Trigun Fan Fiction ❯ Mystic Grey ❯ Volume Seven: Chap. Twenty-One: Family Love ( Chapter 21 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Family Love

Minerva doesn't have time left. Vash and Meryl would have to carry on without her. She was okay with that. All that mattered was Rieko.

“I've been trailing her for years,” she told them as they drove down through the desert. “I managed to get her out of that place.”

“What place?” Meryl asked. Minerva looked over at her.

“She ended up in a mental institution,” she said. Meryl and Vash looked shocked. The old lady took a look.

“It's because of him,” he said. “He's drawn to her.” She coughed hard enough to hurt her chest.

“Take is easy,” Meryl said. She rubbed the old lady on the back.

“Thank you, dear,” Minerva said. She took a breath.

“It's kind of hard to say it,” she said. She reached into her cloak. She held out a small stone. It gave off a dull glow.

“I don't have much time,” Minerva said. “My life has been used to protect her.” Vash listened from the back. The pieces started to come together in his head. It would be a short distance to the town. But still…

“Is she going to die?” Vash asked. Meryl looked at him through the rear window. Minerva lowered her eyes.

“Yes,” she said. Meryl's heart sank.

“What do you mean?” she asked. Minerva sighed.

“She, him, and I are all connected,” she said. “It was to keep her safe and him at bay.” She coughed again. She took in deep breaths.

“Are you okay?” Meryl asked.

“Yes,” the old lady said. “I'm going to be fine.” She took another breath.

“We are connected,” Minerva said. “Now, I am almost drained. If I die, they will both die. You have to stop him before he kills her.” She clutched her chest.

“Take it easy,” Meryl said again. Minerva nodded.

“Tell us what we have to do,” Vash said. The old lady lifted her chin.

“We all need to die to start again,” she said. Meryl about drove off the road. Vash's jaw dropped.

“It's the only way,” Minerva said. “If Knives kills her, it will all be for not!”

“But…” he said.

“No!” Minerva snapped. She coughed before she took a breath.

“But…” he said.

“No!” Minerva snapped. She coughed before she took a breath.

“Do you want to save Rieko?” she asked. The parents paused. Minerva narrowed her eyes.

“Do you want to save your daughter?” she asked. Meryl clutched the steering wheel.

“Yes!” she said. The old lady turned to Vash.

“And you?” she asked. He clenched his fists and lowered his head.

“Yes,” he said. Minerva breathed out.

“Good,” she said. “We need to find her. From there, I will work walk you through everything. Once we start, we can't back out. Got it?”

“Yes,” Vash and Meryl said.

“Right,” Minerva said. She coughed again. She took a breath and started talking.

Linked Together