Supernatural Fan Fiction ❯ We Didn't Start The Fire ❯ Prologue ( Prologue )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

DISCLAIMER: Well, okay, here's the NEW disclaimer, since the last one apparently wasn't good enough. The only thing belonging to me in this story is the plot—and the personality of the evil dude, because they didn't actually give him one.
 
- - - - - - - - - -
 
We didn't start the fire.
It was always burning, since the world's been turning.
We didn't start the fire.
No, we didn't light it, but we tried to fight it.
 
- - - - - - - - - -
 
Sam saw fire. It was everywhere, burning, killing, destroying. It licked at his bare, unprotected skin, but he felt nothing. The flames didn't burn him.
 
They burned his family, instead.
 
A cold smile crossed Sam's face as he watched the blaze slowly consume his father and brother—everything he had left in the world. He made no attempt to save them. It wasn't important—nothing that had ever happened to him was important anymore. Now he had a new life, a new purpose, a new destiny. Power thrummed through him, singing in his blood, making his head swim. Making him feel more alive than he had in years.
 
But Dean and John wouldn't understand how he felt. They couldn't be expected to, really—they had lived life on the straight and narrow, and they couldn't possibly have any idea how it felt to step off that path and change.
 
But their ignorance, while understandable, was nevertheless problematic, since it could prove fatal to Sam. And so, regrettable as it was, there was nothing else for it.
 
They had to die.
 
His smile didn't so much as flicker at the thought—it stayed on his face as, bit by bit, all that tethered him to his old life finally fell away.
 
XXX
 
Samuel Winchester was stuck in a nightmare. That much was obvious from the horror on his face. The demon watched the boy, cool and calculating, waiting. Waiting for his orders.
 
He wasn't concerned that Samuel would wake up, or the other humans. In fact, he doubted that Dean and Johnathan would ever awaken again, though it would be of no consequence if they did. Samuel, though…Samuel was another story, The master had made sure that he would survive, because Samuel was still important.
 
It's time.
 
The demon didn't have to look around to know that the area was still deserted. The voice came from inside his own head.
 
Take him.
 
- - - - - - - - - -
 
We didn't start the fire.
It was always burning, since the world's been turning.
We didn't start the fire.
But when we are gone,
It will still burn on, and on, and on, and on…
 
- - - - - - - - - -
 
AN: It's really, really short, I know, but I just wanted to air the idea. I don't know how soon you should expect an actual chapter, because a book I've been waiting on for over a year now is due to come out in about four days, and once I get it I'm pretty sure that absolutely no writing will be done until I finish it.
 
Also, I'm sorry if this idea has become cliché since Devil's Trap premiered, but I'm writing this by request of a friend, so there's no avoiding it even if I wanted to—which, it must be admitted, I really don't.
 
Now that that's all said, let me remind all you happy people out there that reviews make the world go around!