The Legend Of Zelda Fan Fiction / Legend Of Zelda Fan Fiction ❯ Choices of the Heart ❯ Chapter 3 ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 3:
Malon laughed. The wind blew her hair out behind her as she and Link galloped across Hyrule Field on Epona's back. “Link, this is amazing!” she half-shouted, half-laughed. She felt as though her heart would float away any moment; she was certain this would be the happiest moment of her life.
Link smiled, feeling relieved that Ren's plan had worked. Maybe now she would tell him whatever she knew about L.R., he was certain she knew something. He did not think he had imagined the look of terror he had seen on her face, even if it had only been for less than a second. Epona galloped to Lake Hylia, and they came to a stop beside the crystal clear water. Link slid off Epona's back and held up his hand to help Malon down.
She could easily have climbed down on her own, but Malon happily took Link's outstretched hand. Once her feet hit the grassy bank, Malon beamed up at Link. “Link, what's all this for?” she asked.
Link smiled back at her, glad to see her so happy. If it had been Zelda, he probably would have been dying of embarrassment right now, but he never had that problem around Malon. He was always more comfortable with Malon than anyone else, even Saria and Zelda. That was why he considered her his best friend.
“This is my way of saying sorry about yesterday,” he told her. “Do you forgive me?”
Malon grinned happily. A tug at her heart told her this didn't mean anything; Link still liked Zelda more than her, and he probably always would. She ignored it. Right now, nothing else mattered except that she was happier than she had been in a long time. “Of course I do,” she said. She didn't even care about the kiss anymore, because right now, Link was devoting all his time to her, and no one else.
“Oh, I brought some food and a blanket. I thought it would be fun to have a picnic,” Link said, taking off the pack he had laid across Epona's back and setting it on the ground.
Malon knelt down beside him to help him unpack it and lay everything out. “Remember when we used to beg my Dad to let us come down here and have a picnic all the time?”
Link laughed. “Yeah. He'd always go on and on about how we were too young to go off on our own, just to wind up letting us go anyway.”
Malon laughed as well, and took a seat on the spread out blanket. “Yep. He's always doing stuff like that!”
The two children spent the rest of the afternoon laughing and talking about their shared happy memories while they ate fish sandwiches. Malon smiled to herself. It seemed like forever since she and Link had this much fun together. Lately, it seemed like all he ever wanted to talk about was Zelda.
“Look, Link! Isn't it beautiful?” Malon pointed at the sky. Shades of red, orange, and pink streaked the sky as the sun slowly set. Link joined her in watching the sunset, the two of them admiring the natural beauty.
Malon looked at Link, sitting across from her on the blanket, watching the sky with the awe of a child seeing its first sunset. She smiled. Despite everything he had told her about, beneath the façade of Hero, Link was still just a normal kid. It made her happy. She sometimes wondered if maybe Link found her childish and immature, because he had already been through so much, but looking at him now, she could tell he would never think something like that. If anything, he probably enjoyed the innocence he had lost so long ago.
The girl's smile faded. Something had been pressing on the back of her mind all day, but she had pushed it aside. Now, she figured, she had probably better just tell him and get it over with, even if she didn't really want to bring that up again. She took a deep breath.
“Hey, Link?” Link looked at her. Malon looked at her hands folded in her lap, and moved her fingers around. “You remember earlier, when you asked me if I know someone who might have an obsession with me? Someone who likes to paint?” Link nodded, all of his attention focused on her now. Malon stretched her fingers out, then folded them once more. She looked up at Link. “I might know someone.”
“Who?” Link asked, watching her. He felt scared, and at the same time, he wanted to find out everything he could about L.R.
“It was about two years ago,” Malon said. “I was doing a delivery for my Dad to someone in Hyrule Castletown. His name was Ladarius. He was very kind. He paid me, then asked me if I would like something to eat or drink. I told him no thank you, but he insisted, so I stayed and had tea. He talked to me, told me stories, asked me about myself. I was a little hesitant at first, but he really was nice, and I found I liked him a lot. We became pretty close friends. Sometimes he would come to visit me, and I would visit him.”
“What did he look like?” Link interrupted.
Malon's brow creased. “Look like?” She shook her head. “I don't know. He always wore a hood over his face. I asked him about it once, but he just said he had his reasons, and I decided not to pry.”
Link frowned at his feet. “I was afraid of that,” he mumbled to himself.
Malon raised her eyebrows, but continued with her story. “One day, he told me he had something to show me. He led me into a room I had not noticed before. The door was designed so that it blended in with the wall. The room was empty except for a desk and an easel covered with a cloth. He brought me into the room, and took the cloth off the easel. It was a painting of me. Not the best painting, but I could still tell it was supposed to be me. I was flattered. He said I had inspired him, and ever since he first met me, he had always wanted to paint me. Then he took me out of the room and locked the door behind him, and I went home.
“A few weeks later, I went to visit him again, and he said he had something else to show me. He brought me to the room again, but it wasn't empty as it had been before. Almost an entire wall was covered in paintings, and all of them were of me in different settings, but there was one that disturbed me the most. It was a picture of me, only a little older. I was wearing a beautiful white dress, like a wedding dress, and he was standing beside me. I was only a child at the time; I didn't know what to think. I only knew that I was frightened of the painting, and of all the other paintings that had me in them.
I think he sensed that I was frightened. He told me he knew I was still young, and that he wasn't too much older than me, but that he felt a bond between us that he had never felt with anyone else before. He said that when I came of age, he wanted to marry me. It scared me. I wasn't very old, but I knew I didn't want to marry him, and I told him so. He got angry. I could almost feel the hatred and anger building up inside him. I ran away, and after that I never saw him again.”
She looked at Link. His hands were clenched into fists, and he looked scared and angry. He stared into her eyes. “Why didn't you ever tell anyone? Why didn't you tell me?”
Malon looked away, feeling abashed. “I don't know. I didn't want to. I just wanted to forget about it.”
Link bit his lip so hard it drew blood. He stared at the still waters of the lake for several moments, and then stood up. He turned back to Malon. “It's getting late. I should probably take you home,” he said.
Malon nodded and stood up. In silence they gathered and repacked the things, and then climbed onto Epona. “Hey, Link?” Malon said tentatively, but he was too lost in thought to hear her, and she did not try again. They said nothing the entire ride back to Lon Lon Ranch.
Link stopped outside Malon's house, and helped her down. “Malon,” he said, his tone serious. She looked up at him, scared to meet his eyes, but he held her gaze anyway. “I need you to come to the castle with me tomorrow. Do you think you can?”
“The castle?” Malon repeated. “Are you sure? I mean, is it okay?”
Link nodded. “It'll be fine, Zelda will make sure of that. This is serious.”
Malon watched his face in the dark of twilight. It was times like these when she knew that the stories he told her were true, when she could see the experience and wisdom of many long years beyond his own written across his face, and in his tone. She nodded.
“Good,” Link said, mounting Epona. “I'll come to pick you up tomorrow morning.”
“Okay,” she said.
“Be careful, okay?” Malon nodded, and with a wave goodbye, Link rode out of the ranch.
---
Link was standing in a dungeon much like the one he had been placed in at Hyrule Castle. The damp, dark walls smelt of mold and death. His heart hammered wildly in his chest. He looked around, expecting something to appear out of the shadows and grab him at any moment. He could sense something dark and terrifying, but he could not see it.
Someone was coming, he could hear it, footsteps down that long dark hallway, and the sound of something being dragged across the dungeon floor. The person came into Link's view, and he gasped in horror.
“Malon!” he shouted.
Her body hung before him, limp, bruised, and bloody. She looked deathly pale, and her head lolled to one side. Someone held her arm roughly, dragging her across the ground, someone in a dark hood that covered his face in shadows. Link could almost feel the cold, sadistic grin spreading across the hooded person's face.
“What have you done to her?” Link demanded, his fists clenched angrily before him.
“What have I done?” the person said in a low, raspy voice that was all too familiar. “I have done nothing. It is you that have done this to her. Just look.” The person raised an arm, and pointed at Malon's body. Link's eyes followed the hand, and he saw his own sword plunged deep into Malon's heart.
Link screamed and jerked awake. He was lying in his bed in the Kokiri Forest. Outside, stars twinkled in the dark night sky. Beads of sweat dripped down his face and soaked his body so that his clothing clung to his skin. He sat up, breathing hard, his heart pounding. The nightmare hung fresh and clear in the front of his memory. He rested his head in his hands, willing his breathing and his heart to slow. Why did he have that horrible nightmare? What did it mean?
He took a few moments to calm down, then slid off the bed and went outside. Climbing down the ladder, he quietly headed for Saria's house. “Saria?” he called softly, and when she did not reply, he stuck his head in the door. Saria lay peacefully asleep on her bed, her dreams not rendered with terrifying nightmares. Link quietly tiptoed into the house.
“Saria,” he said again, a little more loudly this time.
She stirred and opened her eyes. Turning her face, she blinked at Link in the darkness. When she realized he was standing there, she sat up. “Link, what's wrong?” she asked.
Link told her about his conversation with Malon earlier, and about the nightmare. “I was going to tell you tomorrow,” he said, “but then I had that nightmare. What do you think it means?”
Saria thought about it for a moment, then searched for Link's eyes in the darkness. “Link, in the past, you had dreams that were actually visions, right?” Link did not reply. He was afraid she would come to this conclusion, the same conclusion he had reached. Saria hesitated. “It's really horrible, but what if, well, what if it's actually a vision?”
Link shuddered. Saria had just spoken the words he had been so afraid to hear. How could it be true, though? “But Saria, that would mean that I, I mean, I could never do something like that.” He choked on the words as he uttered them. Was it possible that he would ever actually…?
Saria sighed deeply. “Oh, Link, I don't know,” she whispered. “I could never imagine that you could do something like that to anyone.” She looked up at him. “Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe it was just brought on by everything that's happened in the past couple of days. That makes more sense anyway.”
Link nodded, although he knew she believed it just as much as he did. Saria stopped for a moment; she seemed to be searching for something to say, to fill the awful silence. “Let's just try to figure everything out before we jump to conclusions,” she said finally.
“Okay,” Link agreed.
“You said you think this Ladarius Malon told you about is probably L.R., and you think he also might be the spirit that you met in the dungeon,” Saria relayed Link's theory back to him, and he nodded. “But that guard said that man in the dungeon died five years ago,” she continued. She looked at Link for his opinion. He just shrugged.
“Although,” Saria said, “I don't think it can be just a coincidence. What I don't understand is how Malon could have met someone two years ago who supposedly died five years ago. And you said the guard who told you the story also helped bury that man, right?”
“Yeah,” Link said. “And by what he said, I don't think there's anyway that man could have been faking.”
Saria pondered it for a moment. “We really need to find out what's going on. I think for now, it's best if we just stick to the original plan, to find out everything we can. Until we find out if that Ladarius character really is L.R., we can't figure anything out. We also need to try and find out who that man in the dungeon was, and why he was put there in the first place.”
Link nodded his agreement. “I'm taking Malon to see Zelda tomorrow. We'll explain what's been happening to her then, and maybe we can find out something from there.”
“Good,” Saria said. “Now, let's go back to bed. You're going to need a lot of rest if you're going to be dealing with Zelda and Malon together tomorrow.”
Link stared at her, confused. “Why? What do you mean?”
Saria smiled and shook her head. “Never mind. Just go to bed, I'm tired.”
Begrudgingly, Link obeyed. He went back to his own house and crawled into bed, but could not go to sleep. He lay awake for hours, tossing and turning, images from the nightmare playing across his mind. It was nearly dawn before he finally fell asleep.
---
Saria climbed up the ladder to Link's house a little after nine the next morning, and peered into the doorway. Link still lay fast asleep. For once, she hesitated at waking him up. She doubted he had gotten any sleep last night, but had probably lay awake thinking about that dream all night. Unfortunately, it was vital that Link get up early today, so that he and Malon could go talk to Zelda. They needed to figure out what was going on before it was too late, and Malon or anyone else got hurt.
She shook his shoulder gently. “Link, wake up,” she said. “You need to take Malon to go see Princess Zelda, remember?”
Link groaned, but sat up with a sigh and rubbed his eyes. “Thanks Saria,” he said, not looking at her but instead staring at the blanket. “Think you can wait outside while I change?”
“Okay,” Saria said, and went out onto the balcony.
Link changed into clean clothes, then joined her. “I guess I'll be going then.”
“All right. I'll see you later. Make sure you tell me everything when you get back.”
Link nodded and climbed down the ladder. Saria watched his back sadly as he headed for the exit. She felt so sorry for him, and for Zelda. It just didn't seem right that they couldn't have a normal childhood, and now poor Malon had somehow gotten dragged into all this. She just wished she could be more of a help, but it was impossible since she was forbidden to leave the forest.
---
Link led Malon down the path to the castle. The guard greeted Link and opened the gate. “I always forget how big this place is,” Malon said, staring at the humongous castle before them.
“Yeah,” Link agreed absentmindedly.
Malon studied him. It wasn't like Link to be this lost in his thoughts. Was he still anxious over what she had told him yesterday, or had something else happened? She pursed her lips, wishing he could bother to tell her what was going on his head every once and awhile. Wasn't that what best friends were supposed to be for? She frowned. Or maybe he only tells Zelda what's bothering him, she thought bitterly.
Realizing what she was thinking, she mentally shook herself. This was no time to start getting jealous over Zelda again. Whatever was bothering Link, he was obviously planning on telling both of them, and since it seemed to be pretty important, she would just have to get over her jealousy for the present. After about five minutes, they reached the entrance to the castle. The two guards recognized Link, but they seemed unsure about Malon. Link assured them that Zelda would see both of them, and they relented and allowed them inside.
Link could tell by the look on Malon's face that she was just as amazed by the inside of Hyrule Castle as he had been. He smiled a little, until Malon's limp, bloody body, plunged through with his sword, flashed across his mind once again. He felt sick. He wanted to get far away from Malon, because it was too dangerous for her to be anywhere near him, but he resisted. He knew Malon needed to find out what was going on, for her own safety.
The servant who had run to inform Zelda of her visitors returned, saying with a bow that the Princess was on her way to greet them, and to please be patient. Link nodded, and Malon just looked nervous and frightened. Sure enough, a few minutes later, the blond princess came hurrying down the corridor to greet them. Link could tell by the pinched look on her face that she was angry, but she seemed to be holding it in for now.
“Good morning, Link,” she said curtly, giving him a slight nod of the head. She turned to Malon, and a falsely sweet smile spread across her face but did not reach her eyes, which remained tinged with jealousy.
“You must be Malon,” Zelda said.
Malon hurried into a clumsy curtsy. “It's a pleasure to meet you, Your Highness,” she stammered awkwardly.
Zelda nodded again in reply. “And you as well.”
Link peered at Zelda curiously, wondering about the abnormally formal behavior. He had thought she would be thrilled to spend time with someone from outside the castle other than him, but apparently he was wrong. Maybe she was acting this way because she was mad? He sighed inwardly. It seemed like there always had to be someone mad at him. Well, Zelda would get over it once they started discussing L.R.; she would have to.
“This way,” Zelda said, turning and leading them down the corridor.
Link and Malon followed. As they continued through the castle, Link began to feel slightly confused. “Aren't we going to the courtyard?” he asked.
Zelda shot him a glare over her shoulder, much to Link's surprise. “I thought we would use one of the castle rooms today,” she said.
“Oh, okay,” Link mumbled, even more confused than before.
Malon chewed on her lip as Zelda led them through the castle. Link seemed utterly befuddled as to what Zelda was so upset about, but Malon had a feeling she knew. She had expected Zelda to behave a little more maturely though, all things considered. Zelda was supposed to be the Sage of Wisdom, according to Link's stories. Then again, maybe this was her way of behaving maturely. Princess Zelda seemed to have her own way of doing things.
Zelda finally led them into a bedroom. It seemed to be one of the lesser used rooms in the castle, since its contents were covered in a fine layer of dust, as though it was only cleaned perhaps once a month. The princess sat gracefully down onto one of the two chairs in the room, and indicated for Link to sit in the one beside her. Left with no other choices, Malon sat cautiously on the bed, feeling awkward and a little unsure of herself. She and Zelda looked at each other, and the tension in the room was quite apparent as they looked into one another's eyes.
In a condescending manner, Zelda turned away from Malon and looked at Link instead. “Well?” she said.
Link looked awkwardly between the two girls, then gave up trying to figure out what was going on. “I think Malon might have met L.R.,” he told Zelda.
Zelda swallowed and glanced at the redhead. She couldn't help feeling jealous of her, but she was trying her best not to completely lose it in front of the poor girl, who looked nervous and scared. Zelda suddenly felt a little bad about how she was behaving. “How so?” she asked, trying to sound a little less haughty and not certain if she succeeded. It was taking almost all of her will to stay calm.
Malon noticed that the princess sounded like she was trying to be a bit nicer with this last question, which was directed toward Malon. She took a deep breath, and tried to force a smile, then repeated the story she had told to Link.
Zelda contemplated the girl's story. It was frightening, and she definitely thought Ladarius was probably L.R. “Malon, did you ever find out Ladarius' surname?” she asked. Malon shook her head. Zelda turned to Link. “Have you told her anything yet?”
“Not yet,” Link replied.
“What haven't you told me yet?” Malon asked, looking at Link.
Link told Malon the story about the painting he had seen in the castle, and what Zelda had told him about the artist. He proceeded to tell her about his experience with the hooded man in the dungeon, and as he continued, her face began to grow pale with fright. By the time Link had finished with the story, she was shaking, and her eyes were wide.
“Link, do you think it's really possible that Ladarius is the same person you met in the dungeon?” Zelda asked once Link was finished. “Didn't the guard you met say he had died five years ago?”
“I don't know,” Link said. “Saria pointed out the same thing, but it just seems like too much of a coincidence.”
“It's definitely the same person,” Malon broke in. Link and Zelda looked at her. “The way you described him is exactly how I felt the last time I saw him. He's the same person. I'm almost positive of it.”
“It doesn't make sense though. How could he have died five years ago if Malon met him two years ago?” Zelda wondered, pointing out the same issue that Saria had pointed out the night before. She thought about it for a moment. “Maybe he only made it look like he had died.”
“But the guard said when he helped bury him, he was definitely dead,” Link protested.
“There are other ways to fake a death than just pretending to be dead,” Zelda said. “The guard said the body had been eaten by rats. If that's so, then it would have been easy for him to switch clothes with someone, and no one would ever know the body wasn't his. As for the spirit you saw, Link, there are magics that can be used to show a physical image to a person, as I'm sure you learned from Phantom Ganon.”
“That could be it!” Link said. “What do you think Malon?”
Malon shrugged. She still looked a bit pale. “It does seem like something he would do.”
Zelda nodded. “I believe that has to be what happened. There's no other way to explain it.” The other two nodded in agreement, and Zelda continued. “Now that we've decided that he's not really dead, we only have to find him. Malon, do you still remember where his house was?”
Malon nodded, catching on. “I can show Link where it is!”
“Wait a minute!” Link interrupted, and the two girls turned to him with questioning looks. “Shouldn't we be trying figure out what he's planning to do, and when?”
“I don't think that's too hard,” Zelda said. “Malon, are you thirteen yet?” Malon shook her head. “When is your birthday?” Zelda asked.
“Kokisebesh seventh,” Malon told her.
“Traditionally, a girl's coming of age, when she is eligible to be married, is when she turns thirteen. The practice has died down somewhat, but girls can still be married as early as thirteen,” Zelda explained. “I think Ladarius may be planning on trying to force Malon to marry him when she turns thirteen.”
“Can he do that?” Link asked, looking shocked.
Malon nodded. “It was the first thought I had when you mentioned him,” she said.
“But that means we only have…” Link counted on his fingers. “A little less than four weeks.”
Zelda and Malon nodded. “Possibly less, since he may be planning on kidnapping her beforehand,” Zelda said.
“Let's get started right away then!” Link cried, jumping up out of the chair, his fists clenched. “I'll kill that bastard before I let him lay a hand on Malon.”
Malon blushed, looking embarrassed and happy at the words. Zelda frowned at Malon's pink cheeks. Zelda wanted so badly to tell Malon that Link didn't like her that way, but she bit her tongue. Now was not the time for jealousy. “You're right,” Zelda said, standing up as well. “Malon, do you think you can show us where the house is right now?” she asked the wall.
“Okay,” Malon said, standing up along with the other two. She was terrified to be going to that house again, but she knew she would have to this time, for the sake of her own safety.
“Zelda, do you think I can talk to you alone first?” Link asked.
“Of course,” Zelda said. She looked at Malon. “I guess we can go out in the hall.”
Link nodded and followed her out of the room. She shut the door behind them, and turned to him. “What is it?”
Link took a deep breath to steady his pounding heart. He could feel himself beginning to break out in a cold sweat. With some difficulty, he told Zelda about the nightmare.
Zelda's face was one of horror and pity. “Link! That's awful!” she exclaimed. “You don't think it could be a vision, do you?”
“I don't know. I hope not,” Link said quietly. He looked into her face, and Zelda could see he was on the verge of tears. It shocked and worried her.
“Don't worry, Link,” she said, trying to sound reassuring. “It was probably just a silly nightmare, and nothing more. Besides, if Ladarius wants to marry her, I really doubt that he's going to kill Malon.”
“But I was the one who killed her,” Link said, almost angrily. “Not Ladarius, not anyone else. Me.”
Zelda placed a hand on his arm. “You don't know that. It was your sword, but you never saw yourself actually killing her. Maybe Ladarius wanted you to have that dream, because he knew it would make you doubt yourself. If he can use enough magic to make a phantom clone of himself, I'm sure he has the ability to do something. Don't let it get to you, all right?”
Zelda gave Link a reassuring smile, and turned to go back into the room. Link watched her back. Was he just imagining it, or had she matured within the last couple of hours? It was almost like she had returned to the Zelda he had known before she sent him back to his childhood, instead of the cheerful, easily excited girl he had grown to know in the past several years. Did being put in a situation like this bring out a personality she had buried under the persona of a normal girl?
“Link, snap out of it!” Zelda yelled, waving her hand in front of Link's face. Link came out of his thoughts, and stared at Zelda, and Malon behind her.
“Come on, we're going to sneak out of the castle and go find Ladarius' house,” Malon said.
---
“Sneaking out of the castle is kinda hard, but it's a lot of fun,” Malon commented as the three of them walked through Hyrule Castletown.
Zelda had changed into a different dress, so as not to give away her royal status. The dress she wore now was light blue, and of a much simpler design than most of her dresses, so she looked like a normal girl instead of the princess of an entire kingdom.
“We know. We've done it before,” Zelda said.
The tension between the two girls had eased slightly, but it was still present. Malon fought the urge to slap the snobby princess. Instead, she consented herself with a biting comeback. Mustering up the haughtiest tone she could manage, she said to the princess, “Of course I know that! Link tells me everything.”
Zelda crossed her arms over her chest and glared at the redhead. Link sighed. How long were they going to keep this up? It was giving him a headache. He wasn't even sure why they were acting this way. As far as he knew, they had no reason to hate each other as much as they seemed to. He had expected them to get along really well, and yet they seemed to have been fighting nonstop for the past half hour.
Malon suddenly stopped, the blood draining slowly from her face. She pointed at the door to a house Link recognized as a door he had never been able to open during his travels through time. “That's it,” she whispered hoarsely.
Link and Zelda exchanged glances. Link approached the house cautiously, and peered into the window. Inside, the house was dark, and cobwebs lined the window frame. He stood back, and looked at the two girls. “It doesn't look like anyone lives here,” he told them.
Zelda walked up to the door and gently tried to turn the handle. It didn't budge. “It's locked,” she said, stepping away, and also peering into the window.
Hesitantly, Malon joined the other two, and looked into the dark window. “Couldn't we break in?” she asked cautiously. Link and Zelda stared at her. She shrugged. “We could break one of the back windows and climb through.”
“It's not a bad idea, actually,” Zelda said, not much to Link's surprise. She glanced at the crowded streets. “We'd have to do it at night though, so we're less likely to get caught.”
“Aren't there guards out here at night, though?” Malon asked, and Link nodded.
Zelda thought about this issue. “Maybe we could do something to do distract them.”
“We could set off some bombs,” Link suggested.
“Better yet, we can use Bombchus,” Malon said. “That way, we can hide while we set them off so we don't risk getting caught.”
Zelda nodded vigorously, and Link could tell by the look in her eyes that she was starting to get excited by this new scheme. Why had he made that suggestion again? The two girls, despite having hated each other not even five minutes ago, were now huddled together, planning excitedly. Link shook his head. Girls confused him way too much.
---
Link cringed when he heard a wolf howl, signaling that it was time for them to put their plan into action. The three of them were now in Zelda's bedroom, dressed in all black clothes and carrying bombs and Bombchus in their pockets. Zelda had gone to bed early, pretending to be sick. Link and Malon had spent the afternoon hastily hiding under her bed or in her closet whenever someone would come into the room. Impa thought they had gone home hours ago, when Zelda started feeling `sick'.
The plan was that they would sneak back out of the castle as soon as the sun went down, and head for town. Before they reached the town though, they would climb up the vine wall along the path. Link would set off one of the bombs, distracting the guards while the girls made a run for town. He would stay behind to make sure they made it all right, and then follow behind, setting off another bomb if he needed to.
They would then hide in the alley on the opposite side of town as the house, send a Bombchu in the direction of the guards, then sneak around the back of the alley to the other side, and break into the house.
“Hurry up, Link!” Zelda said. She and Malon were at the door, waiting for Link to quit stalling and join them.
“Yeah, yeah,” Link muttered, walking over to the door. “You don't have to be a decoy.”
“Link, you're scared, aren't you?” Malon whispered as they snuck out into the corridor, quietly shutting the door behind them. Zelda had placed pillows under the covers on her bed, so it looked like she was sleeping.
“I'm not!” Link cried defensively, a little too loudly.
“Shh!” Zelda hissed.
“Yes you are. I can tell,” Malon whispered back to him. Link opened his mouth to say something in reply, but Zelda shot a glare at him, and he quickly shut it. Malon giggled silently.
They snuck through the dark castle to the courtyard, then proceeded to sneak out in the normal way. Getting past the gate was easy, and the second part of their plan began. Taking turns, Zelda going first since it would be the worst if she got caught, they scaled the vines on the wall. Link ran closer to the gate, and pulled out a bomb. Hesitating slightly, he lit the fuse, then threw it on the ground and quickly ducked behind the Gossip Stone.
He heard the guard standing at the gate curse under his breath, and run several feet away from the bomb, just before it exploded. The guards standing at the entrance to Hyrule Castletown heard the explosion, and came running to find out what had happened. Link looked at the two girls crouched low on the ground a few feet away, and motioned for them to go.
“Someone threw it from up there!” the first guard was yelling, and Link could hear them running right under his hiding path.
He glanced at the girls to make sure they had safely made it to the town. One of them had gotten her foot caught in a vine, and was struggling to set it free with the help of the other. Hurry up you two! Link thought, watching them. The girl with her foot caught suddenly managed to get it free, and felt backwards with a shriek.
Link wanted to slap his forehead. He heard one of the guards say, “Who's there?”, and they started to run in the direction of the girls.
Link shot to his feet. “Aah! I'm a cucco!” he started yelling, running around the cliff, waving his arms wildly.
“What the—?” a guard exclaimed, staring at Link. “Hey, you! Get down from there!”
The three guards ran back in Link's direction. Acting quickly, Link took off running in the direction of the castle, still on top of the wall. What the hell am I doing? he wondered as he ran. The guards hastily opened the gate and ran behind him, yelling. Many of the other guards had noticed the commotion, and come to see what was going.
Link grabbed his last bomb out of his pocket, and lit it. He only had one chance at this. Taking aim as best he could while still running, he threw it. He heard the bomb explode, and saw pieces of rock fly into the air.
Yes! He jumped as he came to the space, landing behind the sign, and quickly scurried into the small opening where a boulder had once been. He heard the guards run past him, yelling to each other about some crazy kid who thought he was a cucco running around throwing bombs. Apparently, they hadn't realized what he had done. He breathed a sigh of relief, and crawled back out of the hole.
“Come on, let's go,” he said, feeling very irritated with the two of them.
Still giggling, the girls followed him as he headed for the house, but as they came nearer, they stopped giggling, and an eerie silence fell over them. They quietly moved to the side of the house, out of view of anyone coming down either of the paths. A single window was set into the wall. Drawing his sword and signaling for the girls to move back, Link jammed the blade into the glass, shattering it and sending it flying everywhere. For a second they cringed, afraid one of the guards might have returned and heard it, but no one came. Doing the best he could, Link cleared out the jagged glass still remaining, then climbed carefully into the rectangular hole. He turned to help the girls through.
Once they were all inside, the three looked at their surroundings. The inside of the house was small. A table and chair were placed in the center, and against the walls sat a small bed, an oven, and a bookshelf. The walls were undecorated. Thick layers of dust covered everything, and as they moved, they kicked the dust up into their air, causing them to cough and sputter, and making their eyes water.
“It looks exactly the same,” Malon whispered, her voice shaking slightly.
Zelda lit the orb of light, and it hovered in front of her, illuminating the small room, and casting dark, eerie shadows on the floors and walls. Unconsciously, the three huddled close together as they moved to the back of the house, the small orb lighting their way. They walked along the back wall, and near the far right, Malon made a small coughing noise, and Link and Zelda saw the hinges of a door, carefully camouflaged to blend in with the wall.
Link looked from Zelda to Malon. With a deep breath he said, “Well, here it goes,” and reached for the handle.