Suikoden Fan Fiction ❯ Love's Just a Form of Insanity ❯ Chapter 16 ( Chapter 16 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 16

Roan had started to pace around a bit, hands behind his back as he started his tale. "It was during the Higheast rebellion, or as we called it, the Highland liberation movement about three years ago. Despite the reports to the contrary with in the Dunan, there had been a great deal of unrest. The officials that had been installed were no better than greedy merchants who favored Dunan's interests over that of Highland. Yet, what were the people to do or say at the time? Dunan had imposed numerous economic sanctions after the Unification war and economic progress was needed.

Of course, those whose land was confiscated for the purposes of the state soon began to sing a different tune. No one did anything understand, except grumble. That was until she came back."

"She?" Fred looked at him quizzically.

"Supposedly Jillia Blight, former princess of Highland."

"But, she'd disappeared shortly before La' Renouille fell." Fred remembered all of his Grandfather's stories by heart. He'd always especially paid attention to any mention of princesses, for while he didn’t wish to marry, princesses and princes had always seemed wonderfully heroic somehow, as if they held all the greatness of the world within their very beings.

"Well, that doesn't mean she was gone forever. And besides, I only said, supposedly. We do not know if it really was her or perhaps a daughter. Either way, Harmonia sent her and Albert Silverburg to Highland, in disguise of course. Only true believers were allowed to know of her."

"And you were a true believer?" Landis scowled at him, the winger's look saying that he couldn't care less about the story since it was Roan telling it.

"Yes and no. I was born in Dunan, but I had been raised in Highland and came to regard it as my home. From an early age, I had felt that it wasn't right that such a proud land and people should fall just because of Prince Luca's madness. But, our tale isn't about me, it's about Watari.

In Highland, a group of Ninja's called the Black Wind live. They are as powerful as the ninjas of Rokkaku and even more mysterious. They're loyalty is to their own clan and the rulers of the land. As a whole though, their loyalty is cheap and easily sold, so it was no matter to them who they followed.

Princess Jillia and Lord Albert knew that they would have to buy their loyalty if they were to win the war. The problem was, the ninjas wanted too much and refused to help at first. Then something mysterious happened." Roan scratched his head.

"They were attacked, their clan leader killed by a mysterious masked man. Apparently, this man was an agent of Dunan and killed the leader as a way to punish the black wind for hiding their dealings with the traitors. Needless to say, they were upset and easily joined out side."

In awe, but able to keep his composure, Fred nodded. "And then began the Plague Upon the Earls."

"The what?" Landis looked at them both like they were speaking a foreign tongue.

Fred rolled his eyes, and then looked to Roan, who nodded. "The plague upon the earls was the mass assassinations of many government officials and wealthy merchants currently in power. It shook Highland and Dunan to its very core and many people thought the fighting that would result would be as bad as the previous war.

It was during that time that Harmonia announced it's intentions to take back Highland as it's people wished. No one save for a few patriotic geezers were fooled. We all know that they wanted back their vassal state. Or maybe, they would even go as far as to make everyone their slaves. At the time though, those with in the rebellion were more than willing to go with it. They marched into Highland and set up camp. Things were going well until the black wind unexpectedly betrayed us. Turned out the Dunan Army had better money and the new leadership had it's fill of revenge. There was only one ninja who remained loyal to the cause."

"Watari." Fred whispered to himself, not really surprised, yet still feeling strangely ashamed that there would have been a time that the ninja wouldn't have been his first answer.

"Quite astute. I don’t know why he chose to stay on a sinking ship, though I think it had something to do with the supposed Miss Blight." Roan shrugged in a way that indicated how poor an idea he believed it was. "In the end it didn't matter, because we lost and he was driven out by his own."

Apparently no longer able to hold it in, Landis decided to break in with his own questions. "What about you boy, and Ayame? What was that vial you gave her? Why are you here if you were such a loyalist-"

"Woah, woah my fine winger, one thing at a time." Landis didn't seem pleased about being called fine, but merely folded his arms and waited. "First off, Ayame really was just another ninja during the war and she was Watari's superior you could say. She was the one my cell reported to. I was the deputy in that cell and the one in charge of helping with the assignations." Seeing the look on Fred's face, Roan shrugged. "Don't look at me like that. They needed someone who knew the nobles in the area personally and who would know their routine and wouldn't be suspicious. Other than being really tall and apparently annoying, I'm not terribly noticeable." The look on Fred's face didn't change, but he chose not to say anything further.

As for Landis, he was still obviously not satisfied with Roan's answer. "And the vial?"

"Antidote to poison, in case of accidents."

"Yours?" The winger was now skeptical. "But wasn't that a ninja's job?"

"The ninja's made us keep the antidote, so that we could better trust them. So we'd have less reason to worry about them using their own poison against us."

"If it's yours, why does she have it?" Once again, Landis was barely concealing his jealousy. Fred had to admit that if the winger had any virtue it was that he was open with his emotions.

Picking up on Landis's jealous, a mischievous look crossed Roan's face. "I gave it to her, so that she would have no reason to fear me. Plus, I kinda wanted to impress her back then." There was a wink there and Landis readied his scythe.

"You…"

Ignoring Landis and not as concerned about Roan, Fred took a deep breath, feeling the weight on his shoulders increasing. "So, you mean him no harm?" He gave Roan a hard look, letting him know that Fred would brook no lies.

"None. I was worried about him when he disappeared in the last battle, but thems the breaks." Roan looked Fred over suddenly, as if he had suddenly realized something important. "So, you care about this, why?"

The knight felt his face flush and struggled to regain his composure. "That's…" After a few minutes, Roan clapped a friendly hand on his shoulder.

"Well, just watch it. Watari's delicate. Not much personality, but what is there isn't stable exactly."

Delicate wasn't the word Fred would use to describe it, but maybe Roan was correct. After all, he might know what he was talking about as a former comrade of the ninja's. "So, that's why he would be worried." Suddenly, Fred knew what he would have to do and how badly it would look, but it was the only honorable thing to do. "Well, in that case, I shall go check on him. Good day." Fred bowed and left, hurrying to find Watari.

Roan watched Fred run off, eyes narrowed. "Hmmmmmm, is he…." The boy looked to Landis to say it instead though and the winger was more than happy to comply."

"Possibly in lust with the damn ninja? Probably, or at least the rumors go that they've been chasing after each other like love sick puppies. I don't care; it keeps that broody bastard Watari away from Ayame." Landis shrugged, before turning towards Roan grimily.

"What are you to Ayame, really?" The look that Landis gave him was one that he normally reserved for rats before he killed them. In fact, if he did kill Roan, he'd probably do the same thing with his corpse.

Raking a hand through his hair, Roan gave Landis a roughish smile. "Honestly, I don't know. I assume unrequited love." He just barely dodged the swing of the scythe.

"Don't trifle with me, human!" Landis was near frothing at the mouth and Roan backed up a little, holding his hands out in a placating gesture.

"It isn't my fault that you can't snag her." The next thing he knew, they were both running, Roan for his life and Landis for vengeance.

_____________________________________________________________ ___________

The few hours of privacy Watari had managed to catch in the storage room had been welcome. He'd have to thank Muto later for letting him in, with out so much as a word. Despite the Kobold's seeming stupidity, he had seemed to have sensed that Watari needed the alone time.

In fact, he was nearly about to doze off on rather comfortable shelf covered in stacks of linen and have what might be a very, very nice nap, one of the first he had allowed himself in a long time, when he heard a loud and familiar clinking noise. Before he could run, he felt a gloved hand grabbing his arm. He looked down at Fred glowering.

Despite that, the knight was looking at him seriously. "I know everything. About what happened in Highland." It was said in such a way, that even though 'everything' was a vague term, that the ninja knew Fred knew a lot more than he should, if not everything. He'd have to butcher Roan for it later.

Watari jerked his hand away and got off the shelf, dusting himself off. "What of it?" He tried to not look at Fred and strove to appear indifferent.

Face red, either from running, embarrassment or both, Fred swallowed. "I just, I guess, I don’t' know what to say…" Watari was almost itching to know what Fred actually thought about him now, but another part of him wanted to remain ignorant.

"It's none of your business."

"Maybe it is." At that, Watari looked him in the eye, now getting annoyed. First this guy wanted nothing to do with and considered him an embarrassment, not he thought he the right to be involved in Watari's affairs?

Perhaps it was some sadistic attempt at revenge. "Why?" Of course Fred wasn't really a sadist, but he still couldn’t hide the tone of distrust in his voice.

"Because, you are one of my comrades and if you care for me as well, then…" There seemed to be a struggle going on within Fred as if he was about to do something really difficult or risky.

Turning away so that he could avoid the look on Fred's face and not get sucked in, Watari clenched his fists. "You don't have to do anything about the way I feel." Which was still true, since the knight would have been frightened just by how intense his feelings were.

"Yes I do." The tone in his voice was resolute and Watari looked back at the knight, regarding him carefully.

"As in?"

"That is…" Not knowing what to do, Fred suddenly kissed him. "I'd like to give you a chance."

_______________________________________________________________ _________

To Be Continued…

Yeah that was fast and before you jump on me for making Fred give in, you'll hear his reasoning next chapter.

 

 

 

 

 

 

&nb sp;