The Legend Of Zelda Fan Fiction / Legend Of Zelda Fan Fiction ❯ Choices of the Heart ❯ Chapter 1 ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 1:
Rays of early morning sunlight shone on Link's face from the window directly above his bed, breaking through the barrier of his closed eyelids with an irritating red gleam. Groaning, the fourteen year old boy turned over onto his other side in a vain attempt to escape the light. Too early. It was too early. But something tugged on the back of his mind, something he needed to do. If he could just remember…
He lay there for a moment, pondering what exactly he was supposed to be doing, and then it hit him. In a bolt, he shot out of the bed, leaving the cozy warmth of the sheets and exposing his body to the cool morning air of early spring. He shivered slightly, as he was dressed only in his undergarments, and hurried to his dresser, tripping and nearly losing his balance on one of the many tunics that lay strewn across the floor. Opening the dresser, he sighed with relief at the last clean tunic folded, or rather thrown, untidily in the drawer. Thank the goddesses, or he'd have to make a quick trip to the stream to do laundry. Today was no day to wear dirty clothes.
Holding up the tunic and deciding that the wrinkle damage was not too bad, Link hastily pulled on the tunic, and his shivering thankfully stopped. Shoving the hat he always wore over his incessantly messy blond hair and clumsily pulling on his boots so that he stumbled again, the boy ran out the door of his tree house, not bothering with the ladder, but jumping the few feet to the ground as he always did. Link started to run toward the tunnel leading to Hyrule Field, but paused at the sound of a familiar voice calling his name.
Link turned around. “Saria, I can't talk right now! I've got to go!” he said urgently, hopping from one foot to the other in his eagerness to get going.
The green-haired girl sprinted up to him. “I know,” she said, smiling. “I just wanted to wish you good luck today.”
“Okay, well thanks,” Link replied hastily. “I've really got to get going now. I'll see you later!” Before Saria could say anything else, he turned and ran toward the tunnel.
“Remember to be on your best behavior!” Saria called at Link's back disappearing into the darkness of the tunnel. Placing her hands on her hips, she smiled and shook her head before returning to her house.
*~*
Once he had crossed the bridge and reached Hyrule Field, Link pulled out his ocarina and played Epona's Song. The familiar song reverberated in the air around him, as though by some strange magic, and the sound of hoof beats pervaded the empty field as the auburn mare trotted towards Link, her long white mane flowing behind her, drawn by the song named for her.
The young mare stopped at Link's side, whinnying in delight to see her golden-haired master. Link petted his faithful companion's nose affectionately, then hoisted himself onto her back. “Okay, Epona!” Link told her. “To the castle!”
Once again whinnying with delight, the mare broke into a gallop, the strong muscles in her shoulders rippling beneath her glistening fur as she sped gracefully across the grassy field. Link sighed happily as the wind whipped his hair back and whistled through his ears. A perfect day spread out before him. The sun shone bright and merry in a clear and dazzling blue sky. Not a single cloud dotted the vast blue expanse, as though a good omen that nothing would dot this perfect day. He could not have asked for better.
Keeping a hand tightly on the reins, he reached into his pocket and pulled out the crisp white envelope, marked with the seal of the royal family. Pulling out its contents and unfolding them, he reread the letter once again:
To our good subject Master Link,
We do hereby invite you, in the name of our lord the King, His
Majesty King Daphnes Nohansen Hyrule, to attend the royal
celebration of the thirteenth birthday of Her Royal Highness
Princess Zelda Agafiya Hyrule at eleven o' clock in the morning
on the tenth day of Farosebesh.

The goddesses rest with thee.
Signed,
Duke Renaldo Ambergini
Duchess Marcilla de Serlicses
Viscount Harold Thomas DeRui
Link skimmed through the first sheet of parchment, then moved the second sheet to the top. Written in a sloppy scrawl, the second sheet read:

Dear Link,
Link,
My birthday party is on next Lisatchi. Daddy's making
a much bigger deal out of it than it really is, but I
hope you'll come. It's going to be such a bore without
you. Hope to see you there!
Sincerely,
Zelda Hyrule
Replacing the papers in their original order, Link folded them and placed them back in the envelope, which he stuffed carefully back into his pocket. The smooth gray-white walls of Hyrule Castle now loomed up before the boy and his horse. Drawing in the reins, Link slowed Epona to a stop right outside the drawbridge and slid onto the ground.
Link could feel his excitement rising as he gazed at the open drawbridge leading into Hyrule Castletown. “Thanks Epona,” he said to the mare.
Epona neighed softly and nuzzled the boy's shoulder with her nose. Link laughed and rubbed her. “Okay, okay. I'll buy you an apple for later, okay?” he promised. The horse whinnied happily and nuzzled him affectionately once again before trotting back in the direction of Lon Lon Ranch, her home.
Link smiled widely as he watched her disappear over the hill. Whistling the lullaby Zelda's nursemaid, Impa, had taught him the first time he ever met the beautiful young Princess of Hyrule, he strode over the drawbridge and into Hyrule Castletown. The normally crowded streets of the town were even busier than usual. A number of carts and vendors lined the road on other side, and people dressed in their finest bustled about, shopping and gossiping with one another.
Link hastily stepped aside as a little boy ran straight at him, chased by an older girl. The children laughed loudly as they ran, happy smiles lighting up their bright faces. As he watched the children run past, Link felt something knock into him, causing him to stumble backwards and fall on his butt on the hard, cobblestoned street.
“Shit that hurt,” Link muttered under his breath. He looked around for the source of his fall, and saw another boy struggling to his feet.
He was about fifteen or sixteen, a little older than Link. White-blond hair hung loose and smooth around his shoulders, and green eyes twinkled at some private joke in an elegant, youthful white face. As he regained his composure, the boy seemed to follow Link's suit, searching for whatever he had just run into. When he caught sight of Link still sitting on the ground, the boy's face broke into one of shock and apology.
“Oh! I'm sorry!” he exclaimed, hurrying to offer Link a hand up. “I guess I wasn't watching where I was going. I have a lot on my mind,” he explained as he pulled Link up to his feet.
“Yeah, that's okay,” Link said, rubbing his thigh which was now throbbing painfully. “I guess I wasn't really paying attention myself.”
The older boy glanced up at the sky and started. “Really sorry about that, but I'm in a hurry. No hard feelings?”
“Um, no, it's fine,” Link replied. “I'm in a hurry myself.”
“Alright. See you around, then!” the boy called, before hurrying in the opposite direction of the castle.
Link blinked at the boy, a little confused, but shrugged it off and headed on his own way. He shivered slightly from excitement as the crowded cobblestone changed to a smooth pathway and he could make out the gates to the castle ahead. Memories flitted across his mind of past times he had walked this pathway. The first time he came down here, he had felt much like he was feeling now—excited, nervous, and a little scared. Even though he had walked down this path many times since then, he still remembered the first time clearly, that one time that had started everything.
Link shook his head. This was no time to be reminiscing; judging by the sun's position it was already nearly 11:30. How had it gotten so late? He hurried to the gate, where the same guard who had been on duty the first time he had visited the Castle.
“Hey! Link! I thought I might see you today,” the guard called as Link approached.
“Do you need to see the invitation?” Link asked, stopping in front of the gate.
“Nah. I'd be less likely to believe you if you told me you hadn't been invited,” the guard chuckled, opening the gate for Link to pass through. “Hey just between you and me, I think she might like you,” the guard told Link in a low voice as he passed. He winked as Link looked back at him, and closed the gate.
Continuing down the path, Link felt his face growing slightly red at what the guard had said, but inside he felt unbelievably excited. Could Zelda, the Princess of Hyrule, most beautiful girl in the land, really like him, a simple forest boy? He broke into a run, feeling exhilarated at the very thought. He slowed as he reached the closed drawbridge that led into the Castle, two guards stationed at either side.
Link did not remember seeing these guards before, and they eyed him suspiciously. “Um,” Link mumbled, fumbling in his pocket for the envelope containing the invitation. “Er…here,” he said a little awkwardly, handing the envelope to the guard on the right.
The guard examined the broken seal on the envelope, then pulled out the sheets of parchment. He studied the first letter carefully and turned to the second. The guard raised an eyebrow as he read the second letter, and Link blushed, realizing he had given him the letter Zelda had written to him personally. After what seemed like an embarrassing eternity to the young teen, the guard seemed to decide the letter was authentic, because he returned it to Link and nodded for his fellow to let down the drawbridge.
Replacing the envelope in his pocket, Link hastened inside, still feeling embarrassed. Inside the castle was even bigger than it looked on the outside. Link knew that many rooms and corridors snaked throughout the interior, having been led down them countless times by an eager Zelda. He was glad he knew the way to the courtyard, since no one seemed to be coming to lead him there.
Probably because I'm so late, he thought, a little angry with himself.
Link walked through the familiar corridors, still amazed at the sheer vastness of Hyrule Castle, until at last he arrived at the gate leading to the courtyard. Guards were stationed throughout the mazelike pathway as usual, but most of them knew Link by sight, and those who didn't nodded their approval when he showed them the envelope containing the Royal Seal. At last, Link arrived at the courtyard, only to be stopped short by the sight that met him.
Bewildered, Link stared around him. The courtyard, unlike he was accustomed to, was filled with people, most of which were over the age of thirty, and all of which were dressed in elegant, expensive looking clothing, their bodies decorated with rich silks, satins, and jewels. A group of snobbish looking women caught sight of Link gaping in the doorway. They looked him over once and then looked away, their expressions as though they had just seen something vile and unspeakable.
Suddenly, an overwhelming desire to run away filled Link. A lump formed in his throat as he attracted the shocked and disgusted stares of even more finely dressed people. His limbs felt like jelly, and he knew his face had flushed deeply, but Link forced his legs to move through the crowd of royals.
Zelda wanted me to come, Zelda wanted me to come, he repeated over and over in his head. If she hadn't wanted me to be here, I wouldn't have been invited and she wouldn't have written me that letter herself.
However, even as he told himself this, Zelda seemed to be nowhere in sight. He looked around feverishly, trying to find her amidst the cluster of people. At last, he caught sight of a familiar blond girl in a pink dress, standing by the window as always. She wore a stiff smile on her pretty face as she greeted various people who approached her. Feeling relieved, Link pushed through the crowds with more vigor in order to reach her, but was stopped by a firm grip on his shoulder.
The hand which had grabbed him turned Link around forcefully, and the boy found himself looking into the face of a stern, elderly looking man scowling down at him. “I believe you may have stumbled into the wrong place, boy,” the man said in a harsh tone, accenting the word “boy” as though it were something distasteful he desired to spit out immediately.
“But I have an invitation!” Link said, trying to reach in his pocket for the envelope.
“I don't think so,” the man retorted, grabbing Link's wrist with his other hand. “Whoever sent you must have been a fool. How would a peasant like you receive an invitation to the celebration of the Princess of Hyrule's coming of age?” he spat. “Tarence, call the guards while I hold him,” he added to a middle-aged man with graying brown hair and whiskers a few feet away.
 
Zelda could feel her cheeks aching from forcing herself to smile for so long. She nodded as yet another distant relative she did not recognize came to greet her, murmuring a polite response. Her throat was starting to burn from so much talking, and she yearned to get out of this uncomfortable dress Impa had insisted she wear. It would not have been so bad if it hadn't been pink of all colors. She fought the urge to scowl. Where was Link? Wasn't he coming?
She sighed inwardly as the next relative approached, not breaking her ever present smile. Maybe he didn't want to come. He had probably guessed something like this would be dull and full of snobs, and decided it would be wiser not to come.
He could have at least sent a message saying he wasn't coming, she thought bitterly.
As she opened her mouth to greet whoever was now standing before her, her eyes caught sight of a familiar green hat not too far away. She stopped mid-curtsy and whirled around to get a better look, much to the surprise of her greeter.
Sure enough, Link stood amidst the crowd of people, as usual dressed in his forest green tunic. She smiled at the sight of him, a little amused that he still chose to wear that simple tunic, even on an occasion such as this. Well, she admired his gall. Or maybe it was just ignorance…
Zelda's smile broke into a frown as she realized what was going on, and she hurried down to the steps and to the area where Link stood. “What is going on?” she demanded in her most princess-y tone.
The guards who were seizing Link and the elderly man who had been holding him looked up, surprised to find their princess standing before them, so seemingly angry.
“We caught this rubbish snooping around,” the elderly man explained. “No doubt an assassin or thief.”
“Is that so?” Zelda asked. “Well, this so called `rubbish' is, in fact, Link Kokir, Royal Ambassador to the Kokiri Forest, and you would do well to release him this instant,” she berated the man and the guards, glaring firmly up at them, her hands on her hips.
The man and the guards released their grip on Link, and took a few hasty steps backwards, looking taken aback. “I-I beg your pardon Your Highness, Master Link,” the elderly man stuttered, looking frightened. “Had I known, I—“
“It is forgiven,” Zelda cut him off, waving her arm as if to brush the matter, and the man, aside. She took Link's hand and led him away, towards the gate leading out. “Come on,” she whispered so that only he could hear, “let's get out of here.”
“That was amazing!” Link exclaimed once they were out of the courtyard and far away from the crowds of royals.
Zelda shrugged. “There are some advantages to being a princess,” she said. “That `party' was dreadful, though. I thought I was going to die.” She looked at him, and her face broke into a wide smile. Link saw the spark in her eyes he had learned to dread, and suddenly felt very afraid.
“Let's sneak out of the castle and go out to the town!” she cried, starting to bounce excitedly.
“Are you out of your mind?” Link asked, gaping at her. “There's even more guards than usual! We're bound to get caught!”
“Well,” Zelda said thoughtfully, pondering this problem. “I know! There's a secret passageway in the throne room! We can use that!”
“The throne room? Won't the King be there?”
Zelda shook her head. “Daddy's probably pacing his chambers like he's been doing all week. I think he might be a little nervous about me turning thirteen.” She gave a goofy grin. “Oh, please, Link? Can't we? Please?”
“I dunno,” Link said uncertainly. Zelda poked her lip out, giving him her most pleading look. How could he refuse? “Well, okay,” he agreed, staring at the ground and ruffling his hair as he always did when he was feeling nervous.
“Alright! Come on, I'll take you to the throne room!” Zelda shouted so loudly Link was afraid someone might have heard. He didn't have time to check though, because Zelda had grabbed his hand and began dragging him behind her through parts of the castle he did not recognize, as she had been doing ever since he had first started visiting regularly.
As Zelda led him down one of the many corridors, something caught Link's eye, and he stopped to stare at it.
“What is it?” Zelda asked, coming back to join him. She followed his gaze. “Oh, that?”
“This girl,” Link murmured, staring at the girl whose face was portrayed in the sky above tall dark mountains, her long red hair flowing out to join the reddening clouds of dusk, “she looks like Malon.”
“Does she really?” Zelda asked, peering curiously at the girl in the painting. “I've heard that the artist who painted this always depicts this same girl in his paintings. It's like he's obsessed or something.”
“Who's the artist?” Link inquired, still staring at the painting.
“No one knows,” Zelda whispered. Her tone took on a mysterious air. “He signs all of his works with the initials `L.R.'. They say, no one has ever even seen his face. He always wears a long, blue cloak, and keeps his face covered by a hood.”
Link shivered, though he wasn't sure why. Strange painters who kept their faces covered by a hood and didn't tell anyone their name didn't really bother him, but something seemed unusually creepy about this “L.R.”.
“Come on, let's go before someone catches us,” Zelda said, tugging on his wrist impatiently.
Link let her lead him away, but his mind remained on the painting. Zelda said that the same girl always appeared in L.R.'s paintings. Was it possible that the girl was Malon, or was he just being overly paranoid? He wracked his brains, trying to think of anyone who might have some strange obsession with the farm girl, but could find no one. As far as he knew, the only people Malon ever came into contact with were her father, Talon, Ingo, and himself. Could it be one of the customers of Lon Lon Ranch? He seriously doubted it, but who knew.
“Hello in there!” Zelda called, waving her hand in front of Link's face. Jumping slightly, Link realized she had probably been calling him for a good moment now.
“Oh, sorry,” he said. “I guess I got lost in my thoughts.”
“Apparently,” Zelda muttered, looking a bit annoyed. “We're at the throne room. Just let me check to make sure no one's inside.”
With some effort, she pushed one of the great doors in front of them open a crack a poked her head inside. “There's no one here,” she said in a low voice.
Together, they pushed the door open wide enough for them to both to slip in, and slowly let it shut behind them. “This way,” Zelda whispered, running quietly across the vast room to the thrones set on pedestals at the very back wall.
Link gaped at the throne room. It was huge, probably the biggest room he had been in so far. A huge, red velvet carpet covered most of the room from the doors, leading to the two thrones set side by side up a miniature stairway. Before he could take in the rest of the room, Zelda broke into his thoughts again.
“Link, we need to move something in here. I think it's that shelf,” she whispered urgently, pointing to the large, ornamental shelf set right against the wall behind the thrones.
Nodding, Link followed her to the shelf, and began pushing. Sure enough, the shelf began to move ever so slightly, slowly sliding across the stone floor until it revealed a large hole in the wall where it had stood. Link could feel a damp cold issuing from the hole.
Zelda ducked into the hole and as soon as she did, the shelf began to slide back into its place. “Hurry! Before it closes!” she ordered.
Obediently, Link hurried into the hole, and behind them the shelf closed over the entrance, shutting out all the light and throwing them into complete darkness. “Zelda, I can't see a thing,” he whispered loudly, searching the darkness, unsuccessfully, for her face.
“I've got it,” she whispered back, and a moment later a tiny orb of light appeared, hovering in mid-air just in front of her face, illuminating the darkness and revealing a stone passageway. “Lead the way; I haven't got a sword,” she stated the obvious.
“Sure,” Link agreed, hurrying ahead of her and feeling slightly annoyed. Didn't she think he would take the lead anyway?
Almost immediately, the passage split off into two paths. When, after a moment's hesitation, Zelda did not offer the correct direction, Link chose a path, relying on his instincts and hoping they didn't get hopelessly lost in this place. He knew he would regret giving in to Zelda's pleas, as he always did.
As he walked cautiously through the passage, Zelda close at his heels with the ball of light, Link began to see large rats scampering about. He frowned and felt for the sword he always carried on his back. The rats seemed to be leaving him alone for now, but he hoped no monsters turned up. That was the last thing he needed.
The passageway seemed to continue forever, constantly breaking into multiple paths, and eventually changing into a sewer overflowing with the giant rats. Link drew his sword as one of them bared its teeth at him. Seeing the sword, the rat backed off, snarling. Behind him, Zelda shrieked, and the orb of light wavered. Whipping around, Link saw a rat had lunged at her, taking the hem of her dress in its oversized, yellow teeth.
Acting quickly, Link swung his sword at it, and with a spurt of dark blood and a squeal of pain, the thing fell over dead. Link grabbed Zelda's hand, and started to run through the sewer, his sword held at the ready. At last, Link saw a lever set into one of the walls. “Here, take this,” he told Zelda, handing her the sword.
She took it, and her arm gave way under its weight, causing the sword to hit the ground with a loud crash. Using both hands, she pulled it back up and held it wobbling in front of her face. Link grabbed the lever and started to pull with all his might. Slowly, the lever began to move, and as it did, a section of the wall began to life upwards, and light leaked through. Link pulled the lever out all the way, and he and Zelda ran through the open section, glad to escape the dank, dark, rat infested sewer. They emerged in the Temple of Time, and behind them, the wall slammed shut.
“Well, that was certainly an adventure!” Zelda exclaimed, breaking into a wide grin again as she handed him back his sword.
Link frowned as he returned the blade to its sheath. He opened his mouth to scold her about the dangerous path she had chosen, but then something occurred to him. Zelda seemed overjoyed at the very aspect of being outside the castle. She was running and skipping around the Temple of Time excitedly. She probably felt trapped, always confined to the walls of Hyrule Castle, never allowed to step foot outside unaccompanied by guards. Link remembered how excited he had felt the first time he left the Kokiri Forest, how he had enjoyed so much the simple freedom of being able to leave the confinements of the forest for the first time in his life. Smiling a little, he decided to just help the princess enjoy her day free from her confinements. He was sure Impa and her father would scold her plenty once she returned.
“Come on! I want to see the town!” Zelda called, running out the doors of the temple. Link followed her, and together they headed into the bustling town.
“Wow!” Zelda exclaimed. “Look at everything!” She spun around, trying to take in all her surroundings at once. There was so much life here, even more than she remembered from the last time she and Link had snuck out of the castle two years ago, on a day when there had been less guards around and they sneak out the front gate.
Zelda turned to Link. “I don't remember it being this busy last time,” she commented.
“It's in celebration of your birthday. They have it every year, but this year it's even bigger than normal,” Link explained. “There's all sorts of festivities—games, face painting, and there'll probably be fireworks later.”
“Link, I want to do everything! Where should we start?” She looked around, and a clothing shop caught her eye. “First, I want to get some different clothes. This dress is a nightmare.” She ran into the store, and Link followed after her.
Without much difficulty, Zelda decided on a sun yellow, knee-length dress with light brown leggings to go with it. “I want this,” she told the store owner who had come over to ask if they needed any help, pointing to the outfit.
“Okay, then!” the owner, a stout, middle-aged woman with reddish-blond hair tied in a bun at the nape of her neck, said cheerfully, taking the outfit and examining the price tags. “That will be 35 rupees.”
“What? You mean I have to pay?” Zelda asked, as though the idea were completely unheard of.
“Of course, silly!” the woman replied. “I'm running a business, not a charity!”
“But—“
Link cut Zelda off before she could finish her sentence. “I'll buy them for you,” he said hastily, handing the woman the money.
“Well, what a sweet young man,” the woman said. “You've got a fine catch there, little missy. Make sure you hang on to him,” she added to Zelda, causing the two children to blush and hurry out of the store.
“Um, thanks for the clothes,” Zelda said as they stood outside the store, awkwardly avoiding eye contact.
“No problem. You should probably go change,” Link suggested.
“Right.” Zelda looked around and spotted a restroom not far away. “I'll be right back.” She hurried off to the restroom.
“So, you really have to pay for everything out here?” Zelda asked Link a few minutes later, happily enjoying her double scoop, vanilla ice cream cone.
“Yep, that's how things work,” Link said. He had already finished his chocolate ice cream cone.
“Oh. Well, I don't get why I should have to pay. Doesn't my father pay for everything anyway?”
Link shook his head. “No, actually everyone else pays taxes to your father. Out here, you're just a regular person, and your father hasn't already bought everything you want. That's just how things work.”
Zelda shrugged. “I guess. It still doesn't make sense. Let's go play some games next!”
Link followed her as she ran towards the section where games had been set up. Suddenly, Zelda shrieked, “Ren!” and threw her arms around a tall boy.
Link felt a twinge of jealousy, and had to fight the urge to attack the boy on the spot. Then, he realized that he recognized the boy. “Link! Link! Come here! There's someone you have to meet!” Zelda called to him, waving him over.
“Link this is my cousin, Duke Renaldo, but you can call him Ren.” She indicated to the blond boy she had just hugged.
“You're the boy from before,” Link said, shaking hands with Ren, the boy who had run into him earlier.
“Hello again,” Ren said.
Zelda looked from one to the other. “You two already know each other?” she asked.
“In a way. We ran into each other this morning,” Ren explained, his green eyes twinkling at the pun.
Link grinned. He seemed to be lousy at making jokes, but Link decided he liked this Ren. Duke Renaldo…the name seemed slightly familiar. Where had he heard it before?
“So, you've been sneaking out of the castle, huh?” Ren inquired of Zelda. “I really should tell your father.”
“Oh, please don't!” Zelda begged.
“Well, since it's your birthday, I suppose I'll let it slide this time. Just don't tell anyone I knew about it when you get caught,” Ren said, winking at her.
“Agreed!” Zelda said, her face shining. Link felt another twinge of jealousy at the close bond they seemed to have. “Are you going to stay with us? It'll be so much fun!” Zelda asked.
“I'm sorry, I can't. Being a duke is hard work,” Ren said apologetically.
“Aww. Okay,” Zelda consented, looking disappointed. He hated to admit it, but Link was kind of glad. As much as he would like to hang out with Ren and get to know him better, Link didn't want anyone sharing his day with Zelda.
“It was good to meet you. Again.” Ren said to Link. “I suppose I'll be seeing you more often.” He winked, and headed off toward the castle.
“Isn't he great?” Zelda asked Link, then, before he could reply, “I wish he could have stayed. It would have been so much fun.”
“You seem really close to him,” Link said, trying to mask his jealousy.
“We are. He's the son of my mother's late brother and Daddy's best friend; we grew up together. Ever since his father, my uncle, died last year though, he's been really busy. I guess since he had to take on his father's job, he has a lot to do, but I really miss him.” She looked very sad, and Link felt sorry for her. He felt like he should comfort her, but he wasn't sure what to do.
After a moment of silence, Zelda looked up at him with regained excitement. “Come on! We have a lot to do!”
 
Malon watched herself in the mirror as she carefully wound her long red hair up over her head, and fitted a cap over it, holding it in place. Her disguise was complete. She was dressed in trousers and a loose shirt that hid her newly developing breasts. Satisfied, she pulled on her boots and headed down the stairs, tiptoeing quietly passed her loudly snoring father and out the door.
She walked over to where Epona stood waiting for her. Malon smiled and petted the mare who had been her loyal friend since she was a child. “Dad said it's inappropriate for a girl my age to wander around Hyrule Castletown alone,” she whispered in the horse's ear, as though sharing a great secret, “but he didn't say anything about a boy. What do you think?” She held out her arms wide and turned around slowly to allow the horse examine her.
Epona snorted and shook her head. Malon stuck her tongue out at her. “Party pooper,” she declared. “Oh well, it doesn't matter,” she said, climbing into the saddle. “Even if you don't think it's a proper disguise, I think it'll work fine. Besides, I know how to fend for myself.”
Once Malon was comfortably settled in the saddle, horse and girl set off out of the ranch, breaking into a gallop once they reached the field. In no time at all, they had reached the town, and Malon climbed off.
“Wait for me here, okay girl?” Malon told Epona, who whinnied in response.
Malon walked into Hyrule Castletown, and stared, amazed, at her surroundings. She had thought the previous festivals in honor of the princess were amazing, but this definitely surpassed all. Glancing around, she wondered where to start. Even if Link had stood her up for the princess in who's honor this festival was about, Malon was determined not to let it get her down. She searched the shops, and spotted the one she was looking for. Link wasn't going to be able to teach her archery today like he had promised, so she would just learn on her own. She headed for the small shop entitled “Shooting Gallery”.
Inside, the burly owner smiled warmly at Malon. “Afternoon, lad. Have you come to play?” Malon nodded. “Ah, you have your own bow,” the man commented, eyeing the bow strung across Malon's back. “May I see it?”
Malon unstrung the bow and handed it to him. He turned it over in his large, rough hands. “Hmm…rough, not very attractive, but a good make.” He handed it back to her. “Where did you get it?”
“My friend made it for me,” Malon explained. “You might know him; his name is Link.”
“Ah! Link! I'm not surprised he made that,” the man said, nodding. “I might have to give him some tips on how to make it more attractive though, eh?”
Malon smiled. “Can I play now?”
“Oh, of course! Hold on while I set up.”
Malon waited while he set up the game, and brought her a quiver of arrows. “Just shoot the rupees once it starts,” he told her.
“Don't I have to pay?”
The man waved it aside. “Since you're a friend of Link's, I'll let you go for free.”
“Thank you,” Malon said.
“No problem. Just tell me when you're ready.”
At Malon's signal, the game began to start. Drawing back the bowstring as Link had showed her and taking aim, Malon let the arrow fly. She missed the first rupee by a long shot; the arrow flew straight for the first few feet, and then took a nose dive and fell to the ground. Pulling back a little farther on the second one, she let go, and this time the arrow flew all the way, only missing because she had not been fast enough. By the time the game had finished, Malon had managed to shoot six of the rupees. It wasn't too great, but she figured since it was her first time shooting, she had done fairly well.
She smiled, happy that she was as good at archery as Link had thought she would be. It was nice to know she wouldn't be beaten by Romani, Malon's parallel in the world of Termina. The story of the girl Romani, who looked exactly like Malon and fought off aliens with a bow and arrow was just one of the many fascinatingly unbelievable stories Link told, but Malon believed them all. Over the four years they had known each other, she had learned to tell when he was lying. They were, after all, best friends.
Malon fished some rupees out of her pocket, this time insisting the man let her pay, and played a second round. By the end of the fourth round, Malon was able to hit all of the rupees perfectly, and by the time she had left had won herself her own quiver of arrows and a hundred rupees.
She grinned happily as she said goodbye to the owner and headed out of the shop. She wouldn't mention to Link about her outside practice when he came over to apologize and teach her tomorrow, as she was sure he would once he realized he had forgotten her. She would let him think she was a better archer than he was. That would be fun to rub in! She giggled, and wandered over to a food vendor. It was already fairly late in the evening, and her stomach was grumbling.
 
The hours seemed to fly by with Zelda. She could be annoying at times, but Link still enjoyed getting to spend time with her. It was just starting to grow dark outside when the fireworks started. Zelda squealed with delight, and dragged Link over to a secluded spot where they could see the fireworks almost perfectly.
They sat side by side, watching the bursts of light blossom into various shapes, but Link wasn't focused on the fireworks. He was more interested in the fact that Zelda's hand was only centimeters from his own, that if he moved his hand just the slightest bit, their fingers would be touching. For a few moments, he sat there, gathering up courage, and finally, his heart pounding nervously, he lifted up his hand and placed it on top of hers. As their hands touched, Zelda looked up into his face and smiled, and their fingers closed around one another's.
Together, hand in hand, they watched the fireworks, until rain began to pour down on top of them. The air was filled with excited screams as adults scurried to take cover from the rain and children hurried to play in it.
“Oh no!” Zelda shrieked. She stood up and, still holding on to Link's hand, dragged him to an alleyway where the roofs of houses provided some protection from the downpour.
Link was suddenly worried about how stupid he must look, sopping wet and dripping water everywhere. He probably looked like a waterlogged rabbit. He looked around, trying to find something to distract himself with as he felt his face growing hot.
“Oh!” he exclaimed. Pulling his hand from hers, he reached into his pocket and pulled out a tiny, wrapped box, which he handed to Zelda. “Er…happy birthday,” he mumbled, embarrassed.
“Link, you shouldn't have,” Zelda said, taking the box from him. She tore off the paper, revealing a blue velvet jewelry box. Opening it, she saw that it contained a pair of earrings. They were made of two perfectly round, pink stones which dangled on the end of a short, silver chain. The stones seemed to glow, as though with their own inner light.
Ugh, pink, Zelda thought, but she didn't want to say it out loud. Link might get his feelings hurt. “Um, wow, they're um, really pretty,” she managed.
Link was still staring at his feet, his cheeks tainted a slight pink. “They're made of starstone, mined in the mountains of Carydanus,” he told her.
“Thank you, Link,” Zelda said. Smiling up at him, she stood on tiptoe and gave him a small peck on the lips, then looked away, blushing.
 
Malon was suddenly very glad it was raining. With rain water pouring down her cheeks, she couldn't tell if she was crying or not. She would never forgive herself if she cried over a boy. She thought back to all the pathetic girls she had scorned, letting their lives be ruined by some boy. How many times had she sworn never to let that happen to her? Besides, she had always known that Link liked Zelda. If Zelda liked him back, why shouldn't she kiss him? It wasn't all that big of deal. Even so, she felt as though someone had just stabbed her in the heart, and it hurt more than anything in the world. And suddenly, she knew she was crying, because the tears felt hot against her face, and the rain was just a cold shower, washing over her.
She turned and ran down the street, sobbing, not minding that she lost her cap and her long red hair was flowing free behind her, not caring when she slipped in a mud puddle and fell, scraping her knee. None of that mattered anyway. She ran as fast as she could out of Hyrule Castletown, away from that terrible place, and buried her face in the sleek wet neck of her one true companion, the only one who had ever truly been there for her since her mother died. And she let the tears flow freely, mingling with the rain water that soaked the coat of her only friend in the world.
 
Link could feel his face on fire, and his heart hammering wildly in his chest. She had just kissed him! He felt giddy; his head was spinning. Zelda had just kissed him! The Princess of Hyrule had just kissed him! He was quite certain that this was going to be the best thing he would ever experience in his life, because Zelda, the girl he had a crush on since he first laid eyes on her when he was ten years old, had just kissed him.
“Um, I guess we should get going,” Zelda suggested quietly.
“Yeah,” Link agreed, unable to keep from smiling.
Zelda took his hand once more, and together they walked out of the alley and in the direction of Hyrule Castle, and Link was positive that nothing could ruin this perfect day.
“That's them! There they are!” a voice called.
“Quick! Grab him!” yelled a second voice, and suddenly, armed soldiers were pouring down on top of Link, and they had grabbed him and pulled Zelda away. One of the soldiers took his sword.
Link struggled against the strong, hard grip of the man who held him. “Hey! Let go of me!” he demanded.
“I don't think so,” the soldier who had grabbed him said. “You're under arrest for kidnapping the Princess of Hyrule.”