Teen Titans Fan Fiction ❯ TTHS-City Musical: The Phantom of the City ❯ Shocking Discoveries ( Chapter 11 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Author's notes:
Ya know… I only just realized now that in all the commotion, I forgot how Garfield got the letter from Terra.
I'll just have to play it from here.
CHAPTER ELEVEN
Though the school was saved, it was still condemned property by order of the mayor. So school was still canceled, at least it was safe for now.
The phantom had taken Terra to his theater where he knew he could keep her safe to avoid anymore of Jackson's shenanigans for a while. “Follow me…” he said a he led her thought he place, and past his bedroom, to his secret grotto. At first Terra was amazed, but she had to ask, “Why did you bring me here?”
Then she was even more amazed and shocked when the phantom pulled off his mask and hat to reveal. “G… Ga… Garfield…?!”
Garfield smirked at her, “Always the one you least expect.”
Terra said nothing, she needed a moment to grasp all of this. At least it explained why Garfield was always seemingly running off, and now she knew from passing his room that he actually lived in the theater, and who could blame him, with the money he made with his pitiful sideshows on the road couldn't pay much for bills or rent, and the fact that no one helped him that much.
Garfield explained that he was planning to leave the city, but when he saw how much trouble Jackson's negligence were causing the people, to become poor, hopeless and in danger… just like he was. “I couldn't let that happen. I know what it feels like.” So he decided to don his cape and mask and become the phantom. He would stop Jackson's greed plots by destroy any complexes or bad buildings he put up that put people in danger and restore what was once there with magic. Anyone who dared to get in his way was sent to a far off place where it would take time for them get back, but it taught them never to cross paths with him again.
However, he could never go after Jackson himself, or he was most likely to become the most wanted person in America. Plus, despite that Jackson was as despicable as they come, the city still needed a mayor.
This made Terra realized, “What about Kato?” she asked sounding a little mad. “Why did you attack him? He wasn't all that against you.”
Garfield hated to tell Terra she was wrong. Kato was against him, and so was Raven, but he taught Kato to see things from another point. Still… Kato had discovered his identity, and he couldn't let him remain in Jump City or he was likely to turn him in. “But luckily, it did help my plans.”
He continued to explain that the teleportation spells he cast, wherever he sent you depended on what type of sand or elements he had rubbed onto the tip of his cane from wherever that was.
Had sent Kato to Washington, after rubbing samples of Washington gravel onto his cane which he obtained from the building in town as its brick was imported from there. He sent Kato there with Dick's letter…
Terra couldn't remember how he got it in the first place…and figured it to be some sort of trick.
Hopefully, Kato would finally be able to warn the president about Jackson's negligence and put a stop to this legally. “I was originally going to send you there… but Kato got in my way, and I had to change my plans.”
“Me…?” Terra asked. “You were going to do that to me?”
Garfield nodded.
“But why…?” asked Terra.
Garfield hesitated for a moment and turned his back towards her and paced a little, and finally he said. “Because… I trust you.”
Terra blushed, and felt nearly shocked. “You… you trust me…?”
Garfield nodded. “I never thought it would ever happen.” He said. “When I decided to give up change, it was because I lost all hope and decided to settle for what would never change. I acted like a jerk not only because of my frustration, but in hopes to drive you and other people away so as not to get mixed up with me. I could never expose anyone to a life like mine.”
Terra walked over and placed her hand on his shoulder. “But if you don't… how do you know they won't help you?” She was hinting at all the things Garfield's harshness had taught her over the years, to make the extra effort, and “Push yourself to be the best you can…”
She then pecked him on the cheek, and Garfield… he liked it. He really actually liked it, and was starting to feel things he hadn't felt in a long time. “Garfield, please…” replied Terra. “Let me help you.”
Garfield suddenly realized that maybe there was something Terra could help him with. It required him to teach her and for her to master it in very little time, but Terra promised to help him, and Garfield began to train her, teaching her the art of magic, even though magicians usually never revealed their secrets… this time… it was unavoidable. If Jackson was to be overthrown, once and for all… they would have to get this right.
Then, one day…
Mayor Jackson had received a fax from the state of Washington. “What…?!” he shouted. Dodgers ran to his office quickly and discovered what was happening. The note had said that there was going to be a city-inspection.
All across America at that time of year all cities had governmental-checks to count the populace and measure the way of their lives were going in the city. This helped to see what needed improving. Jackson's letter also contained a long list of crimes he was accused for.
-Embezzlement
-Extortion
-Illegal Demolition
-Fraud
…And countless other charges.
“Do you know what this means?” he asked to Dodgers.
“We flee while there's still time…?” asked Dodgers.
“No…! Idiot!” shouted Jackson. “The president expects me to be running a fully-functional city, a city with happiness, joy, and no crime whatsoever.”
Dodgers pointed out that this easier said than done. “This city is filled with miles of nothing but industries, and non-enjoyable pleasures. The citizens have all fallen into hopelessness, and the jails are full because you arrest people for the tiniest of infractions.”
Jackson already had a plan for that, and he started by calling off the demolition to the northwest forest. He also planned to release all the prisoners so the jails would seem empty.
“Well...! What are you just standing there for-- We have work to do.”
“Yes sir! Yes sir!”
The citizens were most confused. In the shortest time, new banners were put up telling of coming attractions, like a new theme park, a mini-mall, a new playground for the children, and lots of other things you wouldn't find much of in Jump-City. All those innocent people who were thrown in jail by Jackson's ridiculous laws were also released and returned to their friends and family.
Dick and friends didn't buy this one bit. Everyone was informed of the city inspection and ordered, or rather blackmailed and extorted further to play along with Jackson's plan. “He's up to no good.” Vic said.
“So what do we do about it?” asked Kori. “Just go along with the lie…?”
“That's exactly what we're going to do.” Dick said.
“WHAT…?!”
Dick had his faith. He knew Jackson's plan would be see through, “And if I'm right… He'll be out of this town faster than a speeding bullet.”
The others smiled sinisterly, but easily Raven was looking forward to the inspection day, because Kato had sent her an email that he was coming home, and it was thanks to him and Dick's letter that all this was happening. This gave the gang even more confidence about the success of their hopes.
“I wonder how he got my letter anyway.” Dick wondered. “And how did he manage to get it to Washington without Jackson knowing?”
No one knew how, but they all wondered if maybe the phantom had something to do with it.
Garfield and Terra were in the park relaxing after all the work they had done, and they too had discovered what was happening. The city inspection was scheduled to begin the next day after the officials were due to arrive.
Then there would be a big town meeting at town hall the following night. “Do you really think Jackson will fall?” asked Terra.
“I honestly don't know…” Garfield sighed. “But I got a feeling he's going to have something else cooked up.”
In the meantime, they remembered all they had practiced just in case Jackson would do what they thought he'd do. The only thing Terra had to make an excuse for was explaining where she had been all this time instead of being at home, but she knew she was doing the right thing.
Garfield decided maybe it would be best if he walked her home now. “Uh… Garfield…?” Terra asked shyly. “Would you… hold my hand?”
Garfield smiled and gently held her hand as they walked down the street. They said nothing to each other along the way but… things seemed to warm up a bit as soon Terra went form holding Garfield's hand to looping her arm around his and resting her head on his shoulder. Garfield never stopped smiling not once. This was the happiest he had ever been.
He dropped her off, and hoped she'd be okay. He only got another peck on his cheek. Then she went up to her apartment and Garfield went off.
(Music cue)
“Wow…!” he thought to himself gently. “Is this what it feels like to be in love?”
And as he went along his way, began to sing in his mind…
(Garfield's thoughts)
(Sounds like Stephen Bishop)
Time, I've been passing time watching trains go by
All of my life
Lying on the sand watching seabirds fly
Wishing there could be someone
Waiting home for me
Something's telling me it might be you
Yeah, It's telling me it might be you
All of my life
Looking back as lovers go walking past
All of my life
Wondering how they met and what makes it last
If I found the place
would I recognize the face
Something's telling me it might be you
Yeah, It's telling me it might be you
So many quiet walks to take
So many dreams to wake
and there's so much love to make
Oh, yeah…
I think we're gonna need some time
Maybe all we need is time
And it's telling me it might be you
All of my life
I've been saving love songs and lullabies
And there's so much more
No one's ever heard before
Something's telling me it might be you
Yeah, it's telling me it must be you
and I'm feeling it'll just be you
All of my life
Maybe it's you
Maybe it's you
I've been waiting for all of my life

It's you…
Maybe It's you…
I've been waiting for all of my life
It's you
Hey now…
maybe it's you
I've been waiting for… all of my…
…Li-ife…
Wha-oh- Yea-hey…
Garfield couldn't help but sigh heavenly.