Tales Of Symphonia Fan Fiction ❯ Run ❯ Chapter 1 - Downhill From Here ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Run is a fanfiction that's been eating my brain for a good while now. I've gotten bunnies for stories like this for a while, but it's within the past months I finally got an idea concrete enough to write this. This is not by any means an amazing piece of writing - at least in my books - but I hope that it entertains you. (Wow, that was cheesy.)
 
I'm going to be posting each chapter once a week (or closest to once a week I can get) until the end. This is all prewritten, minus the latter parts which I will write as I post the first parts. This is technically the first multi-chaptered story that I have been able, and bothered, to work so much on. (Pitiful, I know.)
 
Since I originally started to write this in November of last year, this is... kinda ridiculous. In any case, each chapter begins and ends with my original notes - which will hopefully explain some things that I've left out (if you're curious). Please check out the post on Livejournal - which is hosted at the username boundtobeafraid - for special extras I've worked on, which include skits and chapter art!
 
Anyway, before I begin, I'd like to give out a big thank you to evilhanyou, immelmanturn, and lilichen of Livejournal for taking the time to beta my story. Grammar is not my friend, my vocabulary is horribly weak, and it's always nice to have someone read your work over. Thank you so much. And to my dear friend sakebi for putting up with me babbling about this thing, reading it over, and helping me bounce ideas around. You are awesome. (Oh, and thanks to Snow Patrol for writing the song that made this bunny hit me so hard in the first place.)
 
Anyway, here's my attempt a long, multi-chaptered fanfiction - Run. I hope you enjoy it.
 
-------------------
 
 
Run
 
by tani-chan
 
Chapter One - Downhill From Here
 
Disclaimer: I do not own Tales of Symphonia or anything related to it thereof. Why I would, I have no idea.
 
Genre: Drama/Action/Adventure
 
Rating: PG-13
 
Note: This is a shot at a bunny that's been eating my brain for no particular reason. I've always liked the idea of Zelos going through the Chosen ritual instead, and what that would entail. This is probably by no means a canon take on things, and really just me playing around with a rather odd plot device. *chuckle* Oh, and the title of the fanfiction and chapters comes from the songs of the same name by Snow Patrol, which me listening to them is what really got the bunny rolling. Other than that, I really have no reason for this strange thing.
 
-------------------
 
I only do this cause I love you
And you can make things easier
Downhill From Here
 
-------------------
 
"Colette!" Lloyd screamed over the battle raging behind him. "Kratos! What-"
 
"I am taking the Chosen," was the only response from the angel who stared at him, his eyes cold and hard. Colette was beside him, her eyes dull and lifeless. Her soul was sealed with the Cruxis Crystal.
 
Lloyd felt the rage bubbling up inside him, and he swung his arm to his side, standing in defiance against his onetime ally. "Like hell you are!" He rushed forward, his heart thundering in his chest. Genis and Raine were still handling Remiel, and large explosions and cries were loud behind him.
 
Kratos' eyes narrowed, and his sword was out in a flash, blocking the quick blow from Lloyd. "She will become the new vessel for Martel. You cannot stop this."
 
Lloyd's brows furrowed in anger, and he lashed out against him again. "No!" He eyed the girl behind Kratos, his heart flickering in sudden guilt. It's my fault she's like that...
 
Kratos did not falter, however, and threw Lloyd away with a hard strike and a crackle of lighting from his blade. "You cannot save her this time Lloyd," he said, a light suddenly flashing above him as he and Colette rose upwards. "You cannot protect her from this fate."
 
Lloyd was quickly on his feet, looking upwards helplessly as they slipped away. "No!" he cried out, looking frantically to find a way upwards to reach them. "No! Colette!"
 
Kratos paused, his eyes soft again for a brief moment. "I'm sorry Lloyd." And with that, they disappeared. A large explosion rocked Lloyd, as his eyes widened in shock and horror. She was gone. She was gone.
 
"No!" he sobbed out. "Colette-!"
 
-----------------------------------------------
 
"This is worrisome. The magitechnology had not begun to fail until now."
 
A group of men and priests had gathered in one of the many rooms of the castle, their faces showing the worry and stress that had gathered quickly in the passing years. They spoke almost in hushed tones, as if worried someone or something could hear and everything would be ruined.
 
"True," a man answered, turning to face the priest that had spoken. "Our scientists assure us that the connection to this is due to the Tower of Salvation's disappearance from the land three years past. The mana is leaving us. Tethe'alla has certainly lost the favor of Cruxis..." He sighed, his eyes dull as worry overtook him.
 
"After 800 years of prosperity, it was something that many feared would happen," another man answered, his tone bitter. "We were probably due to lose the mana someday. I'm sure it was amazing we had it this long."
 
"Yes, probably. The few half-elves that have not left their stations tell me that the Desians have returned." The level of tension in the room rose almost instantly. Wary glances were traded as the news sunk in. "It is just like the stories."
 
"Yes," a priest said. He turned, looking at the Pope, seated next to him. "Have we received word that the oracle will descend to us from heaven?"
 
"Yes," the Pope said, his eyes steely. "The Chosen is to make his journey soon. We have only to convince him."
 
-------------------
 
"Honestly, I don't see the whole win in this situation of saving the world for me," Zelos said. The Chosen was obviously annoyed, and while his tone was still playful, his eyes were hard and anything but cheerful.
 
The Pope, sighed, rubbing his temples for what felt like the hundredth time. He had never liked this Chosen - he was nothing like his father. He may have had his own problems but had always followed the will of the church. Zelos was just a problem in every respect, and the Pope would like nothing more than to get rid of this obstacle in his way. The King, of course, would never allow that, but...
 
"You are the Chosen, Zelos Wilder. Your sole purpose is to save our world when our need is dire," he said, staring as said Chosen huffed angrily, almost letting out a whine.
 
"I realize that, I realize that," Zelos said, waving his hand as if to swat the topic away. "Besides my motivation to save our helpless masses, I don't see what would possess me to risk my beautiful body for all of this." He may be the Church's lapdog when it came down to it, but he wasn't going down without a fight. In the end, he knew that the Church would dig up something to twist his arm and make him do it. But if they thought he wasn't going to drag his heels every step of the way, they had another thing coming.
 
Zelos played with one of the many items on the Pope's desk, trying to show his complete lack of care for the current topic. "Anyway, what would all the women think if I suddenly left them to risk my life? I'm sure it would break their hearts to find out. Let alone anyone else who knows me. I have obligations to my fans, you know. And this oracle is coming to the chapel in Flanoir? I have a problem with this-"
 
The Pope seethed quietly, growing more aggravated with each passing minute. He ignored the Chosen's continued babbling, watching him toss the pilfered item idly between his hands. What a fool! If he were in charge, instead of that imbecile of a king, he would have this one executed for such insolence! He racked his brain for something, anything that would get Zelos out the door and on his way without so much as another peep.
 
Then, it suddenly occurred to him. Seles. Yes, yes, that's what he would use! The Chosen would do anything for that useless sister of his. He glowed inwardly, grinning over his victory.
 
"Chosen," he began, keeping his face straight. "Your sister, Seles-"
 
"What about her?" Zelos cut in, snapping back to attention.
 
The Pope grinned a little, satisfied with his reaction. "You do your duty as a Chosen, and I see no need for her continued confinement to the abbey." Zelos was instantly stilled.
 
"You'd- you'd let her out." It wasn't so much a question as a statement. He set the item he had been toying with down on the desk, instantly skeptical of the offer.
 
The Pope just nodded, plucking the item Zelos had just returned out of his reach. "Of course, you would have to complete your regeneration journey, but Seles would be freed. I could even make sure the title and... comforts of the Chosen are allocated to her." The Pope gazed levelly at the boy, who was running this over in his mind. "Do we have an agreement, Chosen? For something other than the helpless masses to ease your mind on your journey?"
 
Zelos was still, then turned to look him in the eye, and cocked a cynical grin. "Sure."
 
The Pope smiled. "Good. You leave in a week."
 
-------------------
 
"Master Zelos, you have a guest," Sebastian called.
 
"Yes, yes, let them in," Zelos said from his position at the table. Sebastian nodded and bowed, moving back towards the door. Zelos had gathered a large amount of items that he would need or wanted on the journey and was sorting through them. A halfway filled pack sat on the sofa nearby, and Zelos had taken to flittering between the table and the sofa as he picked items.
 
"Master Zelos, your guest is a priest from the Church," Sebastian said, bowing and leaving. Zelos just gave a small nod, moving over towards the sofa. The priest cleared his throat, hoping to catch the Chosen's attention. Zelos, however, just waved his hand, motioning the priest that he should speak.
 
"Chosen, as you know, your journey of regeneration shall begin soon," the priest began.
 
"Mmmm," was all Zelos said in response, his attention on the sword he was weighing in his hand.
 
The priest sighed, but kept on. "The Church of Martel is doing all we can to make this easier on you, the Chosen, and we have gathered together some people to assist you." Zelos just nodded again, his hands now digging through the pack.
 
"You will have a group hand selected to join you on this journey," the priest said, watching Zelos pick up items and set them down, placing some in the pack and others back on the sofa in front of him. Zelos didn't really listen to what the priest was saying and just kept nodding silently. This was all jargon anyway, and it was probably just some mind numbingly dull bodyguards they had chosen to accompany him on his doomsday journey.
 
"Other than the woman joining you at the request of Mizuho, you shall have two willing servants of the Church in your group," the priest continued, pulling a list from his sleeve. "Presea Combatir, a young girl who is skilled at the axe, and Regal, a prisoner who has agreed to help you in exchange for a... lesser sentencing."
 
Zelos just nodded again, but paused, suddenly noticing something. "Mizuho?" he asked, curious.
 
"Ah, yes," the priest said, pulling out the paper again to look through it. "A Sheena Fujibayashi has been requested to join you, as a emissary for Mizuho. To show their loyalty to Tethe'alla, they wish to also-" He was cut short though by the Chosen's sudden outburst of laughter.
 
"Sheena? Sheena?" he laughed, almost doubled over. "Ah, perhaps this will not be as bad as I thought!" The priest paused, confused. Zelos just laughed and shook his head, waving his hand to signal the priest to continue. "Ah, it is nothing, nothing. Where is this group to be joining me?"
 
The priest, still a little confused by the Chosen's actions, just nodded once and looked at the paper again. "They are to join you in Flanoir, where the oracle has prophesied his coming to begin and bless your journey in regenerating the world." He stopped, reading over the paper a little more before closing it and sticking it back in his sleeve, a smile on his face. "It is good to know that salvation is soon at hand. We are lucky to have this come so quickly as things have-"
 
Zelos just waved his hand again, interrupting the priest once more. He was back to packing things. "Yes, yes, that sounds good and all," he mumbled, hoping the priest would leave soon.
 
The priest grimaced a little and bowed. "I wish you well on your journey, Chosen," he said, leaving. Sebastian closed the door behind him, and turned back to face his master. "Is there anything else that you want, Master Zelos?"
 
Zelos paused and then shook his head. "No. But, I believe this journey is going to be better than I imagined," he said with grin.
 
Sebastian chuckled. "Very well, Master Zelos."
 
-------------------
 
Flanoir, as per always, was covered in snow, and the snow was falling thick from overhead. In the few times that Zelos had actually even come to this city, he had never seen it in any other state. It was always cold, and always in snow, and always something he disliked greatly. Snow always trudged up bad memories.
 
He sighed and covered his body a bit more from the frigid cold that was quickly seeping into his bones. The Church had allowed him to come by EC to the city, but most of the rest of his journey would probably be by foot. That he was definitely not looking forward to. Other than the times his group would need to cross an ocean, they would be walking outdoors and probably sleeping there, too. They said it was all because the Goddess' journey requires a trial, but he suspected it was because they didn't want him in their hair anymore. That and the current mana shortages probably had something to do with it.
 
Zelos moved quickly through the already crowed streets. Many people had come to see the Chosen off on his journey, and he didn't need a whole gaggle of them crowding around him before he managed to get inside. He did not want to be stuck outside here any longer than he had to.
 
He managed to slip to the church relatively unnoticed and exhaled in relief as he reached it. The priests had blocked off the plaza in front of the chapel, and only one person was standing out in the cold in front of it. A rather shapely, well-developed person. Sheena, he thought and grinned, walking swiftly toward her.
 
"Oh, Sheena-!" he called out, his voice playful and amused.
 
Sheena turned around, her face flushed from the cold. Her expression went from one of mild curiosity to deep disgust though as she caught sight of him. She sighed, almost bracing herself. "Zelos. You're almost late, you know that?"
 
Zelos just laughed cheerily. "Ah, but I made it, didn't I?" he reprimanded, shaking his finger. "Besides, what made you wait out here? Could you not wait to gaze upon my stunning visage again?"
 
"Don't flatter yourself," she ground out. "The chapel is crowded, and I needed a breath of fresh air," she elaborated, looking back towards the door beside her before facing him again. "They're all going crazy looking for you, you know. Half of them think your elemental carriage crashed or something."
 
Zelos chuckled. "I'm not surprised. I'm important, you know."
 
Sheena rolled her eyes. "Sure, I know," she said, moving so they could enter the chapel. "Just get in there before they freak out any longer."
 
Zelos smiled at her, his eyes dancing playfully. "Of course, hunny." Sheena chose not to say anything more.
 
The blast of warmer air from inside of the chapel rushed over them as they entered, and Zelos gave a quick look around before stepping in fully, Sheena close behind him. "Oh! Chosen One! You're here, oh thank Martel you have come!" a priestess said, rushing over to him and causing the whole room to turn.
 
Zelos grinned, in his element. "Ah, yes, sweet hunny, I'm fine, I'm fine," he said, walking over to go join them.
 
Sheena sighed, rubbing her forehead briefly.
 
"I see the Chosen has finally come," a man said, stepping beside her.
 
Sheena looked up, catching notice of who it was. "Oh, Regal. Yes, he finally showed," she said, casting a glance to Zelos, whom had most of the female congregation gathered around him. She glowered, a bubble of anger welling up. "Always like that idiot to be so late."
 
Regal just gave a curt nod, deciding not to touch the subject. Presea was beside him, her blank eyes staring at the gaggle of people around the Chosen. "Oh, Presea, I didn't notice you were there, too," Sheena said, a little startled. Presea merely looked briefly at Sheena and gave a nod, then went right back to look at the crowd.
 
Sheena smiled awkwardly, and then grimaced a little. The girl was rather... strange, to say the least. She hardly ever said a word and had only so far introduced herself, making a few brief comments when spoken to. Regal, on the other hand, was much different from what she had imagined when they told her a prisoner was to join them. He was a gentleman; he had treated them with respect and spoke with an air of dignity, not at all like a prisoner. She would have pegged him for a noble had it not been for the handcuffs he wore.
 
Sheena was only here on request of her village. Why they had picked her to go with Zelos of all people on this soon to be ridiculous journey was beyond her. She could hardly stand the man as it was, and now she had to protect him? She snorted a little in aggravation to herself - this was ridiculous. If the stupid Chosen managed not to kill himself on this journey, she would be amazed.
 
"Your attention, everyone!" the head priest called over the noise of the crowd in the small chapel. Everyone stilled as they turned to face him. "The hour of the oracle's coming is at hand! If I could have the Chosen and his companions please step forward in front of the altar..." he trailed off as the group did as they were told and gathered. The rest of the crowd, which was comprised of mostly priests, priestesses, and a few choice civilians, went towards the back.
 
A window at the top of the chapel over the altar was opened, which let in a breeze of cold air and snowflakes. Sheena shivered a little in the sudden change in temperature. "We have been told that a light will signal the coming of the oracle," the head priest said, shuffling out of the way to show that a crystal had been placed in the middle of the altar on a platter of sorts. "We have placed your Cruxis Crystal here, Chosen One, as we were instructed."
 
Zelos let out a grunt of sorts and looked upwards towards the now open window with a grimace. "Will this take long?"
 
The priest looked a little taken aback by the Chosen's tone. "Well, we have no idea of time of the oracle's com-" He was interrupted by a sudden and bright glare of light that erupted from the Cruxis Crystal that immediately blinded everyone in the room. A few cries of pain and surprise came from the people in the back, and Zelos muttered a few curses under his breath as he covered his eyes.
 
There was a gentle noise, as if the ringing of small bells could be heard from above, and the group looked upwards as the light started to dim. A light was now above them instead, but was still almost as bright. An angel descended from the light, his wings outstretched and fluttering gently as he stopped and hovered just above them.
 
"Chosen One of Tethe'alla, I am Azrael, an angel of judgment from Cruxis."
 
Zelos grimaced. “Great.”
 
-------------------
 
 
Ahaha, sorry to leave it off short there, I suppose. Anyway, that's the start.
 
I realize you don't get to hear the whole jargon that the angel should give when the Chosen arrives to accept their task but... Ah, I don't really care. *is hit* I didn't really feel like starting up another play through to hear all that. And yes, Azrael is the name of the angel because, well, I really had no clue what to name him. So, there you go. :\
 
And I couldn't think of many things that could get Zelos started on this journey other than the promise of Seles being freed. Sure, I'm sure that Zelos would really not like the idea of his world dying and would try to save it, but him actually doing the Chosen ritual would be another thing. He wouldn't willingly or happily do it, that's for sure, in any case. Ah, this will be fun to write...
 
Also, think of this as if the Renegades had never visited Tethe'alla and told them of the existence of Sylvarant. Sheena never was sent to kill Colette, since they never knew of it. And, sadly, Lloyd failed in saving Colette from Cruxis taking her at the end of their regeneration journey. This is set around three years after that, and pretty much just runs on a lot of ifs. *sweat*
 
Anyway, I hope you enjoy this. :D I'm going to try my hardest to write all of this and really get this multi-chaptered idea going. *chuckle*
 
-tani-chan