Tsubasa Chronicle Fan Fiction ❯ Sacrifices for a Broken Future ❯ Chapter 3 ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Sacrifices for a Broken Future
 
Summary: What would you do if you could change the future? Would you give up your entire life? What if you didn't have a choice?
Characters: Fai D. Flowright + Kurogane
Rating: T
Genre: Fantasy/Adventure/Angst
Copyright: Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle belongs to Clamp. Any other recognizable media belongs to their respective owners.
Crossovers: Card captor Sakura- Clamp; xxxHolic- Clamp
Couples: KuroFai, SyaoSaku
Author's Notes: I'm glad that every one is enjoying the story.
Last Time: Flashback:
Blue eyes stared silently out the window at a nearly starless sky. A soft sigh escaped him. “Stop staring, love. You're only going to depress yourself.” Fai turned and stared at his companion. “I can't help it. We should be doing something.”
 
Kurogane sighed. “We are doing something.” Fai walked towards him. “No we're not! We're not doing anything. We're just sitting here while worlds are dieing. Worlds, Kurogane! Entire worlds!” The ninja sighed and wrapped his arms around the former mage. “I know love, I know. We'll think of something. I'm sure of it.”
End Flashback.
===
It couldn't be. But it was, he realized as he looked at the jewelry. A clear diamond was cut into the shape of a teardrop, surrounded by a silver frame, and dangling from a thin silver chain. It was the gift Kurogane had given him before he was pushed inside the portal. “But how?” he whispered.
===
“As well as can be expected.” He whispered. “I'd ask if I didn't already know the answer. I can never get it back, can I?” Yuko shook her head. “No. That reality is gone forever. Even if you do things the same way as you did before you will not get the same result. That is the only evidence of the life you lived.” She stated, pointing at his necklace. He smiled sadly and clasped it, a tear traveling down his cheek.
===
“Too much has already been lost for the sake of that future, that horribly broken future, for me to not at least try to change it.” He smiled, “In every way I can, I will fix it. Even if those changes bring me farther away from you, Kurogane.” He whispered, placing one hand on the door.
“Talking”
`Thinking'
“Talking through Mokona”
 
Chapter 3-
 
Fai had to stifle his laughter as he watched Kurogane poke experimentally at the food he had cooked. “It's not poison, Kuro-chan. It won't kill you.” The dark red eyes shot him glare. “Coming from you that does nothing to reassure me.” He stated. Fai smiled and let out a giggle.
 
Finally he turned around and picked another plate off the counter. “Maybe this will be more to your liking.” He whispered, switching the plates. Kurogane blinked and stared in surprise at the food before him. “This is…This looks just like the food we had in Nihon. Where did you learn to cook this?” he asked, taking a small bite.
 
Fai shook his head. `Yeah, like I spent the entire two years in Nihon doing absolutely nothing.' Instead he merely said, “You'd be amazed the things you're willing to learn when your completely bored.” Kurogane nodded slightly, picking his way through the traditional meal from Nihon. He had no idea where the mage had learned to cook it or even when he learned what the food in Nihon was but he wasn't going to complain. And the mage was a pretty good cook.
 
Fai turned his head when he saw Syoaran entering the room. “Syaoran-kun's up!” he cheered. He easily directed the boy to a chair and offered him a plate. “Eat! Eat!” he encouraged.
 
Kurogane turned his head and looked at him. “Why the hell are you so cheerful today?” he asked. Fai turned his grin on the ninja. “I don't know.” He stated. “But it's not like moping around is going to get me any where.” He turned his blue gaze to Syaoran. “Right, Syaoran-kun?” The boy nodded with a smile on his face.
 
Fai smiled and nodded briefly. He knew why he was acting so cheerful. He didn't have the time to mope around feeling sorry for himself. There were too many things he needed to change and he'd already wasted too much time. `I have a lot of things to do and not enough time to do them. But the thing I need to focus on right now is the events in Tokyo. That's one calamity we need to avoid at all costs.'
 
Fai brightened. “Hey! That's what I'll call it!” He stated out loud, completely unaware of Syaoran and Kurogane watching him. “The First Great Calamity- FGC for short.”
 
He turned and spotted the two men giving him weird looks. He laughed nervously. “Oh, just ignore me! Crazy old me, never know what I'm going to say next.” Syaoran smiled at him while Kurogane shook his head.
 
Syaoran stood up and bowed slightly. “Thank you Fai-san. It was very good.” Fai smiled at the boy's politeness. “Oh, no need to bow, Syoaran-kun. I was happy to help. Now the Big Puppy can't say I don't do anything!” He laughed as the ninja glared at him and started to chase him around. “Don't call me that damn name!”
 
He grinned and threw himself easily over the counter, placing it between him and the irate ninja. “Nyah!” He stated, sticking his tongue out childishly. Syaoran appeared next to the man. “Perhaps it would be better if we went to work now?” He asked. Fai smiled, “Excellent idea, Syoaran-kun!”
 
He danced back around from behind the counter and grinned at the boy. “I'll stay here and run the shop.” He straightened, a thought running through his head. “I can teach Sakura-chan to make cookies…” He muttered thoughtfully, shifting through the cabinets aimlessly. “Yeah, there's enough here for a few batches…”
 
Syaoran smiled and shook his head as he walked out. “See you later, Fai-san!” The blonde gave him a distracted wave. He walked silently until Kurogane spoke up. “Hey, kid. You notice anything weird about the mage since we got to this world?”
 
Syoaran frowned thinking. “I think so. He seemed distracted yesterday and a few times I got the impression that he was going to suddenly start crying. But today he seemed fine. A bit more energetic than normal but he looked happy.” He stopped, a thought occurring to him. “Oh, yeah! Kurogane-san, before we came to this world did you happen to see Fai-san wearing any sort of necklace?”
 
The ninja shook his head. “You noticed it too?” Syoaran nodded. “He said it was a gift but I don't think he was telling the truth. He seemed as surprised and confused by it's presence as I was.”
 
Kurogane stared ahead in thought. “The day we arrived in this world he woke up in the middle of the night. He just sat there for awhile before he looked like he was going to break down and cry. I think he almost did. However this morning he had a look in his eyes. He looked determined.” He turned his head down and stared the brunette in the eye. “Whatever's going on with that mage I believe he came to a decision last night. I don't know what that decision is but until he does something that puts someone in danger I suggest we leave him alone.” Syoaran nodded.
===============================================================
He smiled at the girl slowly rolling the dough into balls. “Just like that. Yes, very good Sakura-chan.” He looked up as Kurogane reentered the room. He glided towards the counter and held out a plate for the ninja. “Just in time, Kuro-sama. Try some, we just finished baking them. But be careful, they're hot.”
 
Kurogane stared at the cookies in suspicion before silently accepting one. He stared into the mage's eyes as he chewed before shrugging. “They're okay.” He muttered. Fai jumped up and down. “Yay! Kuro-pin approves!” he shouted.
 
The ninja shook his head and caught the man's shoulder to keep him in place long enough to talk to him. “The informant said that the woman who had seen the new type of Oni sang in a bar. The kid can't enter because he's underage. Do you want to come?”
 
Fai stared at the man with an odd look in on his face before he nodded. “I'll just go get my coat.” He whispered. Turning he jogged up the stairs towards his room. Closing the door behind him he leaned against it and let out a soft, humorless laugh. “You're just like him Kuro-pon. So much like my Kurogane that it's not even funny.” He touched his shoulder where Kurogane had held him down. "He did the same thing whenever he wanted to talk to me. Said he was scared I was going to jump up in the middle of a conversation and just float off." He laughed hollowly.
 
He banged his head against the door. “Why is this so hard? I just have to smile and move through the days. I used to do it all the time.” He grinned darkly. “Is it because I know what it's like to be free? Because I know just how far you are all going to grow?”
 
He shook his head and grabbed the coat of his bed and walked out. Slowly he made a mental checklist of the things he had to do. `First, keep Syaoran from going insane in Tokyo. Try to be closer to the real Syoaran when he appears. Keep Sakura from doing anything that would cause her to lose that innocence. Find a way to escape Fei Wang Reed's hold without him noticing. Get the feather in Celes without anyone noticing. Oh yeah, and save the universe.' He sighed as he left the shop with Kurogane. `I hate my life.'
 
Kurogane nudged his arm lightly, “Oi!” He looked up at the man with a questioning look. “Is something wrong, Kuro-kii?” The ninja stared at him for a moment before he shook his head. “I don't get you sometimes.”
 
Fai smiled darkly. `Really? My Kurogane said the same thing.' “What do you mean?” The man turned and met his eyes. “When we started this journey you were very secretive, you didn't let anyone in at all. Now, you're not even trying to hide. You just let your mask drop.”
 
Fai smiled sadly. “I don't see a reason to try and hide from you when you can see straight though it.” He stated. Kurogane didn't get a chance to respond because Oni suddenly appeared. Fai's eyes narrowed. “I thought Oni weren't supposed to be on this road.” He whispered. Kurogane smirked, “Looks like the Oni are starting to act strangely.”
 
Fai jumped out of the way of the incoming attack and let out a mental curse. `I knew I was forgetting something. But I had no valid reason to bring those stupid darts the first time, why would I bring them the second time around?' He ducked and spun away.
 
“Kuro-pon!” he called. “I have no weapons.” He rapidly backed away from the Oni in front of him. Gathering magic into his legs he jumped up and landed easily on the roof. He ran down the edge, chanting to himself. “Don't get hit. Don't get hit. Don't get hit.” He cursed when the Oni attacked the portion of roof in front of him, forcing him to jump off.
 
Unfortunately when he landed he was unable to move completely out of the way when he was attacked. The beam of light slashed through his leg. He winced but moved away. “Wah! Kuro-chan! Help!” He cried. “I'm busy.” The man stated, slicing wildly through the Oni. Kurogane had the decency to glance back at him.
 
Fai was slowing down. `Damn it! What is wrong with me? Beside the hole in my leg I mean.' He jumped up onto a street light to get away from the Oni. He looked up at the group surrounding him and placed a gentle hand on his wound. `Something's wrong. The wound should be healing by now.'
 
It was at this point he realized he should be paying attention. He let himself slide off the pole as the blast shot over his head. He landed wrong. He let out a cry as one Oni took advantage of his downed state and slammed him into the wall. His vision darkened momentarily. “Kuro…gane…” he wheezed out.
 
When his sight settled he was staring at Kurogane's back. He relaxed unconsciously, knowing the man wouldn't let him be hurt anymore. “Chi-Ryu-Jin-En-Bu!” He stretched slightly as the last of Kurogane's attack washed over. `Okay, no broken bones. My ribs are probably bruised but it's not life threatening. The only problem is my leg. It should be healing.' His eyes widened. `I'm still working off my old limits. I'm still fighting as if I was a vampire.'
 
He looked up when a hand was held out in front of him. “You okay, mage?” Fai nodded and let Kurogane drag him to his feet. He slowly shifted onto his injured leg and waited until he was sure it was going to hold to let out his breath. “It's just my leg. It'll heal.” He looked away. “Sorry. I tried to move.”
 
He could feel the man's eyes burning a hole into the side of his head but he refused to look up. Sighing, Kurogane grabbed the mage's arm and steadied him as they walked to Clover. Fai let himself lean against the man, a smile flickering briefly across his face.
==============================================================
Fai couldn't help it. He doubled over in laughter as Syoaran swung his gloves around like a sword. “Some…someone get me a-a cam…era.” He choked out, placing a hand on the wall to steady himself. He slid to his knees so he wouldn't fall.
 
He looked up as Kurogane approached and glared at him. “You are not helping!” The ninja growled. Fai tried to calm himself. Sakura meowed. He lost it at that point.
 
Kurogane stared at the mage with a frown. He wasn't going to be of any help. He turned towards his younger companions and scowled. “That's it! No more drinks for you! Ever!” Behind him he could still hear the mage laughing his head off. “And will you shut up?!”
==============================================================
Kurogane was still in a bad mood when he returned downstairs. He stopped and looked around the room for the mage. The blonde was leaning against the window, a bottle of beer held loosely in one hand. The mage turned his head slightly to stare at him from the corner of his eyes. “Are the kids alright?” he asked.
 
Kurogane shrugged. “They're fine for now. I won't say anything for when they wake up.” Fai nodded and turned back to the window. Kurogane twisted his head and stared at the mage. His reflection in the glass was somber and his eyes glistened. The mage had apparently moved from cheerful and energetic to dismal and depressed. Kurogane sighed.
 
Fai continued to stare out the window, thoughts running through his head. `I promised myself that I'd stop the self pitying. But I can't seem to forget. They're exactly alike in almost every way that I can't help but be reminded. But other times they do something that seems so out of place that I can't forget these aren't the people I spent the last two years with.' He closed his eyes and thought.
 
Flashback:
 
Fai stared at the girl in horror. She had to be kidding. There was no way she was serious. “How could you…Why would you…what possessed you to...” Fai was unable to form the words. “Sakura-chan, tell me your joking!” He shouted. The young princess continued to stare at him.
 
Fai looked around. Where was Kurogane? He'd tell him that everything was alright. The princess was not conspiring to send him back in time and make him give up the only real peace he'd ever had. They wouldn't seriously…even try… Sakura seemed to read his thoughts. “Kurogane-san is well aware of the plan, Fai-san.” Blue eyes turned to stare at her wildly. “No! No, he wouldn't do something like this! You're lying!” He covered his ears and backed away from the girl.
 
Sakura sighed. “Things have already been arranged, Fai-san. You leave in two weeks time.” Fai shook his head. “No! I'm not going! I won't!” Sakura's green eyes contained a coldness he had never seen and a pity he didn't want too.
 
“I'm sorry, Fai-san. But you seem to be under the impression that I'm giving you a choice.”
 
End Flashback.
 
Fai was shaken from the memory when Kurogane grabbed his shoulder. “Are you okay?” The mage was suddenly aware that he was shaking. He forced the jerks away and nodded. “I'm fine.”
 
“Your crying.” Kurogane whispered. Fai jumped and touched a hand to his cheek in surprise. It came back wet. “I-I…I can't make them stop.” He whispered. Fai pressed a hand over his mouth to hide his sobs and bowed his head. His shoulders were shaking again. “I said I wasn't going to cry.” He whispered.
 
Kurogane stared at him, unsure of what to do. The mage had never let his guard down enough for him to see the man cry. The closest he'd come was a few nights ago and Fai hadn't known he was there.
 
The sound of the beer bottle shattering on the ground caused Fai to jerk away. He turned and ran up the stairs. “Good night.” He whispered. Kurogane watched him go.
 
Unnoticed, Mokona watched the scene from the doorway. And through Mokona Yuko watched with sad eyes and a heavy heart. “No matter how hard you try you can never get it back.” She whispered.