Teen Titans Fan Fiction ❯ Family ❯ Jump ( Chapter 30 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I do not own Inuyasha, Rumiko Takahashi does.
 
AN: This twist on the story takes place after Inuyasha's first love, Kikyo, meets her demise again at the hands of Naraku. Throughout the story, many cultures and religions will be fused together to form my fiction.
 
~ ~ ~ ~ ~
 
Awakening of Fires
 
*********
 
Chapter 1: Hidden Embers
 
*********
 
It's so sadwait…I'm burning up!
 
As she tried to reach for a shirt to take off…she realized…there was no shirt to take off…no skirt…no shoes…not even socks. Horrified, she gazed down at her feverish, damp body and saw only her undergarments, soaked in sweat.
 
“Ah!” How did she end up like this?! Shame overflowed her…reddening her cheeks even further than the infernal heat had.
 
Wait, why is it so hot? …It's the middle of the night in autumn…
Gazing up at the supposed culprit, she realized it was nighttime…there is no sun. But, there is a moon…even stranger…a black moon outlined with a translucent yellow light. The heat wasn't coming from the heavens …perhaps it was a fever…
 
She concluded she was definitely back in the feudal era because she could see the lands virgin of modern technology. There was a slight hint of romance in the landscape…the fertile bed of green grass…the quiet of the trees…the sleeping flowers…the peace.
 
I feel lightheaded
 
“Where are all the others?” should have been her first thought, it most certainly would have been if she had been lost. Somehow, she knew…knew where she was…knew why…and knew who to look for.
 
She searched for any marker indicating home, she searched for the very place that had been witness to her most fortunate accidental meeting with destiny….to a time she had found her strength…where she had experienced her first true…
 
“The Goshinboku!” It was within gazing distance, only a few yards away…maybe she was sick…she just needed to find somebody! Anybody! The eerie feeling of belonging settled in her breast…that scared her beyond the unfathomable situation she found herself in.
 
She ran towards that ancient tree. A symbol of him…she ran to him…to the only person she found protection and felt safe with, who for some reason, was the last thing she remembered and the strongest image in her mind. Finally, she had reached her destination…
 
“Inuyasha…” she let his name escape her lips with a tone of relief because he was now standing before her.
 
Oh no! I'm half naked! She scrambled her hands across her chest trying to cover herself from his peculiar gaze. Even though he was acting unlike himself, the feelings of embarrassment, dignity, and pride overcame uncertainty and confusion.
 
“You pervert! Sit!” Kagome screamed at the top of her lungs while closing her eyes, knowing his body would make contact with the ground with a quick sure thud.
 
She waited…nothing… he had not acknowledged her screams, he hadn't even fallen to her subduing command…yet, he was looking straight at her. “No…he cannot see me. But…who…
 
A breeze strong enough to alleviate the heat wave interrupted the awkwardness, strong enough to ruffle his hair…that silvery hair …strong enough to ignite a sense of…no … a desire …that blossomed at an alarming rate within her.
 
“Why can't you hear me?” She said almost in a whisper…no need to scream a question that she knew deep inside, had an answer.
 
“It's her, isn't it? But how, she's…” Kikyo is dead…right? She didn't want to finish her own sentence not only because of the absurdity it implied, but because it would be too painful for the both of them.
 
The wind kept blowing and brought with it the sounds of steps…
 
It is her…,” Kagome thought as she curled her fists…in an attempt to suffocate her frustration.
 
Indeed it was a woman, she realized as she turned to face her.
 
A sigh of relief…
 
It's not …then who?
 
Intricate and seamless markings covering the foremost part of her face concealed her identity like a clever masquerade, Is that a mask? I can't tell, her face is blurry only her brown strands of hair and revealing flesh where plainly visible. Her eyes had reflected a glimmer of red...perhaps a demon?
 
Inuyasha's gaze swept over the woman, while he devoured her image, his eyes too had a fleeting shimmer of red…Kagome had noticed they lacked their usual golden luster…perhaps it was the night that made them seem darker.
 
“Who is she Inuyasha?” Kagome asked, this time, unfortunately, confusion had pierced its way through her creating a doubt that made her the green monster slave to jealousy…even more so now that he had a familiar and warm look on his face while holding the strange woman in his gaze.
 
Two different but equally overwhelming tensions saturated the air.
 
Ah! I feel like I'm on fire! It was overbearing heat that suddenly struck Kagome weakening her so that she could no longer stand. Energy drained, she fell onto her knees.
 
What could she do now? She could only hope and pray this was a dream. What if it wasn't? If this was a cruel, taunting reality, surely he would be free of whatever spell he was under. If only she had her bow and arrows…these would purify IT to obliteration. But, deep inside, once again, she knew this was no spell. She could only watch…watch and wait until her body temperature reached her temper.
 
Like a cat pondering the method of her game, the woman strode towards him. Evidently, very confident in herself and her provocative attire…she took her hands and ran them across his chest…one hand opening his haori revealing his glistening upper body. All the while, his hands began to return the token…one hand sliding past the hollows of her bare back into what seemed to be the first prototype for a skirt…he began to caress the cheeks found there.
 
“No more!” Kagome closed her eyes, outraged at herself for having walked unto HIS intimacy…again. Outraged that she could not move, but even worse that she had opened her eyes as fast as she had closed them and could not stop from glaring at the unbelievable scene.
 
The woman begun to weave her hands into his hair and the nape of his neck, and like a skillful seductress, she began to lightly cover his chest with her snake-like kisses. He closed his eyes in pleasure at her foreplay. The woman thrust him against the sacred tree that had once represented hate and sadness, and with the spark of temptation, she had turned it into the setting of a lust filled scene. She took full advantage that he had now grabbed her by the waist and both were within breathing distance of each other, both tempted by the other's lips and promise of the surrender to come.
 
“Hmm mmm mmm hmm ooo Ooo oo Hmm mmm”
 
She began to hum a sensual tune as she looked into his passion filled eyes.
 
Oh my gods! They are going to ….to…do THAT...in front of ME??!!! Kagome yelled mentally at the oblivious couple while she incredulously gaped at them. But, her feminine pride came forth reassuring her of an indisputable decision. Leave…at all costs. While she tried in vain to stand, determined to die rather than be witness, the woman turned and raised an eyebrow at her.
 
“You know I'm here don't you? You can see me!”
 
The nerve of that …that…woman…she must have done something to me and Inuyasha!
 
“Let him go! Inuyasha wake up! Inuyasha she has you under her spell…it's me Kagome!” She blinked in shock as the woman scoffed and turned to her recent prospect.
 
The unseen truth hit her and then fear made its way to her soul and crawled under her skin.
 
That's not … She focused her eyes further on him and realized it wasn't Inuyasha.
 
“Then why…” The silence was her only answer.
 
She…the woman…or thing disguised as one, took her hand and caressed the man's face…this time the face became one of a known identity.
 
“It is Inuyasha!”
 
“But who?” maybe her eyes were deceiving her.
 
Evil disguised in what seemed like demon skin to Kagome, took her leg from the ground and lifted it to further the contact between her deadliest trap and Inuyasha's vulnerability. She curled her knee at his side and took possession of his neck with her hands once again. This time, however, she stopped humming and claimed his mouth, lips, tongue and all. He responded with the same desperation…the same desire…tasting each other's need …hands running trails of want over each other seeking a pleasure unseen.
 
Kagome's face grew wide with horror…anger…jealousy…hate…and then that same damned fear came back rushing from her skin and tugged at her heart.
 
Inuyasha and the woman fell onto the ground but as the woman withdrew her lips, Inuyasha released a sigh.
 
Then Kagome knew. She knew the woman's intentions.
 
Of the two bodies on the ground, the one on top lay limp while the thing underneath gave Kagome a deadly smile.
 
Death…
 
“Oh gods…INUYASHA!!!”
 
No time for regrets or anguish was left to Kagome. She had allowed herself to be deceived and had allowed the deception to kill Inuyasha. Now, that very deadly deceit made her way to the shattered Kagome…evil had completed only part one of its plot.
 
“Why?! Who are you? Did Naraku send you??!!!” Just as the desperate attempt to find answers burst from Kagome's mouth…the woman's face was becoming clearer.
 
Revenge
 
“Oh gods! It's so hot!” She screamed all the while holding her throbbing head. There was a wave of heat that rippled through Kagome…it felt as though the devil himself had opened the gates of hell with the sole purpose of letting the fires burn her.
 
But, with the fires of hell came its darkness…it was just her again…all alone…sad…then tear filled eyes hesitantly opened. Opening partly because they held hope the latter scene was a lie.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Lashes fully opened, she saw there was no sun only the remnants of what seemed to have been one of the endless nightmares she had experienced since Kikyo's death, since the encounter with Kaou.
 
The flower emperor had brought on blood tears and had managed to sear into two hearts, only exposing the truth that lay there. Both hearts however, where blind to the binding truth and the bond created between the two. Perhaps, they chose not to see…perhaps the pain was too much…or perhaps the truth had been screaming aloud for so long that spoken words would fail to expose it.
 
Kagome blinked. Scenes of the dream-vision were flashing rapidly in her mind, each image leaving an imprint…or were they always there? It was quiet, but it was only the slumbering silence that walks with the night, no signs of the heat prevailing air she had encountered.
 
She's dead…poor Kikyo…she died…but then how can I still feel this fear? He loved her…he still does and he always will. Even in death, her heart belongs to him and his to her…Oh gods! I'm still jealous of her…no…may she rest in peace. But even though SHE may be at peace, her memory will never leave him in peace.” These thoughts were the first to have overcome Kagome during the recent days of Inuyasha's mourning. The fiery vision had exposed her subconscious' lack of patience, along with other smothered sentiments…sentiments that seemed to be freeing themselves of a sleep induced by the sympathy of loss.
 
Once again, her main concern, Inuyasha, pushed all other thoughts out of her mind. “Inuyasha” she said in a whisper realizing she lay near a circle of slumbering warriors, friends, and family, he however, was nowhere in sight. As usual, she hoped as usual, he would be in his insomnious state nearby.
*************
“I'll always watch over you…”
 
“Kikyo”
 
He signed and exhaling the air he hoped he could release some sorrow with it. There was the feeling of certain emptiness, he felt at a loss. He felt impudent…the fight with Naraku seemed to be futile; his invincibility became a fact with each passing day. Would death bring peace?
 
But before he could continue his train of thought, his senses alerted him to a nearby presence.
 
“What are you doing still up?” Inuyasha asked not looking over his shoulder toward the girl who would have given anything to be granted one of his warm glances. He was alive and nothing seemed amiss, his usual mood gave a sure confirmation. She, however, was quickly learning that nothing is as it seems…she needed to feel the reality of his being.
 
“Inuyasha!” she exclaimed, partly from relief, partly from feelings that could no longer be suppressed.
 
“You're alright, thank the gods” She was relieved but most of all she felt as if she had learned a valuable lesson about the need to cherish love.
 
Hence, an impulsive gesture of both happiness and need to love, led her to embrace him. She just wanted to hold onto him, stop time, stop all evil and fighting from smearing this moment, and with her arms she wanted to hold his heart…that busy, distant, wounded heart that beats for another woman…for only a second…only to feel what it would be like to claim it all hers.
 
“Kagome”
 
He wrapped his arms around her… simply knowing that her frame intertwined with his in the hug felt as if the pieces to a puzzle had finally been fitted and had revealed to him the picture of happiness…he did it simply to reassure her, though not sure of what, by returning the gesture.
 
Kagome's wish came true in a moment between dreams and reality surrounded by a whirlwind of emotions, each was like a note in a song, all working in harmony for the purpose of being acknowledged and heard.
 
But, when the heart escapes into undefined freedom, it's only a matter of time before the scrutiny of logic calls it back with doubt and for fear of its undisputable truth, confines the heart for its insubordinate behavior.
 
“Oh gods Inuyasha I don't know what I would have done…if you…if that…was true.”
 
“Wait, what am I doing? He must think I've lost it!” Kagome cursed herself, all the while her head rested on his chest. The chest that felt sinfully good. She had previously closed her eyes and now had them wide open…she had opened them to search for an explanation, debating whether or not to use the truth.
 

“Huh? Uh…” Inuyasha's logic spoke as it tied the last binds around his heart.
 
“What the heck are you hugging me for?” He asked. The phrase translated was, “Are you alright, what's wrong?
 
Inuyasha's ignorance and what seemed like a profound insensitivity unleashed Kagome's fury.
 
“I was worried you big jerk!” She exclaimed. What she meant was, “Because, I needed you because I love you!”
 
“Why? It's not like I went off or nothing!...I was just… just standing here by the lake.” A lake that had been witness to his guilt and grief, the place to be when one has lost their way…or simply lost.
 
“Besides you know I don't need sleep like you humans do.” Truth be told, he needed to mourn and cry like humans do, but did so in solitude for fear of exposing any more of his weaknesses to his enemies and himself.
 
He casts his eyes down remembering what he was previously reflecting upon. Then, he remembered Kagome's embrace that had caused the interruption… but made the mistake of remembering this embrace along with those of Kikyo… and in so doing, as usual, confused the distinctions between the two.
 
Kagome had felt a surge of rage and had suddenly felt weak and overheated…again.
Her balance gave way and she almost fell, she caught herself, and put a hand to her throbbing head.
 
“Kagome what's wrong?!” The worry was now washing away all foolish thoughts and alerting him of a danger to one of his treasures, or perhaps is only true treasure; he rushed to Kagome's side.
 
As soon as his hand made contact with her skin, images of that heat filled vision filled Kagome's thoughts, along with those of him and Kikyo together…again.
 
“No! I'm not fine you asshole! You traitor! I'm not enough?! You have to go out and find your beloved women…all sacred in your eyes…all worthy of your love! What about me, I'm just a convenient replacement when they're not around? Of course! Nice, understanding, forgiving, little Kagome that you can just step on, you can just stab at her heart, it won't bleed, she won't mind!! I should make you pay here and now…I swear on all the gods, if I hear her name one more time…”
 
Kagome gasped in horror, not sure if it was horror at having such thoughts or if it was horror that she sympathized with them. She looked at Inuyasha, knowing he was worried, she decided to give him a sign of her well-being, or was it a way to mislead him from the brewing thoughts in her head?
 
“Yeah, I'm fine stupid…let me go…ugh…sit!” There, she had given the first sit that had been given out of a different fear…for she feared she might harm him, as feverish as she was…even though it felt like for the first time, she could see things as they were and should be.
 
Kagome was breathing raggedly, fearful of her thoughts and what they implied, fearful of her feelings, she started to slowly walk into the lake. Surely it would wash away the rancor…or fever, perhaps both.
 
“Kagome, what are you doing?” Inuyasha noticed as he recuperated from the command, this time however, he had felt a bruising sit: almost as if he had been struck by a heat-searing lash. He had noticed she had been doused by sweat, but Kagome hadn't dove into the lake, instead she walked into it, the way one embraces the trust and call of the sea, becoming one with it.
 
Before he had leaped into the lake after her, Kagome lifted her head, as the steam was released; she took one big gasp of air and let out a sigh of relief. She began to retrace her steps to the outside, she hoped to have found the calm…she hoped in vain.
 
`Kagome…'
 
She looks so provocative…
 
Good enough to eat.
 
Inuyasha's three ever conflicting selves had found an agreement and in the most uncomfortable and disturbing way. Actually, they touched the same topic on different occasions and only embarrassment had come forth to voice their unanimous opinion in the form of deep blushes and feigned anger.
 
This time however, with a desire to express his feelings, he stared at Kagome's soaked form as she walked towards him… he was uneasy of what his reaction would be…the next time they came into any form of contact.
 
`No, that would be wrong, Kikyo is…'
 
I know what you want…
 
You've been wanting to for a very long time…
 
Inuyasha grabbed at her arm, the moment became a silent battle of desires…affection and hurt hand in hand.
 
She had her gazed fixed straight ahead and simply stated in a very solemn tone, “It'll always be this way between us, won't it?”
 
A flicker of fire brushed up against her heart…
 
“…not if the very air flees from you.” She wondered at the cynical tone her words took, but found she agreed with the meaning and perhaps even the threat.
 
“What?” Inuyasha couldn't even begin to understand what had just happened. Did she just threaten him and was this her angry words lashing out in vengeance? The coldness of her form was intimidating and distant.
 
“Nothing,” she tried to shake off the rush to her head…was it even a rush? But, it refused to subside…she slowly walked up to the immobile Inuyasha so that she could be ear to ear with him despite facing the opposite direction.
 
She whispered in his ear, “What goes around comes around…don't forget that Inuyasha.” All the while, the look of hate on her face was concealed as she methodically walked towards camp, glancing back only to reassure herself of Inuyasha's blank look, a sign of uncertainty towards her implications.
 
The less known the better it made her feel…but about what and why?
 
`Is she planning to sit me, give me the cold shoulder, or go back home?'
 
What if she decidesshe's gonna to do all of them?! O maybe even something more…”
 
She looked possessed…well she looks like that whenever she's angry, after all, it's Kagome.”
 
~ ~ ~ ~ ~
 
The blazing sun imposed it's authority on the morning sky and with its ever burning heat made its sovereignty known, so loud was it's commanding voice, that no cloud dare enter it's domain…its tyranny was ensured for the day and many to come.
 
“Kagome, I awoke during the night and saw that both you and Inuyasha were missing from camp.” The monk was trying to offer some consolation with his idea of a nonchalant statement. He had meditated the beginning of the conversation while sitting on the grass, legs crossed, all the while his eyes remaining closed.
 
“I had a nightmare and Inuyasha was up so, I thought we could talk, everything is fine, really, I'm just tired that's all.” Kagome's intuition had already deciphered Miroku's concern.
 
Miroku's eyes opened at the hidden meaning in Kagome's words at which he replied to with a sympathetic look.
 
She felt a wave of gratitude and sibling bond between them; she too was worried about all of them; how the energy-draining hunt for Naraku was slowly taking a high toll on each of them.
 
“Miroku…” She wanted to express her thanks for his concern, she placed her hand on his shoulder, “…thanks.”
 
But, the very thing that she had told Inuyasha not to forget… came back around to haunt her and brought with it the physical pain of a feverish migraine.
 
Her hand tightened its grip on his shoulder. She bent down and said, “I can't wait until you fill me again…with your wisdom.” Then, as she walked away her hand grazed his cheek and ear lobe ever so lightly, but it was a touch gentle enough to stir a seemingly new tension…or perhaps desire…between them.
 
Miroku turned his head in her direction. For the first time he was blinking in confusion, a reaction he thought he would never experience from a woman's touch.
 
“Get a hold of yourself Kagome! What is wrong with you…did you just touch him…did I just hit on MIROKU?! What is happening to me?” She couldn't find any answers…but she suddenly felt that she didn't need to question it, almost as if it was natural.
 
Just as nature has rules, so does love. Any indication of any violation immediately sparks a chain reaction of consequences.
 
For Sango who had been training with Kirara not far from the camp site, witnessing the later scene between Kagome and Miroku subliminally told her heart that sometime during their conversation a rule was broken…had it been broken before?
 
As the chain reaction was completed she suffered many consequences: dismay and anger tied together with a lace of jealousy.
 
She placed her hand on the bark of the tree next to her and just as her attempt to reason made contact with the wood, so did many arrows.
 
* * * *
 
The horse wasn't galloping fast enough for her… if only it ran as fast as her heart was beating. She tried in vain to tell the samurai they had mistaken her for another…she was certain she had been framed…she refused to be executed for the crimes of another.
 
“I'm not who you think I am…I don't even have that kind of power!!” she screamed as the next wave of arrows aimed towards her were simultaneously launched, barely missing, some managing to pierce through armor and skin.
 
She was reaching the camp of the true evil, that wretched murderer.
 
* * * * *
“Take cover!” Inuyasha yelled landing in the embers of last night's campfire. He withdrew his sword ready to face his enemy. Everyone took heed of his warning and took shelter behind some boulders.
 
“Is everyone alright?” asked Sango, previous feelings expelled while fear succeeded them.
 
“Yeah, just some scrapes…” answered Kagome while caressing a cowering Shippou in her lap.
 
“It's her you want, not me!”
 
The woman on the horse dismounted and pointed towards the rocks.
 
The brigade of arrows, flying lances, and the racing horses had all stopped. Miroku, Sango and a transformed growling Kilala, stepped forward… weapons ready, courage at its peak.
 
“Who the hell are you and what the heck are you talkin' about?” Inuyasha yelled at the strange woman, unsure of her nature and intentions, he began to identify her as one of Naraku's plots.
 
“Her! She's the one you have to kill! She's too cowardly to come out of hiding!” The woman screamed at the determined soldiers.
 
Out from the rocks stood Kagome, the only female left hiding. She glanced at the strange wounded woman and was startled from the daggers of hate thrown her way.
 
The persecuted woman found who she was looking for, at last… justice would be done, “Kill her!”
 
~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~
 
I hope you all enjoyed “Awakening of Fires”- Hidden Embers, feedback would be greatly appreciated. ~ daflyingarrow