Supernatural Fan Fiction ❯ Hell's Heir ❯ Chapter 3

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: Not mine.
 
Chapter 3
 
Hey.” Sam called as he walked in to find Dean and Bobby working on the pieces of the Colt.
 
Hey, what's up?” Dean asked as he worked on a piece.
 
I might've found some omens in Ohio -- dry lightning, barometric pressure drop.” Sam told him and Dean rolled his eyes.
 
That's thrilling.” He muttered and Sam smiled slightly.
 
Plus, some guy blows his head off in a church and another goes postal in a hobby shop before the cops take him out. Might be demonic omens.” Sam tried to get Dean interested. Sure they had different reasons for tracking down the escaped demons but they both wanted them found so why wasn't Dean more interested?
 
Or it could just be a suicide and a psycho scrapbooker.” Dean pointed out.
 
Yeah, but it's our best lead since Lincoln.” Sam argued back.
 
Where in Ohio?” Dean finally asked and Sam grinned.
 
Elizabethville -- it's a half-dead factory town in the rust belt.
 
There's gotta be a demon or two in South Beach.” Dean groaned and Sam laughed.
 
Sorry, Hef. Maybe next time. How's it going, Bobby?” Sam asked the hunter, staring at the gun pieces spread around.
 
Slow.” The older hunter answered.
 
Yeah, I'll tell you, it's a little sad seeing the Colt like that.” Dean said and Sam nodded.
 
The only thing it's good for now is figuring out what makes it tick.” Bobby grumbled as he continues working.
 
So, what makes it tick? Sam asked and the raised his hands in surrender as Bobby glared at him.
 
So, if we wanna go check out these omens in Ohio, you think you can have that thing ready by this afternoon?” Dean asked cheekily and Sam snorted with laugh.
 
Well, it won't kill demons by then, but I can promise you it'll kill you.” Bobby ansered and Dean grinned.
 
All right, come on. We're wasting daylight.” Dean said, leaving to get his bag.
 
See ya, Bobby.” Sam said, heading for the door.
 
Hey.” He called and they stopped.
You boys run into anything - anything - you call me.” He told them and they nodded.
 
---------------------------
I thought you said this was some boarded-up factory town.” Dean asked as they walked around.
 
It is. Or, at least it's supposed to be.” Sam answered in confusion at the bustling streets and businesses.
 
Well, what are we waiting for? Let's do some research.” Dean grinned, staring at the women and making Sam feel a flash of jealousy. It wasn't Dean's fault but it still hurt. He did however pull Dean away from the hooker when she tried to tempt him into her car. They finally made it to Trotter's bar and found the place packed.
 
Ooh, Richie, look at you. Bringing satin back.” Dean teased his friend who grinned.
 
Oh, you like this? Try Thai silk - Canal Street. You have to pay three hundred dollars for threads like these, easy. Of course, for me, forget about it.” Richie said.
 
How much is “forget about it”?” Sam asked curiously.
 
Ah, forget about it. That's Trotter over there.
He sits there all night. You can't touch him.
 
So, what do we do now?” Sam asked even as he carefully opened his senses, surprised to find Trotter wasn't possessed.
 
I don't know about you guys, but I'm gonna do a little investigating with that bartender.” Dean answerdd, gesturing to the woman and Richie grinned.
 
Easy. Me and her? We've got a little something-something lined up for later.” Richie told Dean who snorted in disbelief.
 
Yeah, right.
 
It stings, don't it? All right. I've gotta hit the head, release the hostages. Be back in a few.” Richie said as he walked away.
 
No way he gets a girl like that. Look at her. You could fit that ass on a nickel.” Dean grumbled.
 
You think so?” A voice asked and Sam snickered at the way Dean jumped.
 
“Oh. Sorry, Padre.”
 
I knew you boys would find your way here. We all do.” Father Gil commented.
 
No offense, but what are you doing here, Father?” Sam asked.
 
Like it or not, you go where your flock is.
 
Plus, the clergy drinks for free.” The bartender said as she refilled his glass.
 
True. And a certain bartender owes me a confession.
 
Not in this lifetime, Father.” She shot back with a smile.
 
I better see your butt on Sunday. Nickel or no nickel.” He said and then left.
 
What can I get you, boys?” She asked.
 
What's your specialty?” Dean asked, flirting with her.
 
I make a mean hurricane.
 
“I guess we'll see about that.” Dean answered and she smirked as she walked away. Sam scoffed.
 
You drink hurricanes?
 
I do now.” Dean answered. Sam shook his head but then something drew his attention to the other side of the bar where a man had just walked in.
 
Hi, John.” The guy greeted someone already at the bar.
 
Reggie. Everything okay with you?” John asked.
 
I don't know. I'm just not feeling myself today.” Reggie answered and that was when Sam spotted the gun.
 
Hey.” Sam said, getting Dean's attention. They made their way towards the two men but were too late as Reggie raised the gun and John. Dean pinned him before he could shoot himself and Sam doused him with holy water only for him not to react.
 
What are you doing? He slept with my wife. The bastard slept with my wife!” Reggie yelled angrily.
 
Somebody call 911!” Sam called, noticing Trotter staring at him.
 
----------------------------
Cute piece.” A female voice called and Bobby tensed, tightening his grip on the Colt as he looked around. Standing nearby was a blond woman...or demon?
 
Who are you?” he demanded.
 
Won't stop a demon, if that's what you think.” She continued.
 
How the hell would you know?
 
Oh, I don't know…” She blinked and her eyes turned black momentarily.
Call it an educated guess.
 
Well, ain't I lucky, then? I've found a subject for a test fire.” Bobby aimed at her and she laughed.
 
Luck had nothing to do with it. But hey, by all means, take your best shot. Are you gonna stand there like a pantywaist, or are you gonna shoot?!” She asked when he did nothing so he shot her, leaving a hole in her shirt.
 
Ouch. That smarts a little.” She snarked at him.
 
What do you want?” He demanded.
 
Peace on Earth. A new shirt. Now, do you want me to help you out with that gun or not? Hm?” She asked.
 
-------------------------------------------
Looks like the maid's day off.” Dean commented but Casey didn't answer.
Everything okay?” He asked and she kissed him.
 
Make yourself comfortable.” She purred turning away.
 
Oh, I forgot to mention: Richie was a friend of mine.” Dean commented and she turned to face him.
When I realized I could track the GPS in his cell phone, I swung by earlier to give him a proper burial. It's better than rotting in some skank's basement.” Dean snarled and she started running towards him only to stop short and fall backwards onto the fall. Dean smirked and lifted the rug, revealing the Devil's Trap drawn on the floor.
Whoops. Ain't that a buzzkill? Sorry, sister, but you're going back to where you came from.” He pulled out the book where he had the exorcism written and the demon laughed.
 
I don't think so.” She said, closing her eyes. A wind whipped through the cellar, caving in one stone wall and trapping them inside the room. Casey chuckled at that.
 
What are you laughing at, bitch? You're still trapped.” Dean snapped angrily.
 
So are you. Bitch.” She shot back, amused as she watched him light the few candles and then began searching around.
Lose something?
 
All you demons have such smart mouths.” Dean chuckled.
 
It's a gift.
 
Yeah, well, let's see if you're smiling when I send your ass back to hell.” He said, stepping closer.
 
Without your little exorcism book? Okay. Go ahead.” Casey taunted.
 
Spiritus immunde…” Dean started but then trailed off, wishing Sam was there since he had the thing memorised.
 
Having a little trouble there, sport?
 
Spiritus immunde, undolara, pasonitote…” he faltered again and she grinned.
 
Nice try, but I think you just ordered a pizza. Guess you should have paid more attention in Latin class.” She teased and Dean glared.
 
I don't know what you're smiling about. You're not going anywhere.” He said and she shrugged.
 
And apparently, neither are you.
 
Yeah, but I've got somebody coming for me. And he did pay attention in class.” Dean just prayed Sam could find him.
 
Oh, right. Sam. Everyone says he's the brains of the outfit.” Casey smiled wickedly.
 
Everyone?” Dean asked in surprise.
 
Sure. You Winchester boys are famous. Not Lohan famous, but, you know.” She answered.
 
Well, that's…flattering. I'll be sure to let Sam know when he gets here.” Dean said, shaking his head slightly. Casey just smirked.
 
If he shows up first.” That made Dean look at her.
What, you thought I was flying solo? Shouldn't underestimate, Dean. It might be the death of you. You can give me hard eyes all you want, but the fact remains, we just have to wait and see who shows up first: the Cavalry or the Indians? Why don't you relax?
 
Why don't you kiss my ass?” Dean snapped back.
 
Why, Dean, you're a poet. I had no idea. Look, we won't have any effect on the outcome of this. We might as well be civil.” She tried.
 
“Civil, huh? Killing Richie - that was civil? That was harmless?” Dean snarled angrily and she shrugged.
 
That knife you pulled on me didn't look so harmless.
 
Aw, a knife wouldn't hurt you.
 
No, but it would damage this body. And Casey has such a fine body. I wouldn't wanna see it ripped.” She said, running her hands down her sides. Dean laughed, forcing himself to look away, ever since Lust had laid her whammy on him he'd craved sex more than he use to. Not that he was gonna tell anyone that.
 
A demon with a heart. Wow. You know, there's a bunch of dead people in town that might disagree with you.
 
Hey, I didn't pull any triggers.” She argued.
 
Well, you did something.” He shot back and she shrugged again.
 
You wanna know what I did? What I really did? I had lunch.”
 
“Lunch?” Why didn't he believe that?
 
Me and Trotter. He had a cheeseburger, I had a salad, and I just pointed out the money that could be made with a few businesses that cater to harmless vice. So, Trotter built it. And man, did they come. Supposedly God-fearing folk, waist-deep in booze, sex, gambling. I barely lifted a finger.” She explained and Dean just stared at her.
 
That's it?” He asked in disbelief.
 
You don't get it. All you've gotta do is nudge humans in the right direction. Some whiskey here, a hooker there. And they'll walk right into hell with big, fat smiles on their faces. Your kind is corrupt, Dean. Weak. Our will is stronger. That's why we'll win.” She explained calmly.
 
And that's how it ends?” He asked.
 
No. That's how it begins.
 
----------------------------------------
Dean?” Sam called out but there was no response. He made his way through the clutter on the floor, looking around, only to stop when he knocked over a picture frame. He didn't even have to touch the powder to know what it was, sulphur. What was it with Dean and demons? This one had better not have touched Dean or Sam may not just stick to ordering it back to hell.
 
-------------------------------
So, demons take over. I thought the meek shall inherit the Earth.”
 
Well, according to your Bible.” At his look she shrugged.
It's only a book, Dean.
 
Not everyone would agree.
 
Because it's God's book? Do you believe in God, Dean? I'd be surprised if you did.” She taunted.
 
I don't know. I'd like to.” Dean admitted.
 
Well, I don't see how you and your God have done such a bang-up job. War? Genocide? It's only getting worse. I mean, this past century, you people racked up a body count that amazed even us. It's our turn now. And we're gonna do it right this time.” Casey said and then stopped as they both heard a noise. Hopefully Dean approached the window and looked up.
 
Don't be hopeful, Dean. You're not delivered. It's only the wind.
 
-------------------------------------
Bobby, it's Sam. We've got a big problem. I found some sulfur and now I can't find Dean. Call me as soon as you get this.” Sam said to Bobby's answering machine, hoping the older hunter got the message soon. He was worried about Dean. He'd tried tracking him but had come up with nothing.
Hey, excuse me. They weren't there.
 
Well, I guess you've gotta get your jollies another night. Here, why don't you have a drink and relax?” The bartender answered.
 
I don't want to relax. What is it with the people in this town?” Sam yelled.
 
Suit yourself, Princess.” Sam turned from the bar to see Father Gil...or at least the demon using the poor man.
 
Father?” Sam asked.
 
Yes?” The demon asked.
 
Um…can I talk to you for a sec?
 
------------------------------
You know, you're piling pretty high there, sweetheart. I'm not sure I'm buying.” Dean told her.
 
Why would I lie?” Casey asked from where she was sprawled on the floor.
 
“Demons lie.” He answered.
 
Some do. Some are true believers.
 
Believers in what?” Dean asked and she smiled.
 
What, you think humans have an exclusive on higher power?
 
You have a God?” He asked, stunned by that.
 
Sure. His name is Lucifer. Some prefer looking up to his son.” She answered.
 
You mean, the devil?” Dean asked in disbelief.
 
Your word, not ours. Lucifer actually means “light-bringer”. Look it up. Once, he was the most beautiful of all God's angels. But God demanded that he bow down before man, and when he refused, God banished him. Tell me, Dean. How do you like bowing before lesser creatures?” She explained.
 
Lucifer's really real?
 
Well, no one's actually seen him. But they say that he made us into what we are, and they say that he'll return. Some have seen his son but not for years but he too will return one day.”
 
Oh, yeah? And you believe that?” Dean couldn't believe it.
 
I've got faith.” Casey smiled at him.
 
Mm.
 
So, you see? Is my kind really all that different than yours?” She prodded and he glared.
 
Well, except that demons are evil.
 
And humans are such a lovable bunch? Dick Cheney.
 
“He one of yours?” Dean asked in surprise and she shook her head.
 
Not yet. Let's just say he's got a parking spot reserved for him downstairs.” She told him and Dean bit his lip in thought.
 
Hey, speaking of downstairs…what's it like down there?” he asked hesitantly and she looked surprised for a second.
 
What, hell?
 
“Yeah.”
 
That's right. You booked a one-way ticket with that deal. You're not gonna like it, Dean. Judging from the trouble you've caused, I don't think you'll be getting the presidential suite. No, it's a pit of despair. Why do you think we want to come here?
 
----------------------------
So, the bartender the other night, Casey - you know her pretty well?” Sam asked, playing alone with the demon for now.
 
Since she was in pigtails.
 
Well, she and my brother, uh…they left. Together.
 
Ah. Well, not that I approve, but they are consenting adults. I'm sorry, you said “brother”. I thought the two of you were insurance investigators.” The demon said and Sam was tempted to end the charade.
 
Right, right. Well, we are. It's like a family business.
 
Uh-huh.
 
Anyway, so I went to Casey's apartment, and they weren't there. I just have this feeling that they might be in trouble.” Sam continued.
 
What kind of trouble?
 
Just…trouble. Look, please, Father. I need your help. Is there anything you can tell me about Casey? Any place she'd go, maybe?
 
Yes. There is a place. Let me get my jacket.
 
No, wait, Father. I don't wanna put you out. I can do this by myself.” Sam played his part well.
 
Son, if Casey's really in trouble, then there's nothing to talk about.” He turned from Sam, pulling his jacket on and Sam smirked as he saw the Priests eyes flash black in a reflection.
Should we go?
 
------------------------------
Kind of funny, don't you think? You and me sitting here like a couple of regular folk.” Casey pondered.
 
Yeah, it's hilarious. You know, in that apocalyptic sort of way.” Dean replied and she smiled.
 
You're all right, Dean. The others don't describe you that way. But you know, you're likeable.
 
A demon likes me. Sorry, I don't know how to respond to that.
 
“You could say thanks. That deal you made to save Sam? A lot of others would mock you for it, think it was weak or stupid. I don't.” She told him.
 
It's been kind of liberating, actually. I mean, what's the point in worrying about a future when you don't have one, huh?” Dean asked and she looked at him.
 
Still, a year to live. You're not scared?
 
Nah.
 
Not even a little?” She prodded.
 
Of course not.
 
Why, Dean, if I didn't know better, I'd say that was lust in your eyes. Well, that would be one way to spend the time. But I don't think you'd respect me in the morning.” Seh purred when she caught him eyeing her body.
 
That's okay. I mean, hey, I don't really respect you now.” They both smiled at that.
Hey, can I ask you a question?” He asked and she grinned.
 
I'm an open book.” She purred.
 
So, the gate opened. The demon army was let out. What now? I'm not seeing a big honking plan here.” Dean forced himself to focus on words and not her body.
 
Honestly? There was a plan. Azazel was a tyrant. But he held us all together.” She rolled to her side, leaning up on an elbow.
 
“Azazel?”
 
What, you think his friends just called him Yellow Eyes? He had a name. After you did him in, it all fell apart.
 
Sorry about that. So, what, no chain of command?
 
There was. It was Sam. Sam was supposed to be the Grand Poobah and lead the big army, but he hasn't exactly stepped up to the plate, has he?” She asked and Dean smiled.
 
Thank God for that.
 
Again with God. You think this is a good thing? Now, you've got chaos. A war without a front. Hundreds of demons, all jockeying for power, all fighting for the crown, most of them gunning for your brother. For the record, I was ready to follow Sam.” She told him and that was the truth, if she couldn't follow Lucifer or his son, Sam would be okay.
 
Dean!” Sam yelled and Dean went to the window, relieved.
 
Looks like you win.” Casey said, sitting up.
 
Dean!” Sam yelled, knocking on the door. He turned to Father Gil.
Check that way.”
 
“Sam!” Dean yelled and Sam turned, smiling at the sound of his voice.
 
“Dean!” He yelled back, trying to figure out where Dean's voice was coming from.
 
Sammy, down here! The basement caved in!” Dean yelled and Sam saw the window, kneeling down to see Dean staring up at him, smiling in relief.
 
Dean! Hey, hold on, okay? We're coming.” Sam said, stretching out a hand to him, their fingers barely brushing.
 
Who's “we”?” Dean asked, curious.
 
I'm here with the father.” Sam answered and Dean glanced backl at Casey who looked relieved. Sam spotted her and reached out with his mind.
`Leave Dean alone.' He commanded and she stared in shock but nodded when Dean wasn't looking.
 
Sammy, be careful.” Dean warned and Sam nodded, standing up and walking back around the house. He found Father Gil, his eyes black but before Sam could do anything they were both ducking as a bullet smashed into a nearby statue. They turned to see Bobby aiming again but the demon was quicker, sending first Bobby and then Sam flying. The demon went inside as Sam rushed to Bobby's side.
 
Bobby, are you all right? How did you know where we—“ Sam asked but Bobby cut him off.
 
Go. “ He shoved the colt into Sam's hands and he nodded, pausing as he saw another demon watching, a demon he knew.
 
`Protect him Ruby.' He commanded and she looked shocked and then relieved before melting into the shadows.
 
Inside the basement Father Gil easily made his way through the fallen debris and stone, casually tossing Dean aside and approaching Casey.
 
Stop!” She yelled, gesturing to the Trap. Gil raised his fist and smashed it into the ground, breaking the circle. He stepped up to Casey and pulled her into a kiss. She pulled him closer to whiper.
“Don't harm him, he's protected but the Prince.”
 
You two?” Dean asked in shock.
 
For centuries. We've been to hell and back. Literally.” Gil answered.
 
Leave him be.” Casey warned again but he didn't listen, grabbing Dean by the throat.
Don't kill him. Let's just go. Please.” She begged, not wanting to face his anger and yet happy to be proven right, he did exist. She turned to see the Prince in the doorway and then closed her eyes as he fired, instantly killing her companion. He turned the gun on her and she smiled slightly.
`Forgive me, I didn't know my Lord.'
 
“Sam, wait!” Dean yelled, surprising her but Sam fired, apparently killing her instantly. But instead Casey felt his power wrap around her, protecting her and sending her back.
 
------------------------------------
Well, what do you think, Bobby? About what we did here. You think it made a difference?” Dean asked as they walked.
 
Two less demons to worry about. That's not nothing.” Bobby answered.
 
Yeah, but Trotter's still alive.” Dean grumbled and Bobby shot him a look.
 
Humans ain't our job.” He stated and Dean nodded.
 
Yeah, but you think anything's really gonna change? I mean, maybe these people do just wanna really destroy themselves. Maybe it is a losing battle.
 
Is that you or that demon girl talking?” Bobby asked.
 
No, that's me. The demon is dead, and so is that hot girl it was possessing.” Dean answered.
 
Yeah. Had to be done. Sam was saving your life.
 
Yeah, but you didn't see it, Bobby. It was cold.” Dean paused for a second.
Bobby.
 
Yeah?” He answered.
 
Back in Wyoming, there was this moment. Yellow Eyes said something to me.” Dean admitted.
 
What'd he say?” Bobby asked and Dean looked down.
 
That maybe when Sam came back from wherever…maybe he came back different.” He finally answered.
 
Different how?” Bobby asked and Dean shrugged.
 
I don't know, man. Whatever it was, it didn't sound good. You think…you think something's wrong with my brother?” Dean asked, mentally begging Bobby to tell him Sam was fine. That he was still the little brother Dean had always loved and protected.
 
No. Demons lie. I'm sure Sam's okay.” But they could both hear the small amount of doubt in his voice.
 
Yeah. Yeah, me, too.” Dean said.
 
------------------------------------
“Long time no see Ruby.” Sam stated, turning to look at her, his power flaring around him and she knelt.
 
“My Prince.” She whispered reverently.
 
“You helped Bobby with the Colt.” He stated and she nodded.
 
“Did you not want me to?” She asked hesitantly and Sam smiled.
 
“No, we'll need it. But you need to stay out of sight. Spread the word that this was not the plan and they are to return to hell and explain themselves, or else.”
 
“And...me?”
 
“You can stay, I may need your help with something later.”
 
“Then it's true? Dean Winchester is....”
 
“Why do you think I convinced Father to do this?” Sam asked, smirking and she laughed.
 
“I await your orders.” With that she was gone and Sam went back to packing. Yes, he'd need her help if he was to keep Dean in the dark for as long as possible. Ruby had always been good at finding information others wanted kept secret. Soon Dean would be his old self again and Sa would no longer need to hide.
 
TBC...