Teen Titans Fan Fiction ❯ A New Hope ❯ Powers and Onlookers ( Chapter 9 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

AN: Oh, hey, just to let you readers know- the story is slowly coming to a painful end, but that hopefully won't be for quite a few chapters. So, in case you have any questions about this series, I'm hoping to wrap up loose ends for you guys as a bonus after the final chapter. If you have any certain ones that you have now, wait and see how the story unfolds. You can either write the questions in your reviews, or message my AIM or something. I'll stop rambling now and get to the story.
 
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
 
Later that night
 
It was midnight, but Craven couldn't sleep. The boy Marie came home with seemed somehow familiar, from the look he got at him. He looked oddly like someone he'd seen before, but he couldn't remember where exactly. Angel slept peacefully beside him, having stayed the night at the Tower. He propped his head up with his arms and looked around his room. Dark eeriness stared right back at him. He turned over and tried to find sleep.
 
Sleep wouldn't come.
 
Tomorrow Marie was taking the test to prove what she'd learned through the years. As he'd watched her grow into a young woman, he noticed her powers growing; possibly she could someday be better than he was. With his powers and Angel's quick reflexes, it was very possible.
 
*~*~*~~*~*~*
 
Morning
 
Marie awoke to Fire opening the curtains in her room. He turned and smiled cheerily as her eyes grew accustomed to the light, blinking a few times before focusing on him.
 
“Today's the big day, Marie. Show us what you're made of!”
 
She looked at him, red hair in a mess from sleeping, her pajamas wrinkled and bed worn.
 
“Um…right, BG wants you to know breakfast is almost ready. And because it's a special day, she promised no tofu. Now, if you don't mind, I have to go awaken the others.”
 
He turned and left her to get ready.
 
After the door shut, she slowly got out of bed. Thinking of the night before, she remembered Johnny leaving her, Nathan giving her a ride home, and possibly hitting on her. He had given her his phone number, and she had to call him. Today.
 
About going out. Tonight.
 
Marie picked out a random black shirt and blue jeans, put them on, and joined the others in the living room.
 
“Aw yeah, real eggs and bacon for once!”
 
Cybergirl looked pleased when Beastgirl set the steaming plate down in front of her. She grabbed her glass of milk and tasted it.
 
“Real milk, too! Yes.”
 
Craven was sitting on the couch, reading the paper. Angel was sitting next to Cy and Robin, eating. BG stood at the stove cooking, making weird faces.
 
“Okay, guys, why's the vegetarian cooking the eggs and meat?”
 
“Payback.” Cybergirl said in between gulps and everyone laughed.
 
Angel looked up and smiled, having noticed Marie's entrance.
 
“Hey mom, everyone. What's up?”
 
A collective good morning came from around the table as they noticed her also.
 
“Beastgirl, that sure does smell good.”
 
The comment was a compliment, but the others laughed again.
 
“Yeah, sure, everybody's a comedian.”
 
Marie sat down next to Robin and BG brought over a plate for her.
 
“Thanks.”
 
 
“Welcome.”
 
*~*~*
 
After they were all done eating and dressed (as some weren't at breakfast), the group headed outside to the training course.
 
Craven and Angel stood back to watch with BG and Cy while Fire and Robin started up the course.
 
“All right kid, show us what you can do.”
 
The countdown began.
 
“5…4…3…2… 1…GO!”
 
A few yards ahead of her, red laser beams coming from the rocks charge up and fire at her. She immediately flies into the air and fires purple/violet spurs of energy at them, causing miniature explosions in the air.
 
As she flew through the dust created by the explosions, the stone fists jutted out of the ground just ahead of her and she dodged them at first with a bit of trouble, but the last few without a breeze.
 
Now came the guillotine-like steel contraptions. Pausing briefly before the first one came crashing down, and timing it just right, she managed to go through all the structures at the gaps in the top after they've gone down.
 
Suddenly the giant pit in the earth opens up in the ground, but she flies right past it, continuing on to the heat-seeking disc launchers. She sent a bolt of energy out and they flew towards it, but more came out and went after her. She flew around in the air for a moment more before firing behind her, where the discs were, and detonated those in an explosion.
 
Having cleared the disc launcher bases completely, the course was over.
 
All eyes turned expectantly towards the timer on the control panel.
 
1:23
 
 
“Hey, not bad for a first timer. You've got some real potential there.”
 
Fire looked at Craven and Angel. “I'd be proud if I were you two.”
 
The two looked at each other, smiling. “We are.”
 
*~*~*~*~*~*
 
From across the bay, two extra onlookers gazed at the action through electronic binoculars.
 
“You've picked a real winner of a girlfriend, I'd say. Nice choice.”
 
The taller figure of the two smirked. “Thanks. But I'm only listening to my mother on this one.”
 
Ruby brought her binoculars down from her face and looked at him. Nathan did the same.
 
“Cute.”
 
“I thought so.”
 
“Remember Nathan: Never get too caught up with your targets. A little bit of love always ruins a dear mothers heart. I'll be waiting in the car if you wish to gaze longer.”
 
She turned and walked back into the sleek black SUV the two drove up in.
 
Nathan put the binoculars back up to his face, staring at Marie as the others crowded around her to congratulate her.
 
An unfamiliar feeling rose from his stomach. It sort of burned a little, but not in a bad way. With a final hard look, he turned away and entered the SUV and his mother drove him home.