Utena, Revolutionary Girl Fan Fiction ❯ A Tale of Two Princes ❯ The Wind Swept Leaf and the Shadows Grow in the Distance ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Title: A Tale of Two Princes
Chapter 7: The Wind Swept Leaf and the Shadows Grow in the Distance
Rating: PG-13
Poetry is mine
Shoujo-ai Content
Utena and its character do not belong to me. I am just borrowing.
 
"It's nearly ready to begin. We just need this one thing to happen and it will start."
 
The voice pierced through the black void of shadow and illuminated a corner of the darkness with a spark of light. A drip of water hitting a still pool echoed briefly in the distance before a sigh emerged, causing a spark of light in the opposite end of the void.
 
The voice of the sigh replied, "I know."
 
"Once we begin we can not go back. It has to continue until we reach the end."
 
"I know."
 
"I am only reminding you because... I know how you feel about her." There was a twinge of remorse and soft jealousy in the statement.
 
"If there were someone else...but there is no one else."
 
"There may yet be, if we look."
 
"I do not want to see her hurt. I wish there was another, but-"
 
"So you are resolved to continue?"
 
"I am."
 
"Then it shall be done." There was a long pause, a moment when the brief placement of light dulled back into nothingness and then the first voice said, "They're strong, very strong... and this will only make them stronger."
 
"I hope we are doing the right thing."
 
"There is nothing else that could be done. This is all we can do... to save them, and for good."
 
Importance fades to
Gratification fades to
Servitude fadesto
Jealousy fades to
Obsession fades to
Illusion fades to
The beginning
And the beginning is black
It is the drop of water in a still pool
It is a rose poisoned by
The importance of gratification
The servitude of jealousy
The obsession of illusion
Leading to the darkest emotions of the soul
Leading to...
Death...the death of a rose
At first he was not sure where to begin looking. Even Saonji, had the sense to admit in his letter that he could not remember where the girl's dorm was located. He was fairly certain it was off campus and nearer to the town, but again, he admitted his failure to remember. So, Touga was left research the problem.
 
In an unexpected twist in his search he had run into Kozue again, who after a bit of blunt discussion told him where the girl's dorm was.
 
"How is it you know where she's at?"
 
"There are some things, I'm sure even you can live without knowing. But let's just say in an act of charity I did someone a favor and delivered the girl a bundle of roses," Kozue replied and then quickly trotted off.
 
There was something slightly sinister about that answer, which he tried desperately to ignore as he followed the directions given to him to the dorm in question. When he read the name on the door he felt he should have recognized it. After he had knocked and the girl answered the door, he felt deeply ashamed for having ever forgotten her. How could he forget her? How could he so quickly dismiss that little spark and shine of a girl that was regrettably forgettable in appearance, but so notably memorable for her spunk and more importantly, for the person that was her best friend?
 
He wondered if the girl remembered him. He wondered if she remembered the prince, but before he could ponder any further, the brown eyed, ordinary girl spoke, arms akimbo, and that spark jumping into her tone as nearly offended by his presence.
 
"Make it quick Mr. President," and the she huffed and shook her head, apologizing, "Sorry. That was a bit rude, but I... Come in."
 
He nodded and thanked her. He looked around her room and it was the room of an ordinary student, who had average grades, and an average outlook. A million and one invisible love letters all unopened scattered across the floor, hidden by something almost too escapable for words, until suddenly it hit. Like a wash of fresh air, her spirit, and the kind of courage only a girl like her could muster when her closest friend was miserable. Only a girl as ordinary and yet irascible as Wakaba Shinohara would have the gall to tell him to get lost and leave her friend alone.
 
She looked him over curiously and then said, "So what can I do for you?"
 
"I beg your pardon, but someone had requested I-," he stopped and then dug in his pockets for the trinket. He held it out and continued, "Mr. Kyouichi Saonji requested that I deliver this to you. He said it was a trifle, but that it was all he could afford to offer you."
 
With a deep breath the girl took the small wooden barrette in her hands. She lingered over the detail of the design and the soft golden, almost brown, color of the paint and then whispered, "Jerk."
 
"I-"
 
"Don't get cocky, I meant him," she cut in quickly, adding, "Sorry, but...I just..."
 
"He said he owes you much for your kindness."
 
"Does he? Well, does he say why he couldn't give this to me himself?"
 
Touga shrugged, "He has no excuse for himself. Perhaps...perhaps he is not ready for your forgiveness."
 
She grinned and shook her head.
 
Touga started to turn so leave but she stopped him.
 
"Where is she?"
 
He stopped in his tracks and turned to face the girl, blue eyes searching for something he could say, but he had nothing. He did not know, and she picked up on his struggle for an answer, sitting quickly on her bed with a sigh that marked her concern and sadness.
 
"I'd hoped you would know. I miss her, and if anything happened to her-"
 
"You'd have every right to be upset with us." He stood silent for a moment and then said, "It's poor consolation, but would you like his address. He's been traveling a lot, so it may have changed, but I'm sure if you wrote him the letter would-"
 
"That would be nice. I could tell him off for not coming here himself." She looked up at him and after looking him over said, "I still think you're an ass for making her feel like she had to be something she was not... Thank you for this, though, it shows you have some character."
 
He nodded and began to exit, mentioning as he turned the handle to the girl's door, "I'll send you his address. Look for it in your mail box."
 
"If you forget I'll hunt you down."
 
A sly grin snaked across his face, "I might look forward to something like that."
 
Wakaba merely rolled his eyes and watched him exit.
 
All the leaves are falling
Their color turning brown
All the world is changing
Like it's dying to come around
What we say under this cover
What we wish under this sky
It is a poor consolation for dreaming
And a pull to the wondering of why
If ever I see her
Ifever we meet again
I will make sure she know this
That she was my greatest friend
 
"Who is she," Juri's question came in and hit him out of the blue.
 
They had been sitting in silence after a brief discussion about dreams, and letters. The chill of the older part of the library snaking up around their bodies and causing involuntary shivers. He was grinning and then he stopped. He took the question in and immediately went for the obvious reply.
 
"What do you mean?"
 
He watched as her hazel eyes impatiently reflected shock at what seemed to be his denial.
 
"You've had a dubious smirk on your face since you arrived here, and there are few things in this world that would make you do such a thing, for so long, and without the apparent knowledge that you are doing so," Juri stated and then asked again, "So, who is the girl?"
 
"It's nothing," he defended.
 
She arched an eyebrow critically as she pulled another book off a stack and brought it closer.
 
He shook his head, "Honestly, it's...nothing."
 
The arch of her eyebrow sprang a little higher as she watched him speak, and saw that smirk, a waiting smile, slink back into place. She shook her head, shrugged, and brought her attention back to the book in front of her. She flipped a few of the pages and listened to the silence of his own concentration on a book, but it was not on that book. His thoughts were somewhere else. She waited a beat and then, put the book aside, sitting back into her chair when she felt he was going to finally give in.
 
"It was just... It was a breath of fresh air."
 
"I see."
 
He rolled his eyes briefly before chiding, "No you don't. You just say that to get me to say more."
 
"If you insist," at this point a smirk of her own was desperately trying to hide itself at the corner of her mouth.
 
"It was her friend... that girl she used to hang around with before she was pulled into dueling."
 
Juri nodded in recollection, and slightly embarrassed memory. She had spoken with the girl once. She'd been surprised by the girl's guff, but most importantly her devotion...her love for a prince, that was...Well it just seemed so pure.
 
Touga ignored his friend's pointed silence and continued, "I mean, she really doesn't like any of us... Well, I suppose she has a certain like for Saonji, after all but really... She can't stand me."
 
"You have an odd habit of attraction to girl's who don't care for you." She folded her arms across her chest and then said, "But maybe it isn't the dislike that you find so compelling."
 
"Being popular in this school...well, you know what it's like. The girl's will put up anything from you just to get close. They'll blindly agree to whatever you say but she... She is not someone who would let anyone get away with not being himself."
 
Juri sighed, "I would tell you not to fall in love, but I doubt that's the right reaction. She remembers the prince then?"
 
"Yes, she does. She's worried, but then who among us is not?"
 
"Will you pursue her?"
 
Touga waved the question off, "Please, give me some credit, I could hardly pursue her. She'd shove the first bundle of roses I sent her way into my face and slam the door."
 
"Sounds like a match made in heaven," she chuckled.
 
"Shouldn't you be doing some research?"
 
"I should, as should you."
 
There is a voice in the darkness
It calls my name in timely beats
It chills my soul at a stately rhythm
Collecting all fears
Encouraging my doubts
Crawling up my spine
Until at last it settles under the skin
And I heed its warning not to resist
But then I do what I must to tear it off me
I do what I must
And break the shadows like glass
The darkness dawning light
 
Juri walked back to her dorm and stretched as she moved along. She had spent hours in the library with Touga researching, reading, and skimming through volumes of year books and other Ohtori histories for a mention of the fire that had destroyed Numero Hall. They had yet to turn up anything of use, but there were still many books left, not to mention the newspapers. The only thing she really had picked up was that the school was older than anyone really thought it was, that and the fact that the books went to great lengths to avoid discussing the area's ancient history. That made her vaguely uneasy.
 
Under the paler light of the moon she picked up the shadowed figure of Kozue sitting on a bench just before her dorm. She strode up to the girl, who was hugging her knees into her chest in an attempt at comfort.
 
The fencer laid a comforting hand on the girl's shoulder and was taken by the remnants of tears that stained the girl's face.
 
"What's happened?"
 
The girl sighed, bit at the corner of her lip, and then replied, "I told him about my dreams.
 
"I see." She took a quick seat next to the girl, who reflexively leaned away from any contact.
 
"He hates me."
 
"I'm sure he doesn-"
 
"Fine, it isn't hate...It's disgust then. He didn't have to say. It was all over his face. It isn't fair. He should not have been holding onto such high ideals for me," she sighed heavily and continued, "He should have known I was so far in the dark no one could reach me. I'm a wild thing...why would he... And you watch...you just watch Arisugawa, he'll try and act like it never happened. He always does that."
 
There was silence and then Juri closed her eyes and crossed her arms over her chest. She took in a deep breath and then found something to say.
 
"Kozue, your brother loves you. For as long as I have known him all he has ever wanted is to be close to you again. He reaches out for light in order to give some of it to you. Even if you throw it right back at him, he wants you to know that it's there and waiting for your return. It's a bit naïve of him, I have to admit, but it's his way. He'll come around...and... Don't be so sure he'll let this go. I'm sure he'll have something to say about it, if not to you, then to me."
 
"And what will you tell him," she asked, almost scoffing.
 
Hazel eyes opened. She looked over at the girl who was sliding away from her, even though she really wanted to slide closer. She gave a soft smile and said, "I'll advise him to speak of it with you. This is your time to put things...the way you'd like between yourself and your brother. Talk to him, and be prepared to listen when he has a reply."
 
"Is it nice up there on your white horse?"
 
The fencer shook her head, "I'd feel more comfortable on the ground, holding the one I care for close to me."
 
Kozue grinned, "And play in the woods."
 
She stood as if to leave and then turned to Kozue with, "And show her the kind of light that can only be found in wild places."
 
There was a deep swell of emotion that burned under Kozue's chest as she watched Juri walk away. It caught her off guard and offered a word that she was not sure she was ready to fully accept. She never wanted the arms of a prince around her, but she never knew, she never guessed that a panther was the prince of the wild.
 
With a deep breath she trotted off to follow Juri to her dorm.
 
These thorns leave scratches
They scar up the skin
Marring perfection for pain to sink in
Strawberry gashes
Red vine lashes
Oh lovely feeling it permeates the touch
You kiss along them
Your lips erase them
Under your guidance I leave it all behind
I want no roses
I need no thorns
There are other flowers who will not leave me scorned
I'll sit by the river
I'll lean into this hollow tree
And as the storms rain down darkness
These branches will protect me
 
A drop of water in darkness, echoed into the void. The ones that waited there released slow breaths, haut with need. And then as if waking the sighing of lust washed under the sound of water dripping into a calmer pool.
 
"It's time. Everything has been set."
 
"All the cards are out on the table."
 
"I would have said pieces."
 
"They are not pawns. Never forget that. I am not playing with them. This is not a game to me."
 
"I understand. Now, where do we start?"
 
There was a sigh, "We start at the beginning. We start with Death and then we quickly move to Illusion."
 
"And the others will fall in place shortly after. And then..."
 
"Then we end it."
 
"And what do we call this end?"
 
"The end...is ever as the beginning. It ends with Death. Shouldn't you already know this?"
 
"I do. I just want to make sure we're thinking along the same lines."
 
Another sigh, "I don't want-"
"They won't be hurt. I promise."
 
To be continued...