The Twelve Kingdoms Fan Fiction ❯ Undulating Destiny ❯ Chapter 1

[ A - All Readers ]
Undulating Destiny

Prologue

By Tolitir

Authors Notes: This will be a Valkyrie Profile crossover with Juuni Kokuki. I have taken some liberties with the plot of VP. Unfortunately there are no translated versions of Fuyumi Ono’s book so I am basing things off the anime plot.

The holy land of Mount Hou lies at the center of the realm of Midgard surrounded by the twelve kingdoms of men. At its summit, the world tree Yggsdrasil that supplies life essence to every living being, extends high into the sky, disappearing above the clouds into the great void Ginnungagap. In a small clearing close to Yggsdrasil’s trunk lies a small meadow filled with strange looking flowers that cover the ground; swaying in the constant breeze that blows across the mountaintop. In the middle, a young woman with fair white skin and long silver hair begins to meditate. The air is thick with pollen from the flowers, but she continues to pray unperturbed wearing the garb of a simple shrine maiden.

Lenneth Valkyrie closes her eyes letting the familiar scent of the weeping lilies wash over her. The flowers sweet fragrance holds a deadly secret for their pollen is fatal to humans. In field of these very same flowers she died on Midgard and ascended to heaven to become the Battle Maiden Valkyrie. She brought scores of human souls up to the higher realm of Asgard to fight in the great war of the gods called Ragnarok. The battle would be fierce but there would be no victor for the inevitable end would be the destruction the world. Within the great void, Yggsdrasil would create a new realm of Midgard where human souls would once again be locked in cages of flesh. In order to protect them from the fate that befell the ancient gods called the Aesir that come before them, Yggsdrasil brought back the three goddesses of destiny to guard past, present, and future. Their fate would forever be linked to Midgard for the remains their realm Asgard would become Mount Hou where the heavens would christen the new leaders of men chosen by the immortal Kirin.

Lenneth shivered when a cold wind traveled through the clearing causing the flowers to bend and sway wildly, but just as quickly as it started the wind suddenly stopped leaving an eerie silence in its wake. “Hello Hrist,” Lenneth said, recognizing the familiar presence of her sister. Hrist came down from the sky on black feathered wings clad in the jet black armor of the Valkyrie. Her feet touched down lightly; the sword Glance Reviver bobbing at her hip like the scythe of some beautiful reaper. Each of the goddesses govern one aspect of destiny and as the eldest, Hrist judges the past transgressions of mortal rulers. When humans are chosen by the Kirin, they govern the destiny of their kingdom. When the path they choose angers the heavens their fate is in the hands of Hrist who delivers the final judgment.

Lenneth smiled and gave Hrist a hug which made her stiffen up. “It has been so long Hrist, what brings you so close to the mortal realm?” The base of Yggsdrasil is the closest point in Asgard to the mortal realm, but Hrist lives farther inland in the dark forest where Yggsdrasil’s branches twist and tangle for miles on end. “I do not come just to see you Lenneth. Glance Reviver shows me visions,” Hrist said. Lenneth sighed, Hrist carried such a cold calculating demeanor sometimes she wondered if she really was the death goddess. “Ever to the point as usual Hrist, but why come here if Glance Reviver already hands down judgment?” Hrist drew her sword and held it up in the air. The blade glowed crimson red and at the hilt a ruby jewel framed the ornate hand guard. She closed her eyes and began to concentrate on the blade; its crimson aura pulsating faster and faster until the blade began to reflect a collage of images. Lenneth recognized the face of King Kou standing under a moonlit sky with his Kirin standing next to him but then it flashed to a forest where a Kirin lay prone on the ground animal form drenched in blood. Hrist sheathed the sword and folded her arms in apparent frustration, “I have been meditating for days and I can not decipher the images in the blade. It is utterly maddening” Lenneth put her hand on Hrists shoulder, “Do not trouble yourself over this Hrist, Glance Reviver does not show you clear images because Destiny is at a crossroads.” Hrist seemed to relax a bit, “Very well then Lenneth, I see this is a matter you will have to attend to then. I will join you on Midgard when the time is right.” Hrist summoned her wings once again and gave Lenneth a curt nod before taking off.

Lenneth watched her take off and disappear in the direction of the dark forest. The images in the sword were truly disturbing. It was very rare that the past looks so muddled for destiny has run like clockwork for centuries. Something disturbs the delicate balance of the present to confuse the past so much. Not since the goddess of the future disappeared has destiny been disrupted so much. Lenneth walked out of the small clearing which opened up to a small ledge which looked out far into the realm of Midgard. She looked out at the land of Kou far off in the distance. “Alicia, have you finally returned to us?” She wondered out loud