Twilight Fan Fiction / Twilight Fan Fiction / Twilight Fan Fiction ❯ Untitled: A Leah Clearwater Story ❯ Chapter 20

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Author's Note: Sorry this chapter is a little short I had an idea that made me cut most of it. Thanks for all of your reviews, please stop by my profile page and answer the poll, Thanks!
 
 
Chapter 20
 
Jacob, Seth, Ren and I went a searching for Shelly, Alice told us that in her vision she saw her by a dumpster it seemed as though she had been left for dead. Alice and Jasper opted out of going for fear they would do more harm than good. We searched high and low in places where her scent strongest, behind restaurants, a library, and lastly, the hardware store. Her body had been shoved in the dumpster and covered with trash. Seth jumped in the and frantically started removing items from the dumpster he finally found her under an old car seat. Anger filled him as he held her, her blood was flowing onto his hands and the smell made Ren gasp and take several steps away from Jacob. Tears fell from Seth's eyes as he looked at her a murmured incomprehensible statements to her, his hands started to shake and he was losing control of his body.
 
“Seth give her to Jacob until you are able to calm yourself.”
 
“What's the point she's dead isn't she?” He said grabbing his temples trying to stop his body from phasing, however the tears still ran, one of the hardest parts of being a shape shifter is temper control, Seth rarely had to deal with this problem because he is normally so happy, but this Seth was someone I hadn't seen in a long time. When our dad died he went through a mild depression, the expression on his face now reminded me of that pain, I stepped toward him and placed my hand on his shoulder.
 
“Wait” Ren said she was still standing as far away as possible, “There's a faint heartbeat, if we hurry her to the hospital they maybe able to save her.” Seth then found calm in knowing that she was still alive and that there was still a chance for her survival, he carried her to my car and I handed my keys to Jacob.
 
“Call Carlisle and get them to the hospital safely.” He frowned at me puzzled.
 
“Where do you think you are going?” Jacob questioned.
 
“I have some business to handle!” I barked.
 
“Oh no you don't Leah, you are not going to lay a hand on that man unless I get a piece of him!” He retaliated trying to place the keys back into my hand.
 
“Don't worry I'll make sure that she doesn't go any where near him.” Ren said now standing beside me, since Shelly had been placed in the car and the smell had to be a lot more bearable. When she stood beside me she showed me a vision of her knocking the guy unconscious just so I would know we were on the same page. Once Jacob was convinced we weren't going to attack the guy he finally took off and Ren and I started another search on foot.
 
“Where do you think he is hiding?” she asked.
 
“Knowing how cocky the guy acted before he is probably at home pretending nothing happened, we should check there first.”
 
As we approached his house we see his pickup truck in the driveway. He definitely committed the crime the scent of Shelly's blood was all over his truck and so was the bleach he used to get rid of the evidence.
 
“I am going to have to hunt after this” Ren said as she passed by the truck covering her nose with both hands.
 
“How can you think about that at a time like this.”
 
“Umm we must have never met, I'm Renesmee Cullen and I am a half vampire,” she said still holding her nose, the smell was all over the front lawn, “Blood equals thirst and it is a little hard to ignore when the scent is EVERYWHERE, anger and thirst is not a good combination of emotions for me to feeling right now, especially when I'm about to reintroduce myself to Shelly's uncle!” Ren smirked.
 
“You're not going to feed off him, he is nasty he probably tastes like pure alcohol.” I laughed and we both grew quiet as we approached the front door. I knocked on the door and the bumbling drunk answered the door, he smiled lamely at us.
 
“What do you fine young girls want?” he took another sip of his beer and eyed us both in what I supposed could be consider a seductive manner; it was either that or gas.
 
“Would you happen to know where Shelly is? Ren asked her temper was evident in the tone she used on this pathetic excuse for a man.
 
“I don't know” he said put his pointer finger on his chin and lost balance momentarily, “I haven't been allowed to see her in months, as if I would want to see the little home wrecker, if anything has happened to her I can't be held responsible” he laughed.
 
“Nobody said anything happened to her, but do you know something?” Ren glared at the man, she was still being a lot nicer than I would have been, I would have definitely hit the man by now.
 
“No, if y'all will excuse me” he went to close the door on us and I blocked him, it was my turn.
 
“Okay you miserable old asshole, now you admit what you've done to Shelly and take the punishment you deserve or else I am going to become angry and I am like whole other animal when I am angry, you don't want me to go there!” I said as I control my breathing I didn't want to phase because I knew I would kill him if I did.
 
“Y'all don't have any proof that I did anything, and if I did do something well I was entitled, I will never get back what that little bitch stole from me!” I approached him as he spoke, he began to slowly stumble backward eventually falling into the recliner behind him.
 
“Y'all don't scare me, two pretty little things like yourselves need to be at home cooking not messing with the likes of me, somebody may get hurt” he snickered nervously.
 
“You're right someone may get hurt” Ren said now beside me, “But it won't be us” she flashed one of those creepy vampire smiles and sped behind the man and hissed in his ear, his heartbeat accelerated and he began to sweat, Ren then roughly pulled his head to side and put her teeth on his skin.
 
“Ren no biting!” I reminded her, “You don't drink trash!”
 
“Right, right” said releasing her grip on him, he tried to squirm away from her and I pushed him back down, made one more attempt that ended up in the same result, “Ready to end this?” she asked looking at her watch, I nodded. I leaned into the recliner there was not even a millimeter of space between this disgusting piece of crap and me.
 
“You hear me, you worthless piece of time, space, and energy, if you come anywhere near Shelly again I will kill you!” With that I raised my hand to hit him and Ren beat me to the punch, I hit him again anyway. After we knocked him out we placed him on the floor and surrounded him with empty beer bottles so no one would believe his story, if he were bold enough to tell it. When we placed him on the floor his head `accidentally' hit the corner of the coffee table, we just laughed knowing any damage done to that man's head would be an improvement to its current mental capacity.
 
“You know as a shape shifter I shouldn't have enjoyed this, being that we are supposed to be the protectors of human life and all of that.” I chuckled as I threw more bottles on the floor.
 
“Well you defended and protected Shelly's life and that should bring you enough console”, Ren said as she dropped the last bottle in her hand and then started awkwardly at the sad soul lying on the floor, “You know you shouldn't have felt bad if we had killed him, death is a part of life, he is alive so he will die there is no getting around it”
 
“Unless you are immortal like us,” I said pointing out or situations.
 
“Touché', but he isn't so what can you do” she said shoving his leg over so she could walk through the mess we had created, “We should get out of here before we are missed. I will have to ask mom to shield my thoughts, I don't think dad will approve.” She laughed.
 
As we walked out of the door we see a silver Volvo pull into the driveway and I thought I heard Ren swallow her tongue.
 
 
“Hey baby!” Jacob said hopping out of the driver's side, “Edward sent me to get you two and bring to the hospital.”
 
“Why are you driving his car?” Edward still had the same car from when he met Bella as well as a few other collectibles but this one he said was special it held sentimental value, or whatever. “I am surprised he trusted you with it.”
 
“He agreed that it would give Ren the heart attack she deserved being that she was to up to no good.” He smiled briefly in her direction, “It seemed to have worked her heartbeat seems to be appropriately through the roof.”
 
“Ha. Ha.” She said hitting hi in the shoulder, a girl after my own heart. Speaking of hearts, mine now ached a little.
 
“Where's Nahuel?” I said checking my cell he would have called me by now.
 
“He's with Seth trying to keep him calm, can't use cell phones in the hospital you know that Leah, besides he is mad at you anyway.” Jacob smirked.
 
“Mad? Why?”
 
“You didn't fill the poor guy in on anything he had to find out from Alice where you were.” Jacob laughed a little, “No but seriously he was worried, I would have been to if I hadn't been informed, so what did you two do to the guy anyway.” Jacob said as he looked back at the house.
 
“Oh nothing we just scared him to death” Ren said laughing
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- -----------------------------------------------------------
 
We got to the hospital and the reality of the situation sat in again, it was very possible in a very short while I could lose someone I truly cared about. I stood outside her room watching as Seth rest his head on her chest his face seemed tortured. My heart cried out there was nothing I could do.
 
“She needs more blood” Nahuel said handing me bottled water and placing his arm around me, both thing I desperately needed.
 
“They don't have enough of her blood type, it is the rarest of type it is very hard to find a donor, without the transfusion they don't think she will make it through the night.”
 
“What! Can't they call another hospital or something?” Ren said joining the conversation.
 
“They did, Carlisle said that the next hospital is too far away, they will not be able to make it to the county until tomorrow and then it may be too late.”
 
“But they are still coming anyway right, just in case” I said with my back to them both but I could see Nahuel studying me through the window, our eyes caught in the reflection and I saw he nod in response.
 
“Well what blood type is she anyway?” Ren said near tears.
 
“AB Negative.” Nahuel replied he had begun rubbing my back as I allowed silent tears to fall.
 
“AB Negative, right” Ren murmured, “I'll be back” she directed her statement more to Jacob letting him know not to follow her.
 
I always considered myself pretty strong, but I couldn't bring myself to enter her room every time I tried my hand would begin to shake and Nahuel would have try to relax my nerves, Jasper also tried to keep the mood calm, but even he was attached to Shelly, and was unnerved by what had happened. That man, I couldn't bring myself to speak his name, had assaulted Shelly in every way possible verbally, physically, and sexually. I don't think any of us could understand why he felt the need to torture the poor girl. Then the statement he had made earlier crossed my mind, how could poor little Shelly have ruined his life? When Rosalie approached me she had only one question.
 
“Did you kill him?” her eyes were filled with rage. I shook my head.
 
“Well why not?”
 
“We felt it would bring too much unwanted attention to our family” Wow I had actually referred to our living arrangement as a family I would have been shocked if the whole situation hadn't left me so numb.
 
“We could have made up an excuse, that man does not deserve to continue breathing!” If Rose could have cried she would have, the crime was so similar to the fate she experienced; the way her fiancé and his friends had abused her and left her for dead was just as inhumane.
 
After a while we all sat in silence, tears started to form as I listened to Shelly's heartbeat as it gradually started to slow, it was so erratic and weak.
 
“Come on, walk with me” Nahuel said extending his hand, I took it unable to deny him anything.
 
“We shouldn't leave her.” I said looking back through her window.
 
“Don't worry we won't go far.” He said gently pulling me along.
 
Nahuel lead me outside into the night air, the wind slapped me in the face and my breath got caught in my throat, I started to cough and then cry. Why did it seem that the people I attached myself to in this world always seemed to disappear? He wrapped his arms around me pressing me tightly against me as if he were trying to take the hurt away.
 
“It's okay to cry Leah, let it out.” He said softly as he rubbed my back.
 
“I need to be strong for her and Seth” I said wiping my tears with my shirt.
 
“I'll will take you back inside when you can do just that but until then” he extended his hand once more, and once more I took it.
 
We walked around the hospital in silence, his nearness was all I needed to bring me enough calm to be strong, rested my head against his shoulder and he released my hand and put his arm around my should instead, he kissed the op of my head.
 
After a few more minutes he lead me back inside. Just as we approached Shelly's room we see Seth and an EMT taking her to an ambulance.
 
“I feel I will be able to better be able to assist her at home.” Carlisle said giving us all a look that let us knew he had an idea. We all followed the ambulance back to the house, Carlisle got Shelly set up in a room and thanked the EMTs for their assistance, as soon as they left Carlisle raced upstairs and connected a bag of blood to Shelly's IV.
 
“I thought there was no more AB negative available?”
 
“There wasn't, I'm still not sure if this is going to work.” Carlisle said as he studied her vitals.
 
“How is Renesmee?” Edward asked; he seemed as concerned about Ren's well being as he did about Shelly.
 
“She is perfect, however she may need to hunt in the near future.”
 
“I'll go check on her.” Bella said exiting the room.
 
“It's Ren's blood!” Seth said shocked, “Can that even work, I mean she is a vampire for God's Sake!”
 
“Half” I corrected him I was in shock myself, I wondered if the slight difference in Ren's DNA would cause any side effect for Shelly would she become `other' like I did or would the foreign materials destroy her. “It may work Seth you just have to trust in what Carlisle is doing.” I said rubbing his back.
 
“This is our only other option.” Carlisle responded as he continued to work he was very focused on the vital monitor, “Any sign of rejection or other abnormality and I will stop the transfusion. Now all we have to do is wait.”