Tenchi Muyo Fan Fiction ❯ Three Gems of the Light Hawk ❯ Chapter One ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
A/N Tenchi Muyo! is owned by AIC and Pioneer and not by me. (ending dry and dull disclaimer)

The ideas in this story are mine though and if you'd like to use or borrow them, contact me first at ring_princess@hotmail.com or ring_princess2001@yahoo.com

Note: Three Gems of the Light Hawk is a complete alternate universe, similiarities may include characters, places and a few events that ended differently, please keep that in mind as you read. Thanks to DaTexan and JohnnyG for betaing.

Note: This story has been inspired and helped by a few different sources, one of them is Odyssey by William "Thundergod" Nichols and The Pirates of the Carribean: Curse of the Black Pearl (although I did have the idea before that movie came out) I hope you enjoy the story.

Three Gems of the Light Hawk
Chapter One
By RingPrincess

The Souja's primary deck was wide and open. To the casual observer it was a study of wasted space, where in a ship space was a precious commodity. It held no obvious navigation, communication or other control systems. The edges were bathed in shadow, giving the impression one could walk from the gray slate deck into the sea of stars. An ever changing space vista was the room's only true adornment. Tall alabaster pillars and the small raised circular platform three quarters of the way into the room were more functional than aesthetically pleasing. A spot of light shone down directly upon the platform, highlighting the beautiful woman standing there.

The woman's shock of bright red pink hair was a sharp contrast to the muted room. Her abundant figure and vivid green eyes created an instant center of attention. She was a woman who would draw everyone's eye as she walked from her fine looks and force of personality.

She frowned, her brows knitting together.

"This is blackmail, Emperor Azusa." Only standing on the platform one could see a holo of a broad and intimidating man. His long hair and beard a charcoal black. He wore formal robes in dark colors mainly navy and green which added to his presence. He was not a man used to being called on such things or being thwarted from doing them.

"Jurai needs you, Professor Hakubi." He tried a new angle.

Professor Hakubi made a chopping motion with her hands. "Cut the bullshit Emperor. I am just Washu Hakubi now. You noble houses saw to that."

Azusa stared at her. "You will do this."

"And you will pay the usual fees."

"Preposterous," Emperor Azusa exploded, eye twitching.

"Then it has been a pleasure speaking with you," Washu said serenely.

"Wait!" Azusa stopped her from cutting the signal. "Please, Washu. I shall do everything in my power to get you what you want."

Washu paused and looked away. "I doubt you could get me everything I want," she murmured. Her elegant face in profile, she smiled as she saw two heads leaning together in the deeper shadows. "Yet, I could settle for everything I want within reason," her eyebrow quirked. She could barely hear the two whispering.

"Mom's pissed," one whispered.

"Quiet Minagi, I want to hear what's going on," the other growled.

Minagi blinked. "Wouldn't you be pissed though, Ryoko?"

"Yep," Ryoko shrank back as she noticed their mother watching. She lowered her voice even more. "You think it might be Jurai calling?"

Minagi nodded. "Who else could get mom so angry. Didn't they…"

"Shh," Ryoko hissed

Washu turned back to Azusa, the spikes framing her face looking startlingly like a crap. "You will pay the usual rate, Emperor Azusa and give me what I want within reason." She finished in a tone that was honed by years of motherhood.

Azusa began to sweat, "Washu."

"The Hakubi family is professional. The rate is not exurbanite for what you are getting, Azusa. You also said you could get me what I wanted," Washu snapped.

Azusa's shoulders sagged for a moment, "Very well, Washu Hakubi. I shall stand by my word."

Washu nodded, not letting her inner thoughts be betrayed by her face. "I am glad we are agreed."

Emperor Azusa's image flicked off and Washu snickered. 'Gone to sulk,' she thought. "You can come out now," she tossed over her shoulder to Ryoko and Minagi.

Her daughters loped from the shadows. They had the same medium length spiky cyan hair, generous figures and glowing amber cat eyes. There were few ways to tell the twins apart besides dress. Minagi had crescent shaped tattoos on her cheeks. Then there were their swords and their attitudes.

"Jurai… no, Azusa, huh," Ryoko snorted.

Washu didn't bother to figure out how the twins knew. . "He won't say anything about the job until we get there," she shrugged. "But he's paying well enough to think that we'll take anything,"

"Let's get going then." Ryoko replied eagerly, Minagi nodding and grinning.

Washu shook her head and summoned her holo laptop. 'The energy of youth,' she mused to herself.

The engines of the ship went from a drone to a full throated roar before settling into traveling speed. Souja was on the move.

--

The First Crown Prince of Jurai, Tenchi Masaki stood at stiff attention in the center of the Holy Council of Jurai's debating chamber. The sunken floor was surrounded by organically styled tiers of seats that were inspired to awe and intimidate the young Prince. It wasn't working. He had been here too many times for that particular message to sink in any more.

It was the spoken message from the Holy Council itself that made him want to quiver.

"Is this truly what the Holy Council bids of me?" the Prince asked softly, staring around with wide brown eyes at the many members, representing the scions of the Royal Families.

"You must prove your worth to us, Crown Prince," one sneered. "It seems that while the Emperor may have faith in you despite your thin blood, the rest of us are not so easily swayed." Murmurs swept out from the balcony seats, tones jumbling together making it difficult to tell who agreed and who disagreed with the spoken statement.

"Enough!" Emperor Azusa roared. "The worthiness of my heir is not the topic of this council session." The Council room quieted.

"Yes, your majesty." The scion's voice was not the least bit contrite.

Prince Tenchi straightened. "I shall strive to attain the Council's wishes." He bowed low, the small black tail at the base of his neck proclaimed his youth in comparison to all of the Jurians present. "I shall return to you that which you desire."

"Bold words, Prince," an older council man leaned forward. "We shall put them to the test."

The Prince bowed again to the man, "I understand."

The Emperor leaned back and looked over the council. "So it is agreed, that the heir, First Crown Prince of Jurai Tenchi Masaki will undertake the quest to return the three gems of the light hawk to the Tsunami Tree."

Murmurs of assent and nods were the responses given to the Emperor.

Tenchi closed his eyes and if possible straightened even farther. "What help am I to have my lords?"

"I shall discuss that with you privately, Prince Tenchi." The Emperor gazed down implacably at his heir. Forced upon him by his wives, the boy was too thin and too young to be able to rule Jurai well when the time came. There was no way he could succeed the way he was now. Yet, his eldest daughter loved him and so it had been decided without Azusa's permission that Tenchi would be heir. Azusa frowned, 'Not that Yosho wanted to be Emperor anyways.' His eldest son was a disappointment to him as well.

"Yes my lord," Prince Tenchi bowed a last time and departed from the council chamber. Taking the dismissal that was implied in the Emperor's words.

--

Azusa took a sip of the green tea, a drink he had favored ever since his first wife Funaho of Earth had introduced it to him. He and Tenchi were kneeling in a small sitting room off the Emperor's chambers. A room whose decorations had not changed for thousands of years, painted family portraits, flower arrangements stilled in the peak of bloom and rich colors everywhere.

Tenchi's hands rested on his lap. The cup of tea before him untouched and cooling, "Is this truly necessary?" He sighed.

Azusa glared at the Prince. "You transportation will be here tomorrow." Tenchi waited a few more moments as Azusa took another sip of tea. "The council is unaware of whom I hired for this quest and they are most certainly unaware of how much this will cost. If you had bonded to a space tree this wouldn't be a problem."

"I am aware of that complication," Prince Tenchi nodded.

"The Master Key is not a good substitute in this instance."

Prince Tenchi nodded again.

"However, this may be for the best," Azusa finished and drained his teacup.

Tenchi stood and bowed to him, as he turned to leave the room. Azusa smiled for a moment. "Oh and Tenchi, Ayeka knows."

--

The First Crown Princess of Jurai Ayeka wrung her hands. "Lord Tenchi, we must speak." Her voice trembled.

Prince Tenchi looked up from where he was sorting clothes on the bed. It had not been five minutes from when he had left Azusa's sitting room. His room was sparse and bare. A room that said someone lived there, but did not feel at home there. There were few pictures on the wall, mostly of places and a few of people. Easily removed, there were no flower arrangements, no excessive use of knick knacks and everything was in lighter colors, easily hidden or changed for a new occupant.

Princess Ayeka stood in the door, still amazed after all these years that Tenchi's personality hadn't permeated the room more. Or perhaps his personality was more self-contained than most nobles. She was unsure. Her large pink eyes flickered back to Tenchi, his dark hair, olive complexion and warm brown eyes always warmed her heart. Even after years of wearing royal robes, he looked uncomfortable in the many layers and colors. She smiled unconsciously. He was wearing his favorite, a lighter blue, red and white. Perhaps an allusion to what he wished his status was; a knight of Jurai.

She shook her head out of her musings, realizing that Lord Tenchi was still waiting for her to speak.

"I do not wish you to go, Lord Tenchi."

"Lady Ayeka, between us it should be only Tenchi and Ayeka. No titles," he began.

Ayeka shook her head, her long violet pony tails swaying. "That isn't proper, Lord Tenchi until we are married. Don't change the subject."

Tenchi closed the trunk and walked across the room to her. "Then carry on."

Ayeka looked down, cheeks flushed. 'Does he always have to come so close?' The shorter loose hair obscured her face. "This quest is dangerous."

"You know why it must be me, my lady," Tenchi reverted back to the more formal speech Ayeka favored.

"My father made the law."

"And grandfather," 'which is much easier to say than great-grandfather,' Tenchi though savagely, "cannot change the people's opinion as readily." Tenchi grabbed her shoulders, and she looked up from the floor. "They must see me as capable of becoming Emperor."

"You are more than capable my lord with me at your side there should…"

"There will always be the objection that you are my only right to ascend the throne."

"Your blood…"

"Is contaminated," Tenchi twisted the words with his mouth.

"The Master Key, the Tenchi-Ken…" Ayeka was grasping for reasons.

"Came to me by default," he added scornfully.

Ayeka tried to back away. Tenchi's fingers tightened into her shoulders. "That is why I must go Lady Ayeka."

"Then let me come with you. I do not want to be left behind."

Tenchi caught her eyes with his and shook his head. "It is bad enough I must leave Jurai and undertake this task. I will not risk your life as well."

"Then send someone else."

"I can't and I won't," Tenchi released her and stalked back to his packing. "The Holy Council…"

"Wants you killed," she wailed. Her face was pale and she was shaking, barely able to stand in her heavy formal robes of violet and red.

"The Holy Council has also laid upon me this duty which in no clear conscience can I deny."

Ayeka moaned.

"They have wanted me dead since I was born and especially after I was named heir."

"Do not speak so."

"It is only the truth, my lady."

"Oh, Lord Tenchi," Ayeka wrung her hands together fingers twisting and turning white from the pressure.

Tenchi slammed a trunk closed and stared at her. "Lady Ayeka, I am leaving tomorrow."

Ayeka lunged across the room, wrapping him in a fierce embrace. "You will return," she pulled back slightly, suddenly aware of how in her extreme emotion of how forward she was being and she was uncomfortable with the knowledge. "We were destined to be together. I know it."

Lord Tenchi's heart clenched and he wrapped his own arms around her. "Yes, Lady Ayeka. I will come back and I will have with me the three gems of the Light Hawk." She laid her head back on his chest.

"And Jurai's power will be complete," The Princess finished her voice muffled in his robes. She ignored the fact Tenchi did not return her assurance of destiny. She wouldn't think about it. He would return and they could finally be together without objection from her father and the Holy Council. Lord Tenchi would become Emperor and everything would be all right.

--

Washu sat her tea cup down on the saucer with a resounding clack of pottery. Her emerald eyes looked at each of the Royal Family in turn. "You overstep your boundaries," she stated, her voice low with suppressed emotion.

"The three…"

"How dare you, Emperor Azusa? You knowing my history with those gems ask me to return them to circulation?" Her bosom heaved as she tried to calm her rage.

"Washu," Funaho began. "If the gems are brought to the Tsunami Tree, then nothing that has happened in the past could again."

"No, they will just power your precious tree ships and lengthen your already overly long lives," Washu sneered and then shook her head.

"You know where they are?" Misaski leaned forward eagerly.

Washu eyed the second queen warily. "Yes, because I put them there. However, I have not decided to divulge that information to you or retrieve them either."

"You agreed to take the job," Azusa simmered.

Washu nodded. "Yes, I did. That was before I knew what idiocy you have been feeding Jurai and the Royal Houses."

"And what idiocy is that?" Ayeka asked sharply.

Washu turned to her and smiled gently, "That the three gems will complete the power of Tsunami, Princess Ayeka."

"They won't?" The Crown Prince raised his eyebrows.

Washu shook her head and sighed. "No on knows for sure, least of all me. And I worked with them for years, trying to discover their powers," 'to my sorrow.' She lifted the tea cup and took a sip of the warm beverage, aware that all of the Royal Family's eyes were upon her and they were sitting very straight. "I highly doubt it though."

They slumped.

Washu took another sip of tea and smiled down at it. "You see, you are running with the fallacy that the gems are a storage area of Jurai power. However, in all my research I always stated that the gems were like Jurai power and could strengthen it. This could mean several things of course." She set the tea cup down and stood up, brushing off the front of her pants. "However, my daughters are getting impatient to be leaving." She paused. "And since I did agree to take the job, I shall keep my word. You are ready, Prince Tenchi."

Tenchi gulped and nodded.

"Hold those questions," Washu winked at him. "Hurry up, say your good byes, we must be going."

"Daughters, Miss Washu?" Ayeka raised an eyebrow, rising with the rest of the family.

Washu smiled, "My twins, Ryoko and Minagi Hakubi. They have been waiting in the Souja."

Ayeka held back a shudder and decided to ignore the mercenary. Her head whipped back towards Washu after a moment however. "You mean the Interstellar Space Pirates Ryoko and Minagi."

Washu nodded, her smile getting larger. "They help me out from time to time."

The sounds of soft chimes accompanied the appearance of the twins. They were both wearing their pirating outfits eager to be leaving and to shock the royals. The slashes placed in the red body suits showed patches of pale skin leaving little to the imagination and had bolero jackets with leg of mutton sleeves over them. Ryoko added one more layer for this occasion, a long navy cape over the orange and green sleeved jacket with a pink ribbon edge. Minagi forwent the cape addition and kept with her jacket wit hone black sleeve and one blue sleeve and a golden ribbon.

Minagi bounced up to her mother. "Which one is the prince we're taking?" Her eyes flicked between Tenchi and Yosho, eyeing each like they were slabs of meat.

Ryoko's comment was more to the point. "You didn't say that Prince Tenchi was cute." She flashed the said Prince a smile and a wink.

Minagi's gaze returned to Tenchi and she bit her bottom lip and snickered. "You are correct, he is cute." She and Ryoko shared a look of mischief and tried to control their chuckles as Prince Tenchi began to blush and Princess Ayeka bristled at them in agitation.

"This is my betrothed you are talking about," she hissed.

Washu hid a smile behind an unfurled fan. ::Be careful, children,:: she admonished.

"Calm down, Princess. I was just making a statement," Ryoko purred not at all reassuring Princess Ayeka.

The Princess glared at Ryoko for a few seconds before noticing Minagi was still staring at Prince Tenchi, a thoughtful look upon her face. "That goes for you as well," Ayeka snapped at the pirate.

"Hey, I'm single and there isn't any harm in looking," Minagi protested. "You are just being possessive."

::You tell her, Minagi. Don't let that princess bully you.:: Ryoko encouraged her twin mentally.

Prince Tenchi grabbed Lady Ayeka's arm and pulled her to a corner of the room, out of the twins' hearing range. He hoped.

"Please Lady Ayeka, get a hold of yourself," Prince Tenchi whispered, stealing a glance at the provocative and curvaceous twins.

Lady Ayeka shook herself from his hand. "You get a hold of yourself as well, my lord. "

Prince Tenchi shifted uncomfortably. "I don't want any problems between you and them."

"Too late," Ayeka twisted about to shoot a quick glare at the twins.

"My lady, please." Prince Tenchi captured her eyes. "Arguments shouldn't happen today." He smiled softly.

Princess Ayeka sighed and closed her eyes against the warm assault of feelings that fluttered in her breast. 'If only he would get the courage to go against tradition and kiss me. That would show those twins whom he loves and is destined for.' Her eyes fluttered back open and she smiled.

Prince Tenchi was gone from in front of her and more soft chimes announced the twins' departure as well.

Ayeka's eyes darted about the room. Her cheeks flushed as she noticed that her betrothed was hugging her little sister good bye. She took deep breathes to get her color and temper under control. Tenchi was bowing to her father by the time she felt ready to face him again. She glided up next her father and tried to smile.

Tenchi's eyes flicked towards her and he turned. "Lady Ayeka," he began.

"Lord Tenchi," she interrupted. "I wish you a pleasant journey. Please return soon," she murmured.

Prince Tenchi stilled, taken aback by the coolness of her words. "I shall do all within my power to make your wish my command, my lady." He reached down and in a courtly gesture much glared at by the Emperor kissed the back of Ayeka's hand.

Princess Ayeka flushed and looked away. "Tsunami guide your path, my lord."

Prince Tenchi smiled and released her hand. "Thank you my lady." He took one step back, then another.

Washu was once again the only one of the Hakubi family in the room. She snapped her fan shut as she linked her arm though the Prince's and smiled at the family. "He'll be fine. Take care."

The bodies of Washu and Prince Tenchi flashed pure white before disappearing entirely.

--

END CHAPTER!

Hee hee, I hope you liked it so far :-D

Questions and comments should be sent to one of the emails below! Check out my websites... and tell me what you think please.

RingPrincess
ring_princess@hotmail.com
ring_prince ss2001@yahoo.com
http://www.angelfire.com/ny5/ringprincess/index.html http://groups.yahoo.com/group/tenchimuyofanfiction/
http://www.thete nchireviewer.net