The Lion King Fan Fiction ❯ The Lion King 4 Dawn of A New Era ❯ Chapter 3

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

The sun rose on the horizon, coating Pride Rock in a brilliant shade of reddish orange. The Pride was still asleep peacefully in the den.

The royal family laid close to each other. Their young daughter Kiara was wedged between her parents, breathing gently. She nuzzled into Simba's mane and relaxed.

Nala shifted in her sleep and her eyes slowly opened. She groaned as she tried to sit up.

A sharp pain shot through her abdomen as she let out a roar of pain. Simba and Kiara awoke right away, followed by the rest of the Pride.

"Nala!" Simba breathed out in fear.

"Mommy?" Kiara whimpered.

"Simba …" Nala said through gritted teeth. "It's … it's time …"

Simba tensed up more. He turned to one of the lionesses. "Kutoa! Get Rafiki!

"Daddy? What's wrong?" Kiara asked, nuzzling against Simba's legs. "Is mommy okay?" She let out an anxious whine.

Simba sighed and looked around in haste. "Mom!"

Sarabi went over. "Yes Simba?" Her voice was filled with worry for Nala.

"Can you take Kiara on a walk?" He asked, his eyes darting back to Nala.

Sarabi gave him a warm, reassuring smile. "Of course." She nuzzled him gently.

Sarabi looked down at her granddaughter. "Come on sweetie, I wanna show you some beautiful flowers I found the other day."

"O .. okay …" Kiara sniffled. "But … is mommy going to be okay?"

Sarabi looked back over at Nala. Her mother Sarafina had already rushed to her side. Simba stood on the other side, trying to keep Nala calm. He made eye contact with his mother.

Sarabi smiled again, and without looking away said, "She'll be just just fine …"

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Sarabi lead Kiara onto the savannah plains. The animals were starting to wake up and go about their days as usual, not yet knowing of the big news.

The grass had mostly grown back since Scar's reign had ended, but some patches still remained bare, a reminder of the past. Everytime Sarabi came across one of these spots, she grimaced slightly.

Kiara knew roughly what happened, but not enough to mourn like everyone else. If anything she just looked a little taken off guard when her paws landed on a rough patch of dirt instead of grass like she was expecting.

"So what flowers did you see grandma?" Kiara asked, excitedly, trying to keep up with Sarabi's long strides.

"A beautiful patch of lotus flowers." Sarabi said, softly. "They're so wonderful, I think you're going to enjoy them."

Kiara's smile widened as she bounded over to Sarabi. "Wow really!? I love lotus flowers!"

Sarabi let out a small laugh. "I know you do sweetheart. That's why I wanted to show them to you."

They stopped on a small hill covered with small pink and white flowers. Giggling happily, Kiara pounced into the patch of lotus flowers and started to frolic around.

A small yellow butterfly landed on her nose, causing another fit of giggles.

Sarabi smiled as she laid down in the grass. It took her a moment, as she was getting older and sometimes her muscles ached when she tried to get up or lay down.

"Good morning your majesty!" A voice greeted.

Sarabi looked up at the hornbill fluttering above her. "Good morning Zazu."

He landed in front of the flowers and bowed to Kiara. "Good morning your grace."

Kiara looked up from the butterfly she was currently pursuing. "Hi Zazu!"

"What are you two doing up so bright and early?" He asked.

"Nala went into labor." Sarabi explained. "Simba asked me to take Kiara for a walk."

"Oh goodness!" Zazu said. "I didn't know! Why didn't anyone tell me? Ooooh … I must be there!"

"Zazu, calm down." Sarabi said, the smoothness of her voice made that easy to do.

Zazu breathed in and out trying to calm down. "Right … I might have been overreacting a bit." He let out a small, nervous laugh.

Kiara looked over. "Labor? What's that?"

"It means your little brother or sister is going to be born soon." Sarabi explained.

Kiara's face lit up. "Really!?" She started skipping through the bed of flowers, startling the butterfly away.

"Yes." Sarabi said. "But your mother needs some alone time to give birth."

"Is that why we went on a walk?" Kiara asked.

"Exactly." Sarabi said, staggering up. "Do you want to head back now and check on her?"

"Okay!" Kiara said, running to her side.

Zazu landed on Sarabi's shoulder as they headed back to Pride Rock.

"Hey grandma? What was it like when I was born?" Kiara asked.

"It was a wonderful night" Sarabi said.

"If I recall correctly, you were born during a storm." Zazu said. "Simba was in quite a panic when your mother went into labor." He let out a small chuckle.

"And when you were born, your father held you close and snuggled and groomed you the rest of the night." Sarabi said.

"Really?"

"Yes. He loved you so much Kiara …. And he still does."

When they neared the den, there was a silence in the air. Sarabi and Zazu paused in front of the entrance and looked at each other for a second.

Sarabi looked at Kiara. "Stay here for a second, all right honey?"

"All right grandma." Kiara said.

Sarabi entered and Kiara stayed put. However curiosity got the better of her and she leaned her ear in slightly, trying to listen to what was going on.

She managed to catch a few snippets of the conversation going on inside:

"He's so adorable!"

"Do you have a name picked out for him yet?"

"Congratulations!"

"He looks so strong and healthy!"

"He's got his father's fur!"

"And his grandfather's nose!"

"A look at those lovely spots on his legs!"

"He's so precious!"

"So adorable!"

Sarabi exited the den and looked at her. "Come on in Kiara."

Kiara rushed over to her mother. The lionesses gathered around her moved out of the way to let her in. She stopped in front of her mother who was grooming a newborn cub.

Nala gave her daughter a loving look. "Kiara this is Kion, your baby brother."

Kiara peaked over Nala's front legs to get a good look at him. The small cub shifted slightly, and sniffed the air. Kiara put her nose against Kion's, and he let out a small mew.

Kiara giggled and gave him a small loving lick. Kion sniffed again and nuzzled against Kiara's nose.

"Would you like to hold him?" Nala asked.

Kiara's eyes widened and a large smile spread across her face. "Yeah!"

"All right, lay down and sit very still." Nala said.

Kiara laid on her stomach, still jittering a bit.

"Keep still honey." Nala said, placing her paw slightly on Kiara's back to calm her down.

Once her shaking died down, Nala scooped Kion into her mouth and placed him in Kiara's paws. Kion shifted around, trying to find a comfortable way to lay in Kiara's arms.

Kiara nuzzled him and let out a low purr. Kion arched his head slowly and returned the nuzzle the best he could.

The lionesses gathered around Kiara, cooing at how adorable she and her younger brother were.

"Hey, we heard the great news!" Timon's voice boomed through the cave.

"Ooooh, I'm so excited to see the little guy!" Pumbaa sniffled.

"Oh Timmy!" Timon's Ma squealed in delight. "This is so exciting!"

The three of them went over to Simba and Nala.

"Timon, Pumbaa." Simba smiled. "Oh, it's nice to see you again Mzazi, it's been a while."

Timon's Ma blushed bashfully. "Oh thank you your highness."

They went over to Kiara.

"Oh, Kiara! I haven't seen you in ages!" Ma said, lovingly pinching Kiara's cheek. "You've grown so much!"

Kiara pulled back from the cheek pinching and let out a small laugh. "Hi auntie Mzazi."

"Aww, is this the little guy?" Pumbaa asked, looking at Kion.

Kiara nodded. "Yeah! His name is Kion!"

"Hey Simba! He looks just like you!" Timon said.

"I think our cubs just take after their father." Nala said,nuzzling Simba.

"Mommy?" Kiara asked.

"Yes?"

"Is Kion gonna get presented like I was?"

"Of course he is, sweetheart." Nala said. "We're gonna wait until he's a few weeks older though. That way he'll be able to see all the animals."

"Oh okay!"

That was a lot easier explanation than trying to go into how squirmy newborn cubs could be. Not to mention he'd probably be anxious to be taken away from his mother and suddenly lifted into the air. Kiara was just barely out of the toddler age herself, so it was best to keep it simple for her.

"Oh, I remember your presentation!" Ma said proudly, pinching Kiara's cheek again. "You were the cutest little thing!"

Kiara gave her a slight nuzzle. "Thanks aunt Mzazi."

She pulled back and embraced TImon. "But no one was a cuter baby than my Timmy!"

"Ma!" Timon groaned in embarrassment.

"Oh, you were the sweetest little baby!" She cooed. "Kind of fussy, but still so precious!"

She tightened her hug, squishing Timon. For an elder meerkat, she still had a vice like grip.

"Ma …" Timon coughed out. "... Too …. Tight .."

Not hearing him (or pretending she didn't), Ma kept hugging and nuzzled Timon closer.

Timon looked over bashfully at his friends. They all gave him small smiles, not trying to hide the fact that they found Ma's coddling absolutely adorable.

"All right Ma ... " Timon said, managing to push her back. "I think we're good for now."

"Oh I'm sorry Timmy." She sniffled. "It just brought back such good memories!"

Timon softened and gave her a small pat on the back, letting out a small sigh of defeat. "It's all right Ma …"

Mzazi clung to Timon again, and this time he returned the hug.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

A week later Kion's eyes had opened and he was able to take small, unsteady steps. He made his way over to his big sister who was still fast asleep.

Kion climbed up her leg and started tugging on her ear.

"Huh?" Kiara groggily groaned out, her sight coming into focus. "... Kion?"

Hearing his name, the young cub pulled back and smiled widely at Kiara. She let out a small giggle and nuzzled him. "Good morning!"

Kion let out a baby noise and bit Kiara's ear again.

"Kion, stop!" Kiara laughed. She gently pushed him off with his paw. Kion let out a small series of giggles, and snuggled into Kiara's front legs, resting his head on her chest.

"Good morning you two." Nala said, going over to them. She leaned down to their level and gave them both a loving nuzzle. She looked Kion in the eyes. "It's a big day for you sweetheart."

Kiara blinked. "What do you mean, mommy?"

"Kion's presentation is today." Nala said, grabbing Kion from her.

"Oh! Cool!" Kiara said, perking up.

Nala laid beside her and started grooming Kion. "Let's make sure you look good for your presentation sweetie. The whole Pride is going to see you today!"

Kion let out a small laugh and relaxed into his mother's grooming. Kiara got up and was about to run off to play, when Nala pulled her back. "And where do you think you're going?"

"I wanna play!" Kiara protested.

"Not until you get your bath." Nala said, pulling her closer.

"Mommy!" Kiara laughed as Nala groomed her fur.

"You want to look nice for the ceremony don't you?" Nala asked.

Kiara nodded and rested her head on Nala's paws. She switched between grooming both her cubs, until Simba came over. "Hey, can you help me out a bit here?"

"Sure." Simba chuckled. He grabbed Kiara from her, and started grooming her.

"Daddy!" Kiara giggled, relaxing in his paws.

Rafiki entered the den, a big smile on his face. He went over to the royal lion family, He embraced Simba and Nala, then gave Kiara a slight pat on the head, before looking at Kion,

"It is time, Kion." Rafiki said, a laugh in his voice.

"Hey! Don't start without us, monkey boy!" Timon's voice boomed through the cave. He entered, followed closely by his Ma, Pumbaa, and a female meerkat with a patch of light blonde hair.

The blonde meerkat stood in front of Simba and Nala and bowed. "Hello. I am Tatiana. I've recently taken my father's place in The Circle of Life, and am the leader of your friend Timon's meerkat colony in the oasis."

Simba smiled, and bowed to her. "It's nice to meet you."

"I hope it's fine I came." She said. "I wanted to make sure we had a stable diplomatic relationship."

"Hakuna Matata." Simba said, a small smile forming on his face. "I'm glad you want to have ties with the pride."

She smiled warmly. "I strive to rule differently than my father. He was stubborn to even move from our colony grounds to the oasis, let alone make a pact with a pack of lions, just because an ex colony member, his warthog friend, his mom, and great Uncle could vouch for them. I however am willing to listen to them."

Tatiania took another step forward and put her paw out to Simba. "I hope things will be well between our kingdoms."

Simba put the tip of his paw out and "shook" hers the best he could. "I'm sure things will be."

"Aww! Look at you!" Ma cooed, patting Kion's head. "You even have a little mane tuft now!"

She put her paw over her heart as she gushed over the baby lion.

"Yeah, he's pretty adorable." Timon said. "Kinda makes me wanna have a kid of my own?"

Ma's eyes lit up. "You really mean it Timmy!?"

"Ma …"

She pulled him into a tight hug. "Oh! I've always wanted to be a grandmother Timmy!"

"Ma …" Timon coughed out again. "... I … don't even …. Have a mate … yet …"

"Oh, I know Timmy! But just the thought of having grandkids makes me so happy!" She sniffled.

"I know it does, Ma." Timon said, hugging her back. "I know it does …."

"Are we ready now?" Rafiki asked.

Nala nodded and gave Kion some last second grooming.

Rafiki picked up his stick and shook the gourds at the end of it. Kion let out a small happy squeak and pawed at them. Catching one of them between his paws, he started chewing on the hard shell.

Rafiki chuckled and gently pushed Kion off the gourd. He broke it open and smeared the juice on Kion's forehead.

Not liking the feeling of it, Kion tried to paw it off his head. Rafiki grabbed a handful of dirt and poured it over Kion.

Kion went into a small sneezing fit. Nala gently licked his cheek until the sneezing subsided. Rafiki gently grabbed Kion and headed out to the tip of Pride Rock.

The animals had heard the news about the birth of Simba and Nala's second born cub, and had rushed over as soon as they could. Right now they were silent, waiting for the presentation to begin.

Simba, Nala, Kiara, Timon, Pumbaa, Ma, Sarabi, and Sarafina all followed Rafiki as he approached the edge.

Slowly he lifted Kion into the air and the animals erupted in cheers. Kion looked around curiously, a big smile forming on his face.

Paws, feet, and hooves all clamped together in celebration of the future Lion Guard. It had been a generation since they'd last had one …. And it hadn't ended on the best terms …. But they had hope that Kion would break that infamousy now surrounding the duty of the second born royal cub, and be a kind, loyal, and brave Lion Guard.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .