Utena, Revolutionary Girl Fan Fiction ❯ KAMPAI! ❯ Prologue

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Kampai!

It was late one night at a local pub. The usual crowd filled the smoky atmosphere. There was one new chap sitting alone at the bar. The bartender eyed him suspiciously.

"You sure you're of legal age?" The old man in Irish accent asked the chap yet again. The young man scowled and lifted his head to reveal a sour face midst a sea of green hair.

"Of course I am, dammit. Just get me those shots."

The bartender filled 8 shot glasses with vodka and placed them before the young costumer.

"I suppose you can hold your liquor," the old man shrugged.

"Of course I can," the chap mumbled and quickly downed two shots. He wiped his mouth with the back of his hand.

"I normally don't see you in here," the Irish man said, making conversation. "So what's your trouble, lad?"

"No trouble," the young one said and downed another shot.

"Lad, I've been in this place for 33 years. I've seen your kind before. You can't tell me there be no trouble. So tell me. It might help ease your mind."

No reply.

"Fine, lad, I'll begin for you. There be a lady...the source of all your problems."

The troubled man looked up in surprise then down to his next shot glass.

"Come, lad, your face has women markings written all over it; now tell me about the lass."

The young man downed his fourth shot and began fiddling with the empty glass.

"She's a girl I know. We were together once before. God, she's so beautiful. So beautiful and she told me she was my rosebride. Do you know what I'm saying?" He looked at the bartender," She said she was MY rosebride."

The old man nodded his head in understanding. "That's what women say, all of them."

"She's not just any woman," the green hair flared, "she's quiet and respectful and...perfect."

"So what be the trouble then?"

"That damn uncultured clod took her from me and brainwashed her with such profanities. She has been defiled, my dear, dear rosebride." He began to sob.

"There, there, lad, she'll come back to ye."

"No, she won't. She's lost. <sob>"

"Come, come," the bartender placed a tall mug before him, "drink up. Me own special remedy, The Flannery Fix. It's on the house."

The troubled man stared at the strange concoction, which hissed and bubbled about. He took a slight whiff of it and made a face.

"It smells awful."

"Go on, drink up. It'll cure the pains for a good 42 hours."

"I wouldn't drink such a questionable brew, Saionji-san," a voice called from behind.

The young green-haired man of woes turned around at the sound of his name. He scowled again as he saw his old friend Touga Kiryuu standing there smiling. He turned back to the bar, picking up the mug and drinking its contents down to the last drop. Setting the mug down on the counter, he choked for a second.

"What the hell is in that?" He coughed. The bartender only smiled.

"Better not ask. 'Tis a secret."

"Well, it's terrible," Saionji managed finally to catch his breath.

"I warned you, old friend," Touga has sat his pretty little redhead next to him.

"Shut up. What the hell are you doing here?"

"I just heard wind saying you had found your way here. Interesting establishment," he looked around the place.

"And what'll it be for you, lad?" The bartender asked, wiping down a glass.

"Me?"

"Yes, you."

"I'll have what my good old buddy Saionji is having."

"One Flannery Fix coming right up."

"Not that. I meant the shots," Touga replied.

"Right, right," Ol' Flannery chuckled, putting out more shot glasses. "So what brings you to these parts?"

Touga flicked a lock of red-hair behind his shoulder. "Just looking for my dear friend."

"More like spying," Saionji muttered. Touga ignored the remark.

"So, that's it? No woman on ye mind like your friend here."

"Well now that you mention it, I do have a slight setback in my dealings with a woman. But it's not a problem. Eventually, I will get what I want."

"Is that so? A confident one ye are," Flannery whistled.

"Puhh, you're not going to get anything from that confused girl." Saionji cracked.

"Don't be so pessimistic, Saionji-san," he chided then explained to Ol' Flannery. "His woman and my woman are together at the time being."

"I see," Flannery nodded.

"It won't be long, right, Saionji?"

"Whatever you say." Saionji gulped down his 5th shot and rested his chin on the counter. Touga drank his first shot and make a slight face.

"Really, Saionji-san, this isn't worthy of drinking." He set the glass down on the counter and looked to Ol' Flannery. "Do you have anything more tasteful than this?"

"Another pretty one, eh? Alrighty, here's a Rose Shot. You might find it more fitting to your tastes." He poured Touga a shot glass of a faint pink tonic.

"Oh please, Touga, you've such a tender tongue for things," Juri said from beside him. He grinned at her.

"Juri-san, what a pleasant surprise. Have a drink with me."

"Thanks, she readjusted her seating and shot out an order. "Double scotch on rocks."

"Yes, ma'am," Flan called out from behind the counter.

"So, Juri, you don't seem like one to spend time in this environment. What brings you here?"

Juri eyed Touga, as Flan placed her scotch before her. "Isn't that the bartender's line?"

Miki poked his head from the other side of Juri. "Touga-san, Juri-sempai is here because she's feeling sad about..."

"Miki! Don't tell everyone!"

"Sumimasen, Juri-sempai"

Touga was surprised to see Miki here. He most definitely was underage and certainly looked it.

"Miki?"

"Yes, Touga?"

"Here, have a shot," he slid of his vodka shots to MIki.

"Uh, arigatou," the young boy carefully took the shot.

"Drink with me," Touga raised his Rose Shot.

"Ano...hai."

"On the count of three...one, two, three. <gulp>"

Miki quickly swallowed the contents of the shot glass and coughed. Touga laughed as Juri yelled at him.

"Don't do that to Miki, Touga. He's my ride home. Chikusou!"

"I take it you plan to drink quite a bit tonight."

"That would be none of your business."

"I'm with such a talkative bunch tonight...Miki, have another one." He slid another shot down to him, but Juri caught it before it reached him. She glared at Touga then quickly consumed it.

"I said he was my ride home."

"I'll call a cab for the four of us," Touga offered. She made on reply and sipped on her scotch.

"Well, Miki, Miss Juri has agreed, have another one." Another shot was slid down the counter to Miki. This time with no obstruction from Juri. The blue haired boy smiled and kindly thanked Touga before picking it up. As he was about to drink it, a hand took hold of his.

"Are?" Miki looked up at Flannery in shock.

"Are you of legal drinking age, laddie?"

"I, I, I," Miki fumbled for words.

"He's as legal as you can get in this area;" Touga said and laughed as if he had made a joke. Flannery loosened his grip and went on about his business. Miki timidly drank his vodka and coughed again. Touga laughed as Miki smiled back shyly, his cheeks pink with embarrassment and alcohol. He saw Juri starting on her second drink and his smile faded from his face.

"Juri-sempai," he tapped her shoulder.

"Yes, Miki?"

"Don't worry, Juri-sempai. It's not worth all this suffering." Miki's tongue was a bit loose due to his low tolerance lever. "You can find someone else who's just as beautiful and smart and innocent. I mean there are plenty of others. You should start dating again."

"Miki?"

"Yes, Juri-sempai?"

"Please, be quiet."

"Hai..." Miki's shoulders slumped. Flannery smiled.

"The kid's right, Miss. There are plenty of men out there. You don't need to get all upset over the one lad. You're a beautiful lady. You'll find another..." he noticed Miki snickering, "and what are ye laughing about?"

"Sir, Juri-sempai isn't upset over a guy <giggle>."

Flannery is taken aback and looks from Miki to Juri. "Is that so"? Well, pardon me, Miss. let me rephrase that. You're a beautiful lady and there are plenty of other beautiful ladies out there. I'm sure you'll find another. Would you like a Flannery Fix?"

"No thank you, another scotch will do."

Touga had been listening in on this conversation. He was surprised to hear what he was hearing. Juri-san...a.... Well it looks like she won't be his next conquest after all. Such a pity. He looked to his left and observed a quite gleeful Saionji going on about how great it feels to be alive and in such merry company. Flannery pointed out the Fix was taking effect.

"Touga! Come on, let's make a toast!" He raised his empty shot glass. "To my lovely friends of the student council and to End of the World, so that the world may be revolutionized! Here here!"

"Here, here," Touga raised his glass and clinked it with Saionji's. They drank.

"So tell me, Touga, my dear friend, it seems our women are involved with each other."

"Yes, Saionji, it would seem so," Touga mused.

"I have a plan," Saionji slurred.

"Really? And what might that be?"

"Well, it's more of a change of strategy in our game plans."

"Such as?"

"Well, first of all, instead of chasing them, we let them come to us. We'll start acting like we don't need them. See, this will make them want us."

"I see...you may have an idea there, after all."

"Yes! To our brilliant new plan!" Saionji toasted merrily.

Miki on the other side of Touga was having a merry time as well and trying his damnedest to get Juri in the same spirits. She had smiled several times at the sight of Miki's face flushing red for all its worth. He was such a cute little innocent, she thought to herself. Her spirits finally picked up to Miki's delight and the two started up a conversation about music.

"All I'm saying, Miki, is that you play more like Mozart than Chopin."

"How so? My compositions all show the influence of Chopin."

"But you're style of execution is more delicate like Mozart. Don't get me wrong, Chopin is delicate, but not so.... subdued as Mozart and you."

"Subdued?"

"Yes, subdued, like you and Mozart."

"It's not a bad thing, Miki. And anyway it doesn't matter who you play like. The truth is you're an extraordinary composer and musician in your own style." Juri leaned over and kissed his forehead. "Don't let me or anyone else tell you otherwise."

"Ano...hai," Miki blushed under her lips.

The bar received another costumer, this time a regular. The figure slipped the familiar stool at the far end of the bar, isolated and alone. Flannery immediately went to take an order and to strike up a chat.

"Back again so soon."

"Yep."

"The usual?"

"You got it."

"Alrighty then, a Flannery Fix it is." He quickly left to fix it up, when Miki became curious as to who the regular was. H couldn't tell. The person had a hooded cloak on and quietly took the bubbling brew when Flan brought it. Miki strained his ear to listen in on their conversation.

"So I take it, the plan failed," said Flannery.

"Miserably failed. I don't get it, Flan. What else can I do? I'm at my wit's end!"

"I do not know. What all have ye done so already?"

"First I played it all sweet and devoted like, the perfect partner, doing everything to please. But all that resulted was that damn question, 'What do you want to do?' Does is really matter what I want to do? It's not suppose to. I'm here to please you!" The hooded one pounded an angry fist on the countertop.

"Right, right," Flannery rubbed his chin lightly in thought.

"So then, I completely changed strategy. Instead of being coy and obedient, I thought if I were openly flirtatious and aggressive, it'd be a major turn on. So I went for it."

"And?"

"Every time I puckered up, I was cast off to the side. Complete rejection every time."

"Sorry to hear that."

"It's not your fault, Flan. Dammit, why'd I have to fall for this one?"

"Only you can answer that."

The regular let out a heavy sigh and pulled down the hood to reveal a fair face. She glumly sipped on her Flannery Fix. Miki stared, unable to speak. He pulled on Juri's sleeve.

"It's...it's..."

"Miki, what is it?"

"There..." he pointed. Juri glanced over to the end of the counter and squinted.

"Anthy?"

"Himemiya-san!" Miki finally cried out.

The girl looked up to find the whole student council was present. She thought that most odd, but didn't think much of it, for she had troubles to worry about. She returned to her Fix.

"Flan," she called out, "I must be building a tolerance to this stuff."

"Well, lass, I cannot do anything about it. That's the most potent thing I've got."

"Chikusou," Anthy muttered under her breath. Miki approached her.

"Ah...<nervous laughter>, Himemiya-san?"

She looked up at the fidgeting boy. Her quiet green eyes studied his anxiety. She has taken off the trouble some glasses for the moment. They always gave her such a splitting headache. She also has let loose her lengthy purple hair, for having it tightly pinned up in that obnoxious curl gave her a headache as well. She felt better as is, and her casual jeans and sweater completely her look for tonight.

Miki stared and stared and stared. He couldn't help but stare. Anthy had completely transformed herself. He about passed out when she spoke to him.

"Miki, would you like to keep me company while I wallow in my suffering?"

He merely nodded and took the seat next to her. He watched astounded as she quickly finished of her Fix and ordered another.

"Sugoi!" Miki uttered. "<Ahem> Do you come here often, Himemiya-san?"

"Just call me Anthy, Miki, at least while we're here in the pub."

"Hai."

"Yeah, I guess I do. And I suppose the student council's impressions of me have been severely altered in the last fifteen minutes."

"I'll say!"

"Maybe they'll forget it all with several more rounds of drinks?" She mumbled to herself.

"Nani?"

"Nothing," she smiled, "Miki, can I buy you a drink?"

"Iie, kekko desu."

"Please, allow me, you're keeping me company. Let me do this," her eyes seemed to sparkle.

"Hai," Miki agreed. Anthy flagged Flan down and whispered to him.

"One Flannery Fix for the kid."

"Are you sure?" He questioned.

"Yes, yes. Now go make it."

"Coming right up." Flan left.

Saionji, still toasting to all insignificant things, saw Miki talking to a girl. "Atta boy," he thought, "he needs a woman." He attempted to focus his eyes and make out who the girl was. Purple hair...like Anthy's. Mocha skin, tasty looking...like Anthy's. And such delicate (blurry) features, just like Anthy's. He really did wish Anthy were here to join in the festivities, but he supposed Anthy wasn't the type you'd find in a place like this. She was much to cultured and sophisticated for that. And yet his desire to see her was so great that he saw her in this pub talking Miki. He studied the girl some more. No, no, no. It wasn't Anthy. Her clothes were so mediocre and her hair was a mess. Yech. He sighed in disappointment and sipped more of his Fix. It was quite tasty now.

He felt like speaking out loud now and was fortunate to have his old friend Touga to keep him in merry company. He was such a merry ol' chap. A toast to Touga, a merry ol' chap.

"Kampai!"

Touga shifted his attention from the amusing sight of Miki and Anthy drinking together to Saionji. "Did you say something?"

"Yes, I said a toast to you, ol buddy. Kampai!"

"No need for such flattery, old friend."

"Fine," Saionji tried to straighten up. "Then a toast to me. Kampai!"

"Kampai," Touga chuckled and returned his eyes to Miki and Anthy. Quite intriguing. The rosebride has another side. Quite intriguing indeed. He notice Juri now alone, sipping quietly on her drink. He smiled. She really was a beauty...

"<Ahem> Juri-san?"

"What do you want, Mr. President?"

"Can't you call me Touga?" He frowned.

"Sure," she shrugged, "so what's on your mind?"

Touga leaned his head closer to her hers and whispered into her ears. Her emerald eyes flew wide open then narrowed. She remained silent for several minutes before bursting out into hearty laughter. She almost fell out of her stool and took hold of Touga's arm for support, all the while still laughing. She tried to regain her composure.

"Touga-dear, I may be drunk, but I'm not that drunk." She laughed some more. Touga smiled, accepting defeat gracefully.

"Hey you three!" Anthy called out. They all looked up at her and Miki. "Get over here," she waved them over.

Juri picked up her scotch and walked over there without a word. Touga followed in step, as Saionji sat in his seat for a moment longer.

She even sounded like his Anthy, he thought to himself, but he knew it wasn't Anthy. No way on earth was it her. He still managed to convince himself that if he imagined it was really his true Anthy, he'd have more of a pleasant time, so he got up and staggered over to the bunch.

"What do you want, my dear Anthy?" He asked merrily.

"Miki has been telling me of all your troubles with your women. I'm having troubles of my own as well..."

Flan's ear caught news of this. Anthy? Woman problems? Were all the fine lassies that way nowadays?

"...so, I wanted all of us to share a drink, seeing as we share woes."

"Flannery brought 5 mugs filled with bubbling brews and placed one before each of them. Anthy picked one up and raised it in the air.

"I propose a toast," Anthy began.

"Here, here! A toast!" Saionji merrily cried out. Anthy smiled.

"Thank you, Saionji-san. I propose a toast to all our troubles with women. May they resolve themselves. Here, here!"

Flannery watched in amusement. Anthy was quite the deceitful lass. She had him slip an elixir into each of the mugs with the exception of hers. She had explained it would make them forget the past 7 hours of their life. He watched as everyone raised his or her mug to Anthy's with a clang and exclaimed," KAMPAI!"