Teen Titans Fan Fiction ❯ A New Hope ❯ The Grand Ball ( Chapter 17 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

AN: It's been a busy week, and pretty much all the time I was thinking about this chapter. Sorry it's late.
 
*~*~*~*~*~*
 
Endymion sat at the console in his private room, staring at the screen. He waited somewhat impatiently for it to flicker to life. Asphodel stood behind him on his right, Sapphire on his left. He closed his eyes, crossed his arms, and tapped his fingers impatiently.
 
“You certain she's going to call you?”
 
“If she doesn't she'll just get a little house visit when this ball is over and done with.”
 
“What kind of house-“
 
The screen flickered to life. A woman filled the screen, her face framed by her long, curly black hair. She looked down at the three.
 
“Hello. Are plans going as hoped?”
 
“My son and his girlfriend will be arriving shortly. I trust they will have separate rooms, yes?”
 
“That's what the plan dictates. So, they come, freshen up, we have the ball. Asphodel and Sapphire know what their jobs are for tonight. Now, with that out of the way, how's the child?”
 
“Fine. Due within the year.”
 
“I hope your son won't mind being an older brother.”
 
*~*~*~*~*~*
 
 
Nathan and Marie zoomed in the countryside out of Jump City, headed for Endymion's castle. Their bags already were there, since they couldn't put them on the motorcycle. They were spending the night after attending his masquerade ball.
 
Once they arrived at the castle, Endymion and his brother, Asphodel, greeted them warmly. A servant girl, named Sapphire, was standing there also. Nathan embraced the brothers; they were very old friends. After the introductions, they were ushered inside and given the tour, then were sent to their rooms to prepare for the ball.
 
*~*~*
 
Inside Nathan's room, a black cape with a red inside, pair of black pants, a white shirt, and a red mask sat on the bed to be put on. A sheathed rapier also sat with the costume. He looked at it, pondering. A voice from behind brought him out of his thoughts.
 
“Like it? I picked it out myself. Hope it all fits.” Nathan turned.
 
“Oh. Hello, Endymion. It looks great.”
 
“Thanks. Bathrooms through that door over there.” He pointed. “I'll leave you to freshen up now.” He turned and left the room, shutting the door behind him. Nathan went through his things, got what he needed, and went into the bathroom. When he came out, he took off his clothing and put on the costume.
 
Examining himself in the mirror, he realized that he would actually have to search for Marie at the ball. The ballroom would be packed, and everyone would be wearing a mask like him.
 
*~*~*
 
Marie's bed was almost completely covered with the crimson party dress that sat atop it. White gloves and a black mask with a handle sat on top of the dress. She looked down at it, and then felt the fabric. It was made from what felt like silk. Taking her eyes off the dress, she wandered over and opened the door that led to the bathroom.
 
After cleaning herself up, she returned to her room. There was a note on the bed.
 
“Once you are dressed, I will send Sapphire to come get you when the time is ready.
-Endymion”
 
She put on the dress with no hurry. It was late, certainly, but a bit too early to be called down.
 
*~*~*
 
In the ballroom, Endymion and Asphodel had on tailor-made costumes of their own that resembled what an eighteenth century French nobleman might've worn, complete with rapiers hanging at the waist. Each wore a half red, half black mask. The ballroom was quickly filling with men and women, acquaintances and friends, all dressed in rich and colorful costumes. Endymion noticed exactly when Nathan entered in his costume and sent for Sapphire.
 
“Yes, sir?”
 
“Wait a half hour, then get Marie.”
 
“Yes sir.”
 
*~*~*
 
Nathan scanned the ballroom, looking for Marie. He had no idea what she'd be in, or even if he would be able to find her. Suddenly, a large grandfather clock from somewhere in the castle struck ten times and the large doors at the top of the stairwell opened. A figure dressed in a red dress, with white gloves and a black hand mask, entered the room. Everyone turned and looked who it was.
 
Nathan soon realized that he had forgotten to breathe, looking at the woman. Then it hit him.
 
Marie!