Supernatural Fan Fiction ❯ Death and His Brother ❯ Chapter 2

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: Not mine.
 
Chapter 2
 
Sam gasped as everything went black but cool hands hugged him gently and he held on to the shirt he could feel until he blinked and the world was back, although they were no longer in the panic room.
 
“Dean?” He gasped out and he felt the arms tighten around him.
 
“It's alright Sammy, just take some deep breaths.” Dean murmured in his ear and Sam did as he was told, slowly relaxing. He loosened his grip on Dean's shirt and looked up at him, seeing Dean smiling slightly at him.
“Better?”
 
“Yeah.” Sam answered, still staring into Dean's eyes. They were odd and a bit scary but he could still read Dean like he had always been able to by looking at his eyes. And all he could see was concern and love aimed at him. He fought back tears and managed a watery smile that Dean easily returned before wriggling around so he could look at wherever Dean had taken them. Being held in Dean's lap was a bit embarrassing but also reassuring, it was something Dean had done for him until he'd turned ten and then their Dad had said something to Dean and suddenly he wasn't allowed to sit in his brother's lap or climb into his bed after a nightmare. As if knowing what he was feeling Dean grinned at him and ruffled his hair making Sam laugh.
 
Dean held Sam close, happy to hear him laugh for what felt like the first time in years. He held Sam close, unwilling to let go until he was asked to. He knew that when Sam learnt the truth there was a good chance he'd never get to touch or hold him again so he was going to hold on for as long as he could. If he was still merely human holding Sam in his lap would be very awkward but with the extra strength it was easy. They sat silently for a while, content to just cuddle and enjoy some peaceful time but eventually Sam wriggled again and Dean loosened his grip but was happily surprised when Sam didn't get off his lap, just adjusted his position a bit.
 
“Are you okay Dean? How....your heart's not beating and your skins cold and your eyes.....” Sam trailed off; chewing at his bottom lip and Dean brought a hand up to stop him.
 
“You'll bite through Sammy.” He teased and Sam rolled his eyes but then stared at him and Dean sighed.
“Please don't be scared Sam.” He whispered, burying his face in Sam's hair and Sam hugged him tightly. Sam pulled back after a bit and stared at him before reaching out to touch Dean's face, his fingers lingering near Dean's eye.
“Sam?” Dean questioned and Sam frowned, looking worried.
 
“Your eyes....can you see alright?” Sam asked and Dean let out an internal sigh of relief, Sam wasn't scared of the new look but worried that Dean couldn't see properly. It was amazing to see that Sam still cared so much for him, they'd grown so distant after he'd come back from Hell that he'd never thought they'd have the old closeness again. It had only been in the last few weeks that they'd started to try.
 
“I can see fine Sam, some of its different but I promise no loss of vision.” Dean assured him and Sam nodded, relaxing a little more. Dean hugged Sam again, he needed the contact and while part of him felt a bit freaked out over it the rest loved it. Sam was one of the few he'd be able to touch anymore and he was soaking it up. He figured Bobby would be safe, at least for short periods and maybe even Cas but everyone else was pretty much ruled out which kind of sucked. No more one night stands in his future but for some reason that idea didn't really bother him anymore.
 
“Dean....” Sam started and then trailed off and Dean nodded, it was time to explain.
 
“You believe I'd never hurt you, don't you Sam?” Dean asked quietly and Sam forced eye contact before nodding.
 
“You've always looked after me Dean. Yeah we fight and stuff but I've always known you would never really hurt me. I'm sorry, for making you promise to kill me if I ever slip sides.” The last was a whisper and Dean nodded, knowing Sam knew now that he could never do it. Sam laid his head on Dean's shoulder and Dean smiled, enjoying his cuddly Sam was being. He knew part of it was the shock of the last day or so but he'd enjoy it while it lasted.
 
“So you know no matter what has happened I will never hurt you or let you be hurt if I can stop it.” Dean had to make that absolutely clear and Sam nodded against his shoulder.
“I...I don't know where to start.” He admitted and Sam poked him making him jump slightly.
 
“Beginnings usually good.” Sam told him and Dean nodded, taking a deep breath.
 
“Did you know that the Horseman of Death didn't exist until about...five thousand years ago, give or take a few centuries?” Dean asked and Sam stared at him, curious for information like usual.
 
“No.” Sam answered, mind on what Dean was telling him.
 
“Before that there was simply Death. Then the world started getting really populated so he made himself a helper. But as you've found out angels are jealous bastards so they decided Death and his Horseman had a bit too much power. So they actually worked with hell for once to seal Death away for eternity, leaving only his Horseman who was kept on a leash by hell and the other horsemen.” Dean stopped for a bit to let Sam think that over.
 
“Okay I don't like most of the angels but to do that...now I think they're all pretty much idiots.” Sam muttered and Dean smirked, nodding.
 
“I think a certain horseman shares your feelings. It was thanks to him that a few little loopholes in the seal and a few hundred years later.....I was born.” Dean stopped again, unable to look at Sam but he heard the soft gasp. He tensed, ready for Sam to move away or something but he was shocked when Sam tightened his grip on him instead.
 
“What was so special about your birth?” Sam asked and Dean could hear some fear in Sam's voice and it hurt. He flinched slightly and Sam's eyes went wide even as he stood up and then he was yanking Dean into his lap, cradling the older man close.
“Not scared of you, I could never be scared of you.” Sam whispered and Dean slowly relaxed in Sam's arms, surprised but happy by Sam's quick switch of their positions. He was a little surprised that Sam had realised he'd picked up on his fear.
“Told you, I know you Dean, I can read what you're thinking and you think I'm scared of you but I'm not. I'm scared for you.” Sam told him and Dean could see the honesty in Sam's eyes, relaxing at that.
“Hey you stuck with me through the whole demon blood thing; I'm not going to leave you.” Sam told him and Dean nodded, even though he knew that could change once Sam understood what he was trying to tell him.
 
“Somehow my birth was arranged, not sure exactly how as it was a certain Horseman doing rather sneaky things behind everyone's backs. Ever wonder why reapers seemed to like me? They could feel something odd about me. There were a few contingencies arranged, don't think he expected Lucifer to raise him. Several....beings had a little bit of Death's essence placed within them and so once they met me they were to transfer it, undoing the seal......”
 
“Tell me you're not possessed.” Sam pleaded and Dean shook his head.
 
“Promise. I'm still me Sammy.” Dean rushed to assure him and Sam nodded.
 
“Okay so what did that kiss do?” Sam asked and Dean took a deep breath.
 
“It broke the seal and made me whole again. Sammy I.....” He trailed off, the words sticking in his throat and then Sam's eyes went wide.
 
“Death?” Sam whispered and Dean nodded.
 
“I'm still me, just more.” Dean answered just as quietly.
 
“That's why they all warned me not to touch you.”
 
“Yeah, till I woke up touching me could have killed you. Who warned you?”
 
“Cas and the Horseman....he called me a half-breed.” Sam admitted and Dean frowned. He touched Sam's cheek and reached out with his powers, making Sam shiver slightly.
 
“Sorry.” Dean whispered and Sam nodded.
“Shit.” Dean swore and Sam's eyes went wide.
 
“Dean? What is it? What's wrong with me?” Sam asked and Dean sighed, moving his hand to run it through Sam's hair.
 
“Seems like there's been a bit of a....side effect to your addiction Sammy.” He answered softly and Sam closed his eyes.
 
“How badly have I screwed up?” He asked in defeat and Dean snarled angrily.
 
“You have not screwed up! What happened.....yeah you did some things you shouldn't have but I could have done more to try and help. The bitch went for you when you were vulnerable, that's not your fault. But he was right to a point....you almost read as half demonic. Not quite but it wouldn't take much to push you over.” Dean told him and Sam tried to get him off his lap so he could get up. Dean just wrapped his arms around Sam's neck and made him look at him.
“Sammy I'm Death, do you think it matters to me that you're not exactly human anymore? As long as you're still you I don't care.” Dean told him and Sam stared at him before slowly relaxing again.
 
“I don't want to become a demon.” Sam whispered and Dean nodded.
 
“You won't, I won't let it happen.” Dean promised him and Sam nodded, trusting Dean to keep his word like he always had. Dean felt a flash of guilt for not telling Sam everything he'd found but how could he tell Sam he was going to die before the year was up, no matter whether or not he said yes to Lucifer.
 
TBC...