Twilight Fan Fiction ❯ A Believer In Fiction ❯ Pain ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
A/N: Alright, peeps~ I’m back with chapter 2 of Mandy’s Super Special Twilight Fanfic! I mean, of course that’s not the name of the fanfic, but I just like making Amanda feel special. ^_^ On with the show!

Pain

Pain… That’s all I felt as I slipped in and out of consciousness. All of my muscles seized and trembled under the strain and pressure of the burning agony radiating through my very being. When the pain was dull enough, I would ask myself how long it would take me to die. Why hadn’t anyone discovered me yet? I thought I was still out in the street in front of the restaurant. I was too busy clenching my eyes and grinding my teeth in pain to look at my surroundings. Surely Kaley noticed how long I’d been gone and come outside to find me curled up in a ball in the street, shivering from the intense pain taking over my system. Maybe I was in the hospital, but the comfortable, sterile smell never reached my nose. I couldn’t even take a steady breath, let alone take the time to inhale through my nose long enough to pick up a scent.

However, no matter how much pain I was in, I could still hear. I could hear the unfamiliar voices around me, muffled and hard to make out. Sometimes, I would pick up tidbits of conversation from unfamiliar voices, but other than that it was all a blur. Only as the pain began to finally subside, leaving me in a floating precipice of time and space, did I hear the voice of the woman who attacked me.

“It shouldn’t take long now…”

That’s when I knew I was that much closer to death.

---------

“She should be waking up soon,” I heard a voice say as I felt the pain ebb completely, leaving nothing but the feel of the cold ground in it’s wake. “Jerrod, take her hunting when she does.”

Hunting? I’m supposed to be dead… I thought as my eyes finally drifted open. It was dark, and all I could see were the tops of two buildings and the sky above me. I knew I was in an alley, which is why no one found me, but how did I get there? Suddenly, an overwhelming hunger overtook me, and I sat up quickly to alleviate the ache in my abdomen. It wasn’t like any hunger I’d felt before. It was more primal, like I would eat anything you sat in front of me just as long as it was chewable.

“She’s awake, Victoria.”

“Good.”

I cringed at the familiarity of the voice. It was my attacker. I heard the thud of steel-toed boots on concrete as she made her way over to me.

“She’s even prettier than I thought she’d be,” my attacker-Victoria, my mind supplied-said as she came closer. “Hello… Mandy, was it?”

“That’s Amanda to you, you kidnapping bitch!” I sneered as her pretty face upturned into a smirk.

“Now, now. Such a pretty face shouldn’t scowl like that. It really does nothing for that pretty mouth of yours.”

“Go to hell!”

“Oh, she’s feisty,” A male voice said from behind her. “She’s going to be difficult to train.”

Train? I thought as I stood to my full height. “You’re not training me for a damn thing. I suggest you take me back where you found me, or I’m going to beat both of you to a bloody pulp!”

“Oh my,” Victoria said with a small laugh. “I thought you might do this. So it is with great pleasure that I inform you that you can never go back to the life you once lived.”

My eyes widened, before my face contorted in anger, “What the hell are you talking about?! Take me back to the restaurant and I’ll find my way back home!”

“You’re dead.”

My body felt like a limp noodle when those words left the lips of the man now standing next to Victoria.

“No, I’m not! I’m sitting in a fucking alleyway in Seattle.”

Victoria laughed again, “My dear, you are undead. Alive, yet not.”

Hysterical laughter shook my frame at the ludicrous statement, “So you’re saying I’m a vampire?”

“Yes.”

“Bullshit!” ; My laughter died down to be replaced with anger again. “Just take me back to where you found me, and I won’t go to the cops with your little kidnapping attempt.”

“No.”

“Fine,” I ground out through clenched teeth. “I’ll go myself.”

With that I took off at a dead run, leaving the alleyway behind in a blur. How could I run so fast? I didn’t care at the time. All I wanted to do was get back to Kaley’s and get on with my life. I hit something with an ‘oomph’ and landed on my backside. I looked up and couldn’t stop the death glare from showing itself on my face.

“If you go back to your little friend’s house,” Victoria said with a sneer of her own, “you will end up killing her and anyone else she has living with her. She was with child, so I assume she’s married; may even have more children at home.”

“Kaley and I have been friends since childhood,” I scoffed. “I’d never hurt her!”

“Not intentionally, no,” came her quick reply. “Have you not felt the hunger yet?”

“Hunger?” I cringed when my mouth began to water at the memory of Kaley and her slightly plump figure because of her pregnancy. I felt the telltale sign of tears in the burning sensation at the bridge of my nose and the corners of my eyes. Would I really try to hurt her?

“It’s called bloodlust, my dear,” Victoria said as she held out her hand to help me up. I refused her hand, but stood up on my own. “If your first hunger is not satiated, you will go on a killing spree. Anyone you knew in your past life would be in immediate danger.”

“Why would you care?”

“I care for all of my children, dear Mandy.”

“It’s Amanda,” I growled, impressing myself when the vibration of it reverberated off of the buildings nearby, “and I’m not your child.”
“But aren’t you?” she began with a smile, “I am the one who gave you this life. Immortality.”

“I never said I wanted it!” I yelled as my face was streaked with tears. “I was happy. I just got to Seattle yesterday… I moved in with my best friend and her family so I could finish college… I didn’t want to die and I certainly didn‘t want this!”

“It’s a little late for that, now isn’t it? If you would have refused to leave the restaurant, your little friend would have been the one I turned. That little pistol she has wouldn’t have hurt us. Not only that, the child that she has growing inside of her would have died because her body wouldn’t have been able to sustain life within it. Isn’t it better that it was you instead of her?” Victoria smirked as my face fell with the realization. “Or, since you’re such good friends, I can track her down and turn her. She did have such an alluring scent. I wonder if her children smell the same-”

“Shut up!” I growled as I threw a punch in her direction. She ducked quickly, and her little boyfriend grabbed me up by my throat.

“If you chose not to cooperate, then I will not hesitate to kill you,” he said as his grip on my throat tightened.

“D-do it then, coward!” I growled as my nails dug into his wrist.

“Jerrod.”

He looked over his shoulder at Victoria, then looked back at me with a glare before dropping me on the ground. “Let’s get you something to eat.”

“If you mean ‘let’s kill someone’, no thanks,” I sneered as I stood and dusted myself off. “I’d find a way to kill myself before I killed anyone!”

“Look at her,” Victoria sneered. “She’s acting like a weak little Cullen.”

Cullen? I thought as I returned her sneer full force. “Tsh. Don’t think just because you turned me that I would stoop to your level. You people are the cause of all of these disappearances and all of these murders that have been going on, right? I’ll go to the pound and adopt an animal to eat if I have to. I’m not killing anybody.”

“Good luck finding an animal that will satiate that bloodlust. You are a lost cause. I should have never turned you in the first place. You will obviously be useless to me. Jerrod, kill her.”

I growled and hopped up, using my new speed to my advantage and blocking the blow he tried to send my way. “Let me go peacefully. I’ll go back to Texas if I have to.”

Victoria seemed to consider me for a moment. “Texas is a little bit too sunny for our kind. You’ll be discovered within days. Kill her, Jerrod.”

Again, Jerrod tried to get his hands around my throat, only to have me kick him away and run as fast as I could.

“Let her go,“ I heard Victoria say as I raced away. “She’ll be back soon enough.“

Seattle became a blur as I raced through back roads and city streets. No one seemed to notice me as I flitted by. I was so hungry, and I could smell the blood of anyone I passed. I could practically see it racing through their veins, but I restrained myself from attacking. I wouldn’t kill another human being… ever! I noticed a billboard of me on the highway as I made my way out of the city. It said I’d been missing for a month. Both Kaley and my mother’s numbers were on the bottom of it. I thought of how I was never going to see them again and tears streaked over my cheeks as I ran clear out of Seattle, and didn’t stop until I reached trees.

================

(Two months later)

“She’s acting like a weak little Cullen.”

Victoria’s statement played through my mind as I wandered through the trees, trying to find a deer or something of equal size to drain. Who were the Cullens? Obviously they didn’t live off of the blood of humans, which was why Victoria called them weak, but if they could do it, so could I. The pain in me from the bloodlust was bearable compared to the pain I felt when I was transforming, and I’d be damned if I let it get the best of me.

I was now two months into my life as a vampire, if you could call it a life. I lived in the forest, where I made a little living area in the tops of the trees and fed off of the animals. I kept myself relatively clean in a stream on the far side of the woods and stole clothing from campers when I needed some. I didn’t try to find a town outside of the trees, for fear that my resolve wouldn’t be strong enough and I would hurt someone.

I found a mountain lion hunting and quickly chased it down and made a meal of it. It wasn’t my favorite, I much preferred the taste of a well-aged buck, but those seemed to be out of sight for the time being. After my meal, I went to the stream to clean up, some of the blood had spilled on my hands and smeared on my mouth. I would be full for about two weeks before I had to eat again.

I stared at my reflection in the clear water of the stream and noticed how different I looked from when I was alive. My hair was brighter, falling in thick waves down my back, and my skin was a pale alabaster. When I first came to the forest, my eyes had been a deep blood red, but not they shined a pale amber that made me warm inside. A beam of sunlight came down from the trees and hit my hand, causing it to sparkle like my skin was coated in jewels. I was never this beautiful when I was human, but that didn’t mean I wasn’t still bitter about being ripped away from the life I was making for myself in Seattle. I never got to start school, and I never started work at the car dealership with Luis… and Kaley. Tears formed in my eyes when I thought of my dear friend. I knew she was worried sick and blaming herself for my disappearance, but I didn’t blame her at all for what happened to me. She thought it would have been safe for me to walk right across the street to get her wallet. She didn’t know that we were being watched the minute we stepped out of the van and went into the restaurant.

I’m just glad it was me and not her… I thought as I wiped my tears on the sleeve of the black hoodie I stole from a teenaged girl last week. I was strong enough to keep my mind away from eating anyone who came into the forest to camp, and I steered clear of the hikers that came around on occasion. I noticed when I first came into the forest that Victoria’s scent was thick there, though it had staled from her not being there for a while. I knew that if she ever came back to the forest that I would run, but I was afraid of where I was going to go. I didn’t know anything outside of Seattle… what was beyond the trees on the other side of the dense woods? I decided that when night fell, I was going to investigate. If I needed to run, I needed to know where I was going.