Suikoden Fan Fiction ❯ Love's Just a Form of Insanity ❯ Chapter 9 ( Chapter 9 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Rating: PG
Pairings: Lily/OC, Watari/Fred.
_________________________________________________________________ _______
 
Chapter 9
 
Lily paced around the room, teeth clenched, waiting for her imminent doom to emerge. The den was nicely furnished, displaying Tinto's power and glory to it's fullest extent. Fine artwork lined the shelves, much of it lined with inlays of gold and silver. The room had a rough, yet cozy quality that was the hallmark of fashion in her homeland. Because Tinto was such a valuable ally to the Fire bringer, it had been decided that it would be appropriate to have a place where Tinto emmarisaries could more easily conduct their own business between the grasslands and Zexen.
 
Normally, Lily would be acting as queen of the place, confidant in her authority. Instead, she was busy trying to wear a hole into the floor. “How dare he make a lady wait!?” She stopped her pacing and walked over to one of the windows, throwing it open in frustration. She closed her eyes and sighed, feeling the wind beating against her face. As she leaned out the window a bit, she didn't hear the door open as another person entered and started creeping up behind her.
_________________________________________________________________ _______
 
Now if Koruko was anything, he was loyal, as most dogs were. He was drawn to most people, whatever their race and it took something particularly base to scare him. And unfortunately he had found it in the form of the strange winger from Dunan.
 
The poor canine had been minding his business, trying to find Watari, when the winger had started trying to, well kill his shadow. The pup had started to run and had yet to find a safe haven. No one adored him enough to confront a scary mad man apparently.
 
“Hehehehe. I'm going to get you my pretty and your little… Um… Flea collar!!” Landis cackled as he flew after the pup, going just slow enough to allow Koruko to think he had some chance of escape. As their game progressed and sped through the halls, they both thought they heard a woman's shrill scream.
_________________________________________________________________ _______
 
The moment she felt the ice cold hand on the back of her neck, Lily shrieked, turned around and shoved the intruder back. And when she saw who it was, she gaped like a fish, and then started sputtering. “Roan! You, you, you little pissanat!” She now glared sourly at the young man who was now doubled over laughing.
 
After a few minutes, he straightened up, wiping tears from his eyes. “You haven't changed at all, Lily Pendragon. Not at all. Still the same loud mouthed brat from before.” She tried really hard to resist hitting the boy before her, who at six feet was much, much taller then she remembered. And also very, very skinny.
 
“You look like a bean pole, Roan du Lac.” The other's eyes instantly darkened, making them seem like a darker shade of blue. He stalked up closer to her and leaned over her.
 
You still look like a foul-tempered tomboy.” They glared death at one another for a few more minutes before Lily smirked at him and reached up as best as she could and started to ruffle the rather messy mass of brown hair on his head. “What are you doing?”
 
She squinted as if looking for something. “I see your hair is still as terrible as always. You need to learn how to brush it properly.” He shoved her hand away in annoyance.
 
“You know why I'm here. So let's get it over with.” They glared at each other, meeting each other's gaze even though they were far from level with one another.
 
She clenched her fists and plastered a smile on her face. “Yes, out with it then.”
 
/ I hate these formalities. /
 
The young man closed his eyes and took a deep breath before coming out with it. “The house of du Lac offers it's services to Tinto in it's time of need.” He wiped his brow, looking aggravated by the formality.
 
Lily stiffened, taking on the same air of formality for a moment. “Then we, as a representative of Tinto, humbly accept.” They both nodded and then their shoulder's slumped, both looking relieved.
 
“I can only thank the runes that I am not becoming an emperor. The additional aggravation of having you for a wife would not be worth it.” He was now wearing a dorky smile, which didn't disappear when Lily struck him. “So, I assume there's a party in my honor.”
 
She scowled at him, arms crossed. “Not officially in your honor. More like a moral booster. But, yes there is to be a party conviently timed for your arrival.”
 
“Good, then I shall anticipate getting my feet stepped on by you.” He chuckled as he left the room, causing her to fume. She calmed herself down after a few minutes and then hurried down the hallways.
 
/ Where's that blasted ninja when I need him?/
_________________________________________________________________ _______
 
“Where is he? Blast him!” Fred muttered to himself as he searched through the castle for the second time. Most people would have told him it was futile. In fact, when he had ran into Futch and had told the dragon knight who he was searching for, he had been told with a patronizing smile that a ninja could only be found if they wanted to be found.
 
/ Rubbish! Nothing is impossible. Not even finding a ninja./
 
By now, some of his aggravation had dissipated and he was left thinking about what he could say without looking like a fool, and well nothing really came to mind. In fact, he found himself stopping as he began to think more deeply on the situation.
 
/The way I am acting must look bad. People must be taking it out of context. Which they shouldn't. I'm not jealous, I'm just annoyed. Anyone in their right mind would be. /
 
Of course, anyone in their right mind probably would have wanted to forget about the embarrassing incident entirely. But, the option had never occurred to Fred, and wasn't about to make it's self known now. It was at this moment of non-realization that he finally decided to try the dungeons, putting his hand on the hilt of his sword, and swallowed slightly.
 
/ It is only a dungeon. Nothing more. Warriors brave them all the time./
_________________________________________________________________ _______
 
Watari had heard the scream of Lily Pendragon and had decided to leave, least she start bellowing for him. Unfortunately, maybe it was because of the stress, but the ninja did something he had never done before and would vow never to do again. He tripped. Over something furry and barking. He slowly sat up and saw Koruku, who was nuzzling against him and occasionally growling at something.
 
The ninja cursed as he stood up, wanting to strangle the mutt, but decided to err on the side of caution and glanced at what the dog was looking at. And when he saw what it was, he had to fight off a wave of disgust. “…” He scowled at the smirking winger, also secretly hoping Ayame was around since the two never seemed far apart these days.
 
“kekeke. Little ninja boy and his doggie reunited again, eh? How sweet.” Landis grinned as he lazily twirled his scythe in the air. Watari stood up and turned around, only to find that the winger had gotten in front of him. “What's your hurry? I thought we could talk.” The Winger grinned as he slapped a grimy hand on the ninja's shoulder.
 
Watari shoved the hand off prepared to go, if for no other reason then because he had a whimpering, cowering dog hiding behind his legs. “Ayame isn't here.” Watari pushed past the winger or rather tried to, only to find Landis in his way yet again. He reached back to pull out his sword and slaughter the demon, but was stopped by what Landis said next.
 
“So tell me, how do you know Mike?”
_________________________________________________________________ _______
 
To Be Continued…
 
I'm soooo sorry I took so long! Please forgive me! *bows* I've been so horribly distracted! And I'm sorry it's short. I promise that I'll be updating a little more regularly from now on. At least I hope…
 
Also, as for Roan's surname du Lac, anyone familiar with Arthurian legend would recognize it as the surname of Lancelot. I though since Lily's surname Pendragon was Arthur's, well you get the idea.