Teen Titans Fan Fiction ❯ Arguing the Case ❯ One-Shot

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Inspired by the Riddlin Kids song: “I Hate You.”
 
Arguing the Case
 
“Well?”
 
Raven did not pause. “Why are you asking me?”
 
A confused expression crosses Beast Boy's face. “What do you mean `why?' It's a simply yes or no question.”
 
“It's not simple, Beast Boy.” She didn't look at him and brought the mug to her lips. “I want to know your reasoning.”
 
“Reasoning? What do you think my reasoning is?”
 
She didn't answer. Beast Boy let out an exasperated sigh.
 
“Oh, come on, Raven.” He rested his elbows on the table. “Usually I'm the one that's hard to deal with. Think deep and hard why I would be asking this.”
 
She scoffed, more at herself than at him. “Surely not, Beast Boy. Besides, knowing you, you've probably got an ulterior motive.”
 
“Yes, Raven.” He rolled his eyes. “That's exactly what I'm planning. Not because I want to, but because I want something from you.”
 
She smiled. “So there's absolutely nothing you want from me?”
 
“No! I—Oh.” His face heated. “Yeah, that didn't sound exactly right. But come on! When have I been anything but perfectly sincere to you?”
 
She tilted her head. “I guess you're right… But still, what possible reason could you have?”
 
He glowered at her. “I'm starting to wonder. You don't have to be so frigging negative.”
 
“It's my nature,” she reminded. “That and I am perfectly paranoid. Both of which seem to be working at this moment.”
 
“Well… It would cheer you up too.”
 
“Is that all? I need `cheering up?' You should know me better than that. I don't. And I don't appreciate you thinking I do.”
 
“It's not just that! Damn it,. Why can't you just say yes like a normal person?”
 
She sent a glare his way. “I'm hardly a `normal' person.”
 
“See! And now I just pissed you off! Why are you so difficult?”
 
“And what would you rather me be?”
 
He threw up his arms, strangling the air. “We're not going through this again. What is the issue?”
 
“There is no issue. I'm just curious.” She turned back to her tea.
 
“Why are you always so suspicious of me?”
 
“Have you ever given me a reason not to be?”
 
“Ye… Shut up.”
 
“Beast Boy,” she said with a serious tone. “I'm not saying yes for obvious reasons, not to damage your ego.”
 
“See, and then you bring up that issue again. It's your excuse for everything. For locking yourself in your room, for ignoring all of us, for closing yourself off from the world—”
 
“What would you rather me do?” she answered hotly. “Blow up the tower?”
 
“Please. I get you to do that weekly.”
 
She glared. He glowered.
 
“You're so hot-headed,” she said, her voice rising.
 
“And you've got such a short temper,” he countered.
 
“Only around you, and only because you are the most annoying individual I've ever met!”
 
“Maybe I `annoy' you because I think you're looking far too depressed! You have to sit there and be as dark as possible!”
 
“As opposed to being as social as possible! Like you don't jump around because you're begging for attention!”
 
“Ouch, Rae.” He feigned hurt. “I think that one stung a little.”
 
“You are such a whiny bastard.”
 
“Bitch.”
 
They were nose to nose and matching glares. Finally Raven sat back down, frowning at her tea. Beast Boy smiled triumphantly.
 
“…So will you go out with me or not?”
 
She shrugged, taking the mug and dropping it in the sink.
 
“Sure. For some reason I like hanging out with you.”
 
Notes:
It was hard finding insults that weren't too insulting. I didn't want them to be tragically wounded before their first date.
“I Hate You” is the best love song ever and fits perfectly with Beast Boy and Raven's relationship.
Wow. I love Strawberry Panic. It's three schools filled with lesbians. And it's hot.