Twilight Fan Fiction / Twilight Fan Fiction / Twilight Fan Fiction ❯ Untitled: A Leah Clearwater Story ❯ Chapter 19

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Author's Note: Thanks again for all of the wonderful reviews. Sorry no real major action has happened yet, but it is coming. Also, I am thinking of telling this story from Nahuel's POV for my next fanfiction attempt, let me know what you think?
----------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------------------------
 
Chapter 19
 
About an hour after our “adventure” in the woods we returned to the house and I could smell Esme's cooking from the front lawn. I hadn't eaten all day and the smell made my mouth water. All of the family from my past sat down with the people I now considered my family (even thought the majority of them didn't eat) it was an awesome experience something, I will never forget.
 
After sitting quietly through dinner Emily went to the guest room to pack her things. As I walked past the room I heard her mumble something about me under her breath.
 
“You okay Emily?” I asked curious what her problem was now, it seemed the girl always had a problem.
 
“How could you?” she huffed.
 
“What did I do?”
 
“How could you make that thing your maid of honor?”
 
“Ren happens to be the same exact `thing' Nahuel is,” I said defensively.
 
“I thought we were best friends, how could you say that about someone else?”
 
“We were best friends, a long time ago, a lot has changed since then Em, and you know that,” I said with all the sensitivity I could a lot for this situation.
 
“It will never be the same will it” I watched as she fully evaluated or situation.
 
“We can still be close,” I said sitting on the bed beside her, “we can stay in contact everyday, the Internet is a powerful thing.”
 
“Leah, why did fate rip us apart?” she turned to me if I were supposed to have some profound answer.
 
“Because bigger things were planned for both of us.”
 
“You mean bigger things were planned for you” she huffed, “You're the one marrying a gorgeous man, with whom you get to spend eternity with, me I get older everyday and Sam stays the same.”
 
“Oh, well you know that he is able to give all of that up and eventually he'll grow old with you.” I said rubbing her back. I can't believe I was trying to make her feel better about her relationship with Sam, but it did have to suck knowing that your husband would always look perfect while you slowly started to look like his mother and not his wife.
 
“He doesn't want to. I know how he feels about phasing, there once was a time when he hated what he was, now he loves it, he says it makes him feel free. I don't want to make him give up something he loves so much, I've already done enough in that department.” I knew she meant taking him away from me. I had to wonder why every conversation we had came back to this topic, I wasn't dwelling on it anymore it was time to lay it to rest.
 
“God Em, I told you I forgave you, give it a rest already!” I snapped wishing their departure was sooner than tomorrow morning.
 
“No you don't and neither does he!” she cried, “He feels like he is being forced to love and protect me, he compares me to you all the time. I have to live with this everyday, don't you dare tell me to give it a rest!” Her anger shocked me.
 
“Why would he compare us? When I left you two seemed so in love, what changed?”
 
“You left. He missed you.” She said folding the last piece of clothing, “I just know he would find a way to break the imprint if he could!” She began to sob. I hugged her for lack of know what else to do. She cried as if someone had taken her heart right out of her chest and stomped on it, her whole body trembled.
 
“Emily you can't know that” I said softly.
 
“I see the way he looks at you. When he looks at me he seems like he is in a daze or a trance, sometimes he refuses to look at me because he doesn't want to feel controlled by me. But when he looks at you . . .” she said her breath catching in spots, “There's no genetic pull that causes it. Only love and affection.”
 
“I'm sorry you feel that way, I personally disagree. I didn't see any of that when he looked at me.”
 
“It's because you are over him. You don't see anyone but Nahuel. The mention of his name made me smile yet again, however in this case I wish it hadn't, I didn't want to cause her more pain.
 
“Your lucky Leah, so lucky” she said her tone very remorseful.
 
“And so are you, don't you forget it, Sam's a great guy, your guy, just because he is a little confused right now it doesn't mean he loves you any less” She smiled and I laughed at the awkwardness of the conversation.
 
“I love you Leah, this conversation couldn't have been easy for you.”
 
“No, no it wasn't but it was necessary”
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------
 
I went outside to the front porch and stood to myself and fully digest what Emily had told me. Was it true was Sam still holding on to the past in that way?
 
“Alarming news . . . do you need a sounding board” Edward asked joining me outside.
“No, not really, but you could answer the question that's on my mind.”
 
“Which one there are so many?” he smirked.
 
“The three loudest you hear.” I said actually sitting beside him on the step. He took a moment before he answered my questions.
 
“Yes she's right. Yes he really does love her. I can't answer the third question, I can only read minds I can't tell the future.”
 
“Well do you think me talking to him would help them?”
 
“I know you want to help but I think it would be advisable if you let this run its course.” I nodded in response to his statement, “I'm not sure if you are really listening to me but I hope you are, involving yourself in their problem may cause problems of your own.”
 
“Nahuel”
 
“He gets very jealous, understandably so, it is very difficult to see the woman you love interact with another man, especially one she has an history with.”
 
“I know, but I feel I should do something”
 
“If you refuse to listen, your to meddle is coming” With that Edward got up to back inside, “remember what I said” Within seconds of Edward's departure Sam appeared from the trees repositioning his shirt.
 
“Were you waiting for me?” He said and I rolled my eyes in response. He sat beside me and there was a brief moment of silence between us.
 
“So . . .” I said wondering how to start a conversation with someone I used to talk to everyday.
 
“So?”
 
“Do you know why Emily is hurting?” I said looking down at my ring.
 
“Yes” he said his voice very cold; it was the voice he used when he wanted a conversation to be dropped. He must not have remembered that it never worked on me.
 
“Well . . . what are you doing about it?”
 
“Nothing.” Cold awkward silence again.
 
“Nothing?”
 
“What do you want me to do Leah, I can't help what I feel.”
 
“And what is that exactly?” I said slightly perturbed by his lack of concern for Emily feelings. How could he not care, she was his imprint for crying out loud.
 
“I feel . . . confused. I told her how I felt and asked her to give me a little time to sort things out but all she wants to do is talk about it.”
 
“Sam, that's silly, honestly there's nothing for you to be confused about, you have everything you ever wanted and you about to ruin it over nothing.”
 
“Really?” He said in disbelief, “I have everything I have ever wanted?” He said getting close to my face and staring in my eyes.
 
“You know what I mean; the love of your life and the power of being an alpha and all that” I said he sat back at my side.
 
“I just feel like we were robbed. What we had was effortless and so easy, it just felt right being with you.” Silence attacked us again; rehashing the past was pointless and would not help either of our current situations. I felt bad for Sam because I had felt the same way for a long time (over six years) but I didn't want to confuse pity with actual emotions.
 
“Well, I hope you make things right with Em. Just reassure her you love her, you know how sensitive she is” With that I got up to go inside.
 
“Leah” he said and I turned around and he was right in my face, he looked at me as if he wanted something, he moved in even closer.
 
“Sam, no!” I said grabbing his shoulder and pushing him away. “How could you do that, don't you know how badly that would hurt Emily!”
 
“What about you Leah? You honestly feel nothing for me now?” I said nothing I just walked inside, I hated to admit that yet again Edward was right, there was nothing I could do for either of them, me being in their lives now would only make it worse.
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------
I thought saying goodbye to my past again would be difficult, but when morning came and Carlisle drove away with my past bundled safely inside his car, it felt like a weight was lifted off of my shoulders. I exhaled deeply letting go of all the stress that had built up inside.
 
“Are you sad to see them leave?” Nahuel said wrapping his arms around me from behind.
 
“No, I'm just worried about my cousin. Her husband had a lot on his mind, he needs to sort out.”
 
“Don't worry he will, you ready for school?” he asked tightening his tie. Nahuel had taken to the vest tie combo with jeans which made him look incredibly sexy, I think someone must have tipped him off to how much I like it because he now had a huge variety vests and ties.
 
“Yeah I guess so” I said shoving my last book into my bag, Nahuel frowned at how aggressive I was being with my book bag, “I have a bad feeling about today, it's torturing me.” I explained.
 
“Okay now you are starting to sound like Alice,” he laughed.
 
“I know, but I can't help it” I said fidgeting with a button on my blouse, “I would just feel a lot safer it we all stayed home today.” The feeling was strange I couldn't explain it right; there was an intense pressure on my stomach.
 
“We can't Leah, Carlisle wouldn't approve,” he said handing me my book bag.
 
“If I were Alice it wouldn't be a problem” I huffed.
 
“You are right, you aren't Alice, but personally I like you better.” He smiled.
 
“Oh really” I said wrapping my arms around him.
 
“Leah” he said unwrapping my arms and taking my hand, “we have to go” he said pulling me out the door.
 
Once we were downstairs I found Shelly and Alice with their heads together in a bridal magazine. I tried to back away slowly before they noticed us there.
 
“Leah, Nahuel, it would help me so much if you would set a date already” Alice complained.
 
“Help you what?” I hadn't told or given anyone permission to plan anything in regards to my wedding.
 
“Planning the wedding of course unless you were thinking of getting someone else to do, which you weren't because you know how much it means to me.”
 
“And me too” Shelly added just to make sure I knew she was helping.
 
I took a moment to think about a proper time, as a little girl I never really thought about this kind of thing. I just assumed that it would happen in its own time.
 
“June” Nahuel said breaking my concentration, “June because of school and the ease of creating an excuse for us to go away together. Edward and Carlisle both think that month would be best.”
 
I frowned at the lack of control I seem to have over this event, however their reasons as always were logical. The thought of being somewhere alone with Nahuel made any concerns with lack of control seem insignificant.
 
“June is fine,” I said sitting at the table with Alice and Shelly.
 
“Great most of the prettier dresses are for the spring and summer anyway” Shelly said showing me some of the dresses they had highlighted.
 
“I want something simple; don't go overboard” I warned picking up my backpack.
 
“Of course, I know what you'll like Leah trust me!!” Alice smirked.
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- -----------------------------------------------------------
 
That day Shelly decided to ride to school with Alice to plan my wedding. I thought it was funny that they didn't think my presence was necessary to accomplish their tasks. Relief sunk in at school where the wedding details could not be discussed I thought that Shelly was going to cry when Alice placed her hand over her mouth and told her to pipe down once we got into the parking lot. The only thing that would reflect Nahuel's promise to me is my necklace.
 
Today was one of those odd days where the schedule is adjusted so the student body could attend an assembly. I was immediately bored when I heard of this ongoing, when attending school the first time around I always ended up sick on those days.
 
“Under-aged drinking a skit performed by DARE. It's done every year for middle and high school students” Shelly said as we walked to English.
 
“Like I really information on that!” I laughed.
 
“That's true, you are old enough to drink.” She whispered thoughtfully, I nodded.
 
“Not only that but there is no point to drinking”, she was confused by my statement, “My temperature would burn off the effect. I will never become drunk,” I whispered back, shrugging as if it were nothing.
 
“Oh wow, that kinda sucks, well what about caffeine, does that effect you?”
 
“You mean does it make me jittery? No, I but I do like the occasional coke.” She nodded studying me like a science project I frowned at her slightly perturbed by her stare. Nahuel entered the classroom and instantly my attention shifted.
 
“Hi Nahuel” Shelly laughed, she had spoke to him before he took his seat he hadn't even passed her yet but she knew he was there.
 
“How did you know I was here?”
 
“Her face gave it away,” she laughed once more. She scooted her chair closer to ours so that she could talk more freely.
 
“So what about you, Nahuel can you become intoxicated?”
 
“Only by Leah's beauty” he said surprisingly with a straight face.
 
“Oh wow he is so corny!!” Shelly and I both laughed I put my head down on the desk mainly to hide the blush that was bound to be evident on my cheeks.
 
“Seriously” Shelly said, “Does alcohol affect you?”
 
“No, it's like drinking juice or water, but Leah does affect me in ways that rival narcotics or alcohol.” He said staring in my eyes; the intensity that it brings affected us both.
 
“Why couldn't Seth have imprinted on me, I don't think we've ever looked at each other in that way” I could hear Shelly talking but I could bring myself to break the trance we were now under, then Nahuel finally blinked.
 
“Sorry Shelly, what did you say?”
 
“Oh, nothing just ignore me like I'm not here, for a minute there I thought you two were going to start making out right in front of me” Her phone buzzes she secretly takes it out of her pocket and sighs frustrated by the caller.
 
“Your Uncle?” Nahuel asked.
 
“Yeah it's the fifth time today, I wonder what his deal is?” Her face looked a little worried.
 
“I personally think he can't stand the fact that you're happy. Misery loves company trust me I know.” I smiled and touched her hand she smiled faintly in response.
 
Just then Mr. Cooper handed Shelly a pass to the office.
 
“The guidance counselor would like a word with you Ms. Snyder” With that Shelly was gone and the intense feeling between Nahuel and I resurfaced, pulling him close and connecting with him seemed like the only thing I could focus on. I repositioned myself and sat on my hands. He laughed at my poor attempt not to touch him.
 
“And what is so funny?” I huffed.
 
“I should say nothing like you always do, but being the gentlemen I am I'll answer . . .this” he said pointing to my hands, “is funny . . . you are weak for me” he whispered something seductive in what I assumed was Portuguese in my ear and a chill ran down my back, and he laughed again.
 
“Stop it!” I whispered back my heart had started to race at the nearness of his breath, “We are going to get in trouble.” He laughed once more and took his finger and traced the length of my arm, I refused to look at him, I knew if I did I would lose all control, and I personally did not want detention again. As I continued to look forward I could feel his stare burning the side of my face, his hand traveled from my kneecap up my thigh.
 
“Nahuel, stop it! Why are you torturing me?” I said finally looking him in the eyes then my line of vision traveled to his lips.
 
“Because it was funny at first but perhaps I went to far.” The longing to connect had now reached him too.
 
“I told you we should have stayed home” Just when he went to touch my face the bell rang, we both jumped up abruptly, I sigh of relief escaped me.
 
“I know the feeling,” he said and we exited the class.
 
When I got to art class I noticed a note on my easel.
 
Leah,
 
Went home early with Alice.
 
Shelly
 
That horrible feeling had attacked me again, something told me something wasn't right, but I ignored the feeling and attended class. The class went by quickly due to the reduced time caused by the pointless assembly. Once we were all filed into the auditorium I noticed Alice walk in with Jasper and Bella.
 
“What happened to Shelly?”
 
“What do you mean?”
 
“Didn't you take her home?” Alice shook her head confused.
 
“The note said you were taking her home. Where is she?” I handed Alice the not and as soon as it reached her fingertips she gasped in shock, she had a vision.
 
“What?” Jasper asked, “What is it?”
 
“Shelly . . .. there is so much . . .so much blood.”