Teen Titans Fan Fiction ❯ Alien Brains ❯ Obvious Traps ( Chapter 3 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

CHAPTER THREE
Starfire and Copy-Cat were really stuck. They couldn't break down the door, or escape from their cell in any other way. Their powers didn't work, and they tried to contact the others but failed…!
Starfire hated to admit it, but she was starting to feel frightened. Copy-Cat understood that, even he couldn't see any way out of this one, but just then, the cell door opened wide, and no one was there. The heroes were confused. “We are being released…?” Starfire wondered aloud.
Copy-Cat wasn't so sure. If only his foresight was working he would be able to sense any danger. He stuck his head outside the door and peeked around. The hall seemed completely empty. No guards, no security, even Quarlor himself was nowhere to be seen.
Starfire and Copy-Cat discussed whether or not to take their chance and slip out. It was most likely a trap of some sort, or why else would Quarlor just open the door and let his prisoners escape? Without their powers working, it would be a big chance, but they decided to go for it.
They quietly crept through the door, and had taken only a few paces forward when the floor opened beneath their feet sending them sliding down a tunnel, Starfire had dropped her communicator and left it at the top…!
When Starfire and Copy-Cat reached the bottom they really felt silly. “A trap…!” sneered Copy-Cat. “And we have fallen straight into It.” added Starfire. “Where have we fallen now?”
Copy-Cat wasn't sure. They had fallen a long way, possibly within the bowels of the planet. They could see a passage way head, and seeing it as their only way, since they couldn't climb or fly back up the slide, they ran straight into it… unaware that they were being watched.
Quarlor could sense where they were with his powerful brain, and it didn't seem to cause him much trouble. He sniggered sinisterly as he just sat there on this throne. That trap had always been his most ingenious plot. No matter what, all his prisoners always fell into it. “Now… for some fun. Hmm, mm, mm…!”
Starfire and Copy-Cat turned one way, then another, finally realizing they had stumbled into a labyrinth. “There must be a way for us to escape.” groaned Starfire, but the maze was so twisting and confusing, and with a ceiling overheard too so they couldn't try and make it over the walls.
“We must press on…” said Copy-Cat, “We cannot remain here.”
Starfire then had an idea of how to make it easier. She removed one of her gloves, and then the metal-band round her arm, and began to scratch some X's into the metal on the walls to serve as markers. “Good thinking…” Copy-Cat said. “Come! Let us be off.”
So they continued to trek through the maze, marking the walls so as not to lose their way again.
Meanwhile, Cyborg finally managed to get the scanner working… “At least I hope so. I'm comin' back in.”
Once he was back inside, they tried the scanner, and it was working. However, there was the matter of determining which direction to go to locate Starfire and Copy-Cat.
“Try the surveillance.” suggested Robin, “Maybe we can find out exactly what happened.”
At least the titans were familiar with how to work the systems of the ship, and used the recordings of when Starfire and Copy-Cat were working outside, just after they had gotten the systems reenergized. “There…! Look…” said Raven. “First you see them… now you don't.”
They had just vanished off the screen. Cyborg replayed it in slow motion and used the infrared-scanning. “I'm pickin' up recordings of an outside force just before they vanished.”
“Do you have a direction…?” asked Robin.
Cyborg barley got it, but the source of the signal seemed to have been projected from the nearest Galaxy, somewhere near their home galaxy. “Let's go!” snapped Robin as he took his place at the controls, and started up the ship.
It was only Robin's first time ever flying Copy-Cat's starship, but it was a good thing he had studied the many times Copy-Cat had done it. “Stand by for full-speed. Engaging protective barrier…”
…and they were off!
Meanwhile…
Starfire and Copy-Cat had managed to make a little progress and found a door at the end of the maze. “Perhaps it is the way out…?” Copy-Cat wondered aloud. “Of that I sincerely hope it is…” said Starfire.
They pushed, and pushed on the door, but it wouldn't budge. “Perhaps we shall try a running start?” Starfire suggested. So they backed up, and stood shoulder-to-shoulder, counted to three, and dashed at the door…
That's when it opened automatically, and the heroes ran right through the opening still at full speed, and they didn't stop until the hit the wall in the next room. WHAMM! Down they went, flat on their backs.
They felt stars and birdies were flying around their heads and the shook themselves awake. “We have done it… again.” groaned Starfire. Copy-Cat nodded groggily. “What next…?” he asked.
He immediately got his answer as trapdoors in the ceiling opened and Quarlor's guards leapt down into the room, surrounding the two aliens with their lances pointing right at them.
The heroes exchanged looks of concern at each other. They wouldn't stand too much a change without their powers…
… Or would they?