Tenchi Muyo Fan Fiction ❯ Paper Lanterns ❯ "Z" ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 3: "Z"

Deep within the boundless reaches of space in an alternate dimension, on a planet very similar to Earth, a young man tends to his small garden. This dark haired boy lovingly tends to the small seedlings he has raised.

"There, now enjoy your new home." He smiles as he transfers the new plant from its small pot to the fertile ground of his planet, Mirai.

The sun was high overhead, and beads of perspiration dotted his kind brow. It was a glorious day, one he could take this precious time to tend to his flora without worrying about his obligations. Without thinking about the growing military fleet waiting for his command. Without the regiments of militia ready to begin their quest at the urging of their Goddess. No, this small act of gardening would help him center his thoughts so that he could face the impending task at hand, a task that has been prophesized for millennia and he, himself chosen by the Goddess to carry out his peoples' destiny-a destiny he was not entirely sure of.

"Zephr." The soft voice resonated through his mind like the sound of water rushing through a mountain stream.

"Zephr."

The boy instantly falls to his knees. He is overcome by emotion as the Goddess chooses this moment to bless him with her wisdom.

"My lady."

"Zephr. Our enemies have made the first strike earlier than expected. It is time to lead our ships to gain their power sources before our attack."

The boy raised his bowed head slowly, afraid he would be struck down by gazing at the Goddess. She allowed him to see her this time. She wore a flowing blue robe trimmed in gold and pale streamers flew about her. Bright green leaves seemed to enveloped her garment and frame her beautiful face. She lovingly knelt down and caressed his face.

"Lady Tokimi."

"You are my warrior, Zephr. It is time to lead our people to victory."

"Of course, but…"

"But what?"

"Forgive me, but everything is so peaceful here, who is our enemy and what can they possibly do to us?

The Goddess snarled in anger and stood erect over the young man. The clouds grew dark and thunder echoed through the distance.

"You dare to question my will? Am I not sovereign of your people. Have I not provided their needs and maintained peace here for the ages? Have I not allowed you to flourish technologically? Are you not the masters of your space? Why do you question me know when I ask you for help after I have been the one to provide?"

"Lady, please forgive me, I just do not feel worthy of the task you have for me. I, I am just a farm boy."

Tokimi glared down on him. Bright sparks of energy grew around her hands and bathed the ground in electricity. She thrust back her left arm and slung this pent up power upon the boy, knocking him to the ground writhing in electrical pain.

"This is why I have chosen you!"

As he screamed in pain a bright, white light enveloped him, blocking out the sparks. Quiet now, he stood to face the Goddess. Before him in luminous fans of light are five wings of the light hawk. Like five propellers of light, these wings rotate before him. As he passes through them his work clothes change into brilliant garments of flowing white. On his forehead rests a green-glowing emblem in the shape of a half moon.

"I am to use my power and die for you, aren't I, Lady Tokimi?"

"Yes. The power of the light hawk is the strongest in you of all of your people, people I created for this purpose. People who will return and flourish if you succeed."

"And If I fail?"

"I will crush this planet and all the planets I have allowed your people to inhabit until there remains not one soul."

"Then I will not fail." As he spoke, he raised his right hand and squeezed. A bright red spark grew into a brilliant red sword of light. As it does, his garments turn from glowing white to black.

The Goddess smiled.

"Good, I will lead your ships to leave this dimension. You will contact the militia."

She disappeared.

The boy sank to the ground, his warriors garment has vanished and he rests back in his grubby work clothes.

"Uncle!" he yells toward the house. "Uncle!"

An old and wise looking man rushes out of the house toward the garden.

"Yes?"

"Prepare my ship and call in the generals. We are about to begin." He slumps down and grabs a piece of the cool soil. He squeezes it in his hand and lowers his head. A single tear drops onto the soil below.

"Go!" He yells to his uncle as he still clutches the soil. He knows it may be the last time he feels his planet beneath his feet.