The Twelve Kingdoms Fan Fiction ❯ The Shadowed Land, The Northern Arrow ❯ The Shadowed Land, The Northern Arrow: Chapter Two ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

The Shadowed Land, The Northern Arrow: Chapter Two

Greetings again. I am SO happy with the reviews I have gotten. Thank you all so much for your reviews. I hope I keep the story exciting for you. Enjoy the next chapter.

~*~*~*

Spring was slowly fading into summer among the fields of each kingdom. The long days with its warm weather from the lingering sun helped each crop flourish. The start of the season would be triggered by the soon approaching summer solstice. For most kingdoms this was just a time that signaled the changing of seasons. But for one kingdom the changing season brought great hope and a time for celebration. Many of this kingdoms people were preparing for a long journey to the center of their world. This journey, called shouzan, was taken by all in the kingdom whom sought the throne.

10 years had passed since the previous Kirin had perished at the hands of her own master. Many long years had cycled since a true ruler had ascended the throne in the kingdom of Kou. The devastated land was over run with youma and natural disasters. No crops were able to take root in the infertile soil of most of the kingdom. All villages were abandoned for there was no food to grow or buy so the well cared for homes fell into disrepair. All afflictions on the land would be lifted when the Kirin of Kou would find a new ruler among the people of Kou.

The summer solstice would be the first shouzan in over 60 years for the people of Kou and many were anxious to begin their journey. The journey of shouzan became at one of the 4 gates that were carved into Kongou Mountains that surrounded the Koukai. The center of the world, called the Koukai, was where the youma mainly resided. Just past each of the gates were the dense forests of the Koukai. There were only 4 trails that led to the center of the center of the world and they all lead to Mt Hou. Here in this place at Houto palace was where the Kirin would most likely choose the next ruler of Kou. The gates to the Koukai only opened 4 times a year so there would be many people would be anticipating this journey.

~*~*~*

"Wow, I cannot believe how beautiful she is. I have never imagined that a Kirin can look quite like she does." Squealed an excited voice at the sight of the sleeping Ryuurin. Kisa twitched her ears at the sound as she stroked the Kirin which was sleeping in her arms. The catlike Nyokai gently placed one of her furry hands on Ryuurins back and started to gently stroke her. Every so often a sage would peak her head in to `check' the new lady of Mt. Hou. Most of the sages however were scurrying around as if preparing for something. Kisa remained oblivious to all this action as she continued her silent vigilant over her young charge. Only when a loud crash outside the double doors of the room did Kisa look up from the Kirin. A young boy of about 10 years old came rushing into the room with a flushed face.

"Oh Kouki, please do be more careful next time!" Called one of the sages. The boy quickly closed the door behind him and listened for any noise beyond the door. Eventually the commotion outside quieted down and the boy breathed a sigh of relief.

"Tuisai." He called out to the still air. A slight hiss filled the air as a womanlike figure appeared from the wall behind the boy. The figure had short bat like wings in the middle of her back. Her top half consisted of a human shape with blue scales on her shoulders to her elbows. Her bleached hair framed her face and tickled at her knees with its length. Her bottom half looked like that of a kangaroo complete with a tail.

"Kouki, you must be more careful with your actions or the Nyosen will scold you even more." Tuisai said playfully as she wrapped her arms around the young boy. Kouki ran a hand through his sandy hair sheepishly.

"Ahh.. Sorry Tuisai. I didn't mean to cause such trouble. I am just not really looking forward to next week when we ascend to Houto Palace." He said as he leaned his head on one of Tuisai's arms. The Nyokai frowned slightly as she used her free hand to stroke his head in a soothing manner. Koukai started to play with his black robes in nervousness as he retreated out of Tuisai's arms.

"What is it that troubles you so about meeting the people of your kingdom?" she questioned. The Kirin of Kou shook his head slightly as he walked to the other end of the room where Ryuurin and Kisa were resting. Kouki looked at the younger Kirin with wonder and shock. He had known that the Ranka of Ryuu had been growing on the Sashinboku but didn't think that she would have been born so soon. Never before had he seen another Kirin in his 10 years on Mt. Hou.

"She is very pretty; I really like the color of her mane. It is very different from my own Tuisai." He said as he leaned closer to Ryuurin. Kouki reached out his right hand and placed it on her forehead, rubbing gently. Ryuurins snowy ears twitched at the touch1 as her indigo eyes flew open. She shook her head slightly in annoyance while rising upon her four legs shakily.

"You best be careful Kouki, you more than anyone should know that touching a Kirin's forehead is a very unpleasant feeling." A voice scolded gently from the doorway.

"Good morning Tei-Ei. How are you doing today?" he questioned as he rushed towards the doorway that Tei-Ei was not standing in. The sage smiled at the young Lord of Mt. Hou in front of her. Kisa picked up Ryuurin and placed her on the ground away form the bed they had been resting on. The day old Kirin was much steadier on her feet as she started to explore the room she was in. Kisa rose from the bed and stretched her large winds in an effort to get the kinks out of them. She had been sitting still for over half of a day after she had brought Ryuurin into the chamber.

"I am very well, thank you for asking Kouki. Now what are you up to today, I heard a lot of commotion earlier. Tei-Ei said as she motioned outside the room. Kouki tilted his head to one side and peered out the doorway. Strewn on the floor about 20 feet from the door was an assortment of beads, decorations and cloths. 3 of the sages were on their knees attempting to sort the jumble of things into correct piles.

"I am sorry Tei-Ei. I didn't mean to cause such a mess for you all, forgive me." He said with downcast eyes. Tei-Ei laughed as she gently patted Kouki on the head, his waist length hair flared slightly at the motion.

"It is quite alright Kouki, please just be more observant of your surroundings while you are running around." She said calmly to the Kirin in front of her. Kouki nodded his hand in compliances as he grabbed Tuisai's hand and dragged her out of the room. Tei-Ei laughed silently at the antics of Kouki, he had a very intrusting personality. From an early age he had proved a little of a trouble maker for the Nyosen. Always getting into all kinds of mischief he was quite a handful. Tei-Ei was pulled out of her thoughts by a tug on her robes. Looking down she realized that Ryuurin was chewing on her cloth robes. "You must be hungry if you are eating my clothes." She said as she gently removed the Kirin form her robes.

"Kisa, I will order a light breakfast for her momentarily please will you make sure that Ryuurin is ready to eat." Tei-Ei directed towards the Nyokai of Ryuu. Kisa nodded her understanding as she plucked Ryuurin up before she walked out the open door. Tei-Ei quickly exited the room to order the food to be brought.

"Now this should be an adventure little one, today will be a lot of firsts for you." Kisa whispered as she held Ryuurin close to her. The young Kirin snuggled in her Nyokai's arms while she waited for her meal to come. After a few silent minutes the door was opened once more. Naya came into the room carrying a small tray with a small assortment of fruits. Silently she put the try on a table near the large windows that allowed the sun to pour into the room. The young sage bowed low to the Kirin watching her.

"I am pleased to meet you Lady of Mt. Hou. My name is Naya and I am her to serve you." She said in a nervous rush. Naya could hardly believe that she was kneeling in front of the Kirin of her former home. Naya tried to hold her feelings in check as she remained in her kneeling position. Ryuurin studied her for a moment before approaching the now shaking sage.

"Good Morning, Naya." Greeted a soft voice. Naya rose up from her kneeling position in confusion. That voice was not one that she recognized; it was a soothing one yet a little stern. Naya looked down towards the floor and realized that Ryuurin was standing right in front of her. The sage took a step back in shock as she wondered if the voice had been that of the Kirin in front of her. She wondered if the voice could have come from Ryuurin… no that was impossible. From all that she had heard about Kirin's it took them about a year to learn how to talk.

"Naya, are you alright?" questioned the voice. The shocked sage realized that the voice was coming from the doorway. Standing in the doorway was another sage that Naya had not yet met. This sage had coal colored hair that was pulled back to the middle back of her head into two loops that met and formed a long ponytail that trailed down her back.

"I…I am sorry. I don't believe that we have met before." Naya blurted out finally after getting over her shock. The sage in the doorway smiled kindly at her and walked into the room.

"My name is Youka; I am pleased to finally meet you Naya. I have heard a lot about you from the other sages. They are a bit of a gossip." Youka said as she stopped in front of Naya. The younger Nyosen smiled slightly, it was well known that when not attending to their duties the sages were all catching up on the latest gossip.

"I am pleased to meet you as well Youka." Naya responded as she looked over towards the table she had put the food on. Kisa was already feeding Ryuurin small bits of the various fruits that she had ripped up to make easer for the Kirin to eat. The two Nyosen watched silently as Kisa continued to feed her charge with great care. After Ryuurin had eaten all that she seemed to want she took off down the hall in a little shaky of a run with Kisa close behind.

"She is a little different than most Kirin I have heard about since my time here. Though every Kirin is different I can't help wonder what will be in store for her in the future." Youka mused as they started to tidy up the room from last night and this morning's adventure.

"How is she different save from her mane color Youka?" Naya questioned as she gathered the remains of the breakfast. The address sage remained silent for a moment as she chose her words carefully.

"I don't really notice any personality or physical differences from her, I guess it is just a feeling I have." She said as she smiled calmly. Naya looked confused for a moment; she had not really felt anything but frightened when around Ryuurin. "Just allow your feelings of the past to fade into where they belong Naya and you will see what I mean." Youka left the room taking the almost empty tray with her. Naya sat on a near by chair to collect her thoughts. `Let go of my feelings… I don't know if I can do that.' She thought. It was a long time before the room would be alone again as the youngest sage collected her thoughts.

~*~*~*

Author Rambles: Now I am not sure about a few things portioning to the Kirin's development. One includes when the Kirin's speak, this will happen soon for Ryuurin soon. I hope you all like the story so far. Sorry it is so short I will try and make the later chapters longer.