Twilight Fan Fiction / Twilight Fan Fiction ❯ Fate of Our Son ❯ Fate of Our Son ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Fate of Our Son
By: Natilie Sawada
A snapshot of New Moon
Carlisle's POV
First one from his POV, so tell me how I do _
---------------------------
I lost track of time—as I often do when the house is nearly empty. Today it was just Esme and myself, although she was upstairs. I could hear the soft clicking of her nails on the keyboard of her computer.
I was seated on the large couch in the living room, the TV turned down until it was background noise, even for me, the silver cell phone—identical to four others, somewhere in the world—positioned on the clear glass table.
I reached out a hand, straightened the phone to precisely the center, and then withdrew, letting out a sigh.
It had been twenty four hours since Alice had collapsed on our floor, her eyes wide with her vision. Then twelve hours more until we found what Rosalie had done.
I could not speak ill of Rosalie's actions, for it was in the best of intentions her phone call was made. Certain I would want to be informed if my dearest Esme ever…
I shook my head, banishing the thought from its path. But Rosalie was not the one to blame here. No one was. It was all a massive net tangled with strings of pain, and misunderstandings, and good intentions.
And Bella held the knife that could slash though it all. I laughed ruefully.
The weakest, most venerable of us was the one that could save us all.
“Carlisle?” A soft, musical voice asked from behind the couch. I twisted around, craning my neck to see the most beautiful face in the universe gazing down at me, concern shining her large golden eyes. I reached across the back of the couch, grabbing her hand from her side, and leading her around the couch to take a seat beside me.
“What is it, my dear?” I asked, wrapping an arm around her shoulders.
“Is there still no news?” I pressed my lips into her wonderful caramel locks.
“I'm sorry. No.”
“But that still means there's a chance right? It's not noon yet.” Her voice was pleading, desperate.
It was what mine would have sounded like if I had not had the centuries of training and self discipline.
“Of course there is. We still have half an hour. Edward will be fine, Esme. He always manages to pull through. He's a fighter.” She smiled ruefully, wiping her hand under her eyes to erase invisible tears.
“I know he is. Our little Edward…” she paused to take in a shuddering breath. I knew that she would be crying if it were physically possible. Then she turned, tilting her head upwards to gaze into my own. “You have faith in him, don't you Carlisle?”
“Of course I do. I have faith in Edward…possibly more so than any of our other children. I have faith in Edward, and he has faith in Bella. Everything will work out.” Esme, seemingly soothed to the most she would be soothed under the present circumstances, turned her face away from my eyes and leaned into me, resting her head on my chest.
“And then Edward and Bella and Alice and Jasper and Rosalie and Emmett will come home…and we'll be a family again.” I could hear the wistful, desperate hope laced with her words.
“They will,” I agreed softly, stroking her beautiful hair with a pale hand. “Everyone will be here, and this whole thing will be behind us.” I reassured.
“And Edward will tell Bella what a mistake he made,” she continued, “and they'll be back together.”
“And we'll see him smile again,” I murmured, so low I wasn't sure she caught it.
“Yes,” she whispered, “we'll see him smile again.”
Together we waited on the couch while the minutes ticked by…waiting for news on the fate of our most beloved son.
~fin~
I really liked the way that turned out XD
Please review and tell me how you liked it…
And any other one-shot requests you have. I'm in a one-shot mood lately, so I'd be cool to get some ideas.
Thnx!