Trigun Fan Fiction ❯ The Traveling Confessional ❯ Christmas at Midnight ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
The Traveling Confessional
Christmas at Midnight

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

[And when I see him in that frock
My conscience goes awry
I’ll give him some communion wine
That’s spiked with Spanish Fly]

Christmas day rolled around and that church was packed. Lucky me; it was my turn to deliver Mass. It all went pretty well…until I looked over to see who was playing the pipe organ.

Yep, you guessed it. It was dear little Brian. My hands started to quiver and I think I broke out into a sweat. I was so proud of my little, former altar boy! Playing the songs flawlessly, he was.

I barely made it through Mass. I had to talk to Brian. To congratulate him. *sigh* Sweet Brian…

[Altar boy, Altar boy
Is it gonna’ be Heaven or Hell?
You can play my organ all night long
If you promise not to tell]

But talking to him wasn’t going to be easy. God no; not with Jared running around! He wouldn’t let the boys out of his sight, let alone allow one of the other priests talk to them. I could try holding Brian back after mass, pretending that I was just a happy church-goer who was glad to see youths being taught at the church.

Oh, dammit, Jared would know! Even if I put on a disguise, he would know it was me!

That bastard…you should have met the guy! Fucking slime ball…

[Our Father, who art in Heaven
Hallowed be thy name
I could dress him up like the Pope and then I’d…
Oh, dear God, the shame!]

Oh, alas! What to do? I couldn’t talk to Brian, couldn’t make eye contact with him in the halls…I couldn’t even give him his Christmas present! All because of that stupid, fat, sandwich-making Jared!

And that, my friends, was when the idea hit me. Sandwiches; it was brilliant. I don’t think I told you this, but Jared also helped out in the kitchens. Yep, he was always down there making low-fat sandwiches for his altar boys lunches. He didn’t want them getting fat like him!

So I developed a plan. I would sneak into the kitchens that afternoon and put a note in Brian’s sandwich (Jared labeled the plates, so I would know which one was his). The note would tell Brian to go outside by the barn at midnight and get a surprise. Oh, this was going to be fun!

[No, no, lead us not into temptation
Deliver us from sin
We can pretend that he was Jesus Christ
And I was Mary Magdalene]

Midnight. The time had arrived.

I sat on a haystack outside the barn, biting my fingernails. I hoped that the note hadn’t been intercepted. I didn’t know if Jared inspected the sandwiches after he made them; I hoped not.

All I wanted to do was see Brian again; my little Mel…er, Brian! I just wanted to stroke his brown hair and gaze into his captivating eyes. Just to hold his hand and touch his cheek and make him happy. I would have given him anything and everything had he asked me too. But, what I really wanted was to…

[Altar boy, Altar boy
Confess your sins to me
You will find the grace of God
Inside my rectory]

I had to stop in mid-thought, because, low and behold, there he was! Dear little Brian, walking towards me and the barn, just as told to. He held his lantern up as he approached, sending candlelight across the snow. And then he saw me and George.

“Merry Christmas, little one,” I said to him.

For half and hour we road George. We went around the barn, into the forest, back to the barn…never close enough to the church so anyone peeking out could see us. Brian was happy for a while, but, if I remember right, he got a little nervous after a while. I’m not sure why. I mean, George didn’t buck and I was sitting behind Brian, holding the reins in front of him, making sure he wouldn’t fall off. Hmm…

[Altar boy, Altar boy
Confess your sins to me
You will find the grace of God
Inside my rectory]

After that, I walked him back to the church. He was about to go to his chambers, but I told him to stay with me a while longer.

For some reason, this frightened him. Why, I practically had to twist his arm to get him to stay out in the snow! He was bending and turning every which way so much that, at one point, he fell on the ground! I had to put my hand over his mouth to stop him from screaming!

Well, anyway, when he fell, he knocked over my legs and sent us both sprawling onto the snow. I remember landing on top of him and finally having my way with the boy.

The Lord knows it changed him forever. Rarely spoke to me again and never attempted to make eye contact. It was like he was ashamed to have loved me.

Well, to make a long story short, I never saw dear little Brian again.

[De profundis clamo ad te domine domine…]

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*pretty*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

A/N: Right…so, conclusion is coming up…yeah…