Sweeney Todd Fan Fiction ❯ Just Another Victim ❯ Just Another Victim ( One-Shot )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Disclaimer: I don't own Sweeney Todd

Dedicated to: This story is for my best friend

Just Another Victim

He was just another customer who came in for a quick shave. He was middle aged and his hair had specs of gray running through it.

Just another victim to become one of Mrs. Lovett’s pies.

There was nothing special about him.

He looked like he was a workingman. Someone who had to scrimp and save just to survive, but that wouldn't save him now. Nothing could save him now.

Or so I thought at the time.

I smeared his face with shaving cream as always, and I started sharpening my razor. I couldn't help but think of my sweet revenge. Wouldn't be long now.

Just as I was going in for the kill, though, the door to the shop opened and in walked a young girl. She had to be around Johanna’s age, with blond hair that immediately reminded me of Lucy. She was wearing an expense blue and white dress and that blond hair was tied into a bun.

“Father,” the girl said cheerfully, smiling at her my customer who for all intents and purposes should have been dead now, and I felt my heart clench.

“I'll be done in a moment, dear,” the man said, looking over and matching her smile with one of his own.

“I'm so sorry for the interruption. I just wanted to thank you for my birthday gift,” the girl said, her hands smoothing her dress.

“You're very welcome, Carla,” the man said warmly, before glancing back up at me. “Sorry for the interruption, Mr. Todd.”

“No need,” I said, finally tearing my gaze away from the girl and regaining my bearings. "No need at all.” And so, rather than killing him, I started shaving the man of his unwanted hair. After a moment I looked back at the girl. “You may sit if you like,” I told her, trying not to show how her presence affected me and pointing toward a chair by the door.

“Thank you, Mr. Todd,” she said politely, sitting down and watching me shave her father.

“All done,” I announced after a moment, stepping back from my customer who had so narrowly avoided death.

“Thank you,” the man said, sitting up and looking toward his daughter, taking in the dress he had bought for her and letting out a small whistle. “Well, now I'll have to beat young man away with a stick! I think you may look too beautiful."

The girl laughed, and you could see how she loved him. “You're too good to me, Father,” she said softly. “This dress must have cost a full weeks pay!"

“Two weeks,” the man whispered so only I could hear but he smiled and to his daughter he said,"Nothing is too good for my baby girl.” Then, turning back to me, he asked, "How much do I owe you, Mr. Todd?"

I looked at him, consider, and after a moment I shrugged. “No charge,” I said finally. “Consider using the money to buy the young lady a hat to match the dress,” I added, looking at the girl, thinking again of how close this man had come to death.

“We couldn't take that, Mr. Todd,” the girl said then, her face sincere. "It wouldn't be right to you."

“No,” I told her. “I insist.”

“Well, if you're sure,” the man said, still somewhat hesitantly. “At least promise you'll come to my shop across town the next time you need new shoes so I can return the favor. Free of charge."

“Thank you,” I said, nodding. “I will.” Not really, of course, but it was what he wanted to hear.

“Have a good day then, Mr. Todd,” the man said, offering his daughter his arm and she smiled again.

“Thank you,” the girl said to me, and they were gone.

I watched as they left, knowing in my heart that in another world those two could have been Johanna and myself. That it should have been Johanna and I.