Twilight Fan Fiction / Twilight Fan Fiction / Twilight Fan Fiction ❯ Untitled: A Leah Clearwater Story ❯ Chapter 13 ( Chapter 13 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Author's Note: Thanks for reading and reviewing my story; I am pleasantly surprised by the amount of people following along. The story is about to take some interesting turns in the next three chapters; I hope you like them!!
-------------------------------------------------------------- -----------------------------------------------------------
 
Chapter 13
 
I sat, yet again in Dr. Cullen's office as he shuffled his papers frowning at them while he shook his head.
 
“Nothing conclusive was found by any of the tests I conducted. There is no concrete proof that you are healthy or dying, by normal standards anyway. Your heart seems healthy and strong from the EKG reading, so everything seems fine in that respect. However, your blood and DNA…” he shuffled his papers and turned them so I could read along with him.
 
“This was your blood and DNA reading I had on file from when you fell and shattered your ankle two years ago. Everything reads very similar to your brother's information. The two of you share the same blood type, which is why we tested Nahuel's venom against his blood first to examine the reaction.” He slides the paper to the side and placed another in front of me.
 
“Here are your current results . . .see how your DNA has been altered.” He pointed to various points on the paper signifying the changes; I could see the differences, but had no idea what they meant.
 
“Are these changes permanent?” I asked relatively calm, even though I was slightly unnerved. I hated beating around the bush; there was no point in showing me graphs. I could care less about what they said.
 
“They seem to be . . . I also have some bad news.” His face seemed uneasy as he relayed his next bit of news. “Leah, we tested your current blood sample against Nahuel's venom and it had the same affect as the tests previously run on Seth's blood. I am sorry.”
 
“What does that mean?” I asked a question I already knew the answer to. He thought that it was impossible for Nahuel and me to be close.
“Romantic behavior between Nahuel and you is not advisable. You are very lucky to be alive Leah, I'm not sure you will be that lucky again.”
 
“But according to the tests I should be dead already. I think something is wrong with the test you've run, maybe you are not running the right test.” I said grasping at straws. In my own way I was right. I should be dead right now, but I am not. There has to be a reason for that. However, these vampire people weren't going to let this go. They are the most careful cautious beings I have ever met.
 
“Leah, do you really want to take that risk? Imagine what it would do to Nahuel knowing that his venom would be responsible for your death, if things were to end badly. Be sensible.”
 
“Thanks for the advice, Carlisle. I will take your info under consideration,” I said exiting his office.
 
“Sorry.” He murmured so softly I didn't know whether I was supposed to hear it or not.
 
“It's not your fault.” I said as I made my way to the door. Nahuel stood by the door in the hallway where I had left him. I knew he had heard everything and would agree with everything the good doctor said. He looked as devastated as I felt. He went to say something but I cut him off. I didn't feel like having a repeat discussion about my safety right now. I needed some time to be in my own head.
 
“I feel like running. Give me a few minutes and then join me okay.” I gave the best fake smile I could muster. He nodded. Even though I needed to be in my own head, my heart could not stand to be without his presence but for so long. Once outside, I stripped down to nothing. I felt the heat in my stomach spread throughout my body. This time, however it hurt. It was like burning lava running through my veins, throughout my body. I let out a scream, which turned into an ear-splitting howl that shook trees and broke branches as I transformed.
 
As soon as I walked from behind the tree, everyone had come out of the house and was now standing before me.
 
“Is that Leah?!” Renesmee said surprised by something, “She is beautiful!”
 
I tilted my head in confusion. Ren came over and touched my head as she showed me the new version of myself through her eyes. Snow-white fur offset by my light gray eyes. I also seemed taller and stronger than before. I thought I looked scary. Ren always had a way of knowing what I was thinking, my eyes widened in shock.
 
“I know weird right, but it is okay so don't freak out!!” She said acknowledging my surprise. I whimpered a little, the only way I could voice my frustration at the time.
 
“You are not scary by the way, just different.” Edward said.
 
“Well, I think you look creepy!” Emmett said as he reached out to touch me. I jerked away from him and ran into the woods. I whimpered playfully to get everybody's attention, “Catch me if you can losers!”
 
“She wants us to race her.” Edward informed them.
 
“Let's see how fast you really are little wolf.” Nahuel snickered seemingly okay with yet another change I had undergone. Why does he always call me little? I am not little!!
 
“Nahuel, she said she is not little!!” Edward informed Nahuel in a way off impression of me.
 
“Yeah, that sounds like her.” They both laughed. Seth and Jacob both phased and the race was on. It was awesome. The speed I was blessed with bent trees and broke off large branches. My speed could now only be rivaled with one other being in the house.
 
“What took you so long?” Edward said leaning on a tree.
 
Too cocky for your own good. He laughed once more at my thoughts. Nahuel came in third followed by Bella and the rest of the clan.
 
Wow, Sis, that was amazing!! I could barely see you. All I could see was this white flash!
 
Thanks, but it shouldn't be that unfamiliar to you. I was and will always be faster than you! I teased.
 
Huh, well maybe I should kiss a vampire too! Then, I could be super fast! I wonder if Rosalie would be up for it!
 
Don't even think about it, besides Shelly would kill you!!
 
“She's right, if anybody could. Shelly would find a way to harm you.” Edward said butting in once more; at least he was on my side for a change.
 
Hey Leah, Jacob's voice then entered my thoughts, we heard about the results. Sorry, man that sucks!
 
Yeah, who are you telling?!
 
“There's bound to be a loop hole or an explanation we have yet to figure out . . . we are still working on it” Edward said as he locked eyes with Bella and walked toward her wrapping his arms around her. She, in turn, laid her head on his chest. Their reactions to each other seemed so natural and easy, unlike Nahuel and mine. I had to think about every move I made when it came to him, talk about an effort of love.
 
I saw him sitting with Dr. Cullen and Esme. I was actually tempted not to go over to him, to just sit with my thoughts. I'm sure I knew what he was saying. I imagined he was pumping Carlisle for information about the results and trying to rack his brain. Meanwhile, I was trying to figure out a way out of this mess. I saw him smooth his hair back, worry and hurt in his eyes. It was then that I made my way over to him. I trotted over to him slowly my head ducked down. I felt so guilty knowing I was the reason he was in pain.
 
“What's wrong?” he asked as I approached him; I whimpered a little and sat my head on his knee. He rubbed the top of my head and I let out a sigh of contentment.
“You okay . . .. You sounded as though you were in pain when you phased?” He and Dr. Cullen both studied me for some kind of answer. I shook my head and grunted. I wanted him to stop asking me questions I couldn't really answer with a yes or a no.
 
“No, you're not okay?” Nahuel was understandably lost; I rolled my eyes and motioned with my head for Nessie to follow me. She grabbed my clothes and was right behind me. When I phased back, the inferno washed over me once more. It wasn't as bad as the first time (but still extremely painful) partly because I expected its torture. The whole experience left me lethargic and made me drop to my knees.
 
“Oh my God, Leah!” Ren said as she helped me up. I dressed as fast as possible and leaned on Ren for balance; I never felt so out of it before. When we reappeared, the others approached us. Nahuel immediately took Nessie's place by my side, compassion and empathy colored his eyes.
 
“It hurts when I phase back and forth . . .it never felt good, but it never really hurt until now. I'm okay though . . .stop worrying so much” I nudged him, “We should get back to school tomorrow, right?” I said trying to change his focus.
 
“Should she go back to school so soon?” Nahuel directed his question to Carlisle.
 
“She's been awake for three days now and her condition seems to be steady disregarding what just happened, of course. We will see what the night brings.” Dr. Cullen said staring at me like a science project.
 
“Wow! Way to talk about me like I'm not here.”
 
“Sorry, Leah. Sometimes, you just don't have your best interest at heart.” It's funny! Even though he was insulting me, when he smiled, I smiled and shrugged. I still haven't figured out a successful way of arguing with him. I conceded the fact and grabbed his hand as we walked back to the house. The more we walked the more exhausted I became.
 
“Nahuel . . .” Was the last thing I remembered saying before everything faded to black.
 
When I awakened, his eyes immediately connected with mine.
 
“How long was I out?” I yawned as I groggily rubbed my eyes and repositioned myself in the bed.
 
“Only thirty minutes . . . however, that was enough to scare me to death, if that were possible.”
 
I laughed. I felt fine now and the more Nahuel and I talked, the better I felt. I couldn't figure out what was going on with my body. I knew the good doctor would have a field day with this one!