Tsubasa Chronicle Fan Fiction ❯ The Gamble ❯ Gamble for Fun ( Chapter 6 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

The Gamble
Summary: When Kurogane and Fai are still just children Yuko, Tomoyo, and Ashura take a risky gamble.
Characters: Kurogane + Fai D. Flowright.
Rating: K+
Genre: Friendship/Romance
Copyright: Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle belongs to Clamp. Any other recognizable media is the property of their respective owners.
Crossovers: xxxHolic- Clamp
Couples: KuroFai
Author's Notes: 7 more chapters till this story ends. You all are going to kill me. Please check my profile. There is a poll there that I would like people to do.
Last Time:
His eyes snapped back open. “Fai!” he shouted, staring at the floating boy in shock. Fai offered him a weak smile. “Please step back, Kurogane.” Kurogane followed the request in a daze. Fai was alright.
===
Kurogane had followed him around the rest of the night and all of today after his fall. Fai didn't hold it against him, he was still shaken up himself but after awhile it did get a little…irksome.
===
Fai smiled and fell back again, still laughing. Kurogane sighed and collapsed next to him. “Are you alright, Fai?” he asked, staring at the boy out of the corner of his eyes.
 
Fai twisted his head and stared at Kurogane. “I'm alright.” He whispered, reaching out and grasping Kurogane's hand. He smiled brightly. “Never better.” Kurogane's eyes softened and he squeezed the hand holding his. “That's good.” He whispered.
===
Kurogane sighed and loosened his grip, running his fingers through Fai's hair again. Fai's face relaxed slightly and he smiled. Kurogane stared down at the blonde with soft eyes. He couldn't get the scene of Fai falling out of his head; it was burned into his eyes. The hand that he'd draped over Fai's stomach tightened its grip. “Never again.” He swore staring intently at the blonde's peaceful face. “I won't allow any harm to come to you ever again.” He stated fiercely.
 
“Talking”
`Thinking'
 
Chapter 6- Gamble for Fun-
Fai walked around the house with a raised eyebrow. Everyone was scurrying about; making sure everything was in perfect condition. He had no idea what was going on. Where was Kurogane when he needed him?
 
He entered his room, the only place he considered safe at the moment, and sat down. He reached up, running one hand slowly though his hair. His eyes softened slightly. He'd had the nicest dream last night. He sighed softly, dropping his hand back into his lap.
 
There were spells he could work on. He didn't want too. He could go bake something. He wasn't in the mood. He could just get up again and freaking walk. Did he have another option?
 
Fai groaned, pushing himself back up again. There had to be something he could do. He pushed open his door and managed a step before someone ran past him, nearly running into him. On second thought, maybe he should just stay here.
=============================================
Kurogane pushed open the door to Fai's room, looking around. “Fai?” He watched as the blonde crawled out from his hiding place, looking up at him with wide blue eyes. “Kurogane, thank god!” The blonde shouted, clinging on to him.
 
Kurogane resisted the urge to grin. “Why were you hiding?” he asked. Fai looked up at him. “Because I take one step out that door and nearly get run over! It's much safer in here!”
 
Kurogane choked back a laugh. “Sorry about that. My father will be home in a few days so everyone's trying to make things perfect.” Fai drew away; Kurogane frowned a little. “That makes sense I guess. I still think I'll just stay in here.” Fai whispered, twisting the edge of his sleeve in nervousness.
 
Kurogane grinned at the sight. “Uh-un! You're coming with me. We're going into town.” Fai paled. “Why?”
 
Kurogane stared at him in worry. “Fai, you alright? You're pale white!” He stated, pressing a hand to Fai's forehead. “If I said I wasn't could we stay here?” Fai asked, staring up at him with wide blue eyes.
 
The darker of the two chuckled. “I won't let any one hurt you.” He stated confidently. “I made a promise.” He winked. Fai gulped, “I'd prefer to crawl back into my little spot and not come out.” He whispered meekly. Kurogane laughed again.
===================================================
Fai glared at Kurogane. “I have no idea how you did it!” he seethed. “Not only did you get me to go to town, you managed to get me on one of these damn things again.” He stated, holding tighter to the reins on the horse.
 
Behind him, Kurogane laughed. “You're too tense.” Fai glared again. “You're too calm!” he snapped back.
 
Kurogane smiled. “You'll be fine.” He assured. Fai sighed, “I'm not going to win, am I?” Kurogane shook his head. “Not in a million years.”
===================================================
Fai groaned as Kurogane dragged him around. The town was nice yes, but he didn't care. He listened with only half an ear as the dark boy talked. He closed his eyes briefly, taking a deep breath. `His father is coming home, Fai. Let him have his fun.'
 
He didn't see Kurogane move with his eyes closed and he barely noticed when the talking stopped but he did notice the hands that dropped softly onto his shoulders. Fai sighed softly and relaxed into Kurogane's touch. “You're really tense.” Kurogane whispered. “Are you alright?”
 
The blonde nodded, “Hm. Sorry, I'm not being much fun.” Kurogane smiled and shook his head. “Don't worry about it. Come on.”
====================================================
“Sir. Young sir.”
 
The two turned and stared at the man sitting behind the counter. He smiled. “Would you and your friend like to play?” he asked. Kurogane smiled politely and was about to refuse when Fai walked forward in curiosity. “What is it?”
 
The man smiled. “Just something for the younger kids. Basically you take these darts and try to pop the balloons. You get a prize if you hit enough.” The blonde smiled and turned to stare at Kurogane. “Can I try?”
 
The darker boy sighed and shrugged. “Why not?” he asked. The man smiled and placed some darts on the table, stepping out of the line of fire. “For you two it's free.” He stated. Fai grinned and carelessly tossed the darts between his hands. Not really concentrating he threw them without looking. Two popped.
 
Kurogane smiled and stepped forward. “My turn.” He stated. He waited while the man replaced the balloons and threw them. Five blew. He grinned. “What's that worth?” he asked.
 
Fai stared at the darts for a minute. “Hold.” He stated. “I want to try again.” He stated. Gently he picked them up and looked up at the targets with determined blue eyes. He shifted as his to use a bow and threw the darts in rapid succession. All ten darts hit their mark.
 
He smiled brightly and looked up at the man behind the booth. “How's that?” he asked.
=======================================
Kurogane grumbled slightly as he walked behind the blonde. “Oh come on Kurogane.” The blonde shouted in amusement. “It wasn't that bad.”
 
The boy glared at his companion. “You just had to pick the biggest prize, didn't you?” he asked in annoyance. The blonde grinned. “At least the man was nice enough to hold it for us. Now we don't have to carry it around.”
 
Kurogane rolled his eyes. “That's not the point.” He snapped. He was about to continue when a group of women surrounded Fai, talking rapidly. “Oh, what a beautiful boy!”
“Just look at his. I've never seen such a color.”
“And what beautiful eyes. Like jewels.”
 
Fai glanced back at him in horror as the girls squealed. “Kurogane, help!” The darker boy grinned maliciously. “No way in hell!” he shouted. “You on your own.”
 
“Kurogane!”
 
“Ladies, enough.” A soft, commanding stated. The women drew back as another woman walked forward. She stopped before Fai and bowed slightly. “You must forgive. They can get a bit excitable.”
 
Fai blushed modestly and returned the bow. “It's alright. Really.” Kurogane walked forward with a grin. “Oh no need to apologize. That was perhaps the funniest thing I've seen all day.”
 
The blonde glared at him and huffed. “A lot of help you were.” He snapped. Kurogane smiled. “I try.” He stated.
 
The woman smiled. “Young master. May we borrow your friend?” Fai blinked while Kurogane grinned and nodded. “Fai I want you to meet Alana. She specializes in fashion. She normally appears for occasions such as this.”
 
Fai jerked slightly. “No you can't borrow me!” he shouted when he realized what was going on. “Oh yes she can. Do your worst Alana.” Kurogane allowed. Fai eyes widened as the group of girls reappeared and dragged him off. “Wait. Stop! Kurogane!”
================================
Kurogane looked up from where he was sitting on the ground as Alana approached. “I'm sorry we took so long. Please bring your friend back soon. He is so much fun.”
 
Kurogane grinned and nodded. He turned slightly when he heard Fai approach. His jaw dropped.
 
A faint blush had been dusted over his cheeks and the tiniest bit of gloss crossed his lips. His eyes had been lined with charcoal to bring out their bright blue color. He was dressed in an elegant blue and silver kimono that danced around his form. He was beautiful. Fai looked up at him. “Is this okay?” He asked.
 
Kurogane looked away with a brush and nodded slightly. “Yea-Yeah. It's fine.” Fai bit his lip. “Really?”
 
“You look beautiful.” Kurogane stated without thinking. Immediately his eyes widened. `Why did I say that?'
 
Fai blushed deeply and dropped his head so that his flaxen hair covered his blush. “Th-thanks.” Neither boy noticed Alana's smirk. “Well you two take care now.” She stated and left the two badly blushing boys there.
=============================================
Roughly an hour later Kurogane sat down in a small field just outside of the town. “That was fun.” He said. Fai collapsed next to him. “Sure. Next time you can be the dress up doll.”
 
Kurogane looked over at him. “You're still mad about that?” he asked. Fai turned his head away. Kurogane sighed. “I'm sorry. And besides I wouldn't make a good model. You're much cuter.”
 
The blonde blushed and looked away. Kurogane looked over at the boy. “Hey. You seemed a bit upset earlier. You okay?” Fai bit his lip. “I've been thinking.”
 
“Uh-oh.” Kurogane joked. Fai hit him. “Oh stop it you.” He stated. Kurogane held up his hands. “Ow. Alright, alright. What's wrong?”
 
Fai stopped and let himself fall onto his back. Kurogane followed him down. “I've been here a really long time already. I'm going to have to leave soon.” The blonde stated.
 
Kurogane froze, his eyes widened. `No!' Fai slowly brought his hands up to cover his eyes. “I don't want to leave.” He whispered. “It's nice here.”
 
He stiffened briefly when Kurogane turned and wrapped an arm around his waist, dragging the blonde towards him. “I don't want that either.” The boy muttered. “Not ever. Please don't ever leave my side.”
 
Fai's lips trembled slightly and he dropped his arms down to wrap around Kurogane. “Never.” He promised.