followed him back into the temple silently. They both ordered everyone in the main room to leave so they could talk in silence. When it was clear, Akia sat down on the steps of the platform in the middle of the room and watched Sasarai as he stood silently on the platform, looking at the entrance to make sure that no one was there. He finally noticed Akia staring at him.

"Sorry." He apologized, "It's just that I promised Sarasa not to tell anyone about this."

"Then why are you telling me?" Akia sighed.

"Because I know I can trust you, and that you can prevent it." Sasarai bluntly replied.

Akia looked at him silently. He wasn't just moderately serious. He was dead serious.

"What are you talking about?" she was now feeling uneasy.

She never liked dealing with things that concerned Lady Kaeri's daughter. The child was way too smart and a little bit too happy for Akia's taste. She didn't exactly have the skill to interact with people in general.

"Did you see the letter from Lady Kaeri?" Sasarai asked intently.

"No. I've always kept myself from anything that concerns something between Lady Kaeri and Lady Sarasa. I thought it was best to."

"Well… She showed me the letter from Lady Kaeri. There were two of them. One for Sarasa and one for you, actually…" Sasarai said and took out a piece of paper from his sleeve, "I still have it if you want to see it."

Akia looked at him with a frown.

"There's a letter for me?" She got up from the floor as Sasarai walked to her, and then took the letter from his grasp.

She immediately unfolded it and read its contents.

"Sarasa's intention for wanting to go to Scarlet is atonement." Sasarai continued, "She came to me with that letter to ask me for advice. I took it from her, but I told her I'd keep it from you."

My dearest friend,

It has already been so long since we have last talked. I ask your forgiveness for not writing any sooner. Sadly, I have not much time to write this second letter, so I shall get right to the point. My daughter will want your assistance to travel in the new country of Scarlet. Please agree to accompany her since I fear for her safety. She will decide what to do herself. Please trust her and let her do what she believes is correct. When she has completed what she had meant to do, I shall meet with you. It's time that I break the burden I have brought onto you.

Sincerely,

Kaeri Blight

Akia's eyes settled on the last few words of the letter, followed by the signature of its writer. Her eyes softened as pity over-whelmed her.

"'The burden that I have brought onto you'…" she thought solemnly and closed her eyes.

"Akia…?" Sasarai called.

Akia turned to him, smiling slightly.

"I will follow what my lady asks." She simply replied, "I will let Sarasa do as she wishes."

"I knew you would say that…" Sasarai muttered, looking even more troubled.

"You've taken care of Sarasa yourself. You should trust her then." Akia started as she walked to the exit of the room.

"I do." Sasarai replied and followed her, "I care. That's why I'm worried."

Without another word to her comrade in arms, she exited the room and out of the temple with doubt and unease looming over her mind.

***

They arrived at Kaiho castle late in the night. Sarasa's pace had held them back and their encounters with wild beasts in the open plains of the southern continent did not quite help with shortening their travel time. By the time they got there, Sarasa looked quite exhausted. It wasn't wise to ask to see the head of the Castle just yet. So, Akia decided to check them in to the Castle's inn.

Dinner was silent and either one of them didn't eat much at all. Akia was too busy thinking of what was bothering the younger girl before her, while Sarasa was… well… Who knew? After dinner, Sarasa went straight up to their room. Akia on the other hand, took this as an opportunity to look about Kaiho castle, and see the master while her companion retired for the night. She wandered into the castle's main hall, hoping to meet someone who would be familiar to the place. She walked toward the stairs, only to see something familiar standing in between the 2 sets of steps. It was a pair of stone tablets with various names carved into it. She touched the tablet's cold surface, tracing the deep incisions made on it. She read the names her fingers passed by carefully, only stopping when she reached the name under the first tablet, second column… second row, the Tenkan Star of the 108 Stars of Destiny. She grimaced slightly at the thought.

The one who carries this title carries the same burden she does. This person is the bearer of the True Wind Rune, the cursed child who escaped the High Bishop of Harmonia. Also known as Sasarai's brother. She had met him a few times before. The first time she had met him was when she had first arrived at the Circle Temple to meet with the High Bishop. Other times were during her stay at the temple. And then, the last she has seen him was when she was escorting a former Bishop to speak with a seer and also the keeper of the Gate Rune; a woman called Leknaat. She was about 12 when she met Leknaat and the boy. The boy was about the same age as she was, though she looked older than him. Apparently, he was being educated by the seer, just as the Bishop she was traveling with was educating her about the changes in the world since she was trapped within her crystal prison. When they met each other again at Magician's Isle, the boy had tested them in his own accord. He was rather moody and had a sarcastic air to him. But, Akia was drawn to him. A familiar feeling emitted from the boy, something she felt most of the time as she existed within Harmonian walls. She empathized with him and that was rare for a person of her being.

She turned suddenly as she felt a set of eyes peering at her. Strange enough, the hall was empty. Only the shadows created by the moonlight that shone through the windows of the structure danced upon their place, and the wind was the only sound that could be heard as it whispered into the room.

(To be continued…)