Trigun Fan Fiction ❯ Being Vash the Stampede ❯ Chapter 1

[ A - All Readers ]
Disclaimer: Vash isn't mine. :::sigh:::

A/N: I was half paying attention to that flashback episode of Trigun when it was on, and I saw Vash running around, talking to himself (:::falling from a building::: Could this be the end??? AHHHH!!!), and I realized that he wasn't just putting on an act to fool the Insurance Girls, like Meryl claimed, but he was trying to fool himself, too. So, that's where this came from.
And I happen to be a Vash/Meryl fan, so I bet we can all figure out who he's talking to, hm? If you don't like it, feel free to put whoever you want in Meryl's place.


Being Vash the Stampede


Even when he's alone, he acts like an idiot.

Even when no one is watching him, he continues to play the fool.

He hated being serious, being Vash the Stampede.

So he ran from it, whenever he could.

Sometimes, he'd go into a town quietly, watch the people around him, and if trouble found him, he would just slip back into the comfortable guise of a simple moron with a lot of luck.

Trouble almost always found him.

But that didn't stop him from trying to live quietly, day by day. A normal life. That's what he wanted.

Sometimes, he fooled even himself.

That's why he acted that way. Not to fool the bounty hunters and frightened townsfolk, but himself. He played other parts, so he wouldn't have to play his own.

So he wouldn't have to be himself, to be Vash the Stampede.

After so long, the act became almost more real than the reality. He almost forgot who he was. He almost forgot Vash the Stampede.

But he couldn't ever forget. Not really, deep down. Not completely.

There was a lot he didn't want to know about Vash the Stampede, a lot he didn't want to face. He didn't want to think about what Vash the Stampede could do, what he was.

He sighed.

Maybe...just maybe...it wasn't such a bad thing. To know himself. If he came to know Vash the Stampede, could he come to terms with him?

Maybe he could.

He smiled ruefully.

Back then, when he always played a part, even if it was just for himself, he never would have let himself stop to think these things.

Things were different now.

He wasn't alone.

And while he could fool himself, he couldn't fool her. She always knew.

And you know what?



She didn't care.



He looked over at her sleeping form, huddled in a blanket. He smiled one of those rare, true smiles that Wolfwood had always been thrilled to see.

Yeah. Maybe being Vash the Stampede wasn't so bad after all.