Tokyo Babylon Fan Fiction ❯ Desinty Betroved ❯ Lady Sumeragi's Warning & Miko's Surprise ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Destiny Betroved

By: Lacus Klein

Disclaimer: Characters owned by Clamp. Except for Miko, of course.


Chapter Five

Lady Sumeragi's Warning


Subaru and Miko stood outside the small cafe and waited for Lady Sumeragi. Looking at his watch, Subaru sighed. "I hope everything's all right." he said quietly.

"There has been a lot of traffic today. Perhaps she was caught up." Miko suggested. She shifted slightly in her coat, being sure to stay warm.

"Are you all right? You could wait inside and I'll keep watch." Subaru offered.

Miko smiled. "I'm okay. I just wanted to make sure I stayed warm." she told him.

At that time, a car pulled up. Lady Sumeragi stepped out and came up to them. "Well, it's good to see you two looking so well." she said as they both bowed politely.

"As do you." Miko said.

"We were surprised to hear you visiting out of the blue like this." Subaru admitted.

"It seems Hokuto couldn't make it." Lady Sumeragi noted.

"No. She had some things that had to be done today. She sends her apologies." Subaru said.

The three went in and took a seat at a table. Lunch went by without a problem, and they sat there talking afterwards. "I'm glad to see you two are getting along so well now." Lady Sumeragi said.

"We've been very happy together. It seems we have a lot in common." Miko told her.

"I spoke recently to your grandmother Miko. She had some interesting news from you that I had to ask for myself." Lady Sumeragi replied. She seemed to carry a hint of a smile with it.

Subaru looked over at Miko. He wasn't sure what his grandmother could've meant by that. Miko blushed slightly. "Oh yes. That. Well, I haven't really gotten it out yet." she said softly.

"I see. Well, it seems this is a surprise for you too Subaru." Lady Sumeragi said, looking over at him.

"I guess. But I'm not sure I'm grasping it either." Subaru admitted rather sheepishly.

Lady Sumeragi gave Miko a gentle smile. "Why don't you tell him dear? He really should be the first to know." she told her.

Miko blushed a little more. Subaru looked over at her, still not sure of what to make of it. "Well," Miko sighed. "I suppose you're right."

"Tell me what?" Subaru asked, though he wasn't sure if he wanted to know.

"I just found out about a week ago. And I told my grandmother because I wasn't sure of how to tell everyone else yet. But I guess I'm on the spot now, huh?" Miko laughed slightly. Then she looked down, still blushing. "I'm pregnant."

Subaru just stared at her for a moment. Did she say what he thought she said? He almost couldn't believe it. Across the table, Lady Sumeragi smiled. "I suppose this is quite a surprise for you. But that's not the only reason I'm here I'm afraid." she said.

"Is something wrong?" Miko asked, looking back up.

"I've had a premonition for the two of you. Though I'm not sure of what it means, I do want to say that you both should have caution of future events. They will directly affect your lives if left unguarded." Lady Sumeragi told them.

"What kind of events?" Subaru asked, finally finding his voice.

"Sakura."

Both looked at her. "Sakura?" Miko said.

"The Sakura will try to steal one of you away soon. You must have caution to events that could be related to this." Lady Sumeragi warned them.

Shortly afterwards, the two walked out and Lady Sumeragi prepared to leave. "Thank you for the nice lunch." Miko said, giving her a polite bow.

"You're very welcome dear. And my congradulations to you both." Lady Sumeragi told them. As he car pulled up though, she pulled Miko over to the window. "I must say this to you in private now." she said as she got in.

"Yes?" Miko asked softly.

"I need to ask you a favor. Please, watch over Subaru. Make sure he keeps on his gloves in front of everyone else. And most importantly, watch out for Sakurazukamori." Lady Sumeragi whispered.

"Yes." Miko agreed. She stepped back as the car began to move. She knew why Lady Sumeragi was asking her this, though she said nothing to Subaru about it ever. And no matter what, she vowed she would protect him.


__________________________________________________


Miko looked down at the food she was fixing and thought over the day. It had been rather eventful, and things had seemed to work out. She really wasn't intending to tell Subaru in front of his grandmother, but being put on the spot gave her no choice. The two hadn't talked much since they'd come home, but she wasn't too worried. He probably just needed time to absorb it all. What concerned her though was the repeated warning of the Sakurazukamori. Though not everyong with the Sakurazuka name was related to that infamous clan, she still couldn't be sure. Hokuto's boyfriend was a Sakurazuka. Seishiro didn't seem like the type though. But somehow, it still concerned her. Maybe I worry because I'm afraid of not noticing if it does happen, she reasoned in her mind.

A soft touch on her abdomen brought her back to the real world. Smiling, Miko could sense Subaru standing behind her. He gently laid his hand on her abdomen and stood there. "Are you feeling better about this now?" she asked softly, stopping what she was doing for a moment.

"I really didn't expect it." Subaru admitted.

"Are you upset?" Miko asked.

Subaru shook his head. "No. Actually, I'm excited about it." he whispered.

Miko laid her hands on his. "I'm glad. I'm sorry I didn't get to tell you before, but the timing wasn't right. And it was hard trying to keep it from Hokuto." she admitted, laughing softly.

"How did you manage that?" Subaru asked, laying his chin on her shoulder.

"I just changed the subject whenever it came up." Miko said. She turned in his arms and smiled up at him. "I wanted to tell you first."

Subaru looked down and rubbed her abdomen carefully. "Well, I'm glad anyways. And she will be too." he said.

Miko kissed him softly. "You do know I love you, don't you Subaru?" she whispered.

"Always. I love you too." Subaru whispered back, kissing her again.

The tender moment was interrupted though when the front door hurled open. "Hey, I'm here!" Hokuto announced. She stopped though when she saw the two. "Opps, I'm interrupting huh? Sorry!"

Miko had to laugh. "It's all right. We were just talking and celebrating." she said.

"Celebrating? For what?" Hokuto said.

Behind her, Seishiro came in. "It still sounds like we're interrupting." he joked.

"Oh, Seishiro. I didn't know you were coming too." Subaru said.

"Of course I had to bring him! You think I would be out walking at night alone?" Hokuto said, changing her shoes and coming in.

Miko and Subaru let each other go and went in there. "You have good logic." Miko laughed.

"So, what were you two celebrating?" Seishiro asked them.

"Yeah. You know you have to tell me now." Hokuto added.

Subaru looked down, blushing slightly. Miko smiled over at him. "Well, we were talking about our meeting with your grandmother." she said, deciding to play it out a little.

Hokuto gave them a funny look. "What's so wonderful about that?" she asked, clearly not understanding.

"Well, it wasn't exactly the meeting that made it that way." Subaru admitted.

"Okay, you're keeping something from me! Spill it!" Hokuto said, giving him a dirty look.

Miko laughed a little. "It's what we were talking about last night." she said.

Hokuto stared at her for a moment, then it dawned on her. "No way! You're pregnant?!" she said.

When Miko nodded, she squealed and hugged her. Seishiro watched with a knowing smile by Subaru. "Well, congradulations Subaru. Looks like you're going to be a dad." he said happily.

Subaru blushed a little, but smiled. "Thanks." he said.

Hokuto was still going on though. "Oh, I can't believe it! This is so great! We are definatly going to be shopping tomorrow!" she said.

"Don't you think it's a bit soon?" Subaru asked her.

"Of course not! There's a lot of things to get. Besides, this is going to be so fun!" Hokuto told him.

"I don't mind." Miko added. "We really should start getting ideas at least."

Subaru smiled and nodded. She was right. And inside, he had to admit that he was getting excited about this. Beside him, Seishiro watched with silent contenplation. Now this could get interesting, he thought.

TBC