Teen Titans Fan Fiction ❯ I Went out to get Coffee... ❯ Chapter 1

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

 
Disclaimer: I own NOTHING!!
 
“Robin, you're going to the grocery store, right?” Cyborg asked.
 
“Yeah, you need anything?”
 
“We're out of coffee.”
 
“I'll pick up some, anything imparticular?”
 
“Folgers, thanks,” Cyborg said. “And come back soon. I've been without coffee for three days and I need some caffeine. If you need anything call me.”
 
Robin nodded. Heading out of Titans Tower he mounted his motorcycle. Firing up the engines he headed to Jump City.
 
Driving into the city, he headed toward the store where they bought groceries. when he spotted something out of the corner of his eye.
 
Whirling around, he saw Slade slip into an alleyway. Slade? he thought. What's he doing here? He hadn't seen Slade since the Trigon incident. Why had he returned?
 
He made a quick decision, without hesitating for an instant, changed direction. The coffee could wait; he had more important things to attend to. Slade had to be stopped before his diabolical scheme could take place.
 
Robin started up his motorcycle, driving in Slade's direction. He headed down the alley Slade had taken and followed him. Slade made his way silently through the city streets. The road was blocked. Dismounting, he followed Slade. The man turned, heading down the streets of dreary neighborhoods. Robin removed his grapple from his belt and took to the roof in hot pursuit.
 
Slade didn't even look back and kept sprinting across the empty streets of Jump City. Robin followed close behind. The sun had faded to dusk as the city lights flickered on. Leaping from the rooftop, Robin landed a short distance behind Slade. Sweat beaded the Boy Wonder's face as the villain whirled around kicking him. Robin avoided the blow with a back-flip. “What are you planning?” he asked.
 
“Does it matter Robin?” Slade smirked. “You worry too much.”
 
“You just talk more!” Robin glared. Throwing a viscous punch at Slade's face, the man blocked it, smashing his knee into the Boy Wonder's stomach. Gasping, the teen jumped back as Slade leapt forward, kicking hard.
 
Robin took the offensive, pummeling Slade with his entire arsenal. He smashed his fist into his foe, sending him flying backwards. Landing on his feet, he charged in. Grabbing a broken chair lying beside a trash can, Robin threw it at him. Slade chopped the chair in half with his fist, knocking it aside.
 
“Not bad work Robin, but you'll never win.”
 
“This isn't about winning, this about me stopping you!” Robin shouted. He whipped out his Communicator. “Titans, Slade's back!”
 
“We're coming,” Cyborg answered. Robin waited as Slade closed in.
 
“As always, you're in the dark about my intentions,” he smirked. Robin remained silent.
 
“How can you stop me if you don't know what I'm planning?” Slade taunted.
 
“Like this!” Robin snarled. Launching ferocious attack, he struck Slade with the Mountain Push, quickly launching a spin kick at his midsection. He watched as he evaded the Mountain Push, beginning a counterstrike. Slade blocked his blows with ease. Robin tried to suppress his anger.
 
“You're getting sloppy Robin. You softened since we last met.” Slade mocked, his blow landed in Robin's face, he staggered back. The masked eye gleamed in the darkness disdainfully.
 
“No. I'm stronger!” He leapt high, somersaulting down; he struck Slade first, quickly wheeling about, swinging around for a punch.
 
“Indeed you have,” Slade said in monotone. “I'm impressed. You would've made a fine apprentice had you learned to see things my way.”
 
“I'd never join you! I did it to save my friends!” Robin blocked a blown and dodged a viscous kick. “You would've killed them if I hadn't done it.”
 
“And the self sacrifice? Did you save them?” Slade's infuriating voice asked tauntingly. “Or only delay the inevitable?”
 
“What's that supposed to mean?” Robin demanded.
 
“I searched for an apprentice. Obviously my first two choices have, shall we say, been unsuccessful candidates… what makes you think I can't destroy your friends, or your precious City from the inside out?”
 
Robin flew into a rage. He'd never let anything happen to the city as long as he defended it. He attacked with reckless abandon. Punching and striking, he forgot strategy and finesse; he moved with adrenaline as his only motivator. He pushed Slade back further into the alley.
 
He spotted the T Car as it careened around the corner, heading towards where they were. Slade turned his head and looked over at them. Cyborg jumped out, Sonic Cannon blasting a series of shots at Slade. Starfire flew towards him, a stream of Starbolts firing steaks of green light. Raven and Beast Boy joined them. Beast Boy had transformed into an eagle and attacked Slade.
 
Slade whipped out a laser pistol and fired at Beast Boy, dodging, he circled around, trying to find another chance to strike. Cyborg fired his Cannon and continued pressing forward. Raven launched a trash can at him and he leapt over it. She then hurled streaks of dark energy, but he remained untouched by her attacks.
 
Slade dodged back and struck; Starfire ducked and avoided the blow as Cyborg smashed his fists into him. Slade blocked his blows and kicked back.
 
Raven stepped forward. “Azarath, Metrion, Zinthos!” she shouted and the broken chair that Slade chopped in half flew at him with tremendous speed. Somersaulting he avoided them. Raven sent a blast of dark energy screaming at him. He flipped back, landing on his feet in silence.
 
Beast Boy hit the ground, morphing into a ferocious lion. Attacking Slade, he slashed at him with his claws. Slade twisted away, taking a glancing blow, damaging his body armor. Starfire unleashed a gigantic Starbolt in his direction, blasting him off his feet. Robin then leapt forward, kicking him in midair. The Titans watched him hit the ground hard.
 
They surrounded him quickly, their weapons drawn, ready to fight. “We've go you Slade. There's nowhere to go.”
 
“I'm sorry old friends,” Slade removed a smoke pellet from his belt. “Not today.” He threw down the pellet and the gas exploded. The Titans jumped back and Robin caught a glimpse of his archenemy as he fled.
 
“After him! We have to stop whatever he's planning.” The others nodded.
 
“B.B, can you track his scent?” Cyborg asked.
 
“That'd take way too long dude; he'd be half way to Metropolis by the time I run across town.”
 
“Star, can you go up and spot him?”
 
“Of course,” she replied. Rising into the air, she began scanning the city. “I can see him! He is near the docks!” Starfire shouted from above them.
 
“He's heading for the warehouses! Come on!” Robin leapt onto his motorcycle. The Titans jumped into the T Car as Cyborg floored it towards the pier. Stopping, they climbed out.. Running quietly towards the building, Cyborg looked at Robin. He nodded and Cyborg fired his Sonic Cannon, blasting the door down.
 
They ran inside. An army of 50 Slade-Bots stood, ready to attack them. Robin removed his Bo staff from his utility belt. “Titans, go!”
 
The Slade-Bots attacked. Three moved to confront Cyborg, their guns prepared to blast him to bits. Cyborg barreled into them, crushing their masked metallic faces to pieces with one hand, using his Sonic Cannon to blast another. Whirling around, he grabbed the robot by its head and sent it crashing into a wall, rendering it useless.
 
Starfire rose into the air, her Starbolts blazing emerald green fury as she swooped down on a group of robots. A hailstorm of energy surged towards them. She watched as four of her opponents exploded into fragments of molten metal and scattered across the room.
 
Robin twirled his Bo staff. “Tell your boss I want a word with him.” He leapt high, flipping over the robots; he brought his staff smashing down on the robot's head, shattering the mask and the components inside. He dodged a blow and pulled out a Bird-a-Rang from his utility belt , aiming for a gear high above him, he threw it.
 
The Bird-a-Rang soared through the air. Arcing up in a broad circle it smashed through a metal gear rotating above him. The shuriken like weapon shattered the metal holding the gear in place and it crashed to the ground. Five robots were flattened beneath the weight. They fizzled for a moment, then died out.
 
Beast Boy morphed into a gorilla, smashing his fists down on two robots. He picked up the pieces and hurled them into three more, exploding in succession, he moved to avoid it.
 
He then moved, attacking three more, becoming a tyrannosaurus rex he took a Slade-Bot in his jaws crushing it. Picking up another, he threw it into three that were shooting him with guns. The Titans were succeeding and their foes were being quickly decimated.
 
Raven rose into the air, “Azarath, Metrion, Zinthos!” She summoned her dark energy, blasting two Slade-Bots into the wall, crushing three more behind them.
 
Robin removed concussion grenade from his utility belt. The Titans moved in close to their leader. “Ready Raven?” He pushed a button, tossing the grenade into the air. Ii glowed brightly for five seconds as Raven surrounded them with an energy shield. The explosion from the grenade sent the remaining Slade-Bots backwards, they shattered to pieces and ricocheting off the walls. The pieces fell at their feet.
 
Robin kicked a piece of a robot's torso aside. “We don't have time for this!” he shouted angrily. “Slade's getting away!”
 
“On the contrary Robin, I've been here the whole time,” Slade's voice boomed out. They looked over and saw him standing in a darkened corner of the warehouse.
 
“I am impressed with your skills. You handled my robots quite well. Unfortunately you won't be able to stop my plan once it's in effect.”
 
“What are you planning?” demanded Robin stepping forward, ready to attack. The Titans followed suit, Slade stared at them for a moment, as if he were contemplating the answer.
 
“That's what you've been trying to figure out Robin. But with no clues to go on, I suppose I'll have to spell it out for you.” Slade paced floor. “You see Robin, Jump City is run by a vastly complex computer network. He who controls the network controls the city.”
 
He removed something from his utility belt and held it up. “You see this? This is a data chip containing the codes for me to gain access to the city's computers. With this I can shut down Jump City, rendering everything, including Titans Tower, useless.”
 
“How did you get the chip?” Robin demanded. He wasn't sure if Slade would answer.
 
“Does it matter? If you really must know, I stole it from Wayne Enterprises. I'm quite surprised he didn't tell you.”
 
“Leave him out of this! What do you want?”
 
“The answer's simple Robin: Complete, total control, and there's nothing you can do to stop me.”
 
“Titans, go!” Robin ordered. He leapt high into the air bringing his Bo staff smashing down. Slade parried, clutching the chip, he warded off the Robin's blows. Slade kicked out low, knocking Robin off balance, Robin flipped back and punched hard, making contact with Slade's midsection.
 
Starfire flew forward, sending a deadly laser blast from her eyes sending Slade flying backwards. Starfire sent a hail of Starbolts raining down on him. He flipped out of the way as the bolts nearly hit the intended target.
 
Robin pressed the advantage, swinging his staff viciously. Slade continued warding off blows, blocking and parrying with his own staff.. He kicked Robin's face and slammed his knee into Robin's stomach. Robin doubled over and Slade raised is staff to smash Robin's skull in two.
 
Raven's aura suddenly gripped Slade's legs launching him into the air. Landing hard against the wall, Beast Boy clawed him as he transformed into a bear. He grabbed Slade by his arm and threw him across the room where a waiting Cyborg blasted him with his Sonic Cannon.
 
Robin charged in, punching Slade as hard as he could. He kept moving as Slade fell back, off balance from the Titans combined attacks. He continued striking, his fists smashed into him as he stumbled again Robin suddenly somersaulted backwards; his feet struck Slade's face. He fell backwards. The chip flew from his hand, hitting the ground a short distance away. Robin ran over to his defeated foe.
 
“It's over Slade!” Robin said triumphantly. He removed the mask only to see the familiar video screen with his true arch nemesis staring at him located somewhere far away.
 
“Sorry Robin, you won't be able to savor your victory,” the real Slade said in a sardonic voice. “But I must congratulate you. But only for the time being. Perhaps we'll meet again some other time …”
 
The screen went black and the machine disintegrated before his eyes. Furious, he threw down the android. He stared off into space. The others gathered behind him.
 
“Let's go home,” Raven said.
 
“I say we should celebrate,” Beast Boy said enthusiastically.
 
“I don't do celebrating,” Raven reminded them.
 
“But we threw a big party when we saved the entire universe, that was your idea,” Cyborg said.
 
“That was a one time thing,” Raven said.
 
“What do you think Robin?”
“I don't really feel like celebrating,” Robin muttered. Once again his enemy had eluded him. How long would the game go on?
 
“Come on, Robin, he didn't get the chip! We just saved the city being shut down.” Beast Boy said.
 
“If you insist on a celebration, then let's go out for some late night coffee,” Robin said. “It'll make me feel better.”
 
“But you were gonna buy some for me at home!” Cyborg protested.
 
“Tomorrow Cyborg. Come on, we don't get to go out often.”
 
“Then to the shop of coffee, we shall go,” Starfire said. They drove down to a nearby coffee shop. Walking in, some of the patrons looked up at them, then they continued talking.
 
“I'll take a cappuccino,” Cyborg said.
 
“I'll take regular coffee,” Beast Boy said. “And could you make it nondairy coffee?” The woman at the cash register stared at him.
 
“I can try.”
 
“I will also have the coffee as well,” Starfire said.
 
“Do you have herbal tea?” Raven asked.
 
“We sure do Raven, one cup of herbal tea coming right up,” the lady replied.
 
“Thanks for your help guys, I couldn't have done it without you,” Robin looked at his friends gratefully.
 
“No problem Robin,” Cyborg slapped him on the back.
 
“I'll pay for the coffee.” Robin reached into his utility belt. He about slapped himself. He only had a few Renminbi, currency from China that he had brought back when he had left to improve his training. While there, he had set out on a Quest to find the True Master so he could defeat Katarou.
 
“Oh great!” he exclaimed. “All I have are eight Renminbi from China. I guess I could put it on Discover. You guys take Discover right?”
 
“Sure do Robin, thanks for stopping by.”
 
“You're welcome.”
 
“When did you get a credit card?” Cyborg asked.
 
“Long story,” Robin replied. “Let's just say I receive support from an old friend.”
 
“Okay…” Cyborg said.
 
“Here you go,” he handed the woman at the cash register his card.
 
“Thanks,” she said and ran it through. “That's yours and your coffee will be ready in a few minutes.”
 
They sat down at one of the nearby booths and waited for their drinks to arrive. “Do you think Slade will try to take over the city again?” Starfire asked.
 
“I don't know. At least I was ready for him.”
 
“He didn't use the chip to shut down the entire city,” Cyborg pointed out.
 
“That's true, but he still got away. That wasn't even him; it was a robot.”
 
“That's true Robin. Imagine what he could've done if he'd shut down everything. There would've been complete chaos and he could do whatever he wanted. We stopped him before he uploaded it to the city's mainframe. You should be proud of yourself.”
 
“But he's still out there, and I have to stop him.”
 
“Robin, you will stop him. We are victorious for the moment, you should not worry about Slade for the time being. We stopped him before and we shall stop him again,” Starfire said. Robin continued sipping his coffee and stared out the café's windows. She was right, they would stop Slade. No matter how long it took, the Titans would bring him to justice.