The Melancholy Of Haruhi Suzumiya Fan Fiction / Love Hina Fan Fiction ❯ The Loneliness of Urashima Keitaro ❯ The Loneliness of Urashima Keitaro ( One-Shot )

[ A - All Readers ]

The Loneliness of Urashima Keitaro
 
 
 
SMACK
 
“Oww. Naru, that hurt!” cried Keitaro. He held his jaw, feeling the terrible numbness that meant throbbing pain was just about to start.
 
“PERVERT!” screamed Naru, tearing into him with a long stream of accusations and threats, her usual rant. Keitaro inhaled to start his explanation… but what was the point? She never listened. She never apologized. Keitaro sighed, turned, and walked away from Naru in mid-rant.
 
Kami that hurts. That's the fifth time this week. She never listens. She just hurts me. Again and again. If I stop listening to her, thought Keitaro, if I stop explaining and apologizing, will my life get better? Clearly this isn't working, thought Keitaro, turning to look over his shoulder at the fuming and cursing girl one last time. I guess it wasn't meant to be, after all. Goodbye love.
 
His sad expression never wavered as he trudged down the hallway, away from the sound and fury of the other residents. The grinning Kitsune's smile faltered and fell, the weeping Shinobu never looked his way, and Motoko harrumphed. Keitaro's responsibility was caring for the inn, collecting rent, and the rest of his life was his own. Maybe he'd been trying too hard. Relating to these girls and getting into college might be incompatible. A wise man knows his limitations.
 
Do I want to go to Tokyo U, wondered Keitaro? It was all for Naru, all this studying… but wait. It was for the Promise Girl, a girl whose face I can't remember. I've always lived for my promise. Naru isn't my promise girl. That's clear. She's too young, just like she said. Maybe there's someone else. I've been living for this dream, my dream of escaping this loneliness, a dream of finding love by working so hard… but its just work now, isn't it? And I haven't found love, or even real acceptance. I'm tolerated and then I'm abused. Should I run away? No. Grandma Hina asked me to care for our family inn. It's a responsibility. I've been getting involved in everyone's lives, in adventures. And they've been fun but I'm falling behind on my studies and I really want to get on with life. Being a ronin like this… its so much work. Too much. And with the beatings from Naru and Motoko and Su… I'm so tired.
 
Keitaro trudged to his room, shut and locked the door and went to bed early. Shinobu was unable to get him to answer for dinner and the others ignored his absence at their shared table that night. Keitaro was changing, changing how he thought of people, and how he thought of himself in relation to them.
 
 
&&&&&&&&&&&&& &&&
 
 
The next few days Keitaro moved a lot slower, a lot more carefully, and knocked on doors before entering. He was still hit several times, but he picked himself up without explanation, and went about with repairs and few words for anyone. The girls looked irritated at first, confused after a few more days and finally Kitsune cornered him.
 
“Keitaro, you've been acting strangely. What's going on?” she asked, blocking his way out of the laundry room. Keitaro sighed, wondering how to answer that, or even if he should bother. Lie?
 
“My studies have gotten harder so I'm more focussed on them,” he said, evading. Kitsune considered, but moved to block him just the same.
 
“So why aren't you studying with Naru anymore?” she asked. He really didn't want to answer that.
 
“I'm busy right now, Kitsune. Maybe we can talk about this later?” he offered, dodged past her at her confused look and was off to fix another part of the inn that needed repair. He'd fixed the hole in Naru's floor over his futon the day after she last hit him. Good and sturdy repairs, with the proper wood, not just some plywood over the hole but a repair the way it should be. He'd prepped the timbers ages ago but never went through with it. Now… there was no reason not to. And that wasn't the only thing. He replaced the tatami over it. No more hole, no more mess, no more unwanted visitors kicking him in the face while he was sleeping.
 
Keeping busy at the Inn was actually pretty easy, he was surprised to learn. When you don't care to talk to anyone because you don't want to be hurt, hit, punched, or exploded by one of Su's inventions, there's always something that needs to be cleaned, repaired, or replaced. The rest of the time he was either studying in his room, or if it got too noisy, he'd sneak into one of the Hinata Sou basement rooms and study there. At least it was quiet, if musty.
 
Kaolla found him there, reading under a green glass lamp in a basement room he'd cleaned up and restored the power to. It wasn't perfect but it worked. And it was quiet.
 
“Hey dork!” called Sara, trundling in behind the silently staring Kaolla Su. Keitaro turned to regard the two of them.
 
“Hi girls. Did you need some maintenance done upstairs? I can add it to my list.”
 
“Come play with us, Dork,” demanded Sara playfully, socking him. Keitaro winced but didn't get up from his chair.
 
“That hurt, Sara. I'm busy right now. I have to study. Sorry,” he said, turning back to his books. Sara grumped, fuming. He was acting like her father, ignoring her. Sara hated that. Kaolla tugged on her arm before she lunged at him. Sara turned to object and saw Kaolla's face and its sad expression.
 
“Uh, yeah, seeya Dork,” muttered Sara, following Kaolla out for an explanation. She didn't like what she heard.
 
“What to you mean he's changed?” she asked incredulously. “He's always been so fun. Now he's boring?”
 
“Yes. He's boring for Su too,” admitted Kaolla. “This Keitaro is no fun at all. He just works. When you hit him, he looks sad and goes away. I'm afraid to hit him anymore or he might leave.”
 
“Huh. I wonder what happened? Oh well. Let's explore some more. Where does this go?” asked Sara, dismissing the Dork from her mind forever. Kaolla followed, encouraged by the enthusiasm of her younger playmate.
 
 
&&&&&&&&&&&&& &&&&&&
 
 
“Thank you for dinner!” everyone cried. Shinobu bowed in return at the table and they began to eat. Sempai seemed so sad, so distant. For the last few weeks he'd hardly talked to anyone, mostly just fixed up the inn. It was looking nice. When she came back from school yesterday she'd found the kitchen faucet didn't leak anymore. And he'd replaced some of the worn out laundry poles with new ones. She was pretty sure he'd sanded and painted the trim too. Naru was bitter, as always. She did this to her Sempai. Now he was distant. And part of her, some small part of Shinobu knew she was at least a little to blame too, and that made her feel guilty and sad herself. She quickly finished her food and cleared the table, hiding her feelings from the others.
 
Keitaro noticed Shinobu's expression during dinner and sighed. Part of him wanted to explain to her what was happening, but part of him was worried he'd get attached and just get hurt again. He liked Shinobu. He knew she meant well. However she was fragile tempered and broke into tears and then Naru and Motoko would hit him, all because she overreacted to something and Keitaro was just nearby. Being around her was a recipe for a beating, and Keitaro was tired of that. He sighed, finished his dinner and went back to studying alone.
 
“Keitaro?” said a small voice at his door. It was Shinobu. Knowing her, it probably took all her effort to knock. He sighed, rising and meeting her at his door.
 
“May I come in?” she asked. Keitaro shook his head no.
 
“I'm busy. Did you need something fixed?” he asked.
 
“N-no. I wanted to thank you for the repairs in the kitchen and laundry,” she said, taken aback by his refusal. He'd always let her into his room before. Why not now?
 
“You're welcome, Shinobu. Please let me know of any other repairs you want done,” he said, keeping his expression carefully neutral. It was getting easier to wear this mask as time passed.
 
Shinobu was silently horrified at how cold he was. Keitaro had always been warm and cheerful. She'd hoped talking to him alone like this would let the old Keitaro come out, but instead she found him so distant. “Sorry to bother you, Sempai.”
 
He briefly considered correcting her, but just nodded and shut the door. He padded back to his seat at the desk and returned to studying. It was several minutes before Shinobu crept away from his door. He could hear her weeping and sniffling. For once, Motoko and Naru didn't come break down his door. Maybe they understood after all.
 
 
&&&&&&&&&&&&& &&&
 
 
“Kitsune, your rent is due,” said Keitaro. She was drunk, a large bottle of sake and a small cup beside it showing the evidence of her drinking habit. One wall of her room was dedicated to various rare sake bottles, most of them partially filled.
 
“Gotcha right here, Keitaro, woo!” laughed Kitsune, offering an envelope stuffed with yen. He opened it and counted.
 
“Sure you don't wanna trade that for a feel?” she teased. Keitaro, sighed.
 
“No thank you, Kitsune. You're short 6000 yen,” he said, holding out his empty hand for the rest. Kitsune grumped, suddenly looking a lot less drunk and a lot less attractive.
 
“I was going to the races with this,” she said, handing it over. “I liked you better before.”
 
Keitaro shook his head and marched back down the hall.
 
 
&&&&&&&&&&&&& &&&&&&
 
 
“Urashima, may I speak with you?” requested Motoko. She had her sword with her, like always.
 
“Do you need something repaired? I'm very busy studying, Motoko,” he explained, pointing to a pile of books.
 
“This is something of a personal nature. May I come in?” she asked.
 
“Very well,” he said, stepping aside. She seated herself on his tatami in seiza, a painful kneeling position. Keitaro matched her, facing his tenant. “So, what can I do for you, Motoko?”
 
“Lately you've become more focussed on your duties as a manager. I approve of the effort you've applied and the Inn has never looked better. You've also applied yourself to your studies and are no longer deliberately exposing yourself or groping the tenants,” she said, eyebrow twitching in annoyance. Her grip on her sword was white knuckle tight. She forcibly relaxed, placing it beside her again. Keitaro breathed a sigh of relief he hadn't realized he'd been holding.
 
“However, I am concerned at your change in behavior towards the residents. You no longer socialize with us,” she said. Keitaro met her gaze and considered how to answer this accurate description of the situation. Of all the residents, Motoko was capable of level headedness when she wasn't screaming about perverts.
 
“And?” he asked, carefully.
 
“We miss your company.”
 
“I apologize. Unfortunately, in my position as the male manager of an all girls dorm, I've been put into many unpleasant situations. After a period of time, I resolved to avoid those issues. Additional personal problems have made it painfully clear that I am better served in life to focus on other things. Thus I am limiting my activities. Again, I apologize for not being able to spend social time with each of you any longer.” He bowed politely. She bowed formally in return, rose, and left.
 
That went better than I expected, thought Keitaro glumly.
 
Somewhere down the hall, Motoko felt water on her face and quickly wiped it away. A warrior's duty is to her lord, her school, and her clan. Keitaro was only the dorm manager. She had no tears to shed for him. She wiped away more moisture before seeking solace on the rooftop.
 
 
&&&&&&&&&&&&&
 
 
“Keitaro, gotta minute?” Haruka asked, knocking on the doorframe. He was scrubbing the onsen out. It was hot slimy work and took a lot of his maintenance time. It was also necessary to keep it clean and reduce the bacteria which thrived in the hot water.
 
“What can I do for you, Haruka-san?” asked Keitaro, pausing to look at his aunt. She was smoking, as usual, and frowning, as usual.
 
“What's this I hear about you quitting the girls?” she asked.
 
“I didn't quit. I'm still here, tending the inn.”
 
“You quit their friendship. They're hurt. Kitsune told me Shinobu cries herself to sleep half the time, and Naru is … well nevermind about Naru. What's goin on?” she asked.
 
“I used to think being around girls was the greatest ever, Haruka. They were so much fun. But I've changed, and I'm not moving forward with my life if I neglect my studies. So now I'm studying. I'm getting better marks too. In a couple months I'll have the practice exam, and a couple months after that, the Todai entrance exams. Either I pass it this time, or I give up. No more tries after this. I've lived for my dreams too long. Its time I live in the world instead.”
 
“So you gave up?” she asked, taking a long drag from her cigarette.
 
“I changed. I'm not going to Todai for my Promise Girl, or for Naru, or anybody else but me.”
 
“And if you can't get in?” she said.
 
“There's an art college I'm interested in. Musashino Art University in Kodaira City. Its not far from here.”
 
“So you're giving up Archaeology?” she asked.
 
“Do I really want to hang around Seta?” he pointed out. She nodded in understanding.
 
“So, what about the girls? Are you leaving things like this?” she asked. Keitaro shrugged.
 
“They never really listened to me when I tried to explain before. What's changed now?” he said. Haruka sighed.
 
“So that's it? I'm disappointed in you, Nephew. Disappointed but not surprised. I can't help but think you're missing an important portion of your life. Come by for tea sometime.” She waved a hand at him and left in disgust.
 
 
&&&&&&&&&&&&& &&
 
 
Keitaro got a good score on the practice exam. He focussed, rather than daydreamed or fell asleep from exhaustion. It wasn't the highest score. Naru had that, he idly noted. The girls still tried to drag him off to their parties, but he declined, and cleaned up after them instead. He woke early, cleaned the springs often, and kept the Inn in good shape, further maintaining additional rooms which had been allowed to fall into disrepair. Since he wasn't flying through walls as often, he wasn't having to fix as much stuff as before. It wasn't hurting the Inn's budget either. The girls went off on trips together, or took their vacations home to family and he persevered with his studying. Christmas rolled around and he woke early, well rested and ready for the Todai exam. He left by himself, took the trolley by himself, entered the proper exam hall, by himself, sat down in the proper room. He didn't screw up. He stayed awake, he focussed on the exam, and he did well. He was pretty sure he did well, and not from optimism or wishful thinking. The second day of exams went likewise. He saw Naru on the train the second day. They didn't speak to each other.
 
A few weeks later he saw his score. He passed. Keitaro filled out the paperwork and received the acceptance in the mail. He didn't bother telling anyone. They had a party for Naru instead, anyway. He cleaned up quietly the next morning. The girls had their lives. Their celebrations. He was always invited, and mostly declined. If he showed up he was quiet, paid little attention to the proceedings other than nodding at the appropriate moments. Inside, he could feel some pressure building. One day he found himself reaching for his sketchbook and drew something up while sitting quietly on the roof. When he finished he realized Motoko was practicing behind him. He slowly turned to look over his shoulder.
 
“Sorry to disturb you, Urashima-san,” apologized Motoko. She returned to swinging through kata with her bokken.
 
“It's okay. I'll go,” he offered. He got up, moved widely around her and nodded politely to Shinobu who arrived on the roof with a laundry basket.
 
“Good morning, Keitaro-san,” said the girl politely. He nodded back to the young girl.
 
“Good morning, Shinobu-san.” Part of him felt sad. He wasn't sempai anymore. He didn't deserve to be, either. He wasn't in their lives, just a landlord and fix-it man. They'd tried to keep him involved, but that couldn't be without him getting beaten for it. This was the best he could do. Part of him wanted very much to drown himself in the hot springs or jump off the roof. He was lonely. He'd returned to the life he had before moving there, only now he had no family. No Kanako, no Mom and Dad at the dinner table. Keitaro felt tears in his eyes and wiped them away. It was time to see Haruka.
 
&&&&&&&&&&&&
 
 
“So that's what's going on,” he finished. Haruka sighed, taking a long drag on her cigarette.
 
“That's about what I figured would happen. You're really not good at people, Nephew.”
 
“I told you I tried. You saw what happened.”
 
“Those beatings happened because you let them. So, what now? Are you going to stay there? Are you going to try and mend things with them?”
 
“If I try, Naru and Motoko will both beat me again. I've had it with that.”
 
“I hate to mention this, but there's always your sister.”
 
“Huh? You mean Kanako? Isn't she travelling with Grandma Hina?”
 
“Yes. And I don't get along with her either, but she's always supported you, right? And she never hit you,” Haruka pointed out. Keitaro thought back. True.
 
“Yeah, I suppose. If I told her I'm lonely she might come out and keep me company.”
 
“Or you could meet someone at Todai. You're in now and start school in a month, right?”
 
“Yes, that's right.”
 
“What are you going to study?”
 
“I used to want to study law, but I really don't know. I used to want to get in so I could find my Promise Girl, but after seeing what women are like, I don't think I want that anymore,” he admitted. Haruka looked at him sharply.
 
“We're not all like the girls at the Hinata Sou,” reminded his aunt grumpily.
 
“Sometimes I think I'm better off alone,” he complained. Haruka snorted in derision at the adolescent sentiment.
 
“If you really thought that you wouldn't be here telling me how lonely you are. Rather than deny it, you should think about what you can do to not be lonely anymore,” she suggested. “When I got to the point you are now, I had just lost a friend to cancer and had her boyfriend call me the consolation prize.”
 
“No wonder you hate Seta so much. That settles that. No archaeology for me.”
 
“Well, that's sensible at least. So what are you going to do? You need to take some classes.”
 
“At this point, with no ideas, I'd better just take some broader general subjects. Maybe I'll figure it out later.”
 
“I suppose. What about your sister? Are you going to call her?” asked Haruka.
 
“I dunno. Somehow I think things might get more complicated and unpleasant if I do.”
 
&&&&&&&&&&&&& &&&&
 
 
“Ouch!” cried Keitaro. Someone had just fallen on him in the hallways at Todai's history building. He struggled to crawl out from under her weight, his nose telling him it was a woman by her scent. Turning to look, he found a beautiful woman out cold, a nice hat on her head. After a moment of peering her eyes fluttered open.
 
“Ara-ara… Kei-kun?” she blurted out.
 
“Hello Miss… Mutsumi? What are you doing here? You fainted. Are you okay?” he asked her. He hadn't seen her since that trip to Okinawa. A sudden memory of her kiss seized him with a terrible longing.
 
“Kei-kun? Keitaro?” she asked, blinking again.
 
“Uh,” she thought for a moment. Mutsumi sat up and straightened her cute hat on her head.
 
“What are you doing here, Keitaro?” she asked.
 
“I'm a student, Otohime-san. I have class in room 205.”
 
“World history 1. I have that too. We'd better hurry or we'll miss the first lecture,” she announced. “Please help me up,” she asked. He tugged her upright. She radiated a beautiful if breathless smile. Holding his hand, she dragged him around the halls and into the classroom. She didn't release his hand until it was time to take notes and found it again frequently, even during the slideshow. When class was over, she kissed him soundly and breathlessly raced away to her next class.
 
“Wow,” said Keitaro. His fantasies went wild. Then his brain kicked in. “It's just a greeting. It's just a greeting. It's just a greeting,” he repeated like a mantra. Classmates snickered at his naivete. Whispered comments followed him as he shook it off and wandered down the hall to his next class.
 
Another hall, another building. A search through more hallways to arrive at the room twenty minutes later. This was General Psychology. It was a big auditorium with over 100 students there for the lecture. Searching the room for an open seat he saw her again. Her smile brightened as did his own. She motioned to him so he sat down beside her.
 
“Well, I didn't know we had two classes together. I wonder if we have any others?” he said. He opened his registration and schedule. She opened her own and exclaimed.
 
“Goodness. How did that happen?” she asked. Keitaro was stumped to. Todai offered hundreds of different courses. Somehow they'd chosen most of the same ones, with the exception of Figure Drawing (him) and Gardening (her), which also happened at the same time.
 
“Mutsumi… would you like to study with me?” he asked.
 
“Yes, Kei-kun. I would like that a lot,” she said and blushed sweetly.
 
They attended the lecture and when it was finished, they compared notes during lunch. She consumed quite a lot of watermelon and rice balls while he ate a bento prepared by Shinobu. That was nice of her, he admitted. She was pretty cursory with her attention to him these days. He supposed that was his fault.
 
“Mutsumi, you remember that girl I was with when we ran into you? Naru and I had a falling out and I've pretty much stopped talking to the other girls from the dorm I manage. I'm not sure if I CAN talk to them considering how they are so violent,” he admitted with some sadness. He explained more fully as they enjoyed the sun on a bench outside the Earth Science hall.
 
“Ara-ara. That sounds pretty bad. And you won't move out?” she confirmed.
 
“Nope. I have to manage it. It's a family business and Grandma Hina entrusted me to it.”
 
“Hina? I know that name. Would you take me there after school today?” she requested.
 
“Um… sure. If you want. By the way, why did you kiss me earlier?” he asked, a bit confused.
 
“Oh, that just how we say hello in Okinawa,” she assured him. He raised an eyebrow, remember her mother, aunts, and other Okinawan women did NOT kiss him hello when he was there.
 
“You know, Mutsumi, I originally decided to go to Tokyo U. because I made a childhood promise to a little girl, many years ago, that we'd go to Tokyo U and live happily ever after. When I told Naru this, she hit me. Naru likes to hit me, actually. That's why I broke up with her.”
 
“Ara, I don't hit you do I?” she asked.
 
“No, though you have a funny habit of fainting.”
 
“That's just my anemia. I eat watermelon to help with it. Would you like some? Last piece?” she offered it towards his mouth before he could answer. He opened his mouth and she popped it in. It was sweet and juicy.
 
“Umm. That's delicious. Thank you,” he admitted. “So, do you know anything about my promise?”
 
“Yes, that was me,” she giggled. Some part of him felt disappointed at how easily she said that. She was beautiful, though. And she was here. And she kissed me, he reminded himself. That wasn't bad at all. And there was no punching either.
 
“Wow. So the Tokyo U thing really works. I'm glad. I took the exam twice before I got in.”
 
“Me too. I forgot to put my name on the test the first time, and fainted during the second but I wouldn't let them take me away until I finished the test. Would you believe I got the high score? Ara-ara!” she said and giggled again. He found himself with his arm around her waist and laughing along with her story.
 
Soon it was time for their afternoon class to start and they waltzed in together, still hand in hand. And found Naru there. She glared at them. Mutsumi giggled uncomfortably. They sat away from the violent girl and took their notes for World Geography. Separating briefly for a trip to the restroom. Exiting the bathroom, Keitaro ducked a wild swing from Naru.
 
“Hey! Stop that you nutcase!” he yelled.
 
“How dare you! You pervert!” she accused him.
 
“Ara-ara. Why are you hurting my boyfriend, Naru?” she queried. People were staring. Naru paused and looked around. Keitaro peered out from behind his shielding arms. The crowd looked uncertain. Someone was on a cellphone and sounded like they were calling the campus police.
 
“Because… he's… he's… what?” she finally asked, turning to stare at Mutsumi.
 
“My boyfriend,” she repeated, nodding.
 
“Huh?” said Naru, looking quiet confused and a bit broken.
 
Mutsumi moved to stand beside Keitaro, taking his hand and pulling him away from the dazed maniac for their next class.
 
Math is a hard subject and he found himself concentrating hard to keep up with the course and a lot of homework assigned by the end. Mutsumi seemed just as perturbed as he was. After class they strolled out and after picking up their books together they headed for the train station, still together.
 
“So, where are you living these days, Mutsumi?” he asked.
 
“Oh, just off the Yamanote Line. Its not far from Hinata Sou,” she said. He followed her home and found it was JUST off the tracks, as in about 12 feet off the tracks. Every time a train went by you could see the passengers out the bathroom window. Furnishings were sparse: watermelons and a standard kotatsu, heated table.
 
“I don't really need anything else, you know. How's Tama by the way? Is she getting along okay?” Mutsumi asked.
 
“Yes, she's fine. She loves the hot spring and so far she's stayed ahead of Su trying to eat her.”
 
“Good. I am looking forward to seeing her soon. So, what clubs are you going to join, Kei-kun?” asked Mutsumi. Keitaro scratched his head.
 
“Clubs? I hadn't really thought about it,” he admitted.
 
“Well, there's the society for the study of modern visual culture, the saving our planet and having fun with weird aliens, espers, and time travelers club. There's the calligraphy club, the manga club, the astronomy club, the archaeology club, the various sports teams, kendo, kenjutsu, archery, motor club… quite a few, really. Ara ara,” she said, reading to herself.
 
“Wow. That's more than a few. Maybe we can pick something together?” he suggested. Mutsumi beamed at the suggestion.
 
“That is a fine idea. I wonder if they have a Watermelon club?” she said, turning to examine the list more carefully.
 
“I hope not,” said Keitaro half under his breath. She smirked quietly.
 
“Photography club?” she asked.
 
“Ehn. I've heard they're all chasing trains or obsessed with cosplay. That's not for me. Anything else?”
 
“The motor club, but I'm really not very interested in engines. I faint too much to get a drivers license,” she admitted.
 
“We can skip that one. Any other ideas?” he asked. She read more.
 
“Mutsumi?” he asked.
 
“Yes, Kei-kun?” she replied, not looking up.
 
“You called me your boyfriend earlier when Naru was being all crazy. Did you mean that?” he asked.
 
“Would you like me to? I've liked you for a long time, you know,” she pointed out, meeting his eyes. She wasn't lying or confused.
 
“I… I dunno. I guess so. Its all happening so fast. Yesterday I was alone and sad. Today I've met you and its like things are finally falling into place. I feel really confused. Is that okay, to be confused?” he asked.
 
“Yes, Kei-kun. But don't take too long. I'm not Naru. I know what I want, and I've already made up my mind, Annatta,” she smiled.
 
“Wow,” said Keitaro. “Okinawan girls don't wait around.”
 
“Keitaro, what happened between you and Naru?” she finally asked, looking serious. He sighed.
 
“It was about six months ago. We were studying together and I was having trouble understanding a math problem. I asked her to help me, she did, but I still didn't understand. So she tried again… and then I slipped,” he chuckled nervously, rubbing at the back of his head.
 
“Naru liked to hit me. I guess its her way of relieving stress. I realized that we weren't good for each other, and that I was tired of being beaten and that what she felt for me wasn't love, that I was deluding myself. So I walked away from her. I withdrew from everyone because just being around them meant she'd attack me. We've barely spoken two words since then.”
 
“That's not very good, Keitaro. She may not look like it, but that girl has feelings for you,” pointed out Mutsumi factually.
 
“Why do you think that?” asked Keitaro.
 
“She tried to hit you after she saw us together. She wouldn't be jealous if she didn't have feelings,” said Mutsumi. “What are your feelings for her?”
 
“Sadness. Pain. Part of me still loves her but…I've spent six months studying alone in the basement, avoiding other people, so I could pass the exams. It was very hard, but without her around to distract me, I did better.”
 
“Do you want to be with her?” asked Mutsumi neutrally, the lilt in her voice showing a certain strain.
 
“I liked being around her when she wasn't crazy with anger. I liked being around all the girls, I just don't like being beaten for it. I can't help that I'm clumsy or have bad luck. Any more than you can help fainting all the time,” he added.
 
“Do you want me to be your girlfriend, Keitaro?” asked Mutsumi. He looked her up and down and blushed.
 
“Yes… but aren't we moving a little too fast?” he asked. She giggled.
 
“Maybe. Don't you think you could use some happiness and companionship in your life?” she asked. “It sounds like you've been sad for a long time.” Keitaro sighed.
 
“Does it sound that bad?” he asked. She patted his head.
 
“Let's go use that onsen you have, neh?” she suggested. Keitaro agreed and they left her apartment for the Hinata Sou as the sun began to sink into the West.
 
“It's beautiful here,” said Mutsumi. They exited the train and walked through Hinata district towards the hill. The buildings were close together, many two story with apartments above the old time shops selling traditional foods and tourist things. Keitaro looked around, then pointed to Haruka's tea house, leading Mutsumi in.
 
“Otohime-san? Well, it's been a long time,” said Haruka. “You grew up into a beautiful woman, just like your Mom.” Mutsumi blushed and bowed.
 
“Haruka-san, it's so nice to see you again,” said the girl on his arm. Haruka showed them to a table and brought them some tea.
 
“I'm glad you found each other. I was hoping you would,” said Haruka. The tea was poured, and it was good, sweet and slightly bitter.
 
“What do you mean?” said Keitaro.
 
“You two used to play together as children. I was often stuck babysitting and you two liked to play in the park. Little Keitaro was heartbroken when you moved away, Mutsumi-san. He cried for days.” It was Keitaro's turn to blush.
 
“Really? Ara-ara!” exclaimed Mutsumi.
 
“So that really was you?” asked Keitaro.
 
“Sure I looked after a bunch of the neighborhood kids. You used to play with Amalla, Kitsune, Mutsumi, Kanako, Lamba, and even little Naru, though she was kind of sickly back then. The Inn was a popular place back then. All sorts of people used to come here when it was still an Inn.”
 
“I don't remember that,” said Keitaro, squinting in thought. He shrugged. “Oh well, I'm sure it happened if you say so, Haruka-san.”
 
“So, are you heading up the hill for dinner?” asked Haruka, pointedly looking at their clasped hands.
 
“Uh, maybe. Mutsumi wanted to use the onsen, and see the place again,” he explained. Haruka nodded, not believing the obvious lie.
 
“Springtime comes to Hinata Sou. Oh well. Pack a night bag, Keitaro, just in case. At least this will shake things up.”
 
“Huh?” said Keitaro, lost.
 
“Ara-ara, are things that bad?” asked Mutsumi.
 
“Worse, but maybe you can help. I wish you luck,” urged Haruka. She waved to the couple as they left, heading up the hill. The sakura blossoms drifted down in the early evening, lights along the stairs showing the drifting pink.
 
Inside the doorway he could hear the girls cheerful dinner conversation and smell some wonderful food. Their moods seemed elevated. He and Mutsumi left their shoes in the entry nook, then entered the dining room together, holding hands.
 
“There he is!” cheered Kitsune with a big grin. “Naru told us the news that you've gotten hitched. Congratulations, Mutsumi!”
 
“Is it true, Sempai?” asked Shinobu, teary eyed.
 
“Is what true?” he asked, clarifying. Long experience taught him to ask that before answering any questions.
 
“That you and Mutsumi fell in love and eloped today,” explained Motoko coolly.
 
“Of course not!” exclaimed Keitaro.
 
“Well, not the second part anyway,” explained Mutsumi.
 
“You mean you are in love?” burbled Shinobu with tears in her eyes. “The probabilities for that in this time plane… oops.”
 
“Is an elope good to eat?” asked Kaolla Su, distracting Keitaro's stare from other other girl blushing in embarrassment.
 
“Su, sometimes I swear you must be from another planet,” sighed an exasperated Keitaro, looking to the ceiling for divine patience, missing the magical girl's own shiver. Motoko swiveled her eyes back and forth.
 
“So, your intent is a serious relationship, Urashima-san? And you have agreed to this Otohime-san?” queried Motoko. Naru seethed. The couple nodded.
 
“How can you just accept this?!” exploded the angry girl. Everyone froze.
 
“Why not? They're both adults. And you have relinquished your claim to him. He's free to date whomever he chooses, is he not?” reminded Motoko.
 
“Yeah, Naru, you blew him off. So he moved on. Haven't you been saying for over a year how you wished he'd leave you alone. Well, he has. And you both got into Todai,” pointed out Kitsune with a grin. “This world doesn't revolve around you, Naru.”
 
“Why should it revolve around him?” she snarled. Motoko was up in an instant, dragging Naru away kicking and screaming with Kitsune close behind apologizing. “Sorry about that, Keitaro. She's been drinking since she got home today and is in a terribly dark mood. I think seeing you with another girl has awakened some lingering feelings. Maybe she'll sleep it off later.”
 
“Keitaro, Mutsumi? Would you like some dinner? I still have some leftovers,” Shinobu offered, still a fair amount of food on the table.
 
“Yes, thank you, Shinobu,” accepted Keitaro. She blushed sweetly.
 
They ate some of her delicious food and made polite conversation. Mutsumi and Shinobu chatted about school and her surprise at finding they had the same classes.
 
“Shinobu, I'm very sorry for being so cold with you the last few months. That wasn't your fault. I just don't want to be hit anymore. Every time you got surprised, you'd scream and either Naru or Motoko would hit me, whether I was nearby or not. They consider themselves your protectors. You're a very sweet girl, but being around you meant physical pain. So I stopped being around you. For the last year, everyone has been very friendly and involved with me, and I'm grateful for the attention… I just don't want to be hit. Do you understand that too, Su?” asked Keitaro, turning to regard the girl who paused in her inhaling noodles.
 
“Don't you want to play with me?” asked the girl, swallowing.
 
“Does it involve breaking the inn, blowing things up, or kicking me in the head?” he asked.
 
“But I thought you liked that,” pouted the blonde foreigner.
 
“Do your inventions have to destroy things, Su-chan?” he asked again. She slumped.
 
“I like to destroy. Then I get to build stuff again. I like building things. Its fun!” she admitted. Mutsumi smiled.
 
“Kaolla-chan, we should talk about this later. Kei-kun and I want to use the onsen together. Would you ask the others to leave us alone for the evening if they're uncomfortable with that?”
 
“Are you going to do adult stuff?” said the girl with wide expectant eyes. Mutsumi and Keitaro both blushed. Shinobu burst into tears.
 
“Already?” wept the girl, fleeing the room.
 
“URASHIMA!” shouted Motoko, pounding towards the room. Kaolla rolled her eyes and tossed a bananna peel over her shoulder. Motoko's foot landed precisely on the peel and her expression changed from one of outrage to one of horror as she slammed through the wall.
 
“See what I have to deal with?” gestured Keitaro to Mutsumi. She giggled, winking at Kaolla.
 
“Motoko, that wall is going to take hours to fix, if I even have the building materials. Do you KNOW what building materials cost in this district?” reminded Keitaro drily. She blinked, rising from the rubble and wiped clean her sword before sheathing it.
 
“Sorry Keitaro, old habits die hard,” she apologized. “I'll take care of it myself.”
 
Keitaro blinked.
 
“I'll help, Motoko. I know how to do stuff like that. And I can improve it too. We can put in lasers and a self destruct and…,” began Su. Keitaro rolled his eyes.
 
“No lasers! No explosives. Just fix it the way it used to be is more than enough for my gratitude,” demanded Keitaro. Kaolla slumped.
 
“All right. Sheesh,” muttered the girl. “C'mon Motoko-chan. Let's go get a bin and some work gloves.” The two slogged out of the room leaving Keitaro and Mutsumi blinking at the aftermath.
 
“Well, they certainly are lively,” she admitted.
 
A short time later they were relaxing in the onsen, wearing towels. It was a bit embarrassing but they were an official couple and he had to admit, even though it was rather sudden, he did like her very much. They talked about inconsequential things and Tama-chan perched on Mutsumi's head from time to time. She giggled. The other girls were nowhere to be seen for an hour, which was highly unusual. Evening was their favorite time to enjoy the baths.
 
After an hour passed, Kaolla and Kitsune came into the changing area.
 
“Keitaro! We're coming into the baths. Don't peek until we say its okay,” urged Kitsune. “And it's okay if you DO peek, of course,” Kitsune giggled, a tease as ever always. Keitaro rolled his eyes, then turned to regard Mutsumi. She gripped his hand and smiled bravely. He heard them wash and rinse before coming into the pools of hot water. Kaolla bombed in with a big splash, energetic as always. Motoko followed shortly after, blushing a bit and wincing. Kaolla kept her distracted.
 
“It is hard to resist the urge to smite you, Urashima,” snarled the kendo girl. Keitaro wisely kept silent.
 
“Ah well. Its been an hour. I think I'm ready to get out of the water anyway. Are you coming Mutsumi?” he asked, offering his hand. She thought for a moment, regarding the others before shaking her head no.
 
“I'd like a bit longer, if that's okay, Keitaro. Shall I see you in your room before I head home tonight?” she asked.
 
“I can walk you home. I wouldn't want you fainting in the dark, after all,” offered Keitaro.
 
“That won't be necessary, Urashima. I shall escort Otohime-san home. We have much to discuss anyway,” muttered Motoko. Keitaro shrugged and climbed out of the baths, washing and rinsing once more before dressing silently. He went to his room and having a confusion of thoughts, proceeded to study and do homework. Even the first day was hard. Some time later, Mutsumi knocked, gave her farewells, a kiss, then left for the night with Motoko following silently.
 
“What a strange day,” remarked Keitaro.
 
 
&&&&&&&&&&&
 
One Hour Earlier.
 
“Is he gone?” asked Shinobu, creeping out of the shadows wearing a towel. She checked the changing area and looked out the door before returning.
 
“He's gone. Its time for our meeting. Just keep your voices down,” stated Kaolla Su.
 
“You took a terrible chance, Otohime-san. The Data Integration Thought Entity is displeased with you,” stated Motoko. “Do you have the support of your Organization for this action?”
 
“Not entirely, but they should be pleased with the results. Haruka, Seta, myself, and the other ESPers have been working very hard fighting with the frequent incidences of Closed Space due to his depression.”
 
“We appreciate your efforts dealing with Closed Space events but he was our responsibility,” accused Kaolla.
 
“He needs affection. Your prior tactics were making things worse, not better,” responded Mutsumi just as aggressively.
 
“And what about Naru? She almost lost control today. She could have ended the world again. Can we even stop and consider that for a moment?” reminded Kitsune. “One wrong word and its all over. Again.”
 
“Well, clearly Sempai is fed up with the abuse. Is he back to another cycle of affection. I don't wanna do the harem with him again. It was icky,” complained Shinobu.
 
“If you'd had half as many loop encounters with him as I have, and remembered them all, you'd call him a pervert too,” snarled Motoko.
 
“Ara-ara! This is no time to count the notches on our bedposts,” interrupted Mutsumi. “He's been with all of us. We want to avoid rehashing past mistakes and keep him moving forward. He's only just gotten into Tokyo U under his own power. We should see where things lead. We have to keep him happy, give him some affection without changing too much of the underlying script, and prevent the end of the world.”
 
“Look what trying did to Naru,” reminded Haruka, entering the pools from the bathing area.
 
“Its probably because she remembered everything. And other than super-strength, she's fairly normal human being. Not like us,” reminded Shinobu. “We don't always remember all the events we've been through. She remembers everything. Why is that?”
 
“It's Keitaro's Will. Naru is his reflection point. His Key, if you will. Things in the Universe don't happen without her being there. Unfortunately, it's wearing her down. She needs a vacation from the madness. Can we give her some time off and see if Keitaro refocuses on Mutsumi instead? It's possible he will transfer the power from Naru to Mutsumi.”
 
“The last time that was tried, he ended the Universe,” noted Kaolla Su. The group sighed in despair.
 
“It doesn't help much that Naru said what we've all been thinking,” complained Shinobu.
 
“At least he's a nice god.”
 
“There is that,” agreed Haruka.
 
 
&&&&&&&&&&&&&
 
 
After wishing Keitaro-sama a good night, Mutsumi wandered down the hill with Motoko and her sword, talking about this reality.
 
“It's amazing to realize this world is only 6 months old. All these familiar details, our own memories are abstract creations for his benefit,” said Motoko. “What does your Organization think of today's events?”
 
“Cautiously optimistic,” replied Mutsumi, stumbling in the darkness.
 
“You're lucky that you've gained extra powers of perception. It wasn't that long ago that you ESPers couldn't do anything but inside Closed Space. Now you can read others emotions outside of those data spheres.”
 
“I took a terrible risk, kissing him today. In prior attempts he fled or reacted badly. This time, it was the right thing to do,” she said.
 
“Do you love him?” asked Motoko.
 
“It's my job to,” said Mutsumi.
 
“You're evading,” reminded Motoko. Mutsumi sighed.
 
“Is that so wrong?” complained the buxom girl.
 
“Don't let it interfere with your mission. We have to keep the world safe, and keep him stable and happy. It's a big job with a huge responsibility. Try not to end up like Naru,” said Motoko.
 
“I'll try,” said Mutsumi.
 
 
END (for now)