Tenchi Muyo Fan Fiction ❯ Cast Seeds ❯ Along the Path ( Chapter 2 )

[ A - All Readers ]
I do not own Tenchi Muyo. If I did, OVA 3 would be drastically different.
Cast Seeds
Section 2: Along the Path

Ayeka's thoughts seldom strayed far from the strange young man that fate had dropped into her life. She watched him, and made sure he ate, helped him to wherever he needed to go. She even assisted him in bathing in the early days of the healing process, there was the small bathroom in the house, of course, but it was too enclosed for two people to be in it at once. He had been in such wonder of the splendors of the onsen, he hadn't been as embarrassed as she was sure he would have been otherwise. She herself could only remember a handful of times that she had blushed so hard or so rosily. When he noticed her red face he had looked concerned and brushed her cheek with his hand, then looked more alarmed when, impossible as it seemed, her color deepened even further.
He seemed to have realized her discomfort and made his trips to the onsen on his own now, albeit slowly and painfully. But he never said that her welfare was his foremost concern the first time he went alone, he didn't think it needed to be said. It would have been simpler, now that he was on his own, to bathe in the house, but the onsen was a wonder he couldn't seem to get enough of.
His body had begun to fill out since then, and he asked her, in the halting, hesitant way in which he spoke, if she might be able to repair his clothing. He had no skill with the needle.
Ayeka looked up from where she was looking over the stained, torn material. And then she changed what she was going to say when she saw the look on his face. It was as though she held in her hands one of the last remnants of his past. She almost felt honored at the trust that he continually showed in her and her abilities.
"I think it can be mended." She said finally, hiding the clothes in her lap. "It will take a while though." She felt something solid and larger than a fastening as she rolled the coat up tighter, and she unfurled it a bit. There, on the breast of the jacket was a pin that was almost, but not quite circular. Into it was subtly carved in relief the figure of what looked like a sinuous dragon. The material from which it was made was glossy and shifted color, much the same as did Tei'rn's hair. The single eye was set with a blue gem. "What is this, Tern?" She asked, and looked up at the man who was suddenly stiffening as he sat across from her.
Tei'rn's face, always a bit pale, was now as white as the winter snows. His eyes were far away, seeing what, on this planet, no one else had ever seen. He saw the day that that badge had been awarded to him. All of their people had gathered at the broad staircase that led down from the large, solid palace where he and his family lived. He had been standing, in his dark uniform of the royal family, his chest thrown out proudly, and his long cloak whipping back in the forceful wind. He had been young then, oh so young and innocent. His father, an older, more solid version of himself, had stepped forward, his face solemn, but his violet eyes pleased. His brothers stood behind him, watching as their father pinned the crest, carved from a scale of a great wyrm, onto his cloak, holding the flowing material away from his heart.
His father had held his fist to his lips then touched his son's heart, right below the scale. Tei'rn had returned the gesture, fist to lips then to his father's heart.
His father had had a wonderful, giving heart, so kind, so strong. He had just not been strong enough to prevent what had happened. He had clasped his son's shoulders then turned him towards the viewing throng. A cheer had been raised, and more salutes had been given, to his brothers and to the people. He saw his sister standing at the other end of the pavilion, and she had smiled at him, though even smiles could not dispel the sadness in her eyes.
He had not been the one who would rule, oh, no, not he. He was instead recognized for his insight and learning, and for the most special of all gifts. Tei'rn could play the wind.
<<Peace for the people!>> He had cried. They had roared in response. "Cho! Hit'ri Chandir ki'sarha!"
"Tern? Tern?" Ai'ka was looking at him in concern, and he managed to smile. He was aware that his face was wet, but could not bring himself to wipe away the tears shed in mourning for the loss of his people. Then he found he could not stop the flood once it had started. He remembered his brothers, his single sister, his nieces, his nephews, his father, and his mother who had died so long ago. All the people whom he had loved. His shoulders heaved, and he sobbed, covering his face with his long, pale hands.
He could feel arms around him, warm and comforting. And he clung to the source of those arms, weeping like a broken child. He reached out blindly, and took the clothing to his chest, still feeling those comforting arms around him. "Tei'rn sorry, Ai'ka. Cho, hit'ri...Chandir...ki'sarha. Kih'sar bindi...Nostire'a..." It was the first time he had allowed himself to really weep, to feel the gargantuan loss. "Cho, vit'ari cho." He sobbed.
Ayeka held him, murmuring comfortingly as he wept and spoke in the tongue she could not begin to understand. She rocked him gently as his tears gradually stopped coursing down his face. She used a corner of her apron to dry his eyes.
"Tei'rn feel like child." He murmured in an ashamed whisper, after he had cried till it seemed as though there were no tears left. He pulled away from her, his eyes downcast.
"There is no shame in weeping." Ayeka told him gently. "I wish you knew the language well enough to tell me what happened. But I know that it must have been a loss beyond all that I have known." She knew this for true the moment she said it. It had to have been something worse than her loss of Yosho, and her loss of Tenchi.
"Ai'ka." She looked down at him at the sound of her name on his lips. He stared up at her with haunted red-rimmed steel-gray eyes. "Tei'rn...planet. Planet gone." He made an expressive gesture with his hands.
Ayeka's hands flew to her mouth to hold in her gasp of horror.
"Cho." He said sadly, fist to lips, then heart.

A few hours later, Tei'rn was back to his usual, gentle, quiet self. Ayeka took him out with her, for he liked to sit and play his strange instrument among the flowers as she worked. This day, like the one before, and the one before that, after a while Ayeka stopped working and came to sit before him. As the soft song faded away, Ayeka asked what he had been playing.
His brow furrowed as he searched for the words. "A song of...child sleep."
"A lullaby." She supplied.
"Lullaby." He repeated carefully. The instrument, now not in conscious use, but still in contact with his flesh, hummed tunelessly. "Ai'ka," he said after a few moments. "You like...hold?" He held the instrument out to her.
"Really?" She asked.
"Yes," He replied, smiling. "Here," He placed it in her hands. "Hold...here, here."
His fingers were soft on hers. She could feel it softly humming, but heard nothing. She looked at him questioningly. "Hold end...mouth." She did so, and a single, true note rang forth, fading in and out, but keeping its tone. "A'tok, very good." He smiled. "Is Ai'ka's...cho'sa...note."
Ayeka moved her hands slightly as she and Tei'rn sat among the flowers. It was what she had seen him do when he played the songs that seemed impossible to generate from the simple instrument. But only that one note sang out, fading and growing. "Tern, why does it play only one note?"
"Ah," He replied, pondering over his words. "Tei'rn only one make sing. All other make one note." He raised his hands, expressing his inability to make any more sense with his limited language skills. "Tei'rn..." He took the instrument back, and it began to sing quietly, he tapped a small lever and the note it had played in Ayeka's hands toned again, this time strong and sure, "make song, Ai'ka song." He said quietly, his soft, deep voice making a harmony to the key of Ayeka's song yet unborn.
"I think," She replied hesitantly, "that I would like that."
...
She would never hear him as he composed her song, taking great care and precision to make every note right. But she knew he worked on it constantly by the way he changed what he was doing every time she walked into the room, looking up at her with an abashed smile. They would take long walks together, he leaning on his bamboo pole as she named the flora and fauna for him.
Kyokki and Yosho would watch the two, their expressions mixed.
"Is it wise," Yosho asked, half to himself, as he and his wife sat on the broad deck, watching Ayeka and Tei'rn walk around the coast. "to allow them to become so attached to one another?"
"Do you disapprove?" Kyokki asked with a wry smile.
"I do not," He replied, stroking an errant lock of hair from her forehead. "I only worry about my father. We have been able to find nothing out about this young man, and it becomes increasingly difficult to keep his presence within our small circle."
"What is it they need to know?" Her tone was disapproving. "He is a gentle young man who has recently been through a terrible trauma. Will they not accept him because his race and parentage are unknown?"
Yosho looked away, his dark violet eyes troubled. "It is a possibility." When he looked back at her Kyokki could see an ancient hurt in his eyes. "Juraians can be despicably prejudiced." He frowned.
She reached out and embraced him, "I will see if I can find out anything that may help." She said gently.
"More mysterious comings and goings?" He commented half-teasingly.
"I cannot share what I may not." She said, averting her eyes. "I wish I could, really."
"I know," He said, kissing her forehead.
"So, what do you think?" She asked, changing tacts.
"About them?" She nodded. He watched them. Ayeka had moderated her pace, walking slowly so that Tei'rn did not have to strain his healing muscles to keep up. He said something, and she answered back with a small laugh. Yosho smiled at his wife. "I think that, his landing here may have been the best thing to happen to Ayeka in a long time. And he, well, time will tell."

Tei'rn would hold long conversations with Sasami as Ayeka sat working on the task that she had taken on. The mending was coming along slowly but surely, but she was glad the material was dark, for the worst of the stains were barely noticeable. She had taken off the pin and given it to Tei'rn. He looked at it for a long moment when she had placed it in his hands, then he gave her a peculiar smile and tucked it in his sleeve.
Ayeka's little sister seemed to have no trouble communicating with Tei'rn, though he spoke in his native tongue and she in hers. Ayeka did not find it unusual. Her little sister was very unusual. Sasami spoke to Tei'rn as though he were an old friend, chatting with him as she brought in clean bandages and water for tending his injuries.
Ayeka would always put down her mending and shoo her little sister out of the room whenever she had to change the man's bandages. He would never wince or cry out as she cleaned his wounds, he would merely look at her, the tenseness of his eyes the only giveaway of the pain she knew he must have been suffering. Sometimes when she left the room she would shed a few tears on the bandages in her arms.
She wished that Washu would return. She knew Washu, more than she, could ease his suffering. Every day Ayeka would pause to knock on the door under the stairs. But it remained dim and unresponsive. She would merely set her face and move on with whatever she was doing.
She liked him very much, and his hurting hurt her. It was strange, how his gentle ways and quiet smile had given him a place in her heart. Although they looked nothing alike, he kind of reminded her of Tenchi. That was also strange, how he had helped to crowd the loss of Tenchi out of her thoughts. Now she was too busy with helping him and spending time with him, reading to him and listening to him make the winds sing, to dwell too much on her grief. The pain was not so intense now, perhaps because it paled so much in comparison with Tei'rn's.
Her hands stilled as she thought on his words, halting, broken. "'Planet...gone.'" It was a thought almost inconceivable to her. The one time she had thought it possible was when Ryoko had breached Jurai's defenses and had embarked on her reign of destruction.
But...her world, her people, all gone? How could such a thing have happened to Tei'rn? And how had he survived? She could not ask him, and would not. She would wait until he told her. She respected him enough to know that he would tell her eventually, but the wound still seemed too fresh. She shook her head, listening with half an ear as Sasami attempted to teach the young man chess, continuing with her needlework.
The next morning after breakfast, as they had fallen into the habit of doing, Tei'rn accompanied Ai'ka into the garden and sat on a tuft of soft grass while she worked around him. He tried to help as much as he could in these times. He could not do the physical labor, not yet, but he absorbed her actions as she worked, seeing how she planted and pruned, storing it away.
Instead he played the winds so that they blew more gently around this garden, leaving the petals longer on the blooms, coaxing the mists to linger just long enough. It was a function of the instrument, and also one of the reasons that he had such a highly respected position in his country. When peace had been restored, he would have been the one to help the winds back onto their natural paths and make the planet flourish again. He had lost that. So now he sat and used his gifts on the little garden and watched Ai'ka.
She was so gentle, he thought, in her every move and word. Sasami had told him of her sometimes fiery temper but he had yet to see it. She reminded him of his sister, though the two of them looked nothing alike. His sister had been one of the youngest of his family of seven, being ten years of age when Tei'rn had been born and their mother had died. She had been gentle and thoughtful, encouraging Tei'rn to take the path he felt chosen for him, the path not of the warrior.
Oh, Tei'rn had been through the training, and had been accounted quite good by his teachers, but they had always felt there was something lacking in him, he had not a fighting spirit, not one in the way of the sword, anyways. He hated sparring and fighting, he, whose purpose was to heal, had often been reduced to frustrated sadness at the futility of their never-ending wars and the training that only served as a constant reminder to the nearly impossible task that awaited him, if, that is, they could stop the destruction long enough for him to try. He would confide his fears to his sister and she had been the one to comfort him.
She had married at the age of twenty-seven, when Tei'rn was accounted to be a man, an early marriage in the minds of their people. And her choice had been surprising. Tei'rn had always felt that she would marry a doctor or an artist, someone with a gentle mindset and soft hands. But she had chosen for herself a soldier, hard-faced and taciturn. Tei'rn had been knocked for a loop. But then...he hadn't been sure what it was at the time, but there was something in their eyes when they looked at one another, something deep and unfathomable. He knew now that it had been love, a deep love, one that he had never known, or had thought to know.
The happiness of his sister and her soldier husband was not to last long, though, for only a year after their marriage, the tenuous cease-fire had been breached and the whole of the world fell into war. Her husband had been called to the field. She had been very quiet during that time, the only thing that could bring a smile to her face had been a certain song Tei'rn would play for her. It was a lullaby she had taught him, which she had, in turn, been taught by their mother. She would give him the little smile he longed to see on her lips, but the darkness never left her eyes.
He knew now that she had known, even before the heartbreaking news had darkened their house again. She knew that their love would not last, her love for her soldier and his for her. Her clear violet eyes had a way of seeing things, things she could not, or would not share with any other. She had seen the moment of his death. She had heard her name in his dying breath. She had known in her soul that she would not be long in following him.
The last time Tei'rn had spoken to her she had said something odd. She had said in her quiet, lost, way as he had held her hand, "You alone have a future, my hig'nu. The rest of us are lost in the darkness, you have a light waiting for you. Go to it. Go to it and do not get lost in what had to happen, do not be like me, my hig'nu." Her pet name for him meant tiny seed, but one that grows where nothing else can.
It was strange, he thought, as he spilled forth a trill of gleeful notes for Ai'ka's benefit, seeing her turn and give him a small smile. When he had first come here he had seen a look much like the one in his sister's eyes in Ai'ka's. But now, the shadow was there less and less. Ai'ka came and sat before him, in what was his favorite part of the day, and he felt tenderness welling in his heart as she sat near to him and listened as he played his mother's, his sister's lullaby for her.
More days passed as his strength returned. He would always bear the scars of his experience, though, both internal and external. One fine, cool day he was sitting on the deck of the house, watching Sasami as she looked up into the skies.
"Za'za'mi, what you look for in sky?" He asked curiously, fingering the small triangular scar in his long ear where the cartilage had been cut away. She turned to him, a smile on her face.
"Mihoshi and Aidar are coming back some time today. Which reminds me." She walked over and took his arm, drawing him up from his seated position and propelling him towards the house. "It might be safer to be inside when they come."
"Why that?" He asked. Now feeling a tad bit apprehensive as he looked at the clear blue sky. He had been told of the other inhabitants of the house, but with the exception of Noboyuki, who spent most of his time in the city where he worked, he had yet to meet any of them.
"You'll see." What he could not see was her grimace behind his back. "Her landings always tend to be a bit...explosive."
As he settled on the couch Ayeka entered the room, a neatly folded bundle of clothing in her arms. He looked up at her, seeing the smile on her face. "Ai'ka?"
"I've finished them, Tern." She deposited the bundle in his arms. "As good as new as they can be."
Tei'rn's face showed his excitement. He stood up, much more quickly than he could have when he had given them to her. His gray eyes shone like polished steel. "I put them on?"
"If you would like to." The elder princess replied in a supportive tone. She smiled at his retreating back as he moved quickly out of the room, though the curve of her lips fell slightly at the sight of him limping heavily with the effort of putting weight on the leg which so recently had had the cast removed. She was really looking forward to the sight of him in the clothes from his planet, not that the clothing he had borrowed from her brother did not suit him nicely. Sasami entered the room and took a look around, seeing Ayeka seated patiently on the couch.
"Where did Tei'rn go?" She inquired of her sister.
Ayeka turned around, and her sister had to hide a smile at the happy expression on her face. "I finished mending his clothing. He's going to put it on right now."
"How exciting!" Sasami exclaimed, clapping her hands together. "I bet he looks so handsome." She added slyly. Ayeka shrugged, but Sasami noticed she turned quickly around so her sister could not see her expression. She liked Tei'rn very much, and she liked the way he looked tenderly at her elder sister. Ayeka seemed to be oblivious of it, though. She wondered what was going on in her sister's mind lately, she was even harder to read than normal.
It wasn't long before Tei'rn returned. He paused a few moments outside the door leading in from the hall to the living room. He felt strange now that he was back in the clothes he had worn since he was an adolescent. They seemed better than they had been when he wore them in the ship, traveling to the destination which at that time was unknown.
He stood up straight, content that he could now do so with only the smallest twinge of pain from a few of his injuries. They were healing well, in fact, most were already healed, though his leg still gave him trouble. Even the gashes on his face had vanished, where he had been sure that they would scar.
He tossed his head to throw his long braid back over his shoulder and took a few deep breaths. He found himself anticipating Ayeka's reaction. He smiled nervously, hoping she found him handsome. He was no judge of his own appearance, though some had called him so. But all he knew was that Ayeka was beautiful, very beautiful. He wondered if she would be offended if he ever told her that.
He gulped and moved around the doorjamb, the nervous smile still on his face. He was gratified by the look on Ayeka's face, a broad appreciative smile. Sasami clapped her hands and laughed in delight.
"You look so handsome Tei'rn!" She exclaimed.
Ayeka was quiet. She knew what the clothes looked like, but she had never seen him in them but for those few moments when her brother and his wife had taken him from the broken shell of his ship. Now he looked even taller than she remembered, and she doubted the top of her head would reach his shoulder. The dark blue, almost black material had a soft shine to it. The front of his uniform was a solid panel that fastened on the left side of his chest, the short collar was stiff and the long sleeves just brushed the back of his hands. The jacket was fitted to his waist, then was connected to a long cape, lined in red, that was open in the front and swirled around his ankles as he moved. This was over long slacks of the same material as the jacket. His feet were still shod in the sandals that Yosho had given him, his boots had been unsalvageable. He looked almost princely. As he moved towards them, only his heavy limp betrayed that he had ever been through a crash. Sasami was right, he was very handsome.
She stood as he approached, her smile lighting up her face. "They look wonderful on you, really suit you."
"Thank you, Ai'ka." He grinned. "There...one thing..." He reached into a pocket and produced the badge she had given him. "Ai'ka, you would?"
She stepped forward and took it from him, standing close and pinning it where his gesture indicated. She stood close so she could not see the tender look he directed at the top of her head. She stepped back and looked up at him, then was suddenly breathless at the intense look in his silver eyes. She smiled hesitantly, compelled by that calm stare.
"Ai'ka" He murmured, taking her hand gently and kissing it, then holding it to his heart. "Cho."
Ayeka was rendered speechless. She was experiencing feelings she had not had in some time. She heard Sasami try to stifle a giggle behind her and the spell was broken. She looked away, and he released her hand. He was greatly encouraged by her reaction, though.
"Oh, my." The voice came from the doorway. Ayeka turned and saw Mihoshi standing there. The blond detective's hands were pressed to her flaming cheeks and her large blue eyes were wide and shining. She squeaked excitedly, and moved into the room. "I'm so embarrassed!" Ayeka could see Aidar behind her, moving as quietly and gracefully as ever. One could never tell what he was thinking from his pale face surrounded by a long mane of midnight blue hair, drawn conservatively back and tied. She almost could see a small smile playing around his mouth and jumped back from Tei'rn, blushing.
Tei'rn himself looked nervous. He was unused to people other than the small group who lived around the Masaki shrine. He moved slightly behind Ayeka as Sasami ran forward to clasp the blond detective in a hug, then gave Aidar a squeeze, who returned it, again with that small smile playing around the edges of his mouth. He glanced up, first at Mihoshi, then at the other occupants of the room. Aidar didn't talk much.
"Ayeka! Who is this, then? You two seem friendly." Mihoshi supplied for him, herself curious.
Ayeka glanced at Tei'rn, who looked at her nervously. Then he cleared his throat and straightened his back, his face assuming a friendly and almost lordly expression, though not one intended to intimidate. He walked around the purple-haired woman, a smile on his face. "I called Tei'rn." He said.
"I'm Lieutenant Mihoshi," the blond said, snapping a quick salute. "And this is Major Aidar," She indicated the man standing behind her. "You speak strangely, don't you have a translator?"
"Translator?" He inquired, his brow furrowing. "What that?"
"You know, it's a little device that changes your words so they can be understood. It's so you don't have to learn a new language every time you go to a new planet."
"Tei'rn know not."
Ayeka jumped in, "We tried to get one, but we didn't have any, and for some reason we weren't able to get into contact with someone who could get us one."
"Washu isn't back, then?" Aidar said softly.
Mihoshi was staring at Tei'rn still. And Ayeka spoke to her just so she would stop looking at Tei'rn like that, feeling a little jealous. "No, not yet. Come to think of it, you two were gone longer than expected. Did something happen?"
Mihoshi's attention snapped back to the elder princess. "Lieutenant Mihoshi reporting, your highness," She said with another salute, standing at attention. "Lieutenant Mihoshi and her partner Major Aidar were summoned to an uncharted sector of space to investigate some unusual galactic activity. It was discovered that that section of space had contained a planet, C-class, which for reasons unknown suffered a major catastrophe which resulted in its explosion.
"Unfortunately there was not enough of the planet left to make any assumptions as to the circumstances." She relaxed. "That is a summary of the report. Aidar's been helping me with them." She grinned ingenuously, "I never have been good at being brief."
"A planet that had exploded." Ayeka said slowly.
"Yes, evidence suggests it happened approximately eight galactic years ago." Mihoshi supplied. Then she proceeded to give the coordinates.
Ayeka turned to Tei'rn to find him looking at her seriously. "Tern?" She asked. His eyes were sad as he looked at her a brief jerk of his head showing his confirmation of her suspicions.
"Do you know something?" Aidar asked quietly.
"Planet...planet name," He gulped and closed his eyes, turning his face towards the ceiling. "Seta'ka." He opened his eyes, and looked at them, "Seta'ka...Tei'rn home."
...
Later, when Sasami had served them some cookies, and Yosho and Kyokki had come down from the temple, surprised that there had been no explosion to announce the blonde GP officer's arrival, they all settled down, and Tei'rn prepared to tell them all he knew, hoping that his language skills would be sufficient.
Tei'rn took a deep breath, taking one more glance around the expectant faces before launching into his tale.
"I tell from Tei'rn experience. Tei'rn birth year, I do no know how say, is different. Year, three hundreds, eighty-nine day, day fifty and eight hour. Tei'rn live 34 year on planet. Tei'rn spend two year in space."
"So you are really 144 years old by our standards." Yosho said quietly. "Since for us it happened eight years ago." Tei'rn nodded doubtfully.
"How long do your people live?" Kyokki asked.
"Think nine of hundred, ten of hundred. Sometime longer, if not killed. Tei'rn still not old for long time." He smiled sadly. "There big trouble on planet. Happen before Tei'rn...born. Much war, many war. Hurt planet. Make hard to live, little fuel, little food, bad air...hard to find water to drink. That trouble, no water not good...no children, no marry."
"Why would that keep people from getting married?" Ayeka asked curiously.
Inexplicably Tei'rn blushed. "Water need for...date, no, for show of wish to wed. Woman, or man, find water, fresh clean. Unbind, wash other hair, braid for..." He struggled to explain. "Show affection, intention. If other keep hair like left by other...they married." He didn't think he was making himself too clear. It frustrated him. How could he explain the difficulty of obtaining such water, the tenderness with which a woman or man would unbind and wash the hair of the one they loved. How they would wait, scared and hopeful, to see if, after the waiting period, their hair remained as they had left it. If not separated by circumstances beyond their control, they would not bind their own hair ever again once they were wed. It was duty and love with which the married couple would bind each other's hair each morning. It was something beautiful, something lost.
He threw up his hands at his inability to explain, though he hoped that most had gotten the gist of it.
"What about the wars?" Yosho prodded gently. Tei'rn looked at him in silent thanks.
"Finally see that they killing selves. Try to stop. Is stop year Tei'rn born." He paused, "Is why stop. Tei'rn a...hope. Tei'rn wind-player, not had wind-player many many year. Tei'rn family important, make law, rules, try keep peace. Father smart, was...one who try to hold peace...brothers, sister... They see hope. Some begin to look stars, try find new place, not want wait for winds. Build ships, but ships abandoned, never leave ground."
He stopped and took a few deep breaths, fighting down his grief. The others held the questions broiling in their minds, not wanting to distract him from his story. It was difficult enough for him, they understood, to translate his thoughts from his own language.
"Some tire wait, other important. War start when Tei'rn twenty-three. Many life lost, family lost...some, brother, husband of sister. Father, grow old before eyes. Last many year. When Tei'rn has thirty-four year, he get..." he groped for the word, "impulse...to take ship. Short trip. Take off, no problem, around moon, back. Want see planet from above, see what I work to save... Come around moon..." He had to stop then, to try and keep in the tears. "Know not happen. But...Tei'rn could not go back. Got away ahead of...wave. Not know where go, not know what do to ship. Travel long way."
When she saw that Tei'rn was done with his story Mihoshi spoke up. "Do you know what could have caused the explosion?"
He shook his head. "Not know. Maybe weapon of others, go wrong." He bowed his head. "Only glad happened quick, not more suffer." Ayeka laid a hand on his arm and he looked at her gratefully as he covered it with his own. "Only Tei'rn suffer, for planet."
...
Things changed as the season turned. Tei'rn was fascinated by the changing of the leaves and the light dusting of first snow. Ayeka found him that morning, standing outside in his warm coat that she had purchased for him. He was staring up at the sky, a look of child-like wonder in his eyes, watching the tiny flakes drift down.
She smiled at his awe, still amazed after he had told her that there had no longer been seasons on his planet by the time it was destroyed. He knew nothing about winter or spring or autumn. His planet had been in summer, always. She walked over to him, taking his arm with easy familiarity as he covered her fingers with his own. They both stood, staring up at the brooding sky. Though neither ever said anything about it, a sort of affection had arisen between the two, a gentle affection that required no words.
Ayeka was cautious about it, holding back, worried that once again she would not be enough, not have enough within her to be loved. That was the way she thought of it. There had to be something wrong with her, something that made her unlovable. She had no good examples to choose from. The people of her planet had always seen her as cold and distant, as one who would be their future ruler, and therefore untouchable.
Not only that but also her love for Yosho had kept her from forming any other lasting bonds. They knew she was intended to marry the crown prince, sealing the monarchy. But there was also something lacking in that relationship, something she was too young to be aware of at the time. He had loved her, in his way, but it had been no more than a brotherly love, a sad love. He knew that she would never be satisfied with a love like his, she deserved more. Oh, she would never had said anything, and would have loved him in a way that was not returned, but she would not have known the depth of love. Yosho knew that there could be something more, and he had found it, but not in Ayeka.
Ayeka had not known, she had thought that he had loved her in the manner she had loved him, but he had found her lacking in some way. She did not know that he had felt the lack was within himself.
Then there was Tenchi. When she was around him she thought she had finally found what love was. But she had been wrong again. And she had not even known that she had been wrong until the moment that Tenchi and Ryoko had gone. Perhaps he had been trying to spare her feelings by doing it the way he did. Perhaps he had been trying, but that had not made the hurt any less.
And now there was Tei'rn. She glanced up at him, seeing the falling crystals reflected in the polished silver of his eyes. He looked down at her and smiled. And she smiled back up at him for a moment before leading him back inside. She left him in the living room, sitting upon the floor and peering out the window, while she went to make some tea to warm them both up. Sasami came in a few moments later, removing her shoes and shaking the snow off of her hood.
"Good morning, Tei'rn." She said, smiling as she set the package she had carried in on the table. "Did you sleep well?"
"Yes, Za'za'mi." He said, turning from the window to smile at her. "But I woke up even better. This...snow...is very pretty." He stood, his leg was bothering him a bit more this morning than usual. "It is different, but nice. What was this, season, called, again?"
"It's winter." Sasami told him. "The month of December to be exact." She smiled a secretive smile. "It's a month of celebration."
"Celebration of what?" He asked curiously.
"On the twenty-fifth day of the month, everyone exchanges presents and we eat good food, and put up a tree and decorate the whole house." Her eyes glowed with excitement. "It's my very favorite time of year."
"But I..." He frowned. "Have no to give." He thought about it as Sasami picked her package back up and moved up the stairs. He got up and moved around the room, liking his reacquired freedom of mobility. He owed so much to all the people of this place, not the least of which for his own life. But the one he felt indebted to the most was Ai'ka, for her patience with him, and her care.
He thought, absently brushing his forelock out of his eyes. Finally he straightened, a brilliant smile flashing across his face. He would give Ai'ka her song! He had completed it some time ago, but hadn't found just the right moment to give it to her. Now he just had to figure out what to do for the others.
...
After they had had their tea, Ayeka and Tei'rn headed off on whatever tasks they had to do that day. Tei'rn walked up to the shrine to have his daily chat with Yosho, and, since he had returned, Aidar. Aidar never did say much, but when he did speak, his insights were deep and impressive, even to Tei'rn, who still had troubles with the language. They spoke of his training and of his family, what they, as the rulers of the majority of his planet, had tried to do to stop the fighting, as unsuccessful as it was.
Yosho could see that Tei'rn had been well trained in a variety of subjects. As well as he could tell, with deciphering the young man's halting manner of talking, he had been well grounded in politics and strategy. He could also tell, now that the man was moving around on his own, that there was something in his stance that indicated combat training at some point, though to what level he could not ascertain. He longed to put the young man through his paces and see the style of training that he had received, but he knew that Tei'rn had not fully recovered.
As the priest had gotten to know the young man further he had developed a respect for him. He was impressed by the man's acknowledgement of his own limitations and his striving to correct them. Often he would ask the priest about the culture of the planet on which he had made his home and had listened attentively to his answers. But Yosho knew, first and foremost, that Tei'rn was a man of his native planet, and though their cultures were largely compatible, he would always judge himself by their standards, which appeared to have been quite high.
Tei'rn was also very straightforward with his answers to any questions about his home that Yosho would ask. Yosho understood that he was trying to keep the memory of his home alive, and, as he recounted the answers, he was renewing them for himself as well.
This day their conversation had turned to that of religion. After Yosho had explained to the young man the precepts of Shintoism, he seemed very eager to tell about the faith of the people of his own planet.
The three of them, Tei'rn, Yosho and Aidar, were seated around the table in Yosho's office. Yosho kneeling, Aidar sitting cross-legged and Tei'rn, who, with the cold weather, was feeling some stiffness in the leg that had been broken, had his legs stretched out to the side for comfort, they drank tea with varying degrees of sweetness.
"Beginning in dark, there were some who took the dark and made light and...substance." Tei'rn was saying. "These were 'Those Who Spun.' No names they had but that. From substance they make, 'Those Who Weave.' These are Ones who take other substance and make stars and planets, people, elements. 'Those Who Weave' remain, and 'Those Who Spun' went on to other places to spin more, it is said." He made a small face and took a sip of his extremely sweet tea.
"Those who wove Seta'ka were four. There was Weaver of earth, air, water and fire. Each Weaver had own followers. They build temples and have priests and woman priests. Tei'rn's brother, Mev'ln, very practical, were priest of Earth, Son'ar, his name." He paused again at this, and Yosho assumed he was thinking of his brother, whose name had sounded like nothing more that a slur beginning with 'm'. He glanced at Aidar, who had been listening closely, his eyes piercing. Now the Kellian was looking out the window, a thoughtful look on his face.
"Sonnar was the name of the earth god." Yosho said slowly. "What were the other three?"
"Is lucky," Tei'rn said after a moment, the smile on his face belying the sadness in his silver eyes. "That I explain. Most of my people only know the name of one god, tied to the element of the one Weaver. Tei'rn know all." He scratched at one long, pointed ear with a rueful grimace. "I not ap-appreciate at time, so many things to know and read. The wind-player need to be known to all elements." He sighed and shook his head. "Not just wind. Sister, Kist'ry was child of wind, seer of far off places, and brother Den'n, artist and cheerful. Zei'zon Weaver's name." He had to compose himself, very briefly, but not quickly enough for his distress to escape notice. Yosho thought of recanting his question, but the young man was already going on. "He pale with long blue hair like a ...raincloud and dark blue eyes like sky after the suns set."
"Pel'ln and Ser'da, soldier brothers, both children of Ky'oi. She the weaver of fire, and bravery. They say she temperamental, like element. Bright hair like the red suns and eyes like sky at brightest part of day."
"Kyoie." Yosho mused. For some reason the name and description filled him with an awful sense that he was missing something.
"The last Weaver, Zu'nmi, Gil'rn follow her. Goddess of Water and wisdom. She..." He trailed off at the strange look that crossed Yosho's face.
"Zunami..." he muttered in an equally strange tone of voice. "Tsunami."
"You feel fine?" Tei'rn asked in concern. He glanced at Aidar, and noticed that his dark eyes were narrowed, as though he were seeing something he didn't particularly like. "What I say?"
"Tsunami." Yosho repeated.
"Yes?" Tei'rn asked in confusion.
"She is the goddess of the Juraian empire." He said quietly. "And now I think I know what was behind that impulse of yours."
...
Tei'rn did not go back to the main house right away. He needed to take some time and think, think of what Yosho had said, and the implications of Tei'rn's goddess and his being the same. Yosho's goddess, Ayeka's and Sasami's. He didn't know quite what to make of it all. But the descriptions had matched too closely for it to be a coincidence, her appearance, her elements.
He pondered what he had learned that day as he made his way to the tree that Yosho had said held a piece of Tsunami's spirit. It was a constant wonder to him. The only trees that had remained on his planet, had been the ones that were as stone, old and dead long before many of Tei'rn's ancestors had drawn their first breaths. And this tree... He could, from the first time he had seen it, sense that there was something special about it, something he should know about. Now, as he stood before it, watching the cold breeze ruffle the leaves and whip away the scent of the flowers, he knew why.
He reached into his sleeve and pulled out his strange instrument, caressing the smooth wood carefully and with a contemplative hand. It hummed tunelessly as it always did when he was holding it but not consciously using it. He closed his eyes. Yes, there it was, a reverberation. He had wondered why, while playing near this spot his music had seemed richer, and fuller.
Tei'rn closed his eyes and lifted the instrument to his lips, blowing a questioning note. It echoed back at him, to his surprise, carrying an answer.
"It is a piece of me."
His eyes flew open at the sound of the voice, but there was no one there. "Zu'nmi?"
"Yes."
"Why?"
"You are a piece of me as well." The voice sighed, seeming to be carried in the wind ruffling the surface of the water. "Many ages ago, the Bifuukoe was carved from one of my many branches. And I am the mother of this tree and many others." The voice in the wind caressed his hair, seeming warmer than it had been a moment before. "It was an attempt, even long before it was needed, to forestall what would happen."
"The destruction of my planet, my PEOPLE!?" Angry words in his native tongue tumbled from his lips.
"I could not save them."
"Then what good is it?" Even though his voice was harsh, he cradled the instrument carefully against his chest.
"I saved you." The voice whispered, then it was silent, and the breeze chilled once again.
Tei'rn was shocked to stillness. He remained that way for a long time before turning and making his way back down to where warmth and voices awaited him, suddenly hungry for company.
...
Another week passed and Tei'rn suddenly found the house a flurry of unfamiliar activity. He thought the ribbons that were suddenly everywhere, in a bright red, were nice enough, but they served no purpose that he could see, and he had to constantly rebuff Sasami's requests that he wear a strange green hat that jingled. Whatever a Christmas elf was, or how adorable she thought he would be wearing the thing, it was a completely ridiculous notion.
He nearly was overcome with horror on the day that they carried a butchered tree in from the outdoors. Ayeka found him, as she was returning with a box of ornaments, gently caressing the green needled branches and making sad little sounds deep in his throat.
After that he regarded the whole preparations for the holiday called Christmas with narrowed and suspicious eyes. Were they going to cut down more trees? What was the purpose of decorating the poor thing, anyway? And the thing that really got him was that they were so ok'run cheerful about the whole activity.
The only bright point, so far as he saw, was that a lot of the dishes that Sasami was preparing contained copious amount of sugar. Things she called cookies, and cakes and puddings. He couldn't stop himself from begging for little tastes from the bowls or spoons. Luckily, Sasami was usually accommodating, even if he refused to wear that silly hat.
Finally, the house was all decorated and the inhabitants, most of them, were seemingly brimming over with what they called 'Christmas Spirit.' The night before the dawn of the day called 'Christmas' they all went to bed at a rather unseemly hour, having enjoyed much early celebration that Tei'rn had enjoyed, though it was somewhat dampened by his still not understanding why the tree had to be cut down.
Tei'rn had prepared his gifts early, he was unused to even such a thing as giving a gift on a specific day. In his culture, when someone wanted to give you something they would do so at any time of any day, sometimes taking great pleasure in doing so at odd hours or inopportune times. His brother Den'n, the joker, had been known for his timing. But he also was generous with his gifts. Den'n had been one of Tei'rn closest kin, and one of his favorite brothers.
As a consequence to his being prepared early, though he could hear with his sensitive ears the sounds of furtive movement in the halls and downstairs from his room, he himself had nothing to do to while away his hours in the darkness. They were keeping him awake, but he couldn't bring himself to complain. They were, after all, his family now.
Thoughts of his new family inevitably brought on thoughts of his kin, of Den'n and Kist'ry, who he thought would enjoy this strange event called a holiday. He thought of serious Pel'n, who would take the whole thing even worse than Tei'rn himself was. Of Ser'da, the great captain general, whom Pel'n has always looked up to. Of Mev'ln and Gil'rn, who took responsibility above all else. And of his father.
Tei'rn sighed and turned on the soft bed, pulling his blankets up around his neck. He missed them. He missed them all, even Mev'ln, whom he had never really gotten along with. He had rarely been overcome with such a feeling of homesickness, but now, with all the strange activities going on, he missed his family around him, missed the familiar smooth walls of his home. He missed the twin red suns that reminded him of Ai'ka's eyes.
Ai'ka's eyes. Tei'rn's feelings of displacement faded at the thought of the woman who had become such a pivotal part of his whole life. As long as he had Ai'ka's eyes, home would not feel quite so lost to him.
As he finally found the realms of slumber, it seemed to him that he heard his sister's voice, 'Yes, my hig'nu. That's the way.'
...
Tei'rn woke bright and early, thanks, for the most part, to Sasami rapping on his door and announcing, "Wake up, it's Christmas!"
He got dressed hurriedly, as haste seemed to be in order, and headed down the stairs to find everyone seated at the table waiting to begin breakfast. He lowered himself down carefully and joined them, deciding that, whatever this holiday might be, to have produced such smiles and glowing faces on those around him, it could not be bad.
Soon enough, breakfast was over and they gathered around the tree. Ayeka had not been oblivious to Tei'rn's mixed feelings concerning the holiday, and had guessed, rightly, that it was just very unfamiliar to him. As a result, she seated herself next to him, taking his hand and squeezing it gently while Sasami played Santa.
Tei'rn turned to her as the first round of presents were passed out. "The tree produces gifts?"
She couldn't help but laugh, but at his expression of confusion she stifled it quickly and squeezed his hand again. "No, we put our presents under the tree last night."
He suddenly looked chagrined and stood quickly. "Tei'rn will be right back." Then he moved up the stairs as quickly as he could.
Ayeka watched him go even as she absentmindedly accepted a brightly wrapped gift from Sasami.
Tei'rn returned a few minutes later, juggling several items in his arms, making his way carefully down the stairs to rejoin them. He settled on the couch next to Ayeka, who still held the gift she had accepted from Sasami, as they had all waited upon his return to begin.
"You did not need to wait." Tei'rn told them with a self-conscious smile.
"Nonsense." Sasami said with a large smile. "We wouldn't think of beginning Christmas without everyone here." She pursed her lips, suddenly silent, and Tei'rn wondered what she was thinking about. Then the grin returned as abruptly as it had left. "I'm so excited!" She looked at the items contained in Tei'rn's arms. "Do you want to go first?"
"I distribute?" He asked, as all those who already had gifts in their hands set them aside and looked on in anticipation and curiosity. Sasami nodded emphatically. "I...yes."
He set the bulk of the items that he had carried on the empty space beside himself, and took out one, holding it outstretched as he stood, approaching Sasami, who had settled on the floor. "In the name and further...ance of peace, which is starts between two and spreads to more, Tei'rn offer this gift to one called Za'za'mi, in goodness of heart and spirit." He held the item out to her, "I did not know to enclose it in paper."
She accepted his offering with a cry of pleasure. He had crafted her gift keeping in mind that she had once expressed her desire for her sister's headpiece. He thought she may have been trying to persuade him to get it for her, but had pretended ignorance. It was similar, if not quite as intricate, to the headband that graced Ayeka's pale forehead. Sasami immediately put it on, running her delicate hands over the smooth, seamless curves.
"It's perfect," She cried rapturously.
"Is small thing." He shrugged. "Brother was better."
"How did you make it?" Kyokki asked curiously.
"Tei'rn used..." He couldn't quite get his mind to accept the name Tsunami had given it, "wind-player, to ask the tree for its gift. I did same for others, earth, and water, wind. Gives of Earth, since Tei'rn had no...money." Noboyuki had offered him some funds to go Christmas shopping, but he had refused politely.
"Amazing." Aidar murmured.
"Yes, very much so." Kyokki agreed.
Tei'rn distributed the rest of his gifts, making the same little speech at the presentation of each. To Yosho and Kyokki he gave matching pendants of a polished golden stone, perfect orbs suspended from cords. Kyokki had a delighted look in her eyes and told him she thought there was something she would find it useful for.
To Mihoshi he gave a bracelet that matched her robin's egg blue eyes, and for Aidar was a clasp to catch his hair at the back of his neck. To Noboyuki he gave a rock to weight down papers, its shape suggested the form of his house. That left him finally facing Ayeka, one more gift in his hands, a tiny ring.
She accepted it gratefully, murmuring over the intricacy of the carvings, which looked like the vines of climbing roses. As with everything he had given, it seemed as though it had been formed by the patience of wind and water rather than human intention. Slipping it on her finger, she examined it, then blushed and moved it to the other hand. Tei'rn wondered why.
"Tei'rn, it's beautiful, I thank you." She smiled, looking up at him. He was still standing, looking down at her with a slightly nervous expression. "Ai'ka...there one more thing, Tei'rn have..." He reached in his shirt.
"We're home!" An unfamiliar voice proclaimed, accompanied by a gust of cold air as the door was opened.
Tei'rn turned, seeking the source of this new voice, and he saw a young man with dark, spiky hair, a woman with hair the color of water standing...no...floating behind him. Could this be the Ten'ki and Ro'ko the others had spoken of?
"We're home for Christmas." The young man said.
Tei'rn turned quickly to Ayeka, who was staring past him at the young man and the floating woman. Her eyes...that look was back, the lost look he had thought was gone for good.
"Ten...chi."